Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 3:42:19 AM   
DeriKuk

Designer: Mark Herman - http://www.boozallen.com/about/leadership/executive-leadership/herman

Mark also has a habit of showing up at http://expo.consimworld.com/

Yes, I played 'Pacific War' when it was new game in the eighties. It has a weird "clock-driven" operations method.

< Message edited by hjalmar99 -- 1/8/2011 9:10:15 AM >

(in reply to ckk)
Post #: 31
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 3:51:15 AM   
Chickenboy

"Did my time" on board games-Squad leader, ASL, Panzer leader, a few other smaller ones too.  Hard part for me was finding like minded friends interested in the experience.  Not a fan of solo boardgames. 

I'll 'out' myself with the hard core gamers here, but s'OK-I enjoyed Axis and Allies a great deal and spent many evenings with my 'beer and pretzels military interest' friends on this game.  As far as tabletop gaming, I'm afraid that I spent much more time on RPGs-AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun and the occasional Call of Cthulu.

(in reply to DeriKuk)
Post #: 32
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 4:40:27 AM   
Skyros

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

(though the game we probably played the most often was Speed Circuit after I created all the F1 tracks from 1978 - plus Road Atlanta - for the game).

Played in the speed circuit tournament at origins one year, made it to finals and got greedy and burned out my breaks.

Love all the games mentioned and own many of them. Sure would love to play again.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 33
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 4:45:04 AM   
Skyros

Loved Runquest and AD&D, Chivalry and Socery. Managed to get the role players to paly Third Reich and Terrible swift sword.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"Did my time" on board games-Squad leader, ASL, Panzer leader, a few other smaller ones too.  Hard part for me was finding like minded friends interested in the experience.  Not a fan of solo boardgames. 

I'll 'out' myself with the hard core gamers here, but s'OK-I enjoyed Axis and Allies a great deal and spent many evenings with my 'beer and pretzels military interest' friends on this game.  As far as tabletop gaming, I'm afraid that I spent much more time on RPGs-AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun and the occasional Call of Cthulu.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 5:26:47 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveConn

Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!

I think I have played most of these as well. My brother and I probably have over 4 dozen board games between us.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 35
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 6:04:00 AM   
oldman45

This sure brings back memories.

(in reply to ckk)
Post #: 36
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 8:56:32 AM   
fcharton

For those curious about the game, the rulebook can be downloaded from Mark Herman's website http://markherman.tripod.com/ (click on the Pacific War link), and very interesting replays can be found on a fansite by another PacWar bordgame designer. http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/pw.html

On Mark Herman's site is a link to a more recent design, Empire of the Sun, about the Pacific War at a larger level (and on a small map). Another very interesting design at that level of abstraction is a Japanese wargame named Pacific Fleet.

Francois

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 37
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 9:35:46 AM   
PresterJohn001

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

For those curious about the game, the rulebook can be downloaded from Mark Herman's website http://markherman.tripod.com/ (click on the Pacific War link), and very interesting replays can be found on a fansite by another PacWar bordgame designer. http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/pw.html

On Mark Herman's site is a link to a more recent design, Empire of the Sun, about the Pacific War at a larger level (and on a small map). Another very interesting design at that level of abstraction is a Japanese wargame named Pacific Fleet.

Francois

Empire of the Sun looks a good game. Card driven mechanic i think like Paths of Glory and Twilight Struggle. Its on my want list as is Fire in the Sky, WW2 Pacific Wargame by a Japanese game designer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 38
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 9:57:44 AM   
ilovestrategy

Most of my table top was D&D, Boothill, and Gamma World. And my favorite passion, Starfleet Battles. I still have the original counters and maps from the early 80s.

All my D&D stuff too!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to PresterJohn001)
Post #: 39
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 10:48:29 AM   
cantona2

The only tabletop wargame ive ever played was Eastern Front as solitaire. Though my history with DnD goes back to AD&D upto 3.5. Left it at DnD 4th Ed, was not a fan

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 40
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 8:25:27 PM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: PresterJohn

War in the Pacific 1978 - republished in 2006. Truly a megagame, never played it. one day maybe.

I have two copies of this one (the 1978 version). It takes a lot of space to set up and keep going. At this point these are collector's items.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Post #: 41
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 8:34:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: PresterJohn

The boardgame, 1985 Victory Games.

Just wondering how many of you have boardgame roots and have played this game? Whilst i'm just about old enough to have gotten it first time around I eventually purchased it via the magic of ebay last year. Played a couple of scenarios solo and it looks very interesting. Obvious inspiration for the computer game by Gary Grigsby.

I'm a frustrated boardgamer really :) oh yes and lack the space for these megagames, the wife was not especially impressed when i took over the living room table for a couple months for solo gaming World in Flames!! So witp ae suits just fine!

I had this EXCELLENT game. But as others have said, you need space... and the pets... cats... are really... dangerous So I finally managed to play without the map and counters. A bizarre system if you ask me but it worked.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 42
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 10:01:53 PM   
Capt Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think we lived parallel lives. Third Reich was my second or third wargame purchase (around age 12 or 13). Flattop and Squad Leader were also favorites from my teen years. I own the entire Squad Leader series released by AH except for the Deluxe ASL games.

Bill

That strikes me as kinda young to have started on AH/SPI games. My first "wargame" experiences were with the Milton Bradley American Heritage games. I still have Broadside, Dogfight, and Hit the Beach!, along with my dozens (hundreds?) of more advanced board wargames.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 43
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 11:26:52 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think we lived parallel lives. Third Reich was my second or third wargame purchase (around age 12 or 13). Flattop and Squad Leader were also favorites from my teen years. I own the entire Squad Leader series released by AH except for the Deluxe ASL games.

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower
That strikes me as kinda young to have started on AH/SPI games. My first "wargame" experiences were with the Milton Bradley American Heritage games. I still have Broadside, Dogfight, and Hit the Beach!, along with my dozens (hundreds?) of more advanced board wargames.

I did very little that was considered "age appropriate". When I was born, my parents were in their 40s and I have one sister 10 years older who was skipped a year in school and was still ahead of most of her peers. They just weren't prepared for another small kid and I always felt expected to achieve at the level of my sister.

When I was around 4, my father read me excerpts from Robert Johnson's book "Thunderbolt" as bedtime reading. When I asked him to read me more about a year later, he told me to read it myself, which I did (it did take me about a month though). My sister could read college level in Kindergarten, so it was just assumed I could do the same. I was never as strong at English as she was, but I got by.

I also started building plastic models when I was three. I couldn't really read the instructions, but I could look at the pictures and figure out what goes where. They were clumsy efforts compared to someone older, but thinking back they weren't bad for a 3-4 year old.

When I got Luftwaffe at 5, my parents took me on vacation the week after Christmas with me and left my sister home. She said she'd figure out the game and teach me when we got back. I was shocked when she told me it was too complex for me. Nobody in the family had ever told me I was incapable of understanding something. She was right though. I couldn't figure it out then.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 44
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/8/2011 11:27:34 PM   
Zorch

Tactics II was my first game. I still have a very beat up copy of the 1958 version.
I played SPI's War in the East and Terrible Swift Sword for years.
I never could find anyone to play War in the Pacific, either.

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 45
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/9/2011 2:04:56 AM   
bradfordkay

My very first AH wargame was Afrika Korps at the age of eleven. Dad and I were looking for Britains miniatures to try HG Wells rules system but saw all these games in the aisle at the Hobby Center. Gettysburg, D-Day, Midway, Blitzkrieg... we settled on Afrika Korps and I haven't stopped playing ever since. With multiple moves over the years, I have lost or given away more games than I have kept, but my closet is still full of many of the best - though they really don't get played anymore. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 46
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/9/2011 5:59:22 AM   
crsutton

Had it, never even punched it out. Gave it away with a lot of other mint games years ago. Still got about 30 games in their boxes. Most unplayed. I am thinking about selling the rest on Ebay.

BTW, I will be going to ASL Winter Offensive the week after this. Only board game that I still play and I don't play that much anymore.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 47
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/9/2011 6:34:23 AM   
zace

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Most of my table top was D&D, Boothill, and Gamma World. And my favorite passion, Starfleet Battles. I still have the original counters and maps from the early 80s.

All my D&D stuff too!

I wasn't the only person who liked SFB.....

IMHO some of those were the perfect size getting a win in a weekend or so.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 48
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/9/2011 3:16:25 PM   
erstad

quote:

A friend and I left the SPI WITP game set up for over a year, and got through the first year of the war, before we had to call it. That was about 30 years ago; we both wrote down all our unit locations in case we ever got the chance to continue!

Ditto! I still have the notebooks somewhere.

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 49
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/9/2011 8:03:46 PM   
CaptDave

I found a copy of PW in a game store in the early 90s. My lifelong opponent lived 1800 miles away, so never had anyone to play against, and found the 6 hours necessary just to set it up rather daunting. Pounced on the computer-based PW as soon as I found it, though!

I started board wargames with said opponent when we were in 6th grade. At that age my favorite was always Kriegspiel, although it wasn't long before I preferred those based in reality. Our favorites were Panzerblitz (for some reason, we didn't like PanzerLeader quite as much) and Third Reich.

My pie-in-the-sky wish, for when capable computers are routinely available at affordable prices, is a WitP equivalent -- with improved ground combat, of course -- covering the entire world, forcing the US player to consider political realities as well as everything military.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 50
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 1:46:39 AM   
DaveConn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

quote:

Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!

How about Amoeba Wars? Board game by Avalon Hill IIRC.

quote:

quote:

How about Amoeba Wars? Board game by Avalon Hill IIRC.

Played it (at least I am pretty sure I have). Raise you a Junta (can't remember the original publisher right now!)

--Dave

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 51
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 3:25:07 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Played it (at least I am pretty sure I have). Raise you a Junta (can't remember the original publisher right now!)

Junta is a great game! I think I still have a copy kicking around somewhere.

How about "Awful green things from outer space" (with expansion)?

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 52
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 5:57:38 AM   
erstad

quote:

How about "Awful green things from outer space" ?

Yes...

quote:

(with expansion)

No...

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 53
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 6:10:57 AM   
DaveConn

Same here; played the game without the expansion.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 54
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 9:19:08 AM   
wdolson

One of my favorite non-war games was AH's Civilization, which eventually led to the demise of the company.  AH sued Microprose over the name when they used it for the computer game and the litigation costs ruined the company.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 55
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 9:56:47 AM   
YankeeAirRat

I used to have Flat Top when I was younger and played it with a friend of mine. We even added in optional rules of once a game the Hornet could launch a strike of B-25's. Beyond that the only other war gaming on table tops was Risk, Axis and Allies, and Larry Bond's Harpoon Series (with both its WW2 and WW1 expansions).

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 56
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/10/2011 2:07:12 PM   
morganbj

First game I played was Tactics (not tactics II). Well, it was kinda like Tactics II, but it had round, not square counters, and the board was much more crude. I also played the hell out of VG Pacific War. Didn't care for the AH Pacific game. I still have them both.

BTW, my wife and I are in the "getting rid of all out stuff" stage of our lives so our kids don't have to go through all the crap when we're gone in a few years. I just can't seem to get around to putting all the stuff on Ebay, though. (I just don't have the time to get it all organized, is my excuse, but actually it's just hard to give the stuff up.) But, one day, they'll be there. Lot's of games. Lots.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 57
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/11/2011 12:35:35 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I had and played the SPI version that came out in 1978. 10 large map panels and thousands of counters.

Me too my partner in crime. In fact I broke down and tossed it just a few months ago. It had been largely destroyed by some water and rodent damge. Kind of funny because ten years ago, that baby was worth at least $250.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 58
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/11/2011 12:51:43 PM   
Mundy

Ah Amoeba Wars...

I bought that on sale back in the mid '80s for five bucks. We only quit playing about eight years ago when the board finally fell apart.

I broke into this as a Jr High kid back in 1983 when I bought the old AH Midway. Every battle seemed to end with a massive surface battle on Midway after everyone's planes were gone. I tried playing Flat Top several times, but could never find a large enough cat-free place to keep the map. UV turned out to be that on steroids, which finally filled a gap in my life.

Ed-

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 59
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 - 1/11/2011 2:26:15 PM   
Ebusitanus

Heh, just the other day I managed to play a game of Avalon Hill´s "Flatop"

"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons!"

Pompey the Great to the defenders of a besieged city who were crying outrage.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI