Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:32:48 PM   
PresterJohn001

The boardgame, 1985 Victory Games.

Just wondering how many of you have boardgame roots and have played this game? Whilst i'm just about old enough to have gotten it first time around I eventually purchased it via the magic of ebay last year. Played a couple of scenarios solo and it looks very interesting. Obvious inspiration for the computer game by Gary Grigsby.

I'm a frustrated boardgamer really :) oh yes and lack the space for these megagames, the wife was not especially impressed when i took over the living room table for a couple months for solo gaming World in Flames!! So witp ae suits just fine!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:37:40 PM   
Nomad

I had and played the SPI version that came out in 1978. 10 large map panels and thousands of counters.

(in reply to PresterJohn001)
Post #: 2
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:42:22 PM   
JeffroK

Thats not a mega fame, SPI's War in the Pacific is a megagame.

Played Pacific War a fair bit, had some good ideas and some small scenarios to lead you into the system..

If you look here http://www.grognard.com/titlep.html you will see some articles, replays, errata (now called patches)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 3
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:49:38 PM   
Schanilec

VG Pacific War. One of my favorite prized games in my inventory of around 50 or so boardgames dating back to my first, Avalon Hills Midway back in 1972. Though I couldn't grasp to point system for Japanese combat readiness. Seemed like for example in the smaller scenarios that the Japanese could barely get enough points for a surface group to get to Guadalcanal and that would be it nothing left for a sortie out of Truk. So I'd just leave that part out of the game. Most likely I just misunderstood that aspect of the game.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 4
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:51:25 PM   
PresterJohn001

War in the Pacific 1978 - republished in 2006. Truly a megagame, never played it. one day maybe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 5
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:54:48 PM   
TommyG

Bought the SPI game, set it up, read all the rules, but could never find anyone willing to play. Then in 1980, I got an apple II, and, well, the rest is war game history

Post #: 6
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:55:33 PM   
PresterJohn001

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Thats not a mega fame, SPI's War in the Pacific is a megagame.

Played Pacific War a fair bit, had some good ideas and some small scenarios to lead you into the system..

If you look here http://www.grognard.com/titlep.html you will see some articles, replays, errata (now called patches)

With a quoted 2340 playing pieces (PW) probably squeaks as a megagame. World in flames runs to 3400 counters in the basic set. SPI's WITP is quoted as 3200 counters. They're all big

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 7
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:59:12 PM   
PresterJohn001

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyG

Bought the SPI game, set it up, read all the rules, but could never find anyone willing to play. Then in 1980, I got an apple II, and, well, the rest is war game history

Yeah, i takes a special kind of person to want to play games that big. I've played a few over Vassal which works well for boardgames.

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 8
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 7:59:50 PM   
DaveConn

A friend and I left the SPI WITP game set up for over a year, and got through the first year of the war, before we had to call it. That was about 30 years ago; we both wrote down all our unit locations in case we ever got the chance to continue!

VG Pacific War: Played it; it was fun, but no WITP.

Anyone remember the SPI USN magazine game? That was one of the first SPI games I ever played.

But I have to say: AE is better overall than any of them!

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 9
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 8:12:54 PM   
Schanilec

I think USN 1941-43 was my first SPI game followed by Solomons Campaign. Or was it the other way around.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 10
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 9:20:49 PM   
Lameduck

I had VG Pacific War. I never could get anyone to play it. Every time I pulled out the manual, people's eyes would glaze over and they would quickly find an excuse to leave.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 11
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 9:23:43 PM   
Canoerebel

Prester, weird' you should post this today. Last night I dug through one of my closets and pulled out the game to show it to my son. Mine is still in nearly mint condition. I only played the tutorial. Thus most of the counters are still on the counter sheets. It's a beautiful looking game.

(in reply to Lameduck)
Post #: 12
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 9:28:24 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Prester, weird' you should post this today. Last night I dug through one of my closets and pulled out the game to show it to my son. Mine is still in nearly mint condition. I only played the tutorial. Thus most of the counters are still on the counter sheets. It's a beautiful looking game.

You want to see what offers you get on Ebay, big bucks for games in this condition.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 13
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 9:31:39 PM   
cantona2

Never had the pleasure but has anyone got links to either an AAR or photos of the tabletop game in action would be great to see

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 14
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 9:42:19 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
quote:

You want to see what offers you get on Ebay, big bucks for games in this condition.

Man, I couldn't bear to part with my box games. I may never play them again, but they are beautiful! Sometimes it's just fun to take them out and gaze at them.

I have perhaps 20 of them including Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here come the Rebels, 1776, Midway, Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Richtoffen's War, Submarine, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Tobruk, Terrible Swift Sword, Third Reich, Advanced Third Reich, Empire of the Rising Sun, and Civil War.

I've only played a board game once in the past 15 years. My son and I played the D-Day Scenario in Panzer Blitz (or maybe it's Leader) several times about three years ago.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 15
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 9:54:20 PM   
anarchyintheuk

As a young punk I learned a lot of geography from 1776 and Civil War. Great maps.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 10:59:59 PM   
fcharton

VG's Pacific War is an excellent game, with a very interesting system (not the typical IGOUGO). I played most of the small scenarios (and actually was in the process of starting a campaign when I bought Admiral Edition, a couple of months ago). Interestingly, it plays very well solitaire.

One thing I especially like with this game is the small map. Most detailed boardgames on the pacific war feature very large maps, with low counter density, which are a bit complicated to manage over the long period of time the game requires. Monopolizing the whole basement (or attic) for several months or years, just for one game, is something few of us can arrange (and don't get me started on cats, toddlers and other wandering pets). It did have lots of counters, though.

Also, Victory Games published two very good solitaire games on the Pacific war. Tokyo Express is about night surface combat around Guadalcanal, and Carrier, unsurprisingly, is about CV engagements. Both are one map affairs, TE plays in an evening, Carrier is a bit longer. If you can find them, they really are worth a try.

Francois

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 17
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 11:09:23 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: PresterJohn

War in the Pacific 1978 - republished in 2006. Truly a megagame, never played it. one day maybe.

Yep, me and CoachZuck played this when in high school/college. We completed a few months (cycles) several times, but never got to finish a game.

I remember my mother went to the SPI office in NYC and bought the game for me. They warned her that it would be too complicated for a kid...

Post #: 18
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 11:21:11 PM   
wdolson

I started in boardgames too.  My father gave me Luftwaffe for Christmas when I was 5.  I didn't have a prayer of understanding it then, but I eventually made up some simplified rules (a few years later) and the box got somewhat dog eared from frequent play.  When I was a teenager I discovered that Avalon Hill had a whole variety of games and I was hooked.

I never played Pacific War, but one of my favorites was Flat Tops.  I think Beyond Valor (which is the grand parent of AE) was inspired by this.  I remember back when the original IBM PC was the hottest thing on the market trying to come up with a way to computerize Flat Tops.  I could see then that all the secret movement stuff and searching could be done much better with a computer as referee.

The WitP family of games are really quite a bit more complicated than anything that was ever done in a board game.  Each turn in AE has a thousand or more of die rolls that would drive boardgamers insane, if they could follow it.  AE is the ultimate evolution of the Flat Tops game system.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 19
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 11:35:05 PM   
RJL5188

i have the game from VG as well...loved it when i played it long ago...i liked how the production system worked...reinforcements arrive automatically...

played the full campaign game as japan against a friend of mine...the rules state that the japs have no chance of winning the big scenario...

the rules are correct...VERY hard to win as japan with the rules as is...

never played War in the Pacific from SPI or War in Europe...would love to...but now with WITP-AE and WITE available...why would u want to set up a board game that has THOUSANDS of counters?

But I do play Axis and Allies on a regular basis with my playgroup...always loved Axis and Allies...

i also have SPI's ETO and PTO, all the VG fleet games, A world at war from GMT...and update of advanced third reich and empire of the rising sun...as well as some others...all they do is take up space...wish i could sell some these

< Message edited by rjl518 -- 1/7/2011 11:45:48 PM >

"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 20
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 11:37:30 PM   
DaveConn

Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!

(in reply to RJL5188)
Post #: 21
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/7/2011 11:46:49 PM   
RJL5188

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveConn

Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!

dont feel bad...i dont have a life either,,,

"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 22
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 12:19:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Man, I couldn't bear to part with my box games. I may never play them again, but they are beautiful! Sometimes it's just fun to take them out and gaze at them.

Warspite1

I'm glad there are like minded individuals out there Canoerebel, I was starting to think I was weird

I have, in mint condition, all the HMS/GRD games so far produced. Because of the size of the playing area and the complexity of the games, I suspect the games will never be played with - hell, the counters are not even cut-out....but the maps, the counters and the Orders of Battle are such works of art, I cannot get rid of them and I will continue collecting the games.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 12:25:21 AM   
Cribtop

Love board games but computer games sure make the math, set up and opponent location easier. I played most of the 80s classics. The only game we ever busted out but ran away screaming from due to size was Vietnam.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 12:39:54 AM   
bradfordkay

Just like many of you, I have a hard time even thinking abour parting with my classic old boardgames.

I setup SPI's War In The Pacific in college, but we never had the time to play it. I own VG's Pacific War, but never got very far into a campaign before Typhoon Fluffy (okay, Axel or Otis) would wipe it out.

Dan.. I have the whole collection of the GCACW (Great Campaigns of the American Civil War) series (Stonewall Jackson's Way, Road to Gettysburg, etc). I even trimmed the map edges so that I could make one massive map covering the whole theatre.. that is the one series I truly wish would be translated into a computer game.

In high school and college I had several friends with whom I regularly played these games (I have no idea how Dan and I never met, except that there wasn't a wargaming store in Athens - we had to drive to Atlanta to buy them). Flattop was one of our favorites, as were Air Force/Dauntless, Wings, Ironclads and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (though the game we probably played the most often was Speed Circuit after I created all the F1 tracks from 1978 - plus Road Atlanta - for the game).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 25
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 2:14:34 AM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I started in boardgames too.  My father gave me Luftwaffe for Christmas when I was 5.  I didn't have a prayer of understanding it then, but I eventually made up some simplified rules (a few years later) and the box got somewhat dog eared from frequent play.  When I was a teenager I discovered that Avalon Hill had a whole variety of games and I was hooked.

Funny. That (other than 10, not 5) is my same story. Started with Luftwaffe (and I'm sure I didn't play by the real rules). But then I discovered games like Third Reich, Flattops, Squad Leader etc and I've been a junkie ever since.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 26
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 2:27:56 AM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveConn

How about Amoeba Wars? Board game by Avalon Hill IIRC.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 27
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 2:31:24 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz
Funny. That (other than 10, not 5) is my same story. Started with Luftwaffe (and I'm sure I didn't play by the real rules). But then I discovered games like Third Reich, Flattops, Squad Leader etc and I've been a junkie ever since.

I think we lived parallel lives. Third Reich was my second or third wargame purchase (around age 12 or 13). Flattop and Squad Leader were also favorites from my teen years. I own the entire Squad Leader series released by AH except for the Deluxe ASL games.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 28
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 2:32:50 AM   
nashvillen

I own VG Pacific War and SPI War in the Pacific. I have played PW as recently as two years ago with a very nice gentleman from Scotland. We did it using Cyberboard. We played one campaign and made some mistakes and started over and then played another and then we both had RL issues that caused us to stop. He has recently contacted me again and I am trying to get him to use WITP:AE instead!

PW, due to the larger scale is much more abstract. As such it can be easy to go beyond what would be phically impossible (moving Imperial Guards from Bangkok to Ragoon in less than a week, for example), but otherwise a very nice game. I hae picked up an extra copy on Ebay for less than $60.00 to replace some worn out parts. There is some errata and other rulings on boardgame geek and I highly recommend implementing them. There is also a Vassal module for this game, both work well in playing the game over great distances. I am in the USA Central Time Zone and my opponent is in Scotland so we were 6 hours apart. We had 4-6 hours to play each day, but since turns took a bit we had time to do other things while waiting.

I obtained the SPI War in the Pacific from a fellow gamer that was unable to keep his games and didn't want to go through the trouble to sell them. It has a home on my game shelf and one day I will read through the rules and see what it is really like. I saw it for the first time in the early 80's and drooled over it, but it was beyond my meager college student means. So, 30 years later I have a copy. Such is life! I know have the means to aquire things like this but not the time to use it! ;)

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 29
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 2:56:59 AM   
ckk

I bought SPI WITP in 1980 took over a spare bedroom that was paneled got some sheet metal and put it on the wall. Magnetized all 3200 pieces and put them on the sheet metaled wall. Disappeared into that room to play solitare night after night. Never did figure out why that woman divorced me

Was lost for years and then I found Pacwar. I've never let go

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI