Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HI " Banking " question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> HI " Banking " question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 12:08:58 AM   
stuman

I should know the answer to the following question by now, but I don't. I have looked for the explanation ( I think I have seen something in the past but cannot find it now ) to no avail.

While I was diligently planning on how I was going to put away HI points in a Downfall game, it dawned on me that I do not know exactly what the hoarding of HI points really represents in game terms. In RL ( to state the obvious ) factories are either making stuff, or not. In game we have working industry, or repairing industry, or expanding industry. So why are we able to bank these points ?

This is NOT a complaint, or " game is broken " kind of thing. Most of you know me better than that. It is just a public display of my ignorance ( so please do not lower my self esteem, or make me feel bad about who I am. Be gentle, I may need a Blue Ribbon later because I am a special person. We are all special, And unique. And I am OK, and YOU are OK).

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 1
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 12:13:40 AM   
Chickenboy

Hiya Stu,

It's a good question. I look at it as abstract potential factory capacity. Think equipment orders with the raw materials bought, paid for and ready to be made into something-anything will do. As the game progresses, you continuously develop additional reserve capacity-new materials, orders, factory throughput. Sure, it is an abstraction, but this may rationalize it a bit for you.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 2
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 12:44:07 AM   
Alfred

Think of it as an economy wide build up of stock inventories. Build up of finished rolled steel, aluminium sheet, ammunition, tyres, ball bearings etc - in fact any manufactured product not otherwise covered by the other abstracted industrial products (engines, vehicles, armaments etc).

Alfred

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 12:55:32 AM   
stuman

Hmm, well those explanations make sense. I hadn't quite thought about it in those terms. I know we stockpile engines and so forth, but I guess you are right, pallets of this, trainloads of that. Stuff in warehouses.

Thanks. Now I can proceed to go pile up more HI

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 1:30:21 AM   
USSAmerica

Bean counters.  Sheesh.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 5
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 1:47:37 AM   
zace

Look at the inventory numbers today.

Inventory numbers for a steel company, coal company, plastic company, etc (output side) is HI.

(Input) inventory for a car company, producer is also HI.

We still have this today and is the inventory adjuster to GDP that goes into the second revision for the quarter. IE the GDP numbers released last week are without the inventory adjuster or in game terms the buildup of HI.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 1:53:47 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

While I was diligently planning on how I was going to put away HI points in a Downfall game, it dawned on me that I do not know exactly what the hoarding of HI points really represents in game terms. In RL ( to state the obvious ) factories are either making stuff, or not. In game we have working industry, or repairing industry, or expanding industry. So why are we able to bank these points ?

Well not to make too fine a point but repairing and expanding Industry don't add to HI points until they're working.

As to what it's worth:
18 HI points per Engine
18 HI points per Single Engined Aircraft (18 per engine)
HI per ship (from laying down hull)= ((durability * 10)* durability)*3
HI per Arm / Veh point = *6 (and the associated cost of each device I could go into but it is a long equation ... and pointless for this post anyway)

In downfall you've got very little to play with - Fuel and Res are stuck in China and need to be extracted, little manpower - it's a difficult but doable proposition ...

But with the Strategic Bombing model way too powerful combined with the x2 multiplier of HI factories in AE compared to witp ... the eradication of Japanese HI is too easy.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 7
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 2:55:31 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: zace

Look at the inventory numbers today.

Inventory numbers for a steel company, coal company, plastic company, etc (output side) is HI.

(Input) inventory for a car company, producer is also HI.

We still have this today and is the inventory adjuster to GDP that goes into the second revision for the quarter. IE the GDP numbers released last week are without the inventory adjuster or in game terms the buildup of HI.

Speaking my language ! I know all of this is an abstraction in game, it makes a bit more sense after these discussions.

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 8
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/30/2011 3:38:17 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

Well not to make too fine a point but repairing and expanding Industry don't add to HI points until they're working.

As to what it's worth:
18 HI points per Engine
18 HI points per Single Engined Aircraft (18 per engine)
HI per ship (from laying down hull)= ((durability * 10)* durability)*3
HI per Arm / Veh point = *6 (and the associated cost of each device I could go into but it is a long equation ... and pointless for this post anyway)

In downfall you've got very little to play with - Fuel and Res are stuck in China and need to be extracted, little manpower - it's a difficult but doable proposition ...

But with the Strategic Bombing model way too powerful combined with the x2 multiplier of HI factories in AE compared to witp ... the eradication of Japanese HI is too easy.

It does make it hard in this scenario. I am not finished testing this, but I think if the Allies start an agressive bombing campaign against HI immediately it will possibly ( probably ? ) disrupt production enough to keep the best Japanese fighters from reaching the front lines in numbers.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 9
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/31/2011 1:33:09 AM   
vonTirpitz

Do not forget the thousands in HI that pilot training in Japan consumes each month.

My best guess is that is represents the beer ration for each graduating class...

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 10
RE: HI " Banking " question - 1/31/2011 3:37:33 AM   
zace

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

Do not forget the thousands in HI that pilot training in Japan consumes each month.

My best guess is that is represents the beer ration for each graduating class...

it accounts for all the training aircraft damage...

(in reply to vonTirpitz)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> HI " Banking " question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI