Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 12/31/2010 8:31:31 PM   
GaryChildress

Instead of Panzer Corps?

Post #: 1
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 12/31/2010 10:57:15 PM   
Obsolete

If it were Afrika Corps, then I'd agree with you. At present, I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter either way. There's bound to be problems with language clashes... Thank god it's not a French word or there would be never ending hate-flames at the spelling right now...

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 12/31/2010 11:08:37 PM   
HansHafen

Maybe. In English it would probably be Tank Corps or Armored Corps. German would be Panzer Korps. Funny!

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 3
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/1/2011 12:23:31 PM   
Lord Zimoa

In correct German it would be Panzer Korps, but Panzer is also a German loanword (like: blitzkrieg, zeppelin, u-boat, hamburger, spritz, lager, pretzel....) used in English meaning "Armoured". Panzer in German can mean Tank or Armour, like eg. Kettenpanzer (chainmail).

As we intend it as a game series and we will not only limited us to German campaigns and prefer English titles, as we publish worldwide, we have chosen for:

Panzer Corps in the Meaning of "Armoured" Corps

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 4
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/1/2011 5:03:18 PM   
Lukas

Pretty sure "Panzer" stands for (German) tank in English, not "armoured".

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 5
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/1/2011 6:37:57 PM   
Lord Zimoa

It means both in German. So in English you should use the word tank, not panzer, you can use it for a German tank though.

But in English: Panzer, as a loanword, can be used for Armoured like Panzer Divisions or Panzer Battles. Where the word does not mean German tank, but is used in the meaning of armoured.

So Panzer Corps in English can be German Tank Corps or Armoured Corps.

P.S.
@Lukas: Vuile NSB`er! LOL

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 1/1/2011 6:46:04 PM >

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 6
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/3/2011 11:37:15 PM   
Obsolete

To add a little more interest to this name... I know many Americans believe Panzer is the non-correct English translation for Panther. And that using the 'z' instead of 'th' is just being CUTE, due to the fact German's cant pronounce 'th' and always substitute 'z' or 's' there verbally.

So you'll also have to put up with "Why is it not PANTHER CORPS!?"

At least we can all agree that the name shouldn't be ...CORPSE instead of ...CORPS haha.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 7
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/4/2011 1:30:41 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

To add a little more interest to this name... I know many Americans believe Panzer is the non-correct English translation for Panther. And that using the 'z' instead of 'th' is just being CUTE, due to the fact German's cant pronounce 'th' and always substitute 'z' or 's' there verbally.

So you'll also have to put up with "Why is it not PANTHER CORPS!?"

At least we can all agree that the name shouldn't be ...CORPSE instead of ...CORPS haha.

IIRC the term "tank" was coined in order to decieve would be German code breakers in WW1 from learning the true nature of what the Brits were creating. So Panzer isn't really equal to "tank" in english but rather armor or something along those lines. So really it's purely accident that tanks got the name "tank".

Good thing the English code word creators didn't use something like daffodile to decieve the Germans! How goofy would that be?

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 8
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/20/2011 7:34:16 AM   
billyjj

Panzer means tank not armor. Its a language thing that doesn't translate straight across, its just the way that germans say stuff like "tank wagon" would be what americans would make an armored car,. we would refer to a knights armor but you wouldn't hear the germans refering to that as panzer

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 9
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/20/2011 8:23:46 AM   
doomtrader

I think that the proper German word for English tank is Tank, which means container for liquids. Probably the native Germans would be the best ones that might clarify.

So let's see how Tank is named in other languages in countries that were developing armored weapon before the WW II
Czechoslovakia - Tank
Poland - czołg (but among the older people the word Tank was also common)
France - Le char de combat
England - Tank or Armor
Germany - Panzer which is abbreviation for Panzerkampfwagen
Russian - Tank

Also the English wikipedia claims that Panzer is a German word for Tank in the meaning of armored vehicle.

We might try to take a look at it's sister game, Panzer General, unfortunately, in both languages, General is the same word with the same meaning.

In my opinion we should treat Panzer as a strictly German word for Armored Vehicle so it this case it should be Panzer Korps. However I understand the decision to use the English word for Corps and I'm fine with that.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 10
RE: Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? - 1/20/2011 11:00:43 AM   
Spechtmeise

German Panzer can refer to the following things: tank (as in battle tank) and armour (as in knight's armour, although the more appropriate word for this would be "Rüstung"). The most common connotation for Panzer is...well, Panzer/tank.

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get Me!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Shouldn't it be Panzer Korps? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI