Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing to Axis rail gauge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Changing to Axis rail gauge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/5/2011 11:26:24 PM   
mantrain

Is there anywhere in the manual that describes how to change from Soviet to German rail gauge? Axis troops are gettin slogged down and cannot find where in manual to change gauge.thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/5/2011 11:34:04 PM   
FredSanford3

That's why all rail hexes in Soviet territory are at 100% damage.  You have to repair them, that's what changes the gauge.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/5/2011 11:35:59 PM   
Gandalf

Section 5.3.1.4 FBD/NKPS Rail Repair (bottom pg 63 of the E-Book manual) Rail repair includes changing the guage.

< Message edited by Gandalf -- 1/5/2011 11:37:00 PM >

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 4:20:32 AM   
mantrain

well It's hard to believe such scant info is avail on the topic w a 384 page manual! for example, How do you get the gauge changed?
if you place a rail unit on a rail hex 6 units east of the border and order it to repair, what happends to the rail in the hexes west of the unit? This topic, which Iwould think is so important, is not hardly explained.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 4:37:57 AM   
Zort

You have to move in a continuous line on the rail you are repairing/regauging. You can't just start somewhere in the middle. Repair is regauging.

Also 14.2.2 page 195 should help.

< Message edited by Zort -- 1/6/2011 4:39:53 AM >

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 5:24:30 AM   
FredSanford3

theres over 3 pages on rail repair on 195-198.
quote:

ORIGINAL: mantrain

well It's hard to believe such scant info is avail on the topic w a 384 page manual! for example, How do you get the gauge changed?
if you place a rail unit on a rail hex 6 units east of the border and order it to repair, what happends to the rail in the hexes west of the unit? This topic, which Iwould think is so important, is not hardly explained.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 1:23:19 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantrain

Well in case you have not read the manual nor the forums, there are 2 important things: 1) there are 2 kinds of rail repair units, some that you control and some that you don't (the AI uses the latter to "fill in" the rail network); 2)for those that you control, you can only repair a rail hex that is connected to an already repaired rail hex, so you can't just go repair anywhere.

Henri

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 2:47:40 PM   
Mynok

It would be kinda nice to have a 'radius' setting on the HQ these uncontrolled repair battalions are attached to so that you could at least define an area in which to concentrate their repairs.

In my last run through the Leningrad scenario, I had AGN repair units ranging all over the freaking map.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 4:55:54 PM   
Joel Billings

This was changed in one of the patches so that they would only go out as far as the command range for the type of HQ. IIRC they are:

Corps=5
Army=15
Army Group/Front=45

Still a long way, but not as far as they used to be.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 5:23:29 PM   
Mynok

Ah.....that actually sounds reasonable. That way you can orient your Army HQ locations to help the FBDs. Army groups can then clean up the fringes.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 5:54:18 PM   
Alex Gilbert

I noted something odd with the FBDs last night:

I tried to "double up" the FBDs moving the one supporting 3rd Pz Group down to work on the same rail line as the one for 2nd Pz Group. I could convert about 3 hexed with one FBD, but when I then moved the next FBD up to convert additional hexes, I could only get 1 or 2 additional hexes to convert even though the second FBD still had points remaining for conversion. Originally I thought that I had perhaps missed converting a hex (and thus was trying to convert a hex not connected to the active grid) but this was definitely not the case.

Did I miss something in the manual about an absolute maximum of hexes on a single rail line that can be converted in a turn? Has anyone else tried this idea of using 2 FBDs together?

Alex

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 11
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 5:59:46 PM   
Mynok

Someone else mentioned that about 5 hexes a turn is the max they could get.

(in reply to Alex Gilbert)
Post #: 12
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 6:23:45 PM   
mavraamides

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

This was changed in one of the patches so that they would only go out as far as the command range for the type of HQ. IIRC they are:

Corps=5
Army=15
Army Group/Front=45

So if a rail repair unit attached to a Corp will only go 5 hexes away, what happens if the Corp moves 30 hexes from it? Does it disband, follow or stay where it is?

Post #: 13
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 11:22:23 PM   
henri51

You really don't want to attach a rail repair unit to a corps!!! If it gets 5 hexes away, it will stop repairing...

Henri

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 14
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/6/2011 11:55:08 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Corps=5
Army=15
Army Group/Front=45

So if a rail repair unit attached to a Corp will only go 5 hexes away, what happens if the Corp moves 30 hexes from it? Does it disband, follow or stay where it is?

I assume they will go back to their HQ when they are done. I assume the check is made when the unit is first sent out to the hex to repair.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 15
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/7/2011 4:17:16 AM   
mantrain

" I am so confused."

Post #: 16
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/7/2011 4:22:51 AM   
jomni

Hi mantrain.
What is confusing you?  Did you already discover that you need to press a button to repar the rail hex using FDBs?  If not then you need to do that.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 17
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/7/2011 4:29:30 AM   
mantrain

It would seem to me that above all, we would want to have Axis HQ's stationed on consecutive rail-hexes in order that they deploy their labor battalions to re-gauge. But since the manual really doesn't provide a practicable explanation, other than that HQ's can do it on their own, I am not sure yet.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 18
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/7/2011 4:44:06 AM   
FredSanford3

The HQ's don't need to be on the rail hexes. They control the automatic repair units. Don't worry about them, you can't control them anyhow.

Find one of your FBD units (if you click the 'rail damage' button, they will highlight w/ a yellow border). Move it a damaged rail hex NEXT to an undamaged rail hex. Over on the unit bar on the right, look at the FBD unit. Find the text that says "RRC". Press it (RRC). There. You just repaired a rail hex. You will see your movement points decrease. Usually by 3, but up in the region marked on the map as "Baltic Rail Zone", it's on 1. If you have MP's left, move the FBD to the NEXT (you can't skip hexes) damaged rail hex. Repeat. See? Imagine a little chain gang workin' on the railroad. They will move down the line, repairin' and singin' chain gang songs as they go.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 19
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 5:24:50 AM   
mantrain

Thanks Franklin, and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. it has been very helpful!

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 20
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 12:39:24 PM   
henri51

It is very helpful to know that the key to display rail repair units is control-9. Use it, because there is nothing more frustrating than to discover that on the previous move you forgot to use one of your rail repair units.

Henri

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 21
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 1:41:38 PM   
Zort

I found pressing 'c' and looking under the unit tab, mp column the 5 rail repair units are at the top. So looking there you can see if they have any mps left.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zort -- 1/8/2011 1:44:05 PM >

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 22
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 2:41:55 PM   
alfonso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alex Gilbert

I noted something odd with the FBDs last night:

I tried to "double up" the FBDs moving the one supporting 3rd Pz Group down to work on the same rail line as the one for 2nd Pz Group. I could convert about 3 hexed with one FBD, but when I then moved the next FBD up to convert additional hexes, I could only get 1 or 2 additional hexes to convert even though the second FBD still had points remaining for conversion. Originally I thought that I had perhaps missed converting a hex (and thus was trying to convert a hex not connected to the active grid) but this was definitely not the case.

Did I miss something in the manual about an absolute maximum of hexes on a single rail line that can be converted in a turn? Has anyone else tried this idea of using 2 FBDs together?

Alex

Yes, I had the same idea.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2646185 post 26

But there is a limit of 5 consecutive hexes outside the Baltic Zone

< Message edited by alfonso -- 1/8/2011 2:42:17 PM >

(in reply to Alex Gilbert)
Post #: 23
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 4:16:17 PM   
mantrain

Hey Henri/Zort, thanks so much, because actually you pointing out that column is very helpful in other aspects as well, like making sure there are no unused MP's with any units prior to ending a turn -- which brings up another question, are there any items you sort of do a mental check-off prior to completing my turn? For me there is a bit of leap of faith, as Axis, prior to clicking F12, like this feeling i left the house on a big trip, with something really important behind me -- so I think that unit column could go a long way to that end.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 24
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 4:40:18 PM   
mantrain

Oh, Btw, how do I get more stars on my name? Would I have to actually offer meaningful advise?

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 25
RE: Changing to Axis rail gauge - 1/8/2011 6:06:50 PM   
Zort

Just post a lot.

There is a checklist I think up in the bootcamp area. But I first look at for the rail repair units. Then see if I can find the reinforcements that just came in. I wish you could just click on the unit on the logistics page, I have forgotten to move these guys numerous times. Remember to move up airfields (by rail if possible). Put air doctrine at the lvl you want, since I don't want to lose my air during the soviet turn I set it to 110. (not sure if this is smart but have more planes now then in my first few practice games). One last look at the lines to make sure my HQ's are within range of the rail and within range of their units. Fly supplies to those out of range if possible. Other things too but that is the general focus I have before I hit f12, always knowing I forgot something (like moving the guys off the rail that I moved the turn before).

< Message edited by Zort -- 1/8/2011 6:07:00 PM >

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Changing to Axis rail gauge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI