Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal (No Jrcar or Tony)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal (No Jrcar or Tony) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 12/11/2013 12:58:34 PM   
aoffen

We landed at Moppo with 8 Divisions on Christmas Day 1944. 2 Divisions struck north for Seoul (Keijo) but were stopped by a counterattack at Gunzan and got roughly handled for their efforts. Out airpower forced him to withdraw back into the city after that battle leaving us with Gunzan, but not enough oomph for further forward movement. Most of the force drove east towards Fusan. We were held up for about 10 days by a strong defence of the mountain range at Masan but after we broke that down Fusan fell quickly. Fusan and Moppo are both now level 8 or 9 ports as are Shanghai and Amoy. Moppo is a level 9 airfield and Gunzan, Masan and Fusan are level 7 on the way to 8 or 9. Once the airfield infrastructure and base forces are all in place, the the air offensive will kick off in earnest. Hopefully that coincides with better Spring weather in early March. Operation Olympic is being planned and the forces are moving into place and preparing. I think I will have enough amphibious lift to land 12 divisions plus armour, arty and engineers. I will also have about 2 div equivalents of paratroops. Combine that with my Aircombat deathstar (16 CV's, 12 CVL's & 40CVE's) and about 15 BB's in bombardment support......its going to be a big show.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 211
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 12/11/2013 1:02:09 PM   
aoffen

I forgot to mention, while the China campaign progressed we took Okinawa out prior to surging to Korea. Not sure it was entirely necessary but it makes me feel safer its not available as a Japanese base.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 212
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 12/11/2013 1:18:45 PM   
aoffen

The other key aspect has been the night bomber offensive on the Japanese industrial base. After Formosa was secured I set the bomber fleet up to operate out of Taihoku on the north eastern tip of Formosa. I discovered early on that daylight bombing is impossible without unacceptable losses so serious night manpower bombing got underway in about August 44 and has been going on for close to 6 months now. The B-29's have been firebombing first Osaka then Nagoya then Tokyo and some B-24's have been hitting Nagasaki in a minor way. It is a game of patience and sustained effort, but the Japanese are basically incapable of seriously disrupting night raids so the main enemy is weather and maintenance. Based on recon and Rob's comments, over time the effect is devastating and demoralising. I just picked Tokyo as an example but you can see what the effect ultimately is. With little oil to run HI and his LI being burnt up, supplies are becoming a critical issue. In China I have been seeing IJA supply penalties on virtually every fight over the past 3 months. Having said that a week or so back he threw over over 500 aircraft at my fleet in one day so he still has bite. Luckily for me they all zeroed in on my CV force and were shot to shreds by my CAP with no damage to ships. A hex back and undetected were significant numbers of ships that had separated from the CV force and had no CAP, so a minor disaster was narrowly averted. My CV's are so strong my fleet can go anywhere I want it to, but need to be in full strength and I still have to be very careful as any misstep and his airpower is all over me.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by aoffen -- 12/11/2013 2:20:38 PM >

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 213
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 12/12/2013 4:19:35 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Well done. Bases in southern Korea by January 1945 means you'll be able to really hit Japan hard.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 214
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 12/23/2013 4:25:24 PM   
Wuffer

Thx for the detailled update!
A formidable change, to say the least,
It's allways very interesting to look at the outcome, especially in this case. Just re-read Rob and Tony's AAR, fascinating how quick you could advance after your landing in Sabang and destroying their economic basis. Guess both sides will handle a lot of things now differently if there were a restart...
Maybe we could motivate Rob to add something after all is done and the daily struggle is forgotten. Kudos to both parties!

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 215
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal (No Jrcar or Tony) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI