Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/21/2012 5:23:59 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 217; Aug 9, 1945.......Clear

Screen shot before German moves.

North of the Pripet stays fairly quiet, just a few attacks held along fort lines.

South of the Pripet is another story. As anticipated, the Soviets ripped through the Hun 2nd Army despite reinforcement from 1st Pz Armee's XXXXVI PzKps. The Soviet tanks literally steamroll through the Hungarian positions, and the 25th Pz Div elects not to reinforce as part of a reserve behind the lines - instead it holds on the defence to blunt the steamroller and holds FOUR attacks preceeded by three separate air attacks. Nicely done! This really does take the momentum out of the Soviet blitz.

The Soviet attack is further held by the timely arrival of lead elements of Armee Group E, the 6th SS Pz Armee's I SS PzKps holding postions in a screen from Tarnopol north. This serves as a breakwater as the Hungarians collapse.

With the collapse of the Hungarians, I need something more effective here and I've decided to bring 9th Army down from AGN. Its been quiet there, and if the Soviets reach Poland via Tarnopol-Lvov, holding the Riga Line isn't going to matter much. This will bring 4xKorps of fairly fresh troops south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 571
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/21/2012 5:44:04 AM   
IdahoNYer

Screen shot after German moves....

Counter attacks, spearheaded by I SS Pzkps and XXIV PzKps, throw back 3xTk Cps and isolate (at least temporarily) the lead Soviet Tank Army.

With 9th Army only partially arrived, I have to buy some time, and prevent the Soviets from heading due west or northwest. Rumania is going to be lost in any case, so I hope to show weakness (and it is weak!) to the south and south west - towards the Carpathian Mountains. Both the Hun 2nd Army and 1st Pz Army are fairly weak - I expected a blow to fall on 1st Pz weeks ago - and they can fall back toward the mountains.

But that will put a yawning gap between Armee Group North and South Ukraine - hence Armee Group E being established between them. It will consist of 9th Army (currently 1xPz, 12xIN) at fairly good strength, and 6th SS Pz Armee (only I SS PzKps currently, 3x SS Pz). I want to pull out 2nd Pz Armee (GD PzKps) from Armee Group Center, but right now, that's not practical...for now at least.

So in this area, I've blunted the Soviet drive for a very short time - he'll continue to push, right through the Hun and 1st Pz next turn....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 572
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/21/2012 5:55:44 AM   
IdahoNYer

At the end of the line is Rumania - a sure trouble spot just waiting to blow.

Note the Soviet tank corps resting just behind the lines.....

I'm just waiting for the blow to fall - I'm holding a good level 3 fort line on a river with some rough terrain. Its just too long, and the south of the Danube is all Rumanian, except one VG div. Not good. I've held some initial probing attacks, but once he's rested, he's going to easily penetrate the Rumanians, and likely 17th Army's positions as well.

I've also place about a dozen or so divisions along rail lines and two div in Bucharest to mitigate the disaster once Rumania switches sides. Not really sure what to expect once that happens. The core of this force is a mobility group of 2xPz Bdes and a FJ Div in western Rumania. All thes divisions, except the FJ Div are very weak, and really fit only for garrison operations.

Its the best I can do right now....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 573
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/24/2012 1:43:22 PM   
juret

u have ss divisions to garrision bucharest?

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 574
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/24/2012 10:44:48 PM   
IdahoNYer

Juret -

No SS in Bucharest, only two infantry divisions to delay the inevitable. Maybe if it was Aug 44 instead of Aug 45, I'd have put the elite SS there to better modify the dice rolls. No point right now - I don't have the force to hold Rumania with or without the Rumanian "allies". Its a sideshow for the time remaining in our game. I need the SS to stem the drive toward Lvov and Warsaw. Those are the key areas.

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 575
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/25/2012 12:51:44 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 219; Aug 23, 1945......Clear

Absolutely quiet north of the Pripet. 9th Army successfully moved out of the line in AGN's area, and sent south, assembling SE of Lvov.

Here, due east of Lvov, the Soviets continue to pressure the defenses, but do not penetrate. 6th SS Pz Armee has recieved a second Korps, a weak infantry korps to bolster the SS Pz divs. For now, the I SS PzKps and 4th Pz Armee's XXIV PzKps seem to have been able to hold the main Soviet thrust near Tarnopol.

1st Pz Armee has pretty much extended north, taking over for most of the Hun 2nd Army's area - until the line pulls back toward 9th Army at least. The Soviets cleaned out the "rear guard" holding a salient jutting into Soviet lines. Now, they will likely hit 1st Pz Armee hard and there really isn't much to be done about it. 1st Pz is pretty weak, and I'm not sending much to help it. It will fall back to the south of 9th Army in the next few weeks, where it will benefit from the mountainous terrain.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 576
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/25/2012 2:43:20 AM   
IdahoNYer

The Soviets finally break through the Bessarabian Line and advance some 30 miles deep.

I kinda expected this for the last few turns - his armor must have been pretty fatigued not to have done it earlier. While my infantry were in lvl 3 forts behind good rivers, all of it was understrength with few reserves or Rumanian.

He's got about 10+ tank or mech corps deployed down here. Good. They'll have the chance to run wild here in a few across Rumania - and that should keep them occupied and not heading toward Lvov or Warsaw. I'm hoping they will be well into Rumania before Scar realizes I'm not really putting up much of a fight down there - too late to rail them back into the main fray.

17th Army will attempt to pull back and set up a weak defensive line along the Siret River to delay the Soviet advance west, and prevent them from turning north. The road to Bucharest will be be left fairly open.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 577
RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! - 6/25/2012 10:31:06 AM   
juret

He dont advance any in the north?

Not many turns left now, looks like germany can defend berlin for sure :)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 578
RE: Aug 1945 and Rumania Surrenders! - 6/28/2012 12:53:06 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 220; Aug 30, 1945........Clear

Screen shots before German moves.

Nasty turn for the Reich! Rumania defects to the Soviet cause. Not unexpected, but I underestimated the effect. More on that later...

Here, north of the Pripet......quiet. Very quiet.

I think he's moved his armor south into Rumania and away from this entire area. In any case, the main line of resistance is pretty much fort level 3 now, and in most cases, behind rivers. The two fall back lines are at least level 2 and moving toward level 3 in places. Plus - as I fall back, the lines get shorter.

Frankly, I don't see much change here in the remaining time of the game. I've pulled both 9th Army and 6th SS Pz Army out of the front without any impact. I may pull further as needs arise....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 6/28/2012 1:54:08 AM >

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 579
RE: Aug 1945 and Rumania Surrenders! - 6/28/2012 1:53:28 AM   
IdahoNYer

Here is the screen shot showing the front south of the Pripet, and the debacle in Rumania.

Other than that, things aren't going to badly. No breakthroughs and a number of holds in the 4th and 6th SS Pz Armee areas. The elite panzer divisions still pack a nice punch defensively....

Now the situation in Rumania....

While I realized that once Rumania changed sides, parts of the Rumanian army would defect. I also knew I'd have to either garrison all the rail lines, or repair them. I thougth unit ZOCs would safeguard rails - it didn't always - left some Rumanian units on rail hexes which negated ZOCs. Also forgot to pull out the sizeable FLAK units in Ploesti.

All things considered, it could have been worse. The Soviets broke through the southern portion of 17th Army, cutting off three divisions. The rest of 17th Army should be able to pull back towards either Bucharest or the mountains. 12th Army will fall back west toward eastern Hungary, while maintaining contact with 1st Pz Armee. This is do-able.

Western Rumania is going to be a challenge - I've got a small force to "retake" it, and two RR repair units to begin converting the rail lines back to Axis control. I should have put a few more badly battered VG divisions - worthless in combat - to garrison the rail lines better.

We've only got a few turns left in the game. He's got a good dozen plus tank or mech corps moving in Rumania. He'll have some fun blitzing west against a light screen of 17th Army - probably one corps or so. Nothing's in Bulgaria either.

Fingers crossed that the clock will run out before he can be in Belgrade.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 580
RE: Sep 1945 - 6/30/2012 4:01:05 AM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 221; Sep 6, 1945.....Clear

Quick update as things outside of Rumania remain fairly quiet. South of the Pripet, German defenders hold off four attacks - looks like the Soviets have shifted their main effort to Rumania.

In Rumania, it goes from bad to worse. Soviet tank and mech corps continue to push west at speed. I was hoping they'd slow due to running low on fuel, but that is apparently not happening just yet. 17th Army has managed to establish a Korps to screen the westward progress - but that is the best we can do right now. 4x IN Div remain isolated - the Soviets bypassing for the moment. The remainder of 17th Army falls back into the mountains to prevent the Soviets from moving quickly through the passes.

On the bright side, AGN has released about half a dozen divisions to assist in Rumania, including 5th Pz Div. Also, the remaining Hungarian units have been released, adding about 8xIN divs - six of which I deploy to northeastern Hungary to backstop 1st Pz Armee.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 581
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/6/2012 11:17:44 PM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 223; Sep 20, 1945..........Clear

The only activity of any significance is the fall of Bucharest and the 17th Army attempting to run faster than the Soviets can advance.

North of the Pripet - nothing......at all.......

Front has remained pretty much the same for most of the Summer - no major Soviet advances here. The once level 2 fort lines are now level 3 and 4 in most places - behind rivers. He's given up here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 582
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/6/2012 11:21:07 PM   
IdahoNYer

Here south of the Pripet - quiet everywhere but Rumania.

12th Army pulls back to the mountains, maintaining contact with the 1st Pz Armee to its north. 17th Army was pretty much routed on the plains of Rumania, with a number of divisions being encircled and destroyed. Two divisions retreated into Bulgaria, and are trapped there - neither side can move into Bulgaria.

I've pulled divisions from AGN to backstop 17th Army and form new lines in the mountains of western Rumania - game time will run out long before Scar can punch through.

I'm just trying to hold on to a minor victory by end game - its going to be close!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 583
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/6/2012 11:28:22 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Front has remained pretty much the same for most of the Summer - no major Soviet advances here. The once level 2 fort lines are now level 3 and 4 in most places - behind rivers. He's given up here.

Funny, how changing the Fort rules to avoid the '42 fort carpets, has swicthed around so the side that used forts much less than the other side nerfed even if rightly so now has the clear advantage(AP game and so on) to the effect of stopping the enemy using forts/eastwall on east wall on east wall.

How did u not see this comming.....

Rasmus

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 584
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/7/2012 1:14:24 AM   
Farfarer61

Fort nerf? Moscow MD plus divisional units plus RR Engr brigade spam, plus civilian labour - works a treat. Those Lvl 4 pop up nicely.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 585
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/7/2012 1:22:04 AM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Farfarer

Fort nerf? Moscow MD plus divisional units plus RR Engr brigade spam, plus civilian labour - works a treat. Those Lvl 4 pop up nicely.

Well nerf im taking about is that we post 1.04 arent seeing any more carpets of 3-4 forts several hexes deep through out the entire russian front. Can we agree on that?

Which incidently or not so incidently is why the fort rules was changed.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/7/2012 1:36:01 AM >

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 586
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/8/2012 9:57:25 PM   
IdahoNYer

Walloc - I agree the Germans have an edge in APs in the later war years - so they have APs to build forts. Forts can build to level 4 (2xconstruc Bns in each fortified unit works great), if enough time is allowed. Most of my fort "belts" were constructed about 6 months prior to the Soviets making contact with them. Some, a bit more. Having said that, the fortified units are also a manpower drain - so its a trade off. Especially if the Soviets hit the Fort lines before they are properly manned, or force an abandonment of a fort line.

Once the German goes on the strategic defensive, I think fortified lines need to be constructed in depth along river lines deep in the German rear. The Soviets will reach them, trust me....

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 587
RE: Turn 225 Endgame - 7/8/2012 10:02:04 PM   
IdahoNYer

Turn 225; Oct 4, 1945.......Clear

Endgame, final tally. Managed a minor victory.....

Cudos to my opponent, Scar, who stayed with this from start to finish!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 588
RE: Turn 225 Endgame - 7/8/2012 10:04:39 PM   
IdahoNYer

Front line trace at the end. Plus Leningrad held and Finland still fighting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 589
RE: Turn 225 Endgame - 7/8/2012 10:07:11 PM   
IdahoNYer

Forces available at the end. Germans were still able to pack a punch despite no armor production since April.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 590
RE: Turn 225 Endgame - 7/8/2012 10:07:19 PM   
glvaca

Well done! Thanks for the incredible effort of making the AAR!

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 591
RE: Turn 225 Endgame - 7/8/2012 10:08:56 PM   
IdahoNYer

Final casualty tally......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 592
RE: Turn 225 Endgame - 7/8/2012 10:13:14 PM   
IdahoNYer

Best of the rest. Commander's report showing the German divisions with the best CV value at the end. Herr Goering would be proud.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 593
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/8/2012 10:41:24 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Walloc - I agree the Germans have an edge in APs in the later war years - so they have APs to build forts. Forts can build to level 4 (2xconstruc Bns in each fortified unit works great), if enough time is allowed. Most of my fort "belts" were constructed about 6 months prior to the Soviets making contact with them. Some, a bit more. Having said that, the fortified units are also a manpower drain - so its a trade off.

I agree overall, but ill differ about the manpower drain. Not that it doesnt cost MP and arm to make the forts, but as u say if u have enough time. This is ofc the trick to use when u get the forts up too 4, not to take lightly on the restrictions on getting them. Fortification 4 dosnt decay. Disband the forts, build a new line. In essence u just recycle the same manpower and arm. Even if u dont get lvl 4 fortification, as long as u get to disband the forts getting teh withdrawing troops into the line. U again can recycle the same manpower and arm. All it then costs is AP. There is no continious loss of manpower of arms, but an continous lines of fortifications.

More importandly and u cant know this is that im currently writting up an synopsis on german manpower in the game. I would think it will have an effect up on how german manpower levels are percieved. I hope ill have the energy to finnish it soon and ill post it on the general forum.

quote:

Once the German goes on the strategic defensive, I think fortified lines need to be constructed in depth along river lines deep in the German rear. The Soviets will reach them, trust me....

I dont disagree, but i just find the effect of the fort changes to be rather funny. Tho done with good reason and intention, im not very impressed with the result of the changes. Further more I think that the ramification was easy to spot before hand. It has made a situasion where in effect the game only makes it possible for the axis side to make fortification lines and plenty of em in succesion.

Load up the 44 scn look at the german frontlines in AGC. Fort 2s. After 1 and a half year of a largely static front line u have fort 2s with no backing lines.
Where as while not impossibe to make a fort line similar to the onces at Kursk, u dont see em ever made by russian side outside maybe a few hexes around Moscow cuz the AP game is as it is.
Illl stipulate that in effect the sides compared to history has been reversed. The side that want/tried to the extend it was allowed making elastic defences, relying much less on fortification then the opposite side. Is now in game relying on fortifications to a great extend. Like wise the side that did try and rely on fortifications more so than other side, in effect in game doesnt rely on the high fortifcation levels/succisive lines that forts can do for u.

Its not that i dont do the same playing german side. Its non sense not too. In some sense its also needed cuz of teh way modified CVs work. I just overall find the whole situasion as said rather funny.

Btw could u post an OOB and possibly reveal the manpower pools, if u dont mind me using them in the synopsis. Edit lol u beat me to the punch, Nm.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/8/2012 11:07:23 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 594
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/8/2012 10:45:54 PM   
Walloc

Gratz on the win and thx for the AAR IdahoNYer.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 595
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/8/2012 10:57:25 PM   
Ketza

Thanks for the AAR Idaho. Been reading it since day one and had a feeling you would win for a long time.

Another!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 596
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/8/2012 10:59:22 PM   
Scarz

I want to thank Ed for the great game. He really put the whooping on me in 41, and I never really recovered. Well played my friend!!

I did want to post a few things that I saw, and felt, about the game, now having done all 225 turns of one game via pbem. I would greatly appreciate everyones thoughts. I will start by saying I have already told my opponent about my 'issues' and nothing I say is intended to detract from the game, but is only being said in the hopes someone will change a few things.

First Russian issues:

The game sends back support units to STAVKA when they are depleted, even when HQ is locked. This makes getting them back to the right HQ a pain. Why not just keep them in place, as "unready" until they have come up to strength again.

There were lots of refit "bugs/issues' but these could have been caused by our patching as we went. I had thousands of planes that I couldn't use, as they flat would not go into air fields.

Same with replacements in artty, engineers and rocket artty, they would have the troops in the pool, just wouldn't feed timely to the units that needed them. For example, I had two rocket bde's that took almost a year to final get replacements, even though the rockets were in the pool.

Overall issues:

I don’t believe the supply model works at all. Both sides can launch broad attacks, all across the map, and all at once. No need to focus or worry about supplying multiple areas while on the attack. This seems too basic for a game with this much detail. I should be husbanding my supply resources, as should the Germans at some point.

I think isolated units fold too quickly. The reduction to their CV should be linked to supply better. A 12-15 CV unit with 80% supplies will go to 1 CV as soon as isolated, if it still has enough supplies on hand to continue to fight effectively there should be a drop to moral for being isolated, but if they have the supplies there should not be such a big drop in CV. Now if it is attacked, and burns through its supply, I could see the drastic reduction… so multiple attacks on an isolated unit would cause use of supply, thus reducing its CV. I don't see how a Stalingrad encirclement could ever be simulated by the game, as it would never hold out more than a turn or two unless it was level 4 entrenched in a city. Then maybe two turns.

Something still seems wrong with the entrenchments. At times our game seemed to be too attritional. Maybe tie entrenchments to Action points or something. I know the Russians need the entrenchments to hope to stand against the Germans early on (and this could be fixed by making the Russians a little better so they would not rely so heavily on entrenchments, but most of their units are 1-3 CVs, put 25-30 CVs in a level 3 entrenchment and it’s not possible to successfully assault the hex. I was losing 6-8k in men on assaults for no real gain, even if I won the hex…there was another level 2-3 entrenchment behind the first one.

Thanks.

Scar

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 597
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/8/2012 11:02:48 PM   
Seminole

Was the Red Army packing sappers into their corps trying to make the breech in your fort lines? I realize you can't see the SUs, but you should see the Eng Fort value going down if they are. If they're just hitting their head on high level forts without sappers that's in indictment of tactics, not the game engine.

I had a similar problem trying to push into the Karelian peninsula. I could hit a hex with 9 Gds Rifle Corps with 6-9 on map Arty Bde in support and not move them. Packed sappers into those corps and suddenly the eng. fort value goes down and I started to make progress. Part of the reason I focus on terrain is that sappers/pioneers can't reduce those fortification values.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 598
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/9/2012 5:23:10 PM   
juret

how many tanks u had in the resource pool at the end and airplanes?

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 599
RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight - 7/9/2012 10:25:34 PM   
Scarz

Not sure exactly, but thousands for each. More than I could ever hope to use, and the fact that the newer model planes were not being used was also painful.

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aug 1945 and the war continues! Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI