Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Support unit specialities

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Support unit specialities Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Support unit specialities - 12/20/2010 11:08:05 PM   
squatter

Now, this may be in the manual so forgive me.

I'm still wondering about the relative value of different support units aside from the CV they bring.

Now, we all know that different weapons perform differently at varying ranges, so direct fire guns will be good in open situations. But what other factors are at play?

Do engineers have a bonus against fortifications?

Do howitzers and large calibre have a bonus against fortifications?

Are towed guns better in defence than attack when, for example, in open terrain?

Do motorcycle units provide better detection levels for nearby enemy units?

Are self-propelled guns better in attack than towed guns?

Regarding support attachment strategies, does it make sense for formations that are on the defensive to keep support units at the corps level as you cant control exactly which combat unit will be attacked, whereas for offensive formations, better to attach at the div level as you know which units are going to fight, and therefore where to put the support?

And one last thing - what exactly is the AP cost to transfering support units representing? The AI is allowed to make unlimited support unit transfers on your behalf, but you are not. Isnt the penalty for transfering support units the fact that they are in transit for a turn? Shouldnt perhaps support unit transfers not incur an AP cost? You are not limited for the amount of airgroup transfers, for example?

Sorry, one more: do support unit transfers cost fuel/motorpool?

Post #: 1
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 8:48:39 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

Now, this may be in the manual so forgive me.

I'm still wondering about the relative value of different support units aside from the CV they bring.

Now, we all know that different weapons perform differently at varying ranges, so direct fire guns will be good in open situations. But what other factors are at play?

Do engineers have a bonus against fortifications?

Do howitzers and large calibre have a bonus against fortifications?

Are towed guns better in defence than attack when, for example, in open terrain?

Do motorcycle units provide better detection levels for nearby enemy units?

Are self-propelled guns better in attack than towed guns?

Regarding support attachment strategies, does it make sense for formations that are on the defensive to keep support units at the corps level as you cant control exactly which combat unit will be attacked, whereas for offensive formations, better to attach at the div level as you know which units are going to fight, and therefore where to put the support?

And one last thing - what exactly is the AP cost to transfering support units representing? The AI is allowed to make unlimited support unit transfers on your behalf, but you are not. Isnt the penalty for transfering support units the fact that they are in transit for a turn? Shouldnt perhaps support unit transfers not incur an AP cost? You are not limited for the amount of airgroup transfers, for example?

The engineers most certainly do help against fortifications - in fact they are "must have" if you wish to tackle the fortified enemy position!

IIRC this should be in manual as well.

As for your other questions all ready elements (i.e. squads and all guns and AFVs) have a chance (but depending on some dice rolls of course) to engage enemy at various ranges!

Thus certain guns will be better than the other guns depending on the situation!!!

IIRC there is no bonus for recon and motorcycle units.

Also please note that directly attached Support Units (i.e. to germane Divisions and Soviet Corps) will alway be present in battle whilst all other Support units attached to parent HQs (up the chain of the command) will participate in combat depending on many many circumstances (including dice rolls and other limitations - including MAX number limitation - this is all explained in manual as well)!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
If you set the combat message resolution to most detailed (and slowest) you can see for yourself when different element engage each other in combat!

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 2
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 1:19:42 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

That depends on your defensive situation, but it makes sense.

quote:

You pay AP's for having direct control, basically.

quote:

There should already be vehicles in the unit, if the unit uses vehicles, so the motor pool should not be pillaged by support units. I also don't think they use fuel when transferring as it isn't an actual movement, but I might be wrong.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 3
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 5:52:19 PM   
Speedysteve

Quick Q on Construction support units. If I have them in Corps HQ will they automatically be sent to help fort construction on the frontlines?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 4
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 6:30:26 PM   
ComradeP

Within 5 hexes and when not repairing a nearby rail line, yes.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 5
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 6:55:18 PM   
SgtKachalin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP
Within 5 hexes and when not repairing a nearby rail line, yes.

Automatically? 7.6.4 implies that both range and leadership can affect this. Though it happens "automatically".

Or am I totally in the weeds? (Deciphering 7.6.4 is a chore IMO...)

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 6
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 6:57:02 PM   
ComradeP

Edit: OK, I remembered that rule incorrectly. A leader admin check is required and each construction unit can assist 1 combat unit each turn.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 12/21/2010 7:01:30 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to SgtKachalin)
Post #: 7
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 7:00:47 PM   
karonagames

15.3.2.2 on page 205 explains the support unit entrenchment assistance rules.

It's only a Game

Post #: 8
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 7:01:46 PM   
SgtKachalin

I think 7.6.4 is non-combat support; it happens during logistics. And this from the manual:

quote:

Game Play Info: The above type of HQ support using support squad
ground elements should not be confused with headquarter units
providing support units during combat (15.4) or supply tracing and
receiving ( 20.4).

Then again I could be all wet! Great game... manual is great in areas but... less so in others.

< Message edited by Sgt Barker -- 12/21/2010 7:02:15 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 9
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 7:02:27 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

15.3.2.2. SUPPORT UNIT ASSIST TO FORT LEVEL CONSTRUCTION
Construction and engineer support units attached to headquarters units in the combat unit’s
chain of command can assist those combat units in constructing fort levels if the applicable
headquarters unit passes a leader admin check.

The headquarters unit that the combat unit is directly attached must be within five hexes of that combat unit. In addition, no more than three levels of headquarters units in the combat units chain of command can assist, and each higher headquarters unit that may provide support units must be within five hexes of the next
lower level headquarters unit.

For example, in order for construction and engineer support units to assist down the entire eligible chain of command, a German combat unit attached to a Corps headquarters unit must be able to trace five hexes back to that Corps HQ unit.

The Corps HQ unit in turn must be able to trace five hexes back to the Army HQ unit to which it is
attached, and finally the Army HQ unit must be able to trace five hexes back to the Army Group
HQ. In the above example, if the unit was within 5 hexes of its Corps HQ but the Corps was not
within 5 HQ of its Army HQ, then only support units in the Corps HQ would be able to potentially
assist the unit. Each eligible support unit may assist the fort level building of no more than one
combat unit per turn.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

Post #: 10
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 7:03:40 PM   
SgtKachalin

OK, but then what "support" is 7.6.4 referring to?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 11
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 7:05:18 PM   
ComradeP

Support from a HQ

quote:

Game Play Info: The above type of HQ support using support squad
ground elements should not be confused with headquarter units
providing support units during combat (15.4) or supply tracing and
receiving ( 20.4).

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

Post #: 12
RE: Support unit specialities - 12/21/2010 9:24:24 PM   
Speedysteve

Thanks guys

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Support unit specialities Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI