Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Schwerpunkt - reflection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Schwerpunkt - reflection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Schwerpunkt - reflection - 1/18/2011 4:11:53 PM   
magnno66

Last night I got a evreka feeling while playing the GE in the Road to Smolensk and Road to Ledingrad scenarios that I thought I'd share.

In order to create a proper schwerpukt as the german doctrine stipulated, you need a PG of at least three pz corps. In order to keep up the momentum and retain cohesiveness for several turns, one should roll the three corps allways keeping one of them somewhat behind, ready to take over. This is possible with the two groups at hand in AGC. Used effectivly one can easily be in Bryansk and Vyazma on turn 9 playing on "normal".

Looking at AG north in the RTL scenario one is equiped with a too-small pz-group to effectively gain a coherrent schwerpunkt. So what are the options here in order to increase chances to take Leningrad in the GC scenario? I haven't tried it yet, but I suggest, if you are after Leningrad instead of Moscow in 1941 you can shift one pz corps to army group north early in the game. That would give you the right toolbox for taking it.

Any other reflections on creating schwerpunkts?

< Message edited by magnno66 -- 1/18/2011 4:43:57 PM >

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." President Merkin Muffley
Post #: 1
RE: Schwerpunkt - reflection - 1/18/2011 5:28:32 PM   
AZKGungHo

How do you "easily" get that far on Normal? I haven't managed to get even close yet! I'd love to see an AAR or a tutorial from you on how you do that.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to magnno66)
Post #: 2
RE: Schwerpunkt - reflection - 1/18/2011 6:50:26 PM   
paullus99

You never have enough troops or tanks to do exactly what you want to do - especially in the GC. You can certainly move your armored formations around, but overcommitting them in the north can lead to big losses - especially the closer you get to the city where the terrain favors the defender (especially if they've had time to dig in). In 1941, the Panzers are your rapier & really should only be used to gain ground & encircle for the infantry to clear things up afterwards.

Historically, the Germans erred by having three separate thrusts, along divergent axis, that were not mutually supporting - this game makes you pay if you repeat the same mistake.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 3
RE: Schwerpunkt - reflection - 1/18/2011 7:59:44 PM   
Farfarer61

quote:

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

How do you "easily" get that far on Normal? I haven't managed to get even close yet! I'd love to see an AAR or a tutorial from you on how you do that.

Essentially the AI will heabily defend Leneingrad and Moscow if you threaten them seriously, the AI will more or less abandon everything else, knowing that Russia can regain all those cities in the Blizzard. I always get sucked into going for Moscow after Turn seven when I am sitting around Vyazma/bryansk - and there is nothing but routed units and air bases in front of Moscow. Then POOF there is suddenly a double line/double stack of good INF Divs which is reborn every turn. I then kick myself for not turning the Pz south and going "pocketing".

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Schwerpunkt - reflection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI