Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Monitoring station

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Monitoring station Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monitoring station - 1/20/2011 7:57:19 PM   
Bandersnatch

It seems that at every colony there is an option to build a monitoring station. But nowhere in the instructions can I find out what a monitoring station does, except maybe monitor. What is it monitoring? Should every colony have one of these? Does it have tactical significance? Does it monitor what I am doing, or what somebody else is doing? Does it give me information that I can interact with? Should I save my money or credits, and buy something else instead. It’s mentioned in Galactopedia several times, but does not say what it monitors. Much thanks. Bander
Post #: 1
RE: Monitoring station - 1/20/2011 8:03:09 PM   
new_bee

It acts as radar. You could see all movement in range and also they warn about enemy fleet targets.

(in reply to Bandersnatch)
Post #: 2
RE: Monitoring station - 1/20/2011 8:11:35 PM   
gmot

Very useful to have monitoring so you don't get surprised by someone creeping up on you.

But you don't need to build dedicated monitoring stations. I redesign my space ports to have a long-range monitoring component, and then build one of those in every system. Provides good coverage and does 2 things in one.

(in reply to new_bee)
Post #: 3
RE: Monitoring station - 1/20/2011 10:55:32 PM   
Data

yap, that is for defensive purposes....i don't find the long range scanner (the actual tech for which the monitoring station is built) to be that large so I also place it on fast scouts (only the lrs and engines, aside from the mandatory stuff) for offensive....something like awacs in space

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to gmot)
Post #: 4
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 1:54:49 AM   
gmot

Yes, that's a good idea. Never done that for some reason, but will try that out.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 2:16:24 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bandersnatch

It seems that at every colony there is an option to build a monitoring station. But nowhere in the instructions can I find out what a monitoring station does, except maybe monitor. What is it monitoring? Should every colony have one of these? Does it have tactical significance? Does it monitor what I am doing, or what somebody else is doing? Does it give me information that I can interact with? Should I save my money or credits, and buy something else instead. It’s mentioned in Galactopedia several times, but does not say what it monitors. Much thanks. Bander

Having a few Monitoring Stations built around your empire will be particularly helpful in the
mid-to-end game. By the time you have war(s) going with other empires or with the Shakturi, there
is no better feeling than getting a report from one of your stations {'Enemy fleet XXX approaching
planet YYY} that gives you time enough to gather forces to defend. Trust me on that!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Bandersnatch)
Post #: 6
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 2:36:32 AM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bandersnatch

Having a few Monitoring Stations built around your empire will be particularly helpful in the
mid-to-end game. By the time you have war(s) going with other empires or with the Shakturi, there
is no better feeling than getting a report from one of your stations {'Enemy fleet XXX approaching
planet YYY} that gives you time enough to gather forces to defend. Trust me on that!

They give reports ? !
I never got one...
(Although I have monitoring station around my empire and near my enemy's.)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 4:43:06 AM   
ehsumrell1

Yes they do. In fact, I have seen during my testing 4 reports one after the other
that 4 fleets from three different empires were en-route to different target
planets. Very exhilarating! Especially when I found out that one of the fleets
contained a World Destroyer. It was a VERY BAD DAY for planet Phobos!

It went

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 8
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 9:19:15 AM   
Data

this is one compeling reason to plant them....everywhere

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 9
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 9:27:07 AM   
J HG T

Knowledge is power.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 10
RE: Monitoring station - 1/21/2011 4:21:28 PM   
Bandersnatch

Wow, good remarks, many thanks!

By the way, I posted the message yesterday, but could not find it today. So I  posted another identical one today. Now I find the one from yesterday, but not the one from today.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Monitoring station Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI