Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is the manual available to download for evaluation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Is the manual available to download for evaluation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is the manual available to download for evaluation? - 9/11/2002 1:54:11 PM   
AndrewN

I asked this in another thread, but the thread subject didn't really lend itself to ask the question, so I'm asking it again...

Is it possible, or can it be made possible, to download a copy of the manual to help my decision as I evaluate purchasing UV? (I'm presuming the manual isn't a copyrighted secret)
Post #: 1
- 9/11/2002 10:54:04 PM   
WW2'er

Sorry, Andrew.

Matrix has stated that they will not make the manual available for a download direct from them. You will have to purchase the game or many have pleaded on these boards to have someone send them a zipped copy via email. Your best bet would be to try that route.

I would strongly recommend purchasing the game though. It's a great and addicting game if you enjoy wargames or have an interest in WWII or the South Pacific Theatre!

The manual just can't reflect the fun, and sheer pleasure this game can be.

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 2
- 9/11/2002 11:11:51 PM   
Mojo

Matrix asked that we refrain from emailing the manual around.

I don't recall the reason they gave but I'll respect their request.

I'd recommend the game. It's amazing and for the amount of time I've spent playing it well worth the price.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 3
- 9/11/2002 11:24:27 PM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]Matrix asked that we refrain from emailing the manual around.

I don't recall the reason they gave but I'll respect their request.

I'd recommend the game. It's amazing and for the amount of time I've spent playing it well worth the price. [/B][/QUOTE]

I must have missed this request. I have offered to zip and send a copy to Andrew, and I don't see any harm in it. I am trying to encourage a potential customer to purchase this game and not for entirely altruistic reasons.

I have a strong interest in Matrix/2by3 being successful, because I want them to keep producing games that I find to be satisfying and entertaining to play.

Yoo-Hoo! Mr. Moderator! If you don't want me to do this, tell me so, okay? I respect Matrix/2by3 enough that I will comply with their wishes - even if it may cost them a sale ...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 4
- 9/12/2002 12:09:30 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pasternakski
[B]

I must have missed this request. I have offered to zip and send a copy to Andrew, and I don't see any harm in it. I am trying to encourage a potential customer to purchase this game and not for entirely altruistic reasons.

I have a strong interest in Matrix/2by3 being successful, because I want them to keep producing games that I find to be satisfying and entertaining to play.

Yoo-Hoo! Mr. Moderator! If you don't want me to do this, tell me so, okay? I respect Matrix/2by3 enough that I will comply with their wishes - even if it may cost them a sale ... [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this.

I do remember when the game first came out people who were tracking their copies moving by UPS boat were begging for people who had opted for overnight delivery to email them the manual so they would be ready to play the instant they got the game.

Somebody (David or Ross maybe) asked that we not do this. Now I don't know if this was on the advice of their legal folks, once you condone violating copyright you're on a slippery slope I bet, or for some other reason I don't know.

Ever since then I have hardened my heart to the pleas of people considering buying the game who want a copy of the manual;)

Personally I don't see the harm but out of respect to Matrix and the support they give us if they don't want me to email the manual I won't.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 5
- 9/12/2002 2:18:12 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]

Somebody (David or Ross maybe) asked that we not do this. Now I don't know if this was on the advice of their legal folks, once you condone violating copyright you're on a slippery slope I bet, or for some other reason I don't know.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, whatever. I will do what Matrix/2by3 want on this.

If their legal eagles advised them that buyers of the game e-mailing the manual to people who have not bought it is a violation of copyright, they have gotten good advice ... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

Hire some reputable intellectual property lawyers to advise you, if the ones you have now don't understand the legal doctrines involved better than this.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 6
- 9/12/2002 3:48:02 AM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

Its prolly because ppl download the game VIA IRC or something and can't figure out how to play. First time I saw a guy request manual I assumed he was running a pirated version.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 7
- 9/12/2002 3:56:46 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UndercoverNotChickenSalad
[B]Its prolly because ppl download the game VIA IRC or something and can't figure out how to play. First time I saw a guy request manual I assumed he was running a pirated version. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now, that makes sense. Naive little b**** that I am, I assume that everyone's motives are pure.

BTW, I just saw the first copy of UV for sale on eBay this morning. It has several days to run, but the top bid so far is fifteen bucks. The seller says it contains the "CD, box, and manual."

Hmm...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 8
- 9/12/2002 4:25:26 AM   
AndrewN

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UndercoverNotChickenSalad
[B]Its prolly because ppl download the game VIA IRC or something and can't figure out how to play. First time I saw a guy request manual I assumed he was running a pirated version. [/B][/QUOTE]

I can understand this at least to some extent, but if people were pirating UV, why wouldn't they pirate a copy of the manual at the same time? ie. wouldn't the game and manual come together? Or if someone was copying the CD, the manual would be included anyway. I am strongly against piracy of all forms, but I just can't see how making the manual available is aiding piracy in any way.

So in that light, I can't see what would be stopping Matrix from releasing the manual... ie. make the manual non-copyright. The lack of a demo is rather frustrating... I can live with that, but it would seem to me that the next best thing would be to at least let folks evaluate the documentation to see if it's likely to be the sort of game they're interested in before shelling out US$50.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 9
- 9/12/2002 4:39:50 AM   
IanLister

Andrew,

Trust me and a lot of other experienced computer wargamers, ex-board wargamers and ex-miniatures gamers........BUY THIS GAME. It is worth every penny, sets new standards and is totally addictive. Are you married? Do you have kids? Do you have a job? Do you want to keep them? Maybe these are reasons to think twice, but the game is definitely not a reason to hesitate. Buy it.

Battleaxe Rules!

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 10
- 9/12/2002 4:51:28 AM   
swass

I just purchased the game last week and havent really had much of a chance to really sit down and play it until last night. Let me first say that I have been waiting for a game like this my whole life. I am glad to say that I am instantly hooked and cant wait to get home from work and play it again!

Just like you I kind of went into it blindly and could only really see screenshots, etc, of the game, but not any real in-depth review of how it works. I figured that I have blown $50 on alot of junk, so why not? Now that I have it, I am undenyably overwhelmed at all the game has to offer. I'm hoping that this game will expand into a full Pacific Theater game.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 11
- 9/12/2002 5:39:14 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by swass
[B]I just purchased the game last week and havent really had much of a chance to really sit down and play it until last night. Let me first say that I have been waiting for a game like this my whole life. I am glad to say that I am instantly hooked and cant wait to get home from work and play it again!

Just like you I kind of went into it blindly and could only really see screenshots, etc, of the game, but not any real in-depth review of how it works. I figured that I have blown $50 on alot of junk, so why not? Now that I have it, I am undenyably overwhelmed at all the game has to offer. I'm hoping that this game will expand into a full Pacific Theater game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ask and ye shall receive. War in the Pacific, which expands the UV engine to cover the entire conflict, is due out on March 1, 2003. Check out the Matrix Website and the WITP forum here for more details and discussion.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 12
BUY THIS GAME - 9/13/2002 7:03:29 PM   
ATENTOKO

HELLO FRIENDS,

YES ANDREW IT´S A VERY GOOD GAME. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSA. ONE OF THE BEST COMPUTER GAMES I´VE GAMED.

FROM SPAIN WITH SUN

(in reply to AndrewN)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Is the manual available to download for evaluation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI