Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier Task Force Target Selection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Carrier Task Force Target Selection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 6:27:06 AM   
brian800000

3 American carriers attacked a TF with the Fuso, and scored 9 bomb hits on the Fuso. Two of my carriers were basically out of ammo, so I pulled them out, leaving the Yorktown between the Fuso to the east and some AKLs to the west. The next day's airstrikes were supposed to finish off the Fuso, but unfortunately the aircraft launched to attack the AKLs. I'm fairly certain the Fuso didn't sink, because over the night it engaged a surface task force (and gave them a beating). There was also a CA with the Fuso that I never hit which should have been a better target for my carriers than AKLs.

Is this odd? The TF was spotted by my carriers the next day and was only 4 hexes away. It doesn't seem to be moving very fast (3 hexes in the day after the dive bombers did their damage), so I'm thinking of looping my carrier around to the east of the Fuso and out of range of the AKLs.

Post #: 1
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 7:04:41 AM   
Capt Hornblower

I haven't played all that much WITP, but I have played a lot of Uncommon Valor and read and reread the manuals of both games. I believe the target selection routines for naval air combat are unchanged from Uncommon Valor, and your experience doesn't surprise me in the least. The uncertainty in target selection is deliberate-- it's meant to re-create the sometimes bizarre events that occurred in history and to let the gamer feel the frustration the real commanders felt as their best laid plans went wildly awry.
(Certainly no one with any sense could say that what happened at Midway was in the least bit likely.)

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 2
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 1:01:27 PM   
Zigurat666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

I haven't played all that much WITP, but I have played a lot of Uncommon Valor and read and reread the manuals of both games. I believe the target selection routines for naval air combat are unchanged from Uncommon Valor, and your experience doesn't surprise me in the least. The uncertainty in target selection is deliberate-- it's meant to re-create the sometimes bizarre events that occurred in history and to let the gamer feel the frustration the real commanders felt as their best laid plans went wildly awry.
(Certainly no one with any sense could say that what happened at Midway was in the least bit likely.)

Thats my issue with this game. Rather than institute one or two elements of uncertainty in the game it sometimes appears as though "every" element has a screwy mode to it. So much so that it dominates the game and performing a turn on the selections you have made during your impulse are impossible.

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 3
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 1:47:37 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

3 American carriers attacked a TF with the Fuso, and scored 9 bomb hits on the Fuso. Two of my carriers were basically out of ammo, so I pulled them out, leaving the Yorktown between the Fuso to the east and some AKLs to the west. The next day's airstrikes were supposed to finish off the Fuso, but unfortunately the aircraft launched to attack the AKLs. I'm fairly certain the Fuso didn't sink, because over the night it engaged a surface task force (and gave them a beating). There was also a CA with the Fuso that I never hit which should have been a better target for my carriers than AKLs.

Is this odd? The TF was spotted by my carriers the next day and was only 4 hexes away. It doesn't seem to be moving very fast (3 hexes in the day after the dive bombers did their damage), so I'm thinking of looping my carrier around to the east of the Fuso and out of range of the AKLs.

It's all about detection. I think you have to detect every Task Force every turn. So if the TF is not detected at all, or it has low detection level, planes won't target it.

I sure the game can't "remember" that yesterday there was a battleship...

Post #: 4
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 2:23:08 PM   
Sardaukar

Yes, it is most likely about detection levels. If TF is not properly spotted, it can be passed when targets are picked. Mistakes happen, like in Coral Sea, where it went other way.

You can increase number of planes on naval search, but this in turn reduces your striking power.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 1/7/2011 2:24:14 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 5
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 3:20:17 PM   
Schanilec

Just read that the other day in S E Morrison's Volume IV. On 6 May Takagi and Fletcher passed within seventy miles of the other. And nothing. AAF/IJAAF sightings were slow in getting to thier navy counterparts or not all in the case of the IJN. Naval air searches either just missed the enemy task forces or were in that sector at all. And misidentification in the case of the Neosho and Sims. And Crace's task group. And the attention given the Shoho on the 7th.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 6
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 4:10:18 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Just read that the other day in S E Morrison's Volume IV. On 6 May Takagi and Fletcher passed within seventy miles of the other. And nothing. AAF/IJAAF sightings were slow in getting to thier navy counterparts or not all in the case of the IJN. Naval air searches either just missed the enemy task forces or were in that sector at all. And misidentification in the case of the Neosho and Sims. And Crace's task group. And the attention given the Shoho on the 7th.

Indeed, excellent examples. Carrier war in WWII was not very exact science and often game depits it well. And after all, it is still game, not simulator.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 7
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 5:09:27 PM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Yes, it is most likely about detection levels. If TF is not properly spotted, it can be passed when targets are picked. Mistakes happen, like in Coral Sea, where it went other way.

You can increase number of planes on naval search, but this in turn reduces your striking power.

But the task force was detected: during the search phase by multiple carrier search planes. They seem to only have spotted the DDs though. I'm going to loop around to the east tomorrow so that my carrier only has the option to attack the group with the BB and CA. But it seems a little dangerous dallying while enemy carriers could show up (some are in the area), or manuevering around enemy fleets considering my carrier is only protected by 3 DDs.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 8
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 5:19:21 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

But the task force was detected: during the search phase by multiple carrier search planes. They seem to only have spotted the DDs though. I'm going to loop around to the east tomorrow so that my carrier only has the option to attack the group with the BB and CA. But it seems a little dangerous dallying while enemy carriers could show up (some are in the area), or manuevering around enemy fleets considering my carrier is only protected by 3 DDs.

That is the problem. TF can be already detected, but if DL is not high enough and capital ships not detected, TF can be passed for other "higher level TF" in target selection.

Post #: 9
RE: Carrier Task Force Target Selection - 1/7/2011 8:56:52 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is the problem. TF can be already detected, but if DL is not high enough and capital ships not detected, TF can be passed for other "higher level TF" in target selection.

Further to Sardaukar's point, the OP should read closely pages 217-221 of the manual.

Alfred

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Carrier Task Force Target Selection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI