Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's with these freakin' Black Holes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> What's with these freakin' Black Holes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/9/2011 2:30:44 PM   
Bandersnatch

In a previous game I had no trouble getting a constructor to build a research base near a black hole. In fact, one black hole had at least a half dozen bases depicted by the color of the empire all nicely spaced equidistantly from the center. In this game the constructor goes to the hole and blows up. But that’s not all, some of the constructors do weird things. One constructor got the order, started for the hole, got near, and headed in a different direction. I repeated the order, the constructor paused a moment, as if thinking about it, and continued away. Another constructor passed several times back and forth over the hole, and then blew up as it started to leave. Also in this game I have not seen any other empire’s bases around any black hole, so I’ve given up on black holes for now. I did get one up around a super nova with no problem. Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/9/2011 3:44:40 PM   
Data

several

1) was the constructor properly fueled? if not, it will refuel first even after arrivig at the bh

2) did the constructor had the required resources to build the station? it will first get them and then build the station

3) a bh has an area of effect which can be seen if you zoom out some more, you'll get that bonus wherever you build in that area....it doesn't have to be right near to the event horizon

4) the best option is to give the order via right click on the zoomed out map so that the constructor will automatically choose a safe spot inside the area of effect

hope this helps

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bandersnatch)
Post #: 2
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/9/2011 6:48:27 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

4) the best option is to give the order via right click on the zoomed out map so that the constructor will automatically choose a safe spot inside the area of effect

Does that work? I'm sure I tried it before, and all my constructor ships went lemming into the black hole. Is it a recent change?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/9/2011 7:13:03 PM   
Data

no, this was the recomended way from the get go

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 4
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/10/2011 9:44:27 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

Does that work? I'm sure I tried it before, and all my constructor ships went lemming into the black hole. Is it a recent change?

I tried this once, and my constructor went too close to the black hole. My usual method is:

• select constructor that should build the base.
  • zoom out, navigate to the black hole, select the black hole.
  • find a zoom level (system or somewhat zoomed in from that) that shows the whole pink circle around the black hole and then some more space.
  • pick out some background star that is a 'safe distance' away from the pink circle. I do not know what the minium 'safe distance' is, but a third of the radius of the pink circle should be ample.
  • use the back button above the selection pane to select the constructor.
  • issue the build order via right click manu at about the position I picked above.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 2/10/2011 9:46:18 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 5
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/10/2011 10:42:46 AM   
Data

yes, this is the safest way to do it....the problem with even the big map select is that you can't actually know the point at which the ship exits warp (so to speak) as it always exits some distance away from where you issued the order
same goes for attack orders, a fleet may begin an attack quite dispersed at times

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 6
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/10/2011 3:02:50 PM   
Bandersnatch

In the past I've always done it the straightforward way: select a constructor (one that isn't busy) right click on a black hole. A menu comes up with a list of options. I click on the research station I want, and the constructor goes and builds it. In my current game, it does not work. I think it depends on the game itself, primarily because there are some twenty odd empires, and not one has a station around a black hole. The comments are much appreciated. Thanks!  

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/11/2011 5:32:24 AM   
feygan

IF you find clicking on the big map doesn't work there is another way. Zoom to the system and click somewhere near the edge of the swirling gas of the black hole to build your station etc. Normally this still results in the constructor being pulled in so keep an eye on it, when it starts to fall inwards just right click and select stop. This causes the ship to cancel its build order and it auto moves to a safe distance and halts, this is the actual edge of the black hole so if your either east/west of the hole then just click to build a tiny bit north/south of the stopped ship. For north/south of the hole just click east/west.

So far this method means all my stations are far enough away to not get sucked in yet close enough to get the bonus benefits.

(in reply to Bandersnatch)
Post #: 8
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/11/2011 6:26:09 AM   
Data

you'd need some powerfull engines for this, what's the sprint like on your constructors feygan?

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 9
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/11/2011 4:41:53 PM   
feygan

quote:

you'd need some powerfull engines for this, what's the sprint like on your constructors feygan?

Works for all engines, its a game bug I guess, for some reason if my ship is already falling then it will very very slowly try to get out it I target a point and say move here. But if you issue the stop command then it moves at its normal cruise speed to a safe spot regardless of how far into the hole it is.

Now yes I realise this is exploiting a bug of game mechanics, however I am only doing this to get around the first game bug being that none of my ship captains can plot a basic route to not get their collective asses eaten by one of the universes most dangerous objects.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 10
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/11/2011 6:26:49 PM   
Data

Indeed, good counter exploit feygan...I commend you for figthing against the stupidity of those captains and navigation officers.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 11
RE: What's with these freakin' Black Holes? - 2/13/2011 7:54:02 PM   
Apheirox

Like Data explained you can actually build the research station quite far away from the hole and it will still yield the bonus. At a certain zoom level you can see a sort of 'ring' around the black hole. This is the area of effect radius where you get the bonus.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> What's with these freakin' Black Holes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI