Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Favorites

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Favorites Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorites - 2/13/2011 9:44:07 PM   
RaffleSnaffle

Just curious of how people like to play :)
I'll start by answering my own questions.
Answer what and why... please really interested in what you all have to say!

Favorite Galaxy type?
Varied clusters. Action is more intense and focused. Also, the island-ness of this type is fun and conquering a whole cluster is a good feeling.

Favorite Race?
Either the Teekan or the Atuuk. Less Atuuk now and more Teekan. The eco bonus with mercantile guilds is awesome.

Favorite Scenario?
Conflict!... Duh

Least favorite race? Or should I say a race you can't stand and always seem to war with?
Defiantly the Dayhut. I hate spiders...

Favorite Shiptype to spam?
Frigate! Fast and cheap.

Favorite size of galaxy to play in?
700 stars. Not too big, not too small. Juuuust right.

Feel free to add any favorites of yours to this list if it pops into your head. I don't mind rambling, I do it all the time anyways.
Here's hoping I get some replies! Thanks for reading!!

-RaffleSnaffle
Post #: 1
RE: Favorites - 2/14/2011 7:07:01 AM   
Data

Favorite Galaxy type?
Varied clusters. Same reasons as yours

Favorite Race?
Gizurean - highest pop growth

Favorite Scenario?
Conflict mainly

Least favorite race? Or should I say a race you can't stand and always seem to war with?
none atm

Capitol ships - battleship nostalgia

1400+. More room for exploration please

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to RaffleSnaffle)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorites - 2/14/2011 7:56:50 AM   
Bingeling

Favorite Galaxy type?
Probably varied clusters, I like distances.

Favorite Race?
Pass, I have not played enough to know. I think I would say "the next one". Favourites would be if they are really different.

Favorite Scenario?
I have not played a lot, but I liked ring race. Also being in the wild frontiers of the galactic republic is not so bad, unless the galactic republic is a stable securan juggernaut.

None yet. One would end up warring more with the aggressive races unless one is aggressive oneself, of course.

The big ones. Capital ships for combat duty, cruisers for local protection fleets. Until I get 800 size I have no capitals, and I tend to have a lot of the biggest available.

I am unsure of this one. Probably larger if that meant that the galaxy is also larger. But given that the galaxy is the same size (I think), I tend to want fewer stars.

Post #: 3
RE: Favorites - 3/13/2011 11:22:08 PM   
Data

no more input here?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorites - 3/14/2011 7:19:04 AM   
Mofouler

I'd have to say
Favorite Type would be Varied for all the reasons above. It feels great forming a "beach head" in a empires cluster and taking their planets 1 by 1.

Favorite Race: So far the Humans I always seem to be helping the weaker humanoid empires as they always seem to be bullied by insectoid ones.

Favorite ship type: Have to say Destroyers....its nice to have fighters as they make up for the lack of speed.

Favorite gal type: I've only played on 700 but I can play on 1400 as I'm planning on playing on that next.

Most Memorable battle: I was at war with the boskarans and the Naxillians. Luckily they were at war with each other as began picking away at each others territory. Me being lazy I kind of ignored them. Then I get multiple messages that both empires have 2 14-18 ship fleets coming at me with atleast 20 troops each. So my closest fleet had about 7 ships with 2 being cruisers, 2 being battleships and the rest destroyers. They both were attacking the same galaxy so I scrambled all ships to the area. So the Bosk fleets gets there first and I let them take over the planet. The the Nax come in and fight the bosk and take over the planet. They basically decimate each other landing troops and ships allowing me to come in and kill off both fleets and leave them running with their tails in between there legs. Good day indeed.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorites - 3/14/2011 10:01:04 PM   
J HG T

Favorite Galaxy type?
Hard to say. Maybe varied clusters or ring. Varied clusters can make very interesting games with all empires randomly placed.

Favorite Race?
Kiadians. High-tech SciFi stuff is my speed. Other favourites are Teekans, Quanemo and Zenox. 

Favorite Scenario?
Big war involving many powerful empires and you are destined to be drawn into it, just need to choose side. Also, being neutral and watching some odd Slukens or Haakonish kiss some serious ass to get you join their cause is extremely entertaining. Funniest was the Teekan-Sluken alliance in one of my game.

Haakonish (wannabe jerks), Dhayuuts (I don't hate Dhayuuts but they just get in my face in every game) and Boskaras (KILL IT WITH FIRE!)

Favorite Shiptype?
Custom built Helios MBSs (main battle ship) cruisers and Icarus heavy carrier cruisers. Backed up by Nexus capitals full of fleet support modules.

400 or 700 stars. Have been playing with 400 stars mostly.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Mofouler)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorites - 7/24/2011 4:29:45 PM   
Seath

Favorite Galaxy type?
My favorite type is elliptic because this looks to me like a real galaxy with the core and the outer rims. I prefer to start in the outer rim and build up there to conquer.

Favorite Race?
I really like to play as a Human Republic but second place are Haakonish.

Least favorite race?
Dhayuuts... i hate spiders and seconds place are Boskaras because they always want to war with me.

1400+ stars. I like it because i prefer long term games.

Viva los tioz! Helden Leben lang, Legenden sterben nie! Böhse Onkelz

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorites - 10/26/2011 5:47:20 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Favorite Galaxy type?

Even Clusters, for the same reason that everyone else likes Varied Clusters. I just like my clusters even. It almost always ends up with one big empire per cluster.

Favorite Race?

Ooh, tough one. Gizureans. They breed fast, they're loyal, they've got Hive Mind, and they've got a great ship maintenance discount. Good for playing a game where you want to have a lot of control over your territory. I don't usually play very warlike, but they're not bad for that either.

Favorite Scenario?
Not sure what you mean by this one. Favorite way to see the game play out? I like watching the story-lines unfold, so I play sandbox with story-lines on. Most of the time it always winds up super-duper-epic by the end, and it never plays out the same way twice. Not sure if there are many other games with this kind of replayability. Sometimes I'm peaceful, and leading a big trading alliance, and have to band everyone together to beat back the (SPOILER). Other times I'm warlike, and try to conquer the universe before the (SPOILER) arrive, which can be a lot of fun if you're too slow and get blindsided by them.

Boskarans, other Gizureans (for some reason), those god-damned (SPOILER-HOLES), and of course Humans. Gotta kill all humans.

Colony Ships!

400 Stars, usually. I like to finish my games in a night or two, and any bigger would probably be too much for my attention span.

(in reply to Seath)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorites - 10/29/2011 1:55:21 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

ORIGINAL: RaffleSnaffle

Just curious of how people like to play :)
I'll start by answering my own questions.
Answer what and why... please really interested in what you all have to say!

Favorite Galaxy type?
Varied clusters. Action is more intense and focused. Also, the island-ness of this type is fun and conquering a whole cluster is a good feeling.

Favorite Race?
Either the Teekan or the Atuuk. Less Atuuk now and more Teekan. The eco bonus with mercantile guilds is awesome.

Favorite Scenario?
Conflict!... Duh

Defiantly the Dayhut. I hate spiders...

Frigate! Fast and cheap.

700 stars. Not too big, not too small. Juuuust right.

Feel free to add any favorites of yours to this list if it pops into your head. I don't mind rambling, I do it all the time anyways.
Here's hoping I get some replies! Thanks for reading!!

-RaffleSnaffle

Galaxy type - whatever is the name of the one where stars are randomly placed.

Favorite race - Teekan or Securan, they can colonize any other race with a bit of patience.

Scenario? Not sure what you mean? I just play until nobody else can compete... Conquer everyone!

Least favorite race - definitely Ketarov as enemies, blasted spies!

Favorite ship type - size 1100 capital ships. One year to build each at rate 500 spaceports. Be sure to have PLENTY of carbon fibre, chromium, steel, and aculon! Be very sure to design your spaceports with enough yards to get your war fleets built. In the meantime take all seven supply depots - that gets you 28 yards and they DO get resupplied by independent freighters EVENTUALLY. Queue capital ships ahead a year or two since it might be a year until a freighter wanders in with your supplies.

Favorite galaxy size? 1400 system, takes only six years to put names on all the systems. Then explore only those which actually are potential colonization targets. Hint : put weapons on all of your explorers and use move to rather than explore. I built 65 in my current game, the least of which was the equivalent of a destroyer - missiles are best early in the game, fighter bays as your ship size increases to 500 or 650. I started building cruisers rather than fake explorers at size 800. The major advantage of an explorer is also its disadvantage - it has no military initiative.

Favorite tax rate 15%. Anything under 2 billion population is not worth taxing at all. Once a colony is population 12 billion or so, tax at 50% or whatever is practical on happiness 16 or better. Tax the aliens extra so they don't outgrow your native race.

Favorite sneakiness. After twice being outrun by AI colonizing where I told my colony ship to go, I figured out that somebody had deep cover spies on me. Maybe all of them... So now I tell them to colonize something worthless near where I really want to colonize. Once they actually colonized the worthless one, and I notice that explorers flock to systems where I park a ship... Hmmm...

Favorite fact of life. AI go to war with anybody who has a home world nearby. Trade sanctions are a preliminary to war...

2nd favorite fact of life. AI invade independents with insufficient troops, and seldom return if their invasion fails. So if a colony just begs to be taken over knowing that, make plans accordingly.

3rd favorite fact of life. Pirates set up bases near independents where nobody is defending the colony. So park a good pirate base killer in a system near each independent and periodiclly click around to see if there is a new pirate base to destroy. At normal setting there are 20 gangs at all times. Each time you destroy a base, you have a chance of getting a pirate faction to join you, or give the coordinates of a ship or other interesting stuff. If you destroy enough pirate bases, you won't need to build very many gas mines, because the pirate bases will support the whole galaxy. In my current game 22 factions have joined me at year 6.5

Least favorite resource - Helium! Who the heck needs Helium? It just clogs up cargo bays.Nobody wants the stuff.

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Post #: 9
RE: Favorites - 10/29/2011 2:08:55 PM   
WoodMan

Favourite Galaxy Type?
Spiral, I'm an RP'er at heart so it suits me best.

Favourite Race?
Humans and Teekans, looking forward to playing others in Legends though.

Favourite Scenario?
Um... what's a scenario?

Least Favourite Race?
Securan for sure, act like your best buddy until they get jealous when your Empires overlap, then its a big fight.

Favourite Ship Type to Spam?
Home made Destroyers and reclaimed Capital Ships make up the majority of my assault fleets.

Favourite Galaxy Size?
As big as possible!!!

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorites - 10/29/2011 5:48:47 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

Jeeves, I am humbled by the detail in your post. There's a lot of stuff I didn't know in there!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorites - 10/29/2011 6:21:50 PM   
Nedrear

Favourite Galaxy Type?

Like the Woodman, I prefer a realistic galaxy. Sadly the small sized milky way where the two spirals are nearly a line is not existant.

Favourite Race?

Personally altered humans. Of course in a roleplay sense. No more bonuses as intended (30% in total).

Favourite Scenario?

Did not see one in the Vanilla DW.

Least Favourite Race?

Didn't find a big animosity yet.

Favourite Ship Type to Spam?

War frigates! I define ship types by their balance of shields, weapons and speed. A war frigate uses the highest build up of ship size while maintaining the same amount of shields and weapons with good speed. In a fleet a killer!

Favourite Galaxy Size?

Make it big, sire!

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 12
RE: Favorites - 11/3/2011 4:51:02 PM   
Keston

I have not played enough different games to have strong preferences - indeed there is a wealth of options so I am interested in what makes the best semi-epic but manageable game.

The spiral with rim seemed to offer balance, but the point about the feel of clusters is also interesting, more space-opera, and there are more natural frontiers.

Scenarios/starts: Are there bad choices? The last 2 times I just let the game pick for me. (This last one I'm the despicable Dayhut - realized they were insectoid, but did not look closely enough to recognize them as spiders until reading this.) Spinning webs. No wonder the Guardians are touchy.

Races: I'd like to avoid playing the ones that are too easy to do well with, but one with a background that suggests some clear role-play strategy. Sounds like I would not like having Ketarov in range either.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Favorites Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI