Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/6/2011 3:47:12 PM   
cantona2

So is LotRo free to play then?

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to xripcurrent)
Post #: 91
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/6/2011 4:35:45 PM   
hadberz

quote:

So is LotRo free to play then?

Yep it's free, but that's only 3 quest packs. The rest of the content you need to buy. If you want to save some money and get more content buy the Mines of Moria expansion (do a search for cheapest price). I paid 14 bucks for it. This gives you all the expansion content even if you stay with the free to play, 30 days VIP (access to all content for 30 days), and 500 points to use in the in game store. This is much cheaper then buying it all from the in game store. This tells you how to upgrade a free account Link

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 92
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 11:06:47 AM   
Ebusitanus

Have been playing continuosly WWIIOL from 2002 till today. I have also an account at EVE online.

< Message edited by Ebusitanus -- 1/7/2011 11:07:02 AM >

"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons!"

Pompey the Great to the defenders of a besieged city who were crying outrage.

(in reply to a7v)
Post #: 93
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 2:15:15 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

Yep it's free, but that's only 3 quest packs. The rest of the content you need to buy. If you want to save some money and get more content buy the Mines of Moria expansion (do a search for cheapest price). I paid 14 bucks for it. This gives you all the expansion content even if you stay with the free to play, 30 days VIP (access to all content for 30 days), and 500 points to use in the in game store. This is much cheaper then buying it all from the in game store. This tells you how to upgrade a free account Link

Thanks for this information. I just now spent $25 for a free game. I bought the expansion at Amazon. I'm so impressed with the content and the beauty of it all, and have compared it to Anarchy Online, EverQuest 2, WoW, and the upcoming Rift at Steam, I can't imagine playing any other. This game being based on a fantastic trilogy starts it off right. The others have pathetic attempts to make an interesting story line but fail in my opinion.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 94
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 3:52:55 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

quote:

that "hardcore" really means: la masochistic liking of complexity/difficulty?

That's me when playing role playing or adventure or MMO's in a nutshell. I want the world to feel like the real thing. I want to be afraid of losing my life or my toys. It's a rush when things are going bad in worlds like this. EQ even had an even harder hardcore server for awhile. If you died you went back to level 1 no matter what level you were. I loved this kind of play.

Too many of these MMO's MMORPG's just allow you to rush to maximum level now and there's really no penalties for dying. DAOC and SWG has or have deterioating items now. I think that's GREAT in these worlds. This keeps everyone adventuring for more stuff and nobody remains king of the hill or "I got the best stuff cause I rule blah blah lol". Also with things growing old or breaking this keeps those that enjoy crafting busy and doing what they enjoy continously. SWG's was like this but I've found it's not like it used to be.

See the carebears whine about they can't keep up and enough of them whined the developers and companies listened. Now the carebears run around with all the great stuff and they are happy but the hardcore players aren't. We get pushed aside in nearly every game out there now. I don't want some snotty nosed 8 year old playing next to me with stuff he doesn't deserve but because the developers made the game so easy he can have all of it by just whinning to guildies or even worse whinning to daddy to buy him gold off ebay so he can buy it. I'm a firm believer in NO DROP NO TRADE SUPREME items. You have to earn these items yourself you can't buy them or trade for them. Only the hardcore will ever get to play with these puppies.

Yeah, this started with WoW. WoW was designed with the casual player in mind (at least until you got to a certain level and the raiding grind started). Because of this and a few other reasons (it actually worked aside from the initial lag issues, it worked on older systems etc) the game was wildly popular even with casual players who would have never played any of the previous MMO's becasue they required a little commitment and there actually were consequences to playing like a fool.

Since then, aside from a few exceptions,....every MMO tries to copy WoW in some way or another hoping to imitate some of their success by imitating what made the game so popular................all the while claiming they are not trying to compete with or become a WoW killer. (mainly so they dont have to admit failure when their game inevitably falls far short of the numbers WoW has). So now we have all these MMO's where you can play with half your brain tied behind your back and still 'win' and continue to level nearly as fast as someone who plays 'smart'.

Occasionally a small developer will try to do something new,....but almost always their budget limitations show up and its released far too early, which almost always ends very badly.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 95
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 3:55:07 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

Thanks for this information. I just now spent $25 for a free game. I bought the expansion at Amazon. I'm so impressed with the content and the beauty of it all, and have compared it to Anarchy Online, EverQuest 2, WoW, and the upcoming Rift at Steam, I can't imagine playing any other. This game being based on a fantastic trilogy starts it off right. The others have pathetic attempts to make an interesting story line but fail in my opinion.

'Free to play' MMO's..........................The MMO way to take advantage of impulse buyers.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 96
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 4:29:30 PM   
JudgeDredd

Tried World of Tanks last night. Wasn't overly impressed...joined a training battle and learned nothing except the same arseholes that feel winning is everything infect ALL pvp mmos

Presumably the training ones are for noobs. So this guy turns up in a behemoth, outmanouvres all the newbies in their little tanks, rams them with his tank until they explode or, in my case, breaks a track then reverses and shoots. ARSE!

It may well be a while before I revisit that one again!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 97
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 5:23:06 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

It really depends on taste. What is good for you may not be good for me. For example I have been playing Lord of the Rings for over 3 1/2 years and LOVE it! Some folks don't like it because it does not emphasize magic and it not a flashy game. It's also PvE based, very little PvP.  If you're a die hard pvper you will not enjoy it. 

I want to thank you for this recommendation of LOTRO (Lord Of The Rings Online). I have been playing it for a couple days now, and this has to be the finest game of this genre ever. I hate MMO games, and also hate PvP which is usually what MMO's are about. However, this is different since it's like you said, mostly PvE. Turbine paid close attention to detail too. The menus, the tooltips, colors, options, scenery, just everything is superb. I turn up the settings and my laptop fan seldom even comes on! Now here's the best part too... it's FREE! Even the game is a free download. World Of Warcraft, I had to buy it then install it before logging onto their server. Then pay per month. Not so with LOTRO. FREE all the way. I'm still amazed.

Their attention to the details of every aspect of this fine gaming environment is a must see. I can interact with other players, or I can do quests solo. There are so many options for every item, that the most fickle gamer should be satisfied. The way the inventory works with buying and selling items should be the gaming standard. I can't say enough good about this game.

Thanks again for posting what you did about LOTRO. I will be playing this for a loooooong time.

OK, so maybe I will give it a shot.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 98
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 5:52:50 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

'Free to play' MMO's..........................The MMO way to take advantage of impulse buyers.

I guess that's me then. Being "taken advantage of" has never felt this right though. Although there were a few other times when... 'snip'

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/7/2011 5:53:58 PM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 99
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/7/2011 10:15:40 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

I guess that's me then. Being "taken advantage of" has never felt this right though. Although there were a few other times when... 'snip'

I really didnt mean 'taken advantage of' as in anything with bad intent,...I just meant that free to pay MMO's are like all the candy and chips and stuff around the cash register at your local store,....all the stuff that gets bought by impulse.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 100
RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? - 1/8/2011 12:31:20 AM   
LarryP

I didn't take it bad. You are right in what you said. I am very much an impulsive buyer at times, other times I take weeks or months to decide on a game. I know they are dropping the bait here and there while playing. The "Store" is always open and there is more than one quick link to it.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 101
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: SO! What MMO's are you all playing? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI