Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I don't want to play anymore

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: I don't want to play anymore Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 4:50:30 PM   
Flaviusx

Pieter, motorized or not, in my experience freshly leg reactivated units do not get a whole lot of MPs.

Treale: I thought this was 11 turns into a game. Not 2. So, yeah. Strange.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 121
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 4:50:52 PM   
Toby42

The screenshot says Turn 2, but the date is 8/28/1941? Can this be right?

Tony

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 122
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 4:54:49 PM   
Flaviusx

FSP, your latest screenshot shows this as Soviet turn 1.

Send a save to us. There's something odd going on here in several respects.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 123
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 4:57:14 PM   
Toby42

Look farther to the left on the information bar. It says: (Save turn 010 8-21-1941 So.scn) ???

Tony

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 124
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 5:33:12 PM   
fsp

The first screenshot with the units (almost) in the bag is my turn 10.
The second screenhot, with them gone, is turn 11.

To make the screenshots, I changed the file extensions of the Soviet saves to scn and loaded them as a scenario with both players human. Don't know how else to make the screenshots.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 125
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 5:44:57 PM   
Helpless

quote:

The first screenshot with the units (almost) in the bag is my turn 10.
The second screenhot, with them gone, is turn 11.

To make the screenshots, I changed the file extensions of the Soviet saves to scn and loaded them as a scenario with both players human. Don't know how else to make the screenshots.

If you play AI you can disable AI move in game options and it will give control next logistic phase.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 126
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 7:25:37 PM   
Joel Billings

It would be great to get a save before the AI move. Was that deleted? If not, please send to 2by3@2by3games.com. If the hexes in the north are not German controlled, then a move out of the pocket can be done in such a way to only pay one extra MP (the cost of leaving an enemy units ZOC). For this reason, most of the units could get out or at least close to getting out of the pocket. Those with 1 MP are an oddity that would need to be explained and I'd need a save to see what's going on. Even if all you have is the modified file that you used to take the screenshot, please send that as it would provide some information.

As for the mechanism of units having to be isolated (surrounded for a turn) to surrender instead of rout, this was a conscious design decision. Attacking units while the pocket is being formed could lead to them streaming to the rear before the pocket is closed. Leaving them alone would give you a chance to pocket them before they knew that they were in trouble. Given the IGOUGO system, no solution is perfect and a designer uses many tools and abstractions to provide a way for the game to simulate history and provide options for the players. This is one of the big ones that Gary came up with, and we think it works. You need to know the rule so you can make the decision that you think is best for the situation you are facing.

As several have stated there were many pockets that were not properly closed and in which many soldiers escaped. This looks like one of those situations. I'd still like to see the saves if you have them so we can rule out any overly aggressive cheat move by the AI.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 127
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 7:51:39 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Again I stress that the German units should be considered as getting into position during the Soviet players turn due to the system the game uses. Penalties should not be imposed until 1 turn of isolation has occurred, otherwise it’s not fair to the defense.

Ok, Jim, but just for argument's sake (until the facts can be clarified about this specific pocket),if what you say is true, it seems to imply that in principle one can NEVER create a pocket, because the AI opponent, as soon as he sees the pocket closing, could immediately fly out of the pocket.

I have nothing against units trying to break out of the pocket as some have indicated would be possible with this specific pocket, nor against taking into account that moves should be simultaneous, but it seems to me that the AI should be obliged to follow the rules for the cost of entering zones of control and submit to penalties for being low on supplies etc.

You make a game "Igougo", you live with the consequences!...

After all, what compensations are given to the human player for moves not being simultaneous? If I get stuck in a pocket, tough luck for me!("Hey General Zhukov, no fair, you surrounded me while I wasn't looking, so why don't you let me just rout outta here while YOU are not looking?")

Henri

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 128
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 7:57:31 PM   
JAMiAM

Just to throw out a theory here, but it seems to me that many of the units that were inside the pocket were disbanded, or merged with other units. There are several units inside the pocket for the first screenshot that are nowhere to be found in the second. I tend to think that perhaps the AI moved what it could save, and disbanded the rest. It's what I would have done, at least.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 129
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 8:09:19 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

Ok, Jim, but just for argument's sake (until the facts can be clarified about this specific pocket),if what you say is true, it seems to imply that in principle one can NEVER create a pocket, because the AI opponent, as soon as he sees the pocket closing, could immediately fly out of the pocket.

But players do pocket the AI pretty often so, on principle, the AI gets pocketted at least some of the time.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 130
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 8:21:40 PM   
Kel

I agree with our friend.

1/The fact that even quite well done pockets (with only one tiny hole) will see almost all pocketed units escape is quite frustrating. Especially when you read book after book about the fact that even loosely closed pockets managed to bag huge number of soviet units. In a nutshell : things seem to go a little bit too smoothly for units in a pocket, and it does not feel right. Pockets, even incomplete one are not the chaos and logistic nightmare we feel they should be, when inadequate commanders are in charge. The supernatural knowledge of the soviet units to find their way out is a bit too much.
SUGGESTION : I would enjoy some more friction and attrition here : maybe the "fall-back-and-escape-the-pocket" AI routine could leave some units without the orders ?

2/ Second point : a routed (and supposedly exhausted and disorganized) infantry division can make 3 or 4 times the distance of the panzer divisions who are chasing it. It seems to be a bit too much.
SUGGESTION : I would advise a tweak to the behaviour of routed units making them able to retrat once at running speed. But not twice: if a routed unit gets in contacta second time with a division-level combat unit, the exhausted guys would simply collapse of fatigue and constitute themselve prisonners - the unit disappears.

That said, lets congratulate one more time the designers and testers for this (still a bit rough) diamond.

< Message edited by Kelblau -- 12/22/2010 9:43:41 PM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 131
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 8:29:20 PM   
Joel Billings

Once you are proficient, you will be able to pocket the AI (and human players). You can't expect to be as good at it as you will be after some game experience.

Disbanding is not possible when too close to the enemy, so that can't explain the movement.

Having looked at the situation, all the units in static mode could have gotten to 2 hexes south of the 2 hex opening at the north end of the pocket. Almost all other units could at least get to the 2 hexes that are open at the north of the pocket, and many can get clear of the pocket. It takes 12 MPs to clear the pocket for those at the very south end (9 hexes plus 2 MPs for leaving 2 zocs plus 1 mp for going over a stream). I would expect 75% of the units in the pocket to have made it out, but that there'd be a clump of units in the hexes at the top of the pocket and just south of it. Were there any units left in the pocket when you played the next turn?

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 132
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 9:38:23 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelblau

I agree with our friend.

1/The fact that even quite well done pockets (with only one tiny hole) will see almost all pocketed units is extremely frustrating. Especially when you read books after books about the fact that even loosely closed pockets managed to bag huge number of soviet units. To put it in a nutshell : things seem to go a little bit too smoothly in a pocket, and it does not feel right. Pockets, even incomplete one are not the chaos and logistic nightmare we feel they should be, when inadequate commanders are in charge. The supernatural knowledge of the soviet units to find the way out is a bit too much.
SUGGESTION : I would enjoy some more friction and attrition here : maybe the "fall-back-and-escape-the-pocket" AI routine could leave some units without the orders ?

2/ Second point : a routed (and supposedly exhausted and disorganized) infantry division can make 3 or 4 times the distance of the panzer divisions who are chasing it. It seems to be a bit too much.
SUGGESTION : I would advise a tweak to the behaviour of routed units making them able to retrat once at running speed. But not twice: if a routed unit gets in contacta second time with a division-level combat unit, the exhausted guys would simply collapse of fatigue and constitute themselve prisonners - the unit disappears.

That said, lets congratulate one more time the designers and testers for this (still a bit rough) diamond.

Have to agree with the above, as however much this may comply with the rules, it doesn't look right. It's been said that the pocketed units have a chance to move out of the pocket in simulated simultaneous movement. So they all knew where the gap was going to be, at a time-scale before the gap was finalised, none of them blundered into the encircling units, no traffic hold-ups, as all these units slip effortlessly through the narrowing gap.

There just has to be a penalty of some sort, even to make it possible to attack in the first turn of the pocket, without giving routed units a helping hand out of the pocket. There could be a chance element as to which way they rout and how far they go, some may just go to ground, some may move away from attacking units, even if that is further into the pocket.

(in reply to Kel)
Post #: 133
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 10:36:46 PM   
jomni

Maybe those 1MP units in the south disintegrated due to attrition...
Can fsp send that screenshot with combat location overlay turned on?
And a lot of people have been asking for the first screen screenshot with enemy control overlay turned on but he hasn't sent us anything yet.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 134
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/22/2010 11:21:38 PM   
Joel Billings

All the hexes not occupied by German units are Soviet controlled hexes. That's why so many units could get out easily without having to make a ZOC to ZOC move or a move into an enemy controlled hex.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 135
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 9:32:14 AM   
fsp

Hi Joel,

I just sent you two saves, the one before the AI turn and the one after. I think those are the two that should matter, the one that got overwritten was the one from the German turn.

I still like most of the design decisions taken, given the fact that really huge numbers of Russian soldiers did escape those pockets. However, mostly they did not do so as coherent formation but as manpower.

To make it very clear: Both of those two hexes are controlled by the Soviets. I did not know that a brigade does not exercise the same amout of ZOC (makes sense though). On the other hand, should it matter that much in a case like this? Talking real life: To leave this pocket, you'd have to pass by either the SS brigade or the two divisons east, which would see you lose at least some troops, if around 500,000 men are passing through a 20 mile hole. I know the design decisions you have to take there might come back to hound you, still...

Also, I am still a bit confused what happened with those 1 MP units.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 136
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 2:19:16 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: fsp
Talking real life: To leave this pocket, you'd have to pass by either the SS brigade or the two divisons east, which would see you lose at least some troops, if around 500,000 men are passing through a 20 mile hole. I know the design decisions you have to take there might come back to hound you, still...

If a unit can rout out of a pocket then why wouldn't it also be possible for them to escape in good order? Since the game is designed to sort of take into account the Soviet actions while the Germans are moving, maybe you can think of them as having moved north as the Germans were encircling them.

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 137
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 2:42:36 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

So they all knew where the gap was going to be, at a time-scale before the gap was finalised, none of them blundered into the encircling units, no traffic hold-ups, as all these units slip effortlessly through the narrowing gap.

In terms of not-quite virtual simultaneity, if the gap wasn't finalized, then they wouldn't have to know exactly where it was, only that they had to rush north. They might be imagined as passing through the future/past path of the moving encirclers either before or after they had gone by. After all confusion might just as well afflict the encirclers -- perhaps even more so since they are expecting to meet up with friendly troops coming from the opposite direction, but they don't know when where or how, whereas the escaping troops just have to avoid any encounters.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 138
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 3:03:15 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MengJiao
In terms of not-quite virtual simultaneity, if the gap wasn't finalized, then they wouldn't have to know exactly where it was, only that they had to rush north. They might be imagined as passing through the future/past path of the moving encirclers either before or after they had gone by. After all confusion might just as well afflict the encirclers -- perhaps even more so since they are expecting to meet up with friendly troops coming from the opposite direction, but they don't know when where or how, whereas the escaping troops just have to avoid any encounters.

I still think it is rather unrealistic to have to shut off every possible avenue of escape to avoid a pocket emptying out. Again, many units would not even know they were encircled, would be waiting for orders that never came, would here that there was a gap to the north, not to the west, etc., resulting in a large bag of encircled units. In WiTe, you leave a one hex gap and -POOF- the pocket is empty. That's not right...

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 139
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 3:10:52 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

I still think it is rather unrealistic to have to shut off every possible avenue of escape to avoid a pocket emptying out. Again, many units would not even know they were encircled, would be waiting for orders that never came, would here that there was a gap to the north, not to the west, etc., resulting in a large bag of encircled units. In WiTe, you leave a one hex gap and -POOF- the pocket is empty. That's not right...

Realistically the encirclers would be more confused than the encircled. The encircled just have to get out, the encirclers have to go deep into enemy territory, strung with transport along winding routes at top speed, get to some unknown location in some time frame, find all the other encirclers, stay suppplied and in contact with their own forces and be prepared to react to threats from any direction. The encircled just have to stay out of contact and get away through familiar territory.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 140
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 6:45:17 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

Realistically the encirclers would be more confused than the encircled. The encircled just have to get out, the encirclers have to go deep into enemy territory, strung with transport along winding routes at top speed, get to some unknown location in some time frame, find all the other encirclers, stay suppplied and in contact with their own forces and be prepared to react to threats from any direction. The encircled just have to stay out of contact and get away through familiar territory.

I don't follow the logic here, the encirclers have the initiative, they know the event is about to take place, they may have been planning and briefing for days, they have a plan, they know where they are required to go, through recon they may already know where the opposition is. The defenders have few of these advantages, they have to react to events, at short notice, driven by a plan that they don't know the details off (with exception of events such as Kursk).

Except that with IGOUGO, the defender seems to get to see the opposition plan fully unfold, then gets a chance to react to it, therefore I still think that there needs to be some penalty to reflect the realistic situation of defenders reacting to events as they happen and not after they have happened. In reality some units would flee through any gaps, but some would blunder into encircling units and be forced to try to fight their way out.

It is early days and I would not want to prejudge the issue, but the event under discussion does seem odd.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 141
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 7:27:54 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

quote:

I don't follow the logic here, the encirclers have the initiative, they know the event is about to take place, they may have been planning and briefing for days, they have a plan, they know where they are required to go, through recon they may already know where the opposition is. The defenders have few of these advantages, they have to react to events, at short notice, driven by a plan that they don't know the details off (with exception of events such as Kursk).

Except that with IGOUGO, the defender seems to get to see the opposition plan fully unfold, then gets a chance to react to it, therefore I still think that there needs to be some penalty to reflect the realistic situation of defenders reacting to events as they happen and not after they have happened. In reality some units would flee through any gaps, but some would blunder into encircling units and be forced to try to fight their way out.

It is early days and I would not want to prejudge the issue, but the event under discussion does seem odd.

The event seems odd, but about the game mechanics of encirclement, there may be more logic to letting encircled forces escape if there is any doubt at all about the completeness of the encirclement. For example, a 10-mile gap in an encirclement is not just a little cosmetic issue, it suggests the whole encirclement plan and execution has a lot of problems. If the encirclers had all this planning and if they know where they are going, then why the gap? Clearly the plan wasn't quite working as planned and who can tell what else might have been way off. Maybe there was no plan. Maybe the encirclers have no idea they are encircling anything. Maybe the timing was off for much longer than it seems and maybe all of that adds up to a lot of escape routes for the encircled. Remember, the encircled don't need a plan and are withdrawing along their supply routes and could well have much better communications than the encirclers. They just have to get out fast.

I agree some kind of penalties would be reasonable for these fast escapes and I've seen signs of such things in my own troops when they escaped from seemingly impossible situations (though I could have been misreading that since they had been through some nasty fighting). Perhaps extra booty (trucks? supplies? APs?) and morale for the encirclers.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 142
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/23/2010 8:43:49 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I am playing the GC and finally took Smolensk on turn 15. Thats one thing I love about this game-taking Smolensk was game unto its self. Now on to Moscow. Reading and learning the game as I go. You can feel the difference of each campaign area in the game-North-Center-and south. So FSP don't lose faith. I am struggling myself....But thats whats great about it....Now back to Moscow

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 143
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 10:13:07 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

Maybe there was no plan. Maybe the encirclers have no idea they are encircling anything. Maybe the timing was off for much longer than it seems and maybe all of that adds up to a lot of escape routes for the encircled. Remember, the encircled don't need a plan and are withdrawing along their supply routes and could well have much better communications than the encirclers. They just have to get out fast.

The Germans did not launch over 3 million men and 1000s of tanks into Russia without a plan, from Hitler Directives, through Armee Group, Panzer Group, Armee, Korps, Division, Luftwaffe, Artillery, etc, etc, there were detailed plans. The whole ethos of Blitzkrieg is the encircling movement by combined armoured, infantry and air forces and they know there are Russian forces they wish to encircle.

Either way, in the chaos of these gigantic battles, huges forces, many on foot, cannot simply disappear from the main combat area at will, whilst a highly competent mobile force doesn't see them go.

I don't say the no Russians can escape the pocket (we know that huge numbers did), I am just suprised that, in the example given, no Soviet units had to fight to escape, they all seemed to be able to swiftly march out of danger, along safe routes, evading any contact with enemy units.

I repeat, I don't want to prejudge the Campaign that I have not played yet (the testers have played 1000s of hours, we haven't) and I am aware of the potential effects of IgoUgo turn system, but it just doesn't feel right and I suggest that there are ways to modify the parameters, to reflect the advantages of the initiative the attacker holds.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 144
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 1:00:41 PM   
vinnie71

Maybe they got railed out of the pocket???

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 145
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 1:26:37 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder
Maybe they got railed out of the pocket???

Yeah, all Russian units would be season ticket holders, probably reduced rates for groups.

It doesn't matter how they travelled, it is inconceivable that they all knew, in advance, which was the safe way to go and that, at the last moment, such a huge movement of forces could be accomplished. I emphasis again, some units may have got clean away, but surely some of them would have encountered enemy units and had to attempt to fight there way out.

A pure interpretation of IGOUGO seems to be giving a 'Get out of jail free' card, there should be some additional effects, to reflect that the the attacker will have moved, before the defender can fully react.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 146
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 1:40:27 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

quote:

Maybe there was no plan. Maybe the encirclers have no idea they are encircling anything. Maybe the timing was off for much longer than it seems and maybe all of that adds up to a lot of escape routes for the encircled. Remember, the encircled don't need a plan and are withdrawing along their supply routes and could well have much better communications than the encirclers. They just have to get out fast.

The Germans did not launch over 3 million men and 1000s of tanks into Russia without a plan, from Hitler Directives, through Armee Group, Panzer Group, Armee, Korps, Division, Luftwaffe, Artillery, etc, etc, there were detailed plans. The whole ethos of Blitzkrieg is the encircling movement by combined armoured, infantry and air forces and they know there are Russian forces they wish to encircle.

Either way, in the chaos of these gigantic battles, huges forces, many on foot, cannot simply disappear from the main combat area at will, whilst a highly competent mobile force doesn't see them go.

I don't say the no Russians can escape the pocket (we know that huge numbers did), I am just suprised that, in the example given, no Soviet units had to fight to escape, they all seemed to be able to swiftly march out of danger, along safe routes, evading any contact with enemy units.

I repeat, I don't want to prejudge the Campaign that I have not played yet (the testers have played 1000s of hours, we haven't) and I am aware of the potential effects of IgoUgo turn system, but it just doesn't feel right and I suggest that there are ways to modify the parameters, to reflect the advantages of the initiative the attacker holds.

The attacker isn't magical just because he thinks he knows where he is going. In the context of an encirclement the attacker is in an even more difficult position especially with regards to timing and context. The attack is far more difficult than defense and running away is much, much easier than getting a whole set of armies into position to catch everybody who is trying to run away.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 147
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 1:59:29 PM   
76mm

quote:

The attacker isn't magical just because he thinks he knows where he is going. In the context of an encirclement the attacker is in an even more difficult position especially with regards to timing and context. The attack is far more difficult than defense and running away is much, much easier than getting a whole set of armies into position to catch everybody who is trying to run away.

And yet the Germans did just that, bagging hundreds of thousands of prisoners in a matter of weeks. Isn't that proof enough that Soviet forces should not be able to evaporate out of a pocket?

I have only played a few smallish scenarios so far, have closed some smallish pockets and missed some bigger ones, but the speed with which they empty is amazing.

But the main point is that the computer should not be able to move in ways that a human player cannot, such as ignoring ZoCs (if that is what is happening).

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 148
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 2:40:23 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

Which way do you run ? A retreat order is given, enemy units which can move faster than you are moving somewhere in the rear and you don't know where they are headed, which way is safe ? You said earlier that troops retreat down their own supply lines, that is correct and those lines of communications are the first thing that the enemy will cut. It would be reasonable to assume that at least some (I never said catch everybody)of the retreating units might run into the encircling forces. That didn't seem to happen in the example given.

Under a strict interpretation of IGOUGO the defender gets to react to the enemy moves after that move is complete, so unsurprisingly all the escaping units head for the small gap remaining(in reality some time will be lost in finding out what's going on and deciding a reaction). It's called inertia, it takes time to get things moving, the enemy has done all his planning and orders before the move is enacted, therefore does not suffer from as much inertia. Try and keep up with someone who is already running when they go past you. Unless some other penalty is introduced, there will be an unrealistic representation of the actual events.

I have no doubt that the developers and testers will have confronted this issue before and it remains to be seen whether it will warrant more attention. It doesn't matter what you and I think, it's their view that counts, as to whether anything needs, or can be fixed.

Last word - Look at the pictures of the faces of the 100,000s of Russian troops who experienced encirclement by the Germans, I don't think they look like defence, retreat and running away is the 'much, much easier' option.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 149
RE: I don't want to play anymore - 12/24/2010 2:42:08 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

And yet the Germans did just that, bagging hundreds of thousands of prisoners in a matter of weeks. Isn't that proof enough that Soviet forces should not be able to evaporate out of a pocket?

It's not much of a game if the Germans just duplicate 1941 over and over. I think to get some variability in the flow of the game, you have to be pretty exacting when it comes to the requirements for duplicating 1941-style pockets. If the game in 1941 comes down to producing pockets on schedule, then that seems pretty pointless. Players might as well just skip it and move on to 1942, which is what I've done. I assume the pockets happened and 3 million Russians went off to starve, but what's the point, game-wise of duplicating that? I'd rather play out 1942 where there is no pre-determined pocketing schedule. Heaven knows even the AI isn't going to let an army get pocketed at Stalingrad.

Actually, you could say the same thing for 1941. Heaven knows even the AI isn't going to let most of the army get pocketed, but what's obvious for the German AI is apparently not obvious for the Russian AI.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: I don't want to play anymore Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI