Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Reputation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reputation - 1/6/2011 8:02:27 PM   
Bandersnatch

The last game I played turned into a disaster because of my reputation. There were about twenty empires in the galaxy, and I had attained two of the three victory conditions. I did my best to play fair and avoid wars, and be nice to everyone. Of course someone, for whatever reason, would declare war and I did my best to defend myself. I wasn’t paying particular attention to my reputation, but had noticed that it had fallen to “diabolical” despite trying to make my colonies happy. Then things started falling apart. I had fleets defecting, whole groups of colonies breaking away and forming new empires, individual colonies revolting to join other empires. In the option’s menu I had played mostly on “suggest” except for “spying” which was on auto. As things were going downhill, I threw everything on full auto. Now I had every empire in the galaxy at war with me. Game over!

So I opened Galactopedia and read up on governments and reputations. I started a new game with empires set at random. So far there are five empires with three not liking me. I’ve been busy building colonies and offering everyone free trade agreements, which they have all declined. I started with a republic and a satisfactory reputation. I’ve been doing everything to keep from stepping on anyone’s toes, even taking my spies off auto and putting them all on defending the empire, just in case. Then my reputation turned “dubious.” I started with ten colonies and now have thirty. I also built a small fleet, you know: walk softly but carry a big stick. So out of nowhere one of the empires that naturally doesn’t like me declared war. Now what. Naturally, I sent my “big stick” and tromped them, finally offering them subjugation, which they accepted. Now my reputation has sunk to “nasty.” At this rate I’m doomed before going very far.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions that are not in Galactopedia? I’ve been thinking of having a revolution and turning my government into a military dictatorship. They don’t seem to worry about reputations. Bad idea?

Snatch
Post #: 1
RE: Reputation - 1/6/2011 8:44:33 PM   
Dannyboy99

Go Pirate Hunting. Killing pirate bases is the best way to get your reputation up. Mine always heads straight to heroic and stays there because I mercilessly hunt down every last one of these.

(in reply to Bandersnatch)
Post #: 2
RE: Reputation - 1/6/2011 10:21:54 PM   
Krob

As Dannyboy99 said, the best way to increase your rep is to kill pirates. The best way to avoid war is to send gifts to the other races. This is best accomplished when you have less credits as the size of the gifts depend on how many credits you have. So with fewer credits, you can give large gifts (and get more standing) without giving them a massive amount of money.

Also, it is my understanding that bombarding planets will decrease your reputation, so I generally avoid bombardment weapons.

K

(in reply to Dannyboy99)
Post #: 3
RE: Reputation - 1/6/2011 11:57:35 PM   
elanaahova

^ all of above. Also, don't build any bases of any sort in systems claimed by (colonized by) other empires. This ALSO means that a system with your bases, that is is later colonized by another empire suddenly becomes THEIR system, and YOUR pre-existing bases are now trespassing. The other empires get all righteous about it. Sell your bases to them or trade them for tech, whatever - but get ride of the bases - or the 'bad rep' will get worse.

Also, don't colonize a planet in a system with their colonies, unless you intend to immediately sell/trade it to them. Of course, if you want a war -then do these things.. (smile)

(in reply to Krob)
Post #: 4
RE: Reputation - 1/7/2011 1:16:26 AM   
Dannyboy99

I've never had a big issue with having bases in their territory unless war is brewing anyway, as long as you have enough money to gift them, have good trade with them and kill every pirate base you find you can keep bases in their systems. Though as these can be sold for millions you might not want to

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 5
RE: Reputation - 1/7/2011 3:17:10 AM   
Queeg

In my first game, some pirates offered to ally with me. I figured it would keep them off my back, so i agreed. Later, two rival empires complained that I was "sponsoring" attacks against them and I noticed that my reputation had plummeted. I had been a good citizen, trying to establish trade agreements, etc. with the other empires, without noticing that my reputation was dropping. So I guess running with pirates is bad for your rep.

Post #: 6
RE: Reputation - 1/7/2011 4:23:23 PM   
Bandersnatch

Wow! Thanks folks. Great suggestions. I have been stand-offish about requests for bases, tech, etc. because I don't know whether I'm giving the store away or not. Some offers are rediculous. So I've just been saying no. I guess it goes with learning the game. Snatch.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 7
RE: Reputation - 1/7/2011 7:24:16 PM   
elanaahova

Danny, you are correct when you suggest that having bases in (some) another empire's system is not as big a hit on their attitude towards you, as say, perhaps attacking them. However, some empires seem to be more tolerant of this than others. Not sure, myself, why some empires 'instinctively dislike' some and not others. In any case, there are times when removing 'offending' bases from your control (selling, trading, etc.0 is both a viable option, and the a wise policy to implement. Just depends on situation.

Take a look in the diplomacy window for that empire. Are they miffed you have base(s) in their system(s)? Its a diplo hit even if they tolerate it. I'm new at the game - so i don't do brinkmanship - pushing things too near the edge. I build replacement bases and then sell/trade them off to the empire that is 'offended.'

Post #: 8
RE: Reputation - 1/7/2011 9:02:30 PM   
Dannyboy99

I find that it's only the guys who hate you anyway that get upset about it, but these are also the ones who will pay the most to get that base off you, thanks to how the costs of things are based on relations. I also usually end up having a large amount of trade with these same empires, I think because they come to my stations to get all their supplies and this goes a long way to making them put up with me

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 9
RE: Reputation - 1/7/2011 11:44:39 PM   
elanaahova

Danny, you are absolutely right.. I was wrong. There is absolutely no diplomatic penalty for having bases in another's empire, ever. I'm, obviously misunderstanding the notices in the diplomatic window. Thank you for making it so very clear.

(in reply to Dannyboy99)
Post #: 10
'Rep-Raped' - 4/20/2011 7:09:55 PM   
Johnnycai

Hey All,
Having the same exact issues as Bandersnatch posts initially here. I have read what i can about reputation on the forum.
Am now diabolical, war weariness doesnt seem to be a problem (monarchy Yellow -mild status), 4-8 empires at war with me simulataneously (varying as I attempt to buy peace with bribes). Am getting empire splits which I reload from a previous save to try to continue the game, and I keep getting rebelling colonies, even though all of my population loyalty is positive so perhaps I am getting hit by espionage (incite rebellions) by my enemies. All my spies have been doing counter-espionage (no offensive missions)and I am hitting pirates but they are running out fast and my rep is still diabolical. Is there a way to reset my rep in the editor or am I stuck with this at this point? Seems like a shame to have to end a game based on getting 'rep-raped' by the AI. Have given up all my mining posts or colonies in systems where I was initial occupant to my enemies when they invade and then hate me more because I happen to have gotten their first...this is handled poorly by the AI diplomacy IMHO.
Can editor save this game?

"Today is a good day to die"

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 11
RE: 'Rep-Raped' - 4/20/2011 8:23:46 PM   
Data

Yes, you can adjust your rep there....select edit empires, choose your empire and you should see it there; it's a slider iirc.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Johnnycai)
Post #: 12
RE: 'Rep-Raped' - 4/21/2011 4:10:34 PM   
Johnnycai

Awesome!! Did I mention how much I love this game!
Back to planning my acquisition of those systems I had to give away to earn moments of peace, as my enemies almost immediately declared war afterwards.
I shall have my revenge! Just need to raise some troops first, and get my ring of monitoring stations up first.
Thanks Data.

"Today is a good day to die"

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 13
RE: 'Rep-Raped' - 4/21/2011 4:34:19 PM   
Data

My pleasure, glad to see you're back on the horse...big time
Have fun

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Johnnycai)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Reputation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI