Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Building new bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Building new bases Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Building new bases - 1/11/2011 5:17:52 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

In RL I think the micro-terrain was a huge factor. We have 40-miles hexes of the same terrain, with no elevation. Even a slight ridge, maybe 15-20 feet, running along or across the runway's path was going to need to be removed. (I'm no pilot, but I "think" landing uphill or downhill is a Bad Thing.) Millions of yards of dirt and coral to be moved sometimes. Seabees were busy, and there were a lot of them.

In contrast, Air units can move to a different hex and set up a base in a week in WITE. In Russia, there are many favorable flat areas to quickly build an airfield. But I suppose these are not the paved type... just grass strips. But not in the Pacific.

< Message edited by jomni -- 1/11/2011 5:25:03 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 31
RE: Building new bases - 1/11/2011 1:28:17 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45
You forgot the most important thing Bullwinkle, they have to build the chiefs club before anything else. Just like Kings Bay in 79, the clubs were done before most of the rest of the buildings were started.

There are those old jokes about the Air Force building the O-club, then laying out the runways in the most favorable wind conditions remaining . . .

For the Army it was usually the golf course.

I was at KB beginning in December 1981. The clubs were magnificent, just unpopulated. Often times my wardrom were the only O-club customers every night, wearing out the jukebox on Willie Nelson tunes. The tender guys all went home to Jax. I saw the tender Food Service Officer's house once--luxury single-family with a hot tub. Pretty arduous "sea duty" for her.

The clubs, gym, admin offices, etc. were state-of-the-art, but the piers still used only tender shops, and the explosive handling wharf wasn't built yet. We still had to tug-shuffle nested boats to load birds and fish.

The Moose

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 32
RE: Building new bases - 1/11/2011 6:59:40 PM   
oldman45

I got there in Aug of 1980. My buddy drove me up from Tampa and we stood in the mud they called a parking lot with just a pier, my ship (Simon Lake), the T shed and way down the road the dry dock. He was stationed in Norfolk, took one look at this and fell out laughing. Got in his car and told me good luck. Yea those were the days.

Post #: 33
RE: Building new bases - 1/11/2011 7:22:38 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I got there in Aug of 1980. My buddy drove me up from Tampa and we stood in the mud they called a parking lot with just a pier, my ship (Simon Lake), the T shed and way down the road the dry dock. He was stationed in Norfolk, took one look at this and fell out laughing. Got in his car and told me good luck. Yea those were the days.

And outside the front gate: a two lane county blacktop/crossroads and pine trees. Not a bar, a clip-joint, or a used car lot for miles. Sweet duty for the "Join the Navy, See the World" enlisted guys.

The Moose

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 34
RE: Building new bases - 1/11/2011 7:52:37 PM   
nashvillen

Something also to remember about building a base: Make sure you take your Engineers off of "Strat" if you transport them in, otherwise all the equipment stays in boxes and everyone sits around and does nothing!

Yeah, it is one of those "Don't ask me how I know moments."

Post #: 35
RE: Building new bases - 1/11/2011 11:02:48 PM   
Skyros

And to think they abandoned Charleston for that place.

quote:

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 36
RE: Building new bases - 1/12/2011 5:16:34 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

And to think they abandoned Charleston for that place.

Nah, they abandoned Holy Loch and Rota for that place, eventually. Charleston was still open for a long time after. I lived in Charleston and bused down to on-crew at KB. Charleston was a thriving base and shipyard when I left to go to Pearl in 1984. There was still a squadron of fast attacks on the river, and some of the non-Trdent-backfit boomers were still at Holy Loch in that era, but lived and trained in Charleston. The Weapons Station and PMOLant was cranking (I think the Weapons Station is still in operation, servicing KB.) Charleston had some Sprucans, frigates, and the Mine Warfare Command too. Lots of training infrastructure. And a really big yard.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 1/12/2011 5:17:39 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 37
RE: Building new bases - 1/12/2011 5:54:39 AM   
donkey_roxor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

In my estimation, the most egregious example is numerous instances of floatation for flotation.

Floatation is a variant of flotation:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/floatation

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 38
RE: Building new bases - 1/12/2011 12:49:20 PM   
oldman45

I went to Charleston in 85 or 86, stayed there for 5 1/2 years. Seems to me the Shipyard closed in the late 90's and most of of the military left around that time. Not sure whats even there any more. Wasn't a bad place, did hurricane Hugo in the dry dock, that was exciting.

(in reply to donkey_roxor)
Post #: 39
RE: Building new bases - 1/12/2011 1:09:53 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

In RL I think the micro-terrain was a huge factor. We have 40-miles hexes of the same terrain, with no elevation. Even a slight ridge, maybe 15-20 feet, running along or across the runway's path was going to need to be removed. (I'm no pilot, but I "think" landing uphill or downhill is a Bad Thing.) Millions of yards of dirt and coral to be moved sometimes. Seabees were busy, and there were a lot of them.

In contrast, Air units can move to a different hex and set up a base in a week in WITE. In Russia, there are many favorable flat areas to quickly build an airfield. But I suppose these are not the paved type... just grass strips. But not in the Pacific.

In most cases, building an airfield from 0 to 1 isn't that difficult in AE -- only when the SPS level is (0). And it is probably fair that the first step is the hardest and takes the longest. SPS (0) represents truly exceptional terrain conditions. For example, the US Army couldn't find a suitable site for a fighter strip to defend Dutch Harbor anywhere on Unalaska, a rather large island in the Aleutians, so they built it on nearby Umnak, instead -- which they would not have done unless they had to, as, apart from the geographic distance, Umnak had problems of its own, such as no natural harbor. [At the other extreme, when US forces moved forward to occupy Amchitka, engineers drained a flooded basin, and found the underlying ground perfect for an airfield. Within two weeks B-24s were flying from there].

At Sitka, there was not enough land for a runway to accomodate aircraft takeoffs. The Navy experimented (once!) with using a catapult to launch a Kingfisher from the taxiway, with predictably disasterous results. Sitka's seaplanes stayed in the sea thereafter.

With enough time and effort a country can build an airstrip almost anywhere. The US eventually built an airstrip in French Frigate Shoals that could accomodate bombers -- it was as wide as the island, and much longer. It took the Japanese over two years to hack out a dirt runway on Marcus Island, that may not have ever been operational. In AE a player can build in those locations, but it is difficult to do so, as it was historically.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 40
RE: Building new bases - 1/12/2011 2:09:11 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I was surprised at how easy it is to move air units in WitE too. You may be right that they are simple grass strips.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Building new bases Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI