Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/2/2011 8:39:05 AM   
Igard

TJ, you're talking about the work you emailed me about the other day? I'm not sure what you were planning, but there's probably still much to do to get it looking like TOS. All these images were based on the work Taldren did with Starfleet Command II: orion pirates. So it's all TMP era.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 31
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/2/2011 9:48:42 AM   
Data

quote:

It might be worth experimenting with...

by all means, Igard, please continue experimenting....the things that come out of your head are awesome

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 32
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 7:36:41 PM   
Igard

Continuing with the previews, which I forgot about for a while. No prizes for guessing who these ships belong to.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 33
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 7:41:55 PM   
Igard

And finally the Tholians

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 34
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 7:50:56 PM   
WoodMan

What size ships are these?  They look huge compared to ships in my game.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 35
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 8:03:12 PM   
Igard

These are just the normal sizes. I just start a new game and line up the ships using the editor. They're zoomed in to the max using the page up key.

Also, the Tholian cruiser and capital are really big because of the alpha ratio scaling.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 36
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 8:42:41 PM   
WoodMan

ah, okay didnt realise it was max zoom 

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 37
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 9:03:53 PM   
NefariousKoel

Nice job on the  Romulan stuff!  Their paint jobs are great!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 38
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 9:24:07 PM   
Igard

All credit for textures and models goes to the Starfleet Command modders. I do sometimes re-colour and re-shape, but for the Romulans I didn't have to touch a thing. They're very impressive designs.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 39
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 9:48:59 PM   
NefariousKoel

Very much so.  They seem to have more of a 'weathered' look to them. 

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 40
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/6/2011 10:52:50 PM   
Igard

They do don't they? I don't know what that's all about. The Kirk era was only a short time ago when they were all flying around in shiny white Birds of Prey. Maybe the empire was going through cut backs since this was a period of isolation for the Romulans.

Post #: 41
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/7/2011 4:50:44 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

but for the Romulans I didn't have to touch a thing. They're very impressive designs.

Are we being just a "bit" biased Igard.........

{From your neighborhood Sona friend) LOL!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 42
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/7/2011 7:01:28 AM   
Data

lol, that was a good one

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 43
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/7/2011 2:14:30 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Are we being just a "bit" biased Igard.........

But, of course!

I was actually paraphrasing Jean-Luc Picard. His reaction when he first encounters a Warbird is, "impressive design".

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 44
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/7/2011 11:21:06 PM   
tjhkkr

Are we being just a "bit" biased Igard.

Well, you know ehsumrell1, why go through all the money and expense of new ships when you can get the old ones shot up just as easily as the new ones.... [TJHKKR says when his own stormtroopers have the IQ of a tribble]

Okay seriously, there are a lot of cool looking Romulan ships out there, but I cannot use them all... it would sort of dominate a game where there should be no Romulan or Klingon ships at all...
I have to say, the coolest ship of all is the D-7M. I do not know why, but that design has always been my favorites.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 45
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/7/2011 11:24:40 PM   
tjhkkr

Now that is what you need, IGard...
A new race for your collection... Tribbles.
Striking terror in the galaxy wherever they go.

Or to borrow CodeForce's words... an ancient menace has reappeared...

Tribbles

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 46
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/8/2011 7:03:35 AM   
Data

didn't they affect only klingons? and tribbles have no ships, it would be like a biological weapon we could use
go forth and multiply and what not

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 47
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/12/2011 6:35:51 AM   
tjhkkr

I have actually had the chance to really sit down and play the game in depth for the first time in a while; your work is excellent.
Thank you.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 48
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/12/2011 8:08:19 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

They do don't they? I don't know what that's all about. The Kirk era was only a short time ago when they were all flying around in shiny white Birds of Prey. Maybe the empire was going through cut backs since this was a period of isolation for the Romulans.

I recall reading about a brief Romulan-Klingon alliance period where the Klingons sold the Roms a bunch of their ships and tech... and the Romulans started utilizing some of the design features in their next native designs. Which is what these 'Spock Era' ones are. Of course, the Klingons got some cloaking tech in return.

That was SFB reading, IIRC.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 49
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/12/2011 8:12:44 PM   
Data

afaik it was the other way around and the romulans got the cloaking tech from the klingons?

Post #: 50
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/12/2011 8:48:04 PM   
tjhkkr

No, I do not think so; unless there is something in one of the earlier dated TV shows Star Trek-wise. The Romulans had the cloaking device which is about the only thing that made the original Bird of Prey surviveable (No insult is intended IGARD). The Klingons never used a cloaking device in TOS. But then, the Romulans did not use a cloaking device in TAS.

And actually, it is all because of a change of script in Star Trek III, the Search for Spock. The original script had Romulans (and obviously a 'Bird of Prey') and somewhere during revisions it changed over to being Klingons. I am not sure why they changed over to Klingons, but that was what happened.
I cannot remember where I read this at... I think it was SciFi magazine... maybe. It was nearly 25 years ago, so... forgive me if the details of where I read it are lacking.

FYI: the original script was awful: I remember the article saying that Spock was running around the Genesis planet killing Romulan officers...

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 2/12/2011 8:51:45 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 51
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/12/2011 9:28:06 PM   
Igard

Tj is correct. Just to add to it. The Klingon-Romulan alliance was first mentioned in TOS episode 'The Enterprise Incident'. 3 Romulan ships approached the Enterprise, but they were flying Klingon D-7 Battlecruisers. If memory serves, this was because of a problem with the Romulan BoP which was only seen in the episode 'Balance of Terror'. And yes, the BoP relied heavily on its cloaking device. Once the Enterprise got of a few 'lucky' shots , they were all but beaten.

NK, the only ship in this set that uses the tech from the old klingon alliance is the resupply ship. The rest of them were either designed by Taldren, the company that developed the Starfleet Command series, or some were designed by FASA, the company that made SFB. I believe the Romulan capital ship is a fan creation, it's rather similar to the D'deridex Warbird.

I might just edit this set to make the green and grey ships, green and brown like the others.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 52
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/12/2011 10:22:06 PM   
Data

wow, you guys are walking ST wikipedias....and I thought I was a trekie

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 53
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/13/2011 12:27:18 AM   
tjhkkr

To give the old BoP its fair due, Igard said The BoP relied heavily on its cloaking device. Once the Enterprise got off a few 'lucky' shots , they were all but beaten. (1) They were lucky shots because they could not be seen, and Sulu makes the comment 'hoping to blanket them before they got a shot off on [Enterprise].' (2) They had limited shields, so it survived the pounding due the solid construction.
I would take the old Bird of Prey against a Star Destroyer were these galaxies ever to meet... but then as I said, Stormtroopers have the brains and tactical expertese of Tribbles

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 54
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/13/2011 12:34:54 AM   
tjhkkr

Oh... and Igard...

The NEW TOS version has 2 Klingon ships and an old Bird of Prey

And Data, the only reason I know all this garbage is the board games Igard speaks of... I played all of them. And he missed one: the Amarillo Design Bureau created a couple of ships in his list.
Those were fun games. I was thinking about hauling them out when Distant Worlds came out.
But the pain was there... an old BoP could move one hex per turn whereby Enterprise could move many times faster, and it took 5 pulses out of 32 (per turn) to deactivate the cloaking device which meant Enterprise could pound you into oblivion before you could get off a shot. I do not usually change game rules, but than one I shortened to 3 pulses... (still got pounded on occasion).

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 55
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/13/2011 2:58:05 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Oh... and Igard...

The NEW TOS version has 2 Klingon ships and an old Bird of Prey

Yes, I saw that on youtube! What a fantastic job they did with the remasters.

Tj knows alot more than I do about the board games, since I never played them. I've never heard of that Amarillo Design Bureau. Thank goodness for all those companies out there that made these ships so now we can enjoy them with our favourite 4x space game.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 56
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/13/2011 7:09:53 AM   
Data

cliffhangers all over the place here
please give us some links to these games and youtube videos

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 57
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/13/2011 8:12:00 AM   
Igard

Here's the link to the youtube vid I was referring to Data :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_YNDmRM0Q

As for the board games, just look around for Starfleet Battles or ask tj.

Starfleet Command games by Taldren, well as a trekkie, you should have played them already, shame on you if you haven't.

SFC : Orion Pirates was the best of the series, though SFC : III had some nice features too, but lacked the number of tactical options.

I've been working on modding SFC : Orion Pirates too. All the ship images you see me make are taken from the various mods for it.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 58
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/13/2011 9:46:58 PM   
tjhkkr

Here is the boardgame Starfleet Battles: http://www.starfleetgames.com/ It is an older game, but it works very well and it is easy to add your own rules to it... although the rules book would make Advanced Squad Leader seem simple.

FASA does not exist any longer. The guys thought that board games would die, so they got out of the business.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_role-playing_game_(FASA)

Many of the cool looking ships you see came from FASA

This is actually the first Space Game I have played on a machine other than LA "Rebellion". I always thought it would take a lot to make a game better than LA's Rebellion. But CodeForce has put together a first string game... it is fantastic. Generally, I have loved the boardgames... but as I say, this is a fine piece of work, and if you have never programmed, you have no idea the level of work and coding and design effort that had to go into this...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 59
RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 - 2/14/2011 7:10:11 AM   
Data

yupiii, thank you tj and igard

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL] Spock Era - Star Trek v1.0 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI