Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Civil War 150th

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civil War 150th Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/8/2012 3:32:57 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

On Roanoke Island, Ambrose Burnside's men moved out at daybreak. There was only one real road on the island, so the Confederates had built a redoubt blocking their advance to the fort. Their was no secondary line of defenses, since the swamps on either side were considerd to be impassable. The shooting began, and the Yankees discovered they could not get significantly more troops into the firing line than the rebels had in their defenses. The Northern advantage of 10,000 men to 3,000 seemed to be nullified.

At length the Union commander decided to try the swamps. A regiment each was sent around the two sides, and they found it difficult but not impossible. Through great good luck, the two flanking forces emerged at the same time, hitting the Confederate defenses just as a renewed frontal assault was ordered. The Southern line collapsed and surrendered. As they were being personally led by Colonel Shaw, the island's commander, this included the fort as well. For a cost of 264 casualties, including 37 killed, the Federals captured 2,500 Confederate soldiers. They also declared all the slaves on the island "contrabands" and therefore free.

The news sent a shock through Richmond. Roanoke Island controlled the access to the shallows leading to Norfolk, and then to Richmond itself. Blockade runners had previously been able to bypass Fort Monroe, but no longer. The search for scapegoats got under way.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 451
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/10/2012 9:17:05 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

One of the very few fleet naval actions of the Civil War took place near Roanoke Island. With the island firmly in the hands of the Union army, the supporting warships were now free to go after the Confederate "mosquito fleet". The six rebel vessels, mounting only one or two guns each, prepared to fight under the cover of a fort on the mainland, mounting thirty-two-pounder cannon, enough to seriously damage any ship not an ironclad. But when the Southern commodore went to the fort, he found only eight men present, and one of those appears to have wandered in purely for curiosity.

The thirteen Northern warships quickly realized the fort's fire was neither heavy nor accurate, and sailed strait for the rebel vessels. The action was short and decisive; only two Confederate ships escaped, docking at nearby Elizabeth City. The officers then tried to persuade the citizenry to burn their town, since it would soon be captured by the Yankees. The townspeople weren't having it: the Confederate commander was arrested after setting the courthouse on fire. Realizing what was up, the pursuing Union ships landed their own men, taking control of the town and receiving the cheers of the slaves who were about to be freed.

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 2/14/2012 8:38:39 PM >

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 452
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/13/2012 4:42:39 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

After the surrender of Fort Henry, U. S. Grant had announced that he would advance to Fort Donelson and capture it on Feb. 8th. This had proved overoptimistic, for although the distance was only twelve miles, the weather was rainy, the roads were muddy, and the fleet of riverboats had needed repairs and resupply. But now Grant had finally got his army reinforced and more or less in position. He now had about 24,000 men, meaning he needed several subordinate generals even though he was still only a Brigadier General.

The delay had given the Confederates time to reinforce. The overall commander in the area was Brigadier General John Floyd, whose quarreling with General Wise had helped the South to lose West Virginia. He was intelligent enough to know how important his position was, however: if the fort fell, the way would be open to Nashville, the capital of Tennessee and one of the South's major manufacturing centers. He had therefore requested and received about 16,000 men and drawn up three miles of defensive tranches and earthworks covering about a square mile, including the fort and the nearby town of Dover, Tennessee. On this date, Grant's subordinates proved even more aggressive than their leader, launching several probing attacks although Grant had specifically instructed them not to bring on a "general engagement".

Grant had been wise, however: no naval support was ready yet, and all of the attacks were repulsed. Darkness fell, bringing freezing cold and snow. Both sides spent a miserable night, for sharpshooters made campfires too risky.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 453
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/14/2012 5:42:36 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

It was the turn of the Union navy to try to reduce Fort Donelson. Flag Officer Andrew Foote took his time getting his fleet into position, and opened fire at 3:00 PM. It soon became apparent that Fort Donelson had several advantages over Fort Henry. It was higher on a bluff, so none of the guns were flooded, and could also deliver plunging fire onto the less heavily armored tops of the ironclads.

The Southern artillery gave the fleet a pounding. From a total of 500 Confederate shots, flagship St. Louis was hit 59 times with one shot destroying the wheelhouse. Carondelet had taken 54 hits, also nullifying her ability to steer. Louisville took 36 hits, also disabling her, and Pittsburg received 20, opening leaks in her hull. A total of eleven sailors had been killed, and forty more wounded, including Foote himself.

It was clear that taking this fort would be a job for the army. But there was one bit of help for the Yankees. Behind the gunboats, several transports had landed 6,000 more men. Better, they had been seen by the rebels, and General Floyd had estimated about four times as many reinforcements as there actually were. He came to the conclusion that he could not hold, and decided that a breakout was the only way to save his army.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 2/14/2012 8:34:30 PM >

Post #: 454
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/14/2012 6:44:37 AM   
smith148

Oh, okay Sarge.

Post #: 455
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/15/2012 8:34:23 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

At Fort Donelson, the attempt to breakout was made. Several Confederate brigades under Brigadier Gideon Pillow hit the Union positions on the eastern flank of their lines. Cavalry under Nathan Bedford Forrest drove back the pickets, and then a full-scale assault, complete with Rebel Yell, crashed into the Yankees. The fighting was hard, but the Northerners had not entrenched as well as they might have, and reinforcements were shamefully slow in coming. (Grant was busy conferring with naval commander Foote, and General Lew Wallace, who would later write Ben-Hur, at first thought the firing was another probing attack by the Union side.) After several hours, Pillow's men had opened up the road to escape and Nashville.

But in the afternoon, it was the Southerners' turn to become confused. General Floyd had, amazingly, forgotten to give exact orders for what to do when the breakthrough was achieved. Pillow decided his men did not have enough supplies for the march to Nashville, and pulled them back to re-supply. His fellow general Simon Bolivar Buckner was outraged, and demanded that Floyd personally see to the situation. When Floyd arrived, Pillow somehow managed to convince his commander that his actions were correct. (Possibly they decided they could beat the Federals after all, and should hold their ground.)

Meanwhile, Grant was finally taking charge. He ordered Lew Wallace and John McClernand to re-take the eastern blocking position, which they did imperfectly. Grant also ordered the units on the western side, under Brigadier Charles F. Smith, to break through the Confederate lines and take Fort Donelson. Smith's men could not accomplish the second in the limited daylight hours left, but they did the first in fine style. Too many Southerners had been pulled out to join the breakout to the east, and many of those left were armed only with shotguns. Smith had his cigar shot in two, but he replaced it with a fresh one, and by nightfall his men were in position for an assault on the fort.

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 2/15/2012 8:35:24 PM >

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to smith148)
Post #: 456
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/15/2012 11:24:02 PM   
parusski

Keep up the great work Capt. Harlock.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 457
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/15/2012 11:40:22 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

'Smith had his cigar shot in two, but he replaced it with a fresh one, and by nightfall his men were in position for an assault on the fort.'

Wow. That happens to me and I'm going and takin' a nap.

Good stuff again.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 458
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/16/2012 5:55:33 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

In the wee hours of the morning, General Floyd held a conference with his subordinates. Floyd and General Pillow were happy with the casualties they had inflicted on the Union right, but General Simon B. Buckner threw cold water on the meeting. The Union left would attack at daybreak, and Buckner estimated he could hold Fort Donelson only thirty minutes against them. Floyd had been U.S. Secretary of War during the Buchanan administration, and had shipped quantities of arms to the southern states, so he feared he would be tried for treason if captured. Pillow was also nervous about becoming a Union prisoner, so the two turned over the command to Buckner, found some river transport, and made their escapes. Nathan Bedford Forrest was furious at this lack of gumption, but he had every intention of fighting on. He gathered 700 cavalrymen and slipped through the Federal net by fording Lick Creek, which was too high for men on foot but not for horsemen. Forrest would be heard from again, to put it mildly.

Buckner had been a friend of Grant's before the secession. Hoping he could get generous terms, Buckner began the following correspondence:

HEADQUARTERS, Fort Donelson
February 16, 1862.

Brig. Gen. U.S. GRANT,
Commanding U.S. Forces near Fort Donelson.

SIR: In consideration of all the circumstances governing the present situation of affairs at this station I propose to the commanding officers of the Federal forces the appointment of commissioners to agree upon terms of capitulation of the forces and post under my command, and in that view suggest an armistice until 12 o'clock to-day.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
S. B. BUCKNER,
Brigadier-General, C. S. Army.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY IN THE FIELD
Camp near Fort Donelson
February 16, 1862.

General S. B. BUCKNER,
Confederate Army.

SIR: Yours of this date, proposing armistice and appointment of commissioners to settle terms of capitulation, is just received. No terms except unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted.
I propose to move immediately upon your works.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
U.S. GRANT,
Brigadier-General, Commanding.

HEADQUARTERS,
Dover, Tenn.
February 16, 1862.

Brig. Gen. U.S. GRANT,
U.S. A.

SIR: The distribution of the forces under my command incident to an unexpected change of commanders and the overwhelming force under your command compel me, notwithstanding the brilliant success of the Confederate arms yesterday, to accept the ungenerous and unchivalrous terms which you propose.

I am, sir, your very obedient servant,
S. B. BUCKNER,
Brigadier. General, C. S. Army.

And thus was born the legend of "Unconditional Surrender" Grant. Over twelve thousand Southerners became prisoners, and the way was open to Nashville.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 459
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/16/2012 12:36:53 PM   
parusski

[

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Post #: 460
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/16/2012 5:11:14 PM   
planner 3

Adding another RED BUTTON ......How many before this little button fails ????

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 461
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/17/2012 7:44:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Confederate fortunes in Missouri kept going downhill. Union General Samuel Curtis, a West Point man with experience in the Mexican-American war, had assembled a force of over 10,000 Federals with 50 guns. Sterling Price was aware that his Missouri State Guard was no match for such a force, so he retreated. Curtis followed him, marching his men at an impressive pace. On this date, Price and his men were forced to go completely out of Missouri, and into Arkansas. Curtis' force followed, as little as eight hours behind.

But Arkansas was solidly in the Confederacy, and reinforcements were at hand. Enough troops were nearby to bring the Rebel strength up to over 16,000. The bad news for Sterling Price was that he would now be subordinate to the Southern commander in Arkansas, a Major General named Earl Van Dorn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 2/18/2012 3:01:25 AM >

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 462
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/18/2012 9:43:01 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

In West Virginia, the constitutional convention formally adopted the first Constitution of the State of West Virginia. (The name of "Kanawha" for the new state had by now been abandoned.) It now remained to put the constitution to a popular vote, and then submit it to the U.S. Congress for formal incorporation as a new state of the Union.

The South had its own milestone. On this date, the First Confederate Congress officially came to order in Richmond. Previously, there had been a Provisional Congress, but the Senators and Representatives of the First Congress had been duly elected in the November 1861 vote. Note there were 26 Senators from thirteen states: the Confederacy still claimed Missouri and Kentucky.

--Victor Hugo
Post #: 463
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/19/2012 10:57:57 AM   
nicwb

quote:

The bad news for Sterling Price was that he would now be subordinate to the Southern commander in Arkansas, a Major General named Earl Van Dorn.

I can just smell another personality clash coming on

Post #: 464
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/19/2012 11:09:44 AM   
bilatun

It's very interesting topic, I appreciate your knowledge

Post #: 465
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/19/2012 4:01:38 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: bilatun

It's very interesting topic, I appreciate your knowledge

Bot, return to China.

(in reply to bilatun)
Post #: 466
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/19/2012 9:31:17 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

With both Fort Henry and Fort Donelson in Union hands, and the Union river fleet more powerful than anything the Confederates had, the overall Southern commander in the west Albert Sidney Johnston had a problem. He decided that Nashville could not be held after the loss of over 12,000 men at Donelson, and gave orders to pull back to Murfreesboro to form a defensive line there. Since this was nearly the exact center of the state of Tennessee, he hoped to be able to counter-attack when and where he saw the chance.

Not surprisingly, the residents of Nashville were outraged at being abandoned to the Yankees. Matters were not helped when the retreating Southern army tried to take much of the militarily useful factory machinery in the city with them, as well as food and other supplies. On this date, a mob of Nashville citizens broke into the army headquarters, and with that, law and order broke down. Nathan Bedford Forrest, with his force of cavalrymen, tried to stop the looting on both sides, but with very limited success. It is estimated that the rebel soldiers marched out of Nashville with only half of the supplies they had planned.

And there does not seem to have been much urgency. U. S. Grant was all in favor of advancing on Nashville, but it was outside the area of responsibility assigned to him. Nashville fell into the Department of the Cumberland, and that had been assigned to General Don Carlos Buell. Unfortunately for the North, Buell was a general in the mold of George McClellan; an able administrator but cautious and slow to advance.

Attachment (1)

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 467
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/20/2012 5:19:54 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Tragedy struck the White House with the death of the President's son William Wallace "Willie" Lincoln, age 11, probably of typhoid fever. It was an era where death from disease was far more common than today: only one of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln's four children survived to adulthood. And though civil war armies sustained battlefield casualty rates that would break almost any modern army, two out of three deaths in the ranks were due to disease rather than combat.

Something ignored by most histories of the Civil War is that the Confederacy also laid claim to territory outside the states. The southern half of New Mexico Territory (most of modern-day Arizona and New Mexico) was mostly populated by Southern sympathizers, and a convention in 1861 had voted to join the Confederacy. Whether or not this was legal is a debatable question: territories are supposed to be administered by the Federal government. For instance, while a Territory has a popularly elected legislature, the Governor is appointed by the U.S. President.

In any case, control of the territory would be determined by military strength, as in so much else of the Civil War. A certain Henry Hopkins Sibley had received an appointment as a Confederate Brigadier General, raised a force of about 2,500 men in Texas, and was now advancing towards Albuquerque. The main force opposing him was the 3,000-man garrison in Fort Craig under Colonel Edward Canby. Both sides had problems: Sibley's Texans were low on supplies, but Canby's bluecoats were mostly untrained volunteers. The Union had one big edge: its scouts were experienced and knew the area. One of them was none other than Kit Carson.

On this date, the Southerners were encamped near Fort Craig, hoping to lure the garrison into the open and even battle. Late at night, the Northerners tried a remarkable tactic: sending two mules loaded with barrels of gunpowder with lit fuses towards the rebel camp. However, the faithful mules insisted on turning back toward the Union camp before blowing up. Although the only casualties were the pair of mules, the explosions stampeded a herd of Texas beef cattle within the Confederate lines, making Sibley's supply situation even more difficult.

Attachment (1)

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 468
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/20/2012 11:36:35 AM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

On this date, the Southerners were encamped near Fort Craig, hoping to lure the garrison into the open and even battle. Late at night, the Northerners tried a remarkable tactic: sending two mules loaded with barrels of gunpowder with lit fuses towards the rebel camp. However, the faithful mules insisted on turning back toward the Union camp before blowing up. Although the only casualties were the pair of mules, the explosions stampeded a herd of Texas beef cattle within the Confederate lines, making Sibley's supply situation even more difficult.

I know I shouldn't have, but this part made me chuckle.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 469
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/20/2012 12:01:34 PM   
nicwb

As a side note Gens Sibley and Canby get a small mention in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 470
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/20/2012 5:10:32 PM   
planner 3

Comments from the Mules: " Hey Jack what are we carrying in these barrels ?"
" Hell if I know Mulie."
" Well I'm getting tired of walking and hungry"
" Let's go back and chow down, maybe we can get ride of this load "

KABLOWEE !!!!!!!

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 471
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/21/2012 4:44:06 AM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

At the Toombs jail in New York City, a man named Nathaniel Gordon became the only American to be hanged for slave trading. Several appeals were made to President Lincoln for clemency, and indeed Lincoln had a record of granting mercy in more than three-quarters of the cases brought to him. But not this time:

I believe I am kindly enough in nature, and can be moved to pity and to pardon the perpetrator of almost the worst crime that the mind of man can conceive or the arm of man can execute; but any man, who, for paltry gain and stimulated only by avarice, can rob Africa of her children to sell into interminable bondage, I never will pardon.

In New Mexico, Confederate General Sibley attempted to take his army past Fort Craig and block the supply road. Union scouts informed Colonel Canby of the move, and he marched out most of his men from the fort to intercept the Southerners. This appeared to be what the Confederates wanted: open battle in the field instead of the Yankees using the protection of the fort walls.

Canby timed his assault fairly well, hitting the rebels just as they were about to cross the Rio Grande at a place called Valverde. For a time the Federals had the edge; both their riles and their artillery out-ranged their enemies' equipment. Also, a company of Southern lancers charged what they thought was a green New Mexico company but which was actually an experienced Colorado company. Almost all of the horses disabled or killed as well as twenty of the lancers. This was the first and last lancer charge of the Civil War. (The survivors promptly re-armed themselves with pistols and shotguns.)

But eventually Canby wanted to deliver a knock-out blow to the rebels. He drew men and guns from his line to attempt to flank to the right. The Southerners saw the weakening of the Union center and launched a determined attack. By this time, the Confederate troops were suffering considerably from thirst, and the Yankees (unfortunately for them) were blocking the way to the river. Three waves of highly motivated Confederate infantry eventually broke the Union line, capturing six guns and sending much of Canby's force into a rout.

Canby sent a white flag, requesting a temporary truce to recover dead and wounded, to which Sibley perhaps unwisely agreed. The Union force retreated back to Fort Craig, minus about 110 killed, 160 wounded, and 200 deserters. The Confederates lost between 150 to 230 killed and wounded, and now had possession of the battlefield.

But it was not enough of a victory. Although the Southerners now had water, they did not have enough other supplies to remain where they were. Sibley was an aggressive commander: he decided to march north towards Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 2/23/2012 8:47:31 PM >

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 472
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/22/2012 8:34:47 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

It was the 130th anniversary of George Washington's birthday, and both North and South hoped it would be auspicious for them.

This was the day that Lincoln had ordered for a coordinated offensive. In the west, there was a response. Don Carlos Buell could ignore U. S. Grant, but he could not ignore his commander-in-chief, and rumors were reaching him that Nashville had been abandoned. (The rumors were correct.) Buell didn't like the idea of advancing without railroad support, so he put a force on board an improvised train to see how far south they could go. As it turned out, a few simple repairs to tracks and bridges would take them further than Buell had in mind.

Samuel Curtis was not moving, but digging in to a position at a place called Sugar Creek. He had excellent reason, however: his bluecoats were already inside Arkansas, and facing a rebel army a third again the size of his own.

But in the east, the Union armies were quiet. William Rosecrans and his troops were enduring a cold winter in West Virginia. Both sides were aware that leaving their winter quarters risked far more losses from frostbite and disease than was worth what they might expect to gain. George McClellan's Army of the Potomac was also immobile while the debate over his plan for an amphibious landing went on in Washington. Most in Lincoln's administration believed such a move could not be supported with adequate supplies. But the Quartermaster General, Montgomery Meigs, was one of the unsung geniuses of the war, and he became convinced he could do it.

In Richmond, Jefferson Davis and Alexander Stephens were formally inaugurated for their six-year terms. Although they were technically already President and Vice-President, they were now constitutionally and popularly elected. Naturally, Davis gave a speech for the occasion. He claimed thirteen states in the Confederacy, and openly hoped for Maryland to join. And although he said, "It is a satisfaction that we have maintained the war by our unaided exertions. We have neither asked nor received assistance from any quarter." he spoke of the advantages of trade which would come "When the independence of the Confederate States is recognized by the nations of the earth".

The full text is at:
http://jeffersondavis.rice.edu/Content.aspx?id=107

Attachment (1)

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 473
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/25/2012 4:16:18 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

The troop train assembled by Don Carlos Buell had been able to advance all the way to the banks of the Cumberland river opposite Nashville. However, as part of the Confederate retreat, Nathan Bedford Forrest had seen to it that all the bridges into Nashville were burned. Expecting opposition, Buell wanted to bring up the bulk of his army before he crossed into the city.

But U. S. Grant was of a more aggressive frame of mind. He ordered a brigade under General William "Bull" Nelson cross by boat into the city. Nelson and his troops had been detached by Buell to assist Grant, so the chain of command was not clear. Nonetheless, Nelson went forward, and was soon involved in the details of restoring order to the streets. (The mayor of Nashville wanted to surrender to the highest ranking officer in the area, but that was Buell, who took some persuasion to enter the city.)

Nashville was the first Confederate state capital to fall into Union hands. It would soon occur to the Northerners that they could set up their own state government, beginning the policy of Reconstruction.

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 474
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/28/2012 8:27:09 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

Sixty men under one Captain Sherod Hunter walked into Tucson, Arizona, and claimed it for the Confederacy. In sharp contrast to the city of today, at this time Tucson was a town of not quite a thousand souls. Nearly all of them were grateful to see Hunter and his troops, for rumors had been flying of Indian attacks and invasion from Mexico.

In the meantime, General Sibley and his 2,500-strong rebel force was advancing slowly northward towards Albuquerque. Colonel Canby, his Union opponent, decided to abandon his advantage in numbers, disbanding his militia and many of his volunteer units. Canby sent his horsemen north, actually passing the Confederate body on the way, to act as partisans and slow the Southerners, and to warn the Union forces ahead. By far the most important of these was at Fort Union, which was being reinforced by Coloradans marching all the way from Denver. Those would cover 400 miles (640 km) in only 14 days.

--Victor Hugo
Post #: 475
RE: Civil War 150th - 2/29/2012 8:50:23 PM   
Capt. Harlock

End of February 1862:

1862 was not a leap year, so there is no exact 150th anniversary. But things were moving, nonetheless. In Richmond, the recent Yankee successes were causing serious unhappiness. Now that a properly elected Congress was in session, the search for a scapegoat had settled on Secretary of War Judah Benjamin. An official vote of censure was in order, and Benjamin would resign rather than contest the decision.

Along the Mississippi, the Union river warfare campaign was on a roll. The next target was clearly a double bend in the river at New Madrid in the south-east corner of Missouri. Since they could read maps, the Confederates had built strong fortifications around the town, and even more formidable defenses on an island in the middle of the river. The map-makers' inspiration had apparently failed at this point, for the island was simply named Island Number 10.

Against this position, Union General John Pope had been given a force of 25,000 men and promised the assistance of Andrew Foote's gunboat flotilla. The armored gunboats were still largely under repair after the unsuccessful cannon duel with Fort Donelson, but Pope was not in a mood to wait. He got his army out of winter quarters and began the march towards New Madrid. This was not supposed to be practical, because the roads were muddy from the late winter rains. Pope's men cut down trees, chopped them into logs, and laid them on the road surface, a process called "corduroying". It worked, and Sherman would make more famous use of this technique later on.

Attachment (1)

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 476
RE: Civil War 150th - 3/2/2012 8:10:12 PM   
Capt. Harlock

150 Years Ago Today:

An advance force of General Sibley's Confederates, about 200 strong, rode into Albuquerque and took possession of the town. But they were too late: that morning the Federal commander of the military depot had loaded what supplies he could onto wagons bound for Sante Fe, and ordered the torch applied to the rest. Sibley's troops would be able to get water and a little food from the Southern sympathizers in Albuquerque, but almost nothing else.

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 477
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civil War 150th Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI