Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy ... - 1/3/2011 12:01:59 PM   
Local Yokel

Can someone please explain what has happened here?

With other units, the IJA’s 5th Division has been advancing SW in hex 50, 74, destination Taiping. It is moving along the railway line, so its rate of progress has been that appropriate to a ‘railway trail’. Without having taken much notice of the exact rate of advance, I estimate this has been 6 to 8 miles per day. By 26 December, 5th Division is just two miles short of its objective.

Meanwhile, the 114th Rgt has taken the longer but easier road route to Taiping via Georgetown, arriving in Taiping on 26 December. It is committed to an immediate attack upon the town’s defenders, 1st Mysore Bn.

Immediately before the attack, certain units that had been accompanying 5th Division arrive at Taiping, having been put into Reserve (Pursuit) mode for the last two miles of their march. They include 22nd Recon Rgt.

The attack proceeds, and the Mysores take to their heels. As I had hoped, 22nd Recon and other units follow in hot pursuit, so that they end up one hex SW of Taiping at the end of the turn, and well placed to hit the hapless Mysores once again on the following day. So far so good.

Meanwhile, however, the sound of battle just two miles distant has utterly disconcerted 5th Division. Instead of advancing those two remaining miles into newly captured Taiping, it stops in its tracks, re-aligns its axis of advance in a westerly direction, and sets off afresh in the direction of Georgetown! It still has Taiping as the objective of its march, but has become so confused that it now believes it has only 46 miles to march, rather than the 92 mile journey the scenic route via Georgetown will actually take. Much worse, it has completely disregarded the fact that it was only 2 miles away from its march objective, and for some reason has declined to cover a distance significantly shorter than that covered by previous days’ marches, notwithstanding that there has been no change in its fatigue level.

Is there some nuance to the overland movement rules I have overlooked that has produced this outcome? I have found nothing that helps in the manual or via a search of the forum, and even if this is WAD the behaviour of 5th Division appears to me anomalous. Why didn’t it advance those last 2 miles into Taiping? And why abandon that line of advance when so near to its objective?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: "The night we went to Birmingham by way of Bea... - 1/3/2011 1:26:20 PM   
Cyber Me

Rule 52 from the patch v1.01.02a Feb 28 2010
might have your answer

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 2
RE: "The night we went to Birmingham by way of Bea... - 1/3/2011 2:13:49 PM   
Local Yokel

Thanks for the suggestion, Cyber Me, but I rather doubt this change holds the answer. This wasn't a case of the marching LCU having a destination beyond a hex containing an enemy unit (which presumably fires the code change). Rather, 5th Division's destination was Taiping itself. If units were always to disregard orders to march directly into a hex containing an enemy unit, overland advances would simply become impossible.

No, I think that either the advance of other friendly units into the destination hex or the fact that an attack was ordered must hold the key here. In either case I still cannot see a sensible explanation for what took place.

(in reply to Cyber Me)
Post #: 3
RE: "The night we went to Birmingham by way of Bea... - 1/3/2011 9:04:09 PM   
Chickenboy

Local Yokel,

I can understand why the route to the Taiping hex autorouted through Georgetown with the selected 'move' command. Even though it's farther, it would have taken less time for this unit to march the longer distance on an improved road.

I can't answer why it was seemingly reset with new hex ownership though-the crux of your question.

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI