Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

are LCMs indestructable?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> are LCMs indestructable? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
are LCMs indestructable? - 12/19/2000 12:50:00 PM   
heintz28

I just had the chance to invade N. Africa with some great U.S. troops... one thing I noticed is that the LCMs they came ashore on seemed indestructable. They took a pounding with dozens of 47mm but they took no damage(they where hit and armor was penetrated). One even took a hit from a 75mm shell and shrugged it off. Has anybody eles notice this(bug/feature)? thanks

Post #: 1
- 12/19/2000 1:13:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Oh yeah. They take a licking and keep on ticking. I seem to recall this subject before and I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) much disscusion was had. Don't recall any conclusions though, if any. I think Paul and WB even joined in. This has been a feature of the SP series. I can't think of any that allowed the easy sinking of any landing craft, let alone the ones you mention. One topic mentioned that the shells killed men inside, but the landing craft stayed afloat. It would be great if the game modeled this. ------------------ Your mine is a terrible thing to lose. Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to heintz28)
Post #: 2
- 12/19/2000 1:41:00 PM   
Captn_Jack

I have seen one or two go down with all on board during this same invasion. Must just be my rotten luck... CJ

M(1)&M(9)'s...they melt in your tank...not in your hand!

(in reply to heintz28)
Post #: 3
- 12/19/2000 2:02:00 PM   
Wild Bill

It happens, but it is rare. I don't defend this, but in perspective, if you have a dozen landing craft and you lose three of them, you are pretty well...messed up. The limited size of the scenario means that in most cases you will lose one or two which should be generally in proportion to the larger picture. Of course, there are notable exceptions, Tarawa and Omaha quickly come to mind. And it generally takes a big gun. A 47mm gun will not do well against an LCM. On the other hand........ DD tanks are almost too vulnerable and in my mind (as I am sure in yours) you would think a tank armor might protect it more. Still a DD tank has more vulnerable armor at the top and most hits would logically seem to land there. Either way, it probably could use a little more fine tuning. Too little or too much. In scenarios on the level of SPWAW that is a delicate balance. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to heintz28)
Post #: 4
- 12/19/2000 2:20:00 PM   
Igor

The amphibious tanks have a unique problem; they are afloat by the grace of a rather fragile, easy to breach floatation system. The most trivial hit, although it won't breach the tank hull, will nonetheless sink the poor blighter...

(in reply to heintz28)
Post #: 5
- 12/19/2000 8:43:00 PM   
panda124c

I believe that part the problem with the LCVP/LCM's invurnablility is that they are treated as armored targets so only AP rounds are fired at them. The other side of the coin is that if an LCVP/LCM is killed then you lose all of your men in them this can be over two squads in an LCM. So makeing them softer leads to overkill. The surviablility of the this craft lead to a non-historical use, as a waterborn mobile machine gun nest (2-.50cal).

(in reply to heintz28)
Post #: 6
- 12/19/2000 11:35:00 PM   
Pack Rat

I have wondered if the negitive value to the height had anything to do with it. For example, if you have a unit in a stream it seems like it is harder to get a hit. I believe that the height for deep water is a -2? ------------------ Your mine is a terrible thing to lose. Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to heintz28)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> are LCMs indestructable? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI