Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht var sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 5:50:35 PM   
Cribtop

The day is approaching when Sumatra converts from defensive bastion to fully secured offensive dagger in Japan's MLR. What are your plans for offensive action in the DEI, if any?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1591
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 6:00:44 PM   
Canoerebel

Cribtop, you're right.  If that day comes - the day when the Allied position in Sumatra converts from defensive to offensive - the war is over.

It's too early to know exactly what the situation will be if and when that happens.  Will Japan have a strong cordon of airfields heavily garrisoned?  Or will their be holes in the defenses?  That will dictate how the Allies might evaluate offensive moves.

Certainly, the Allies will build up airfields and employ 4EB against the major IJ bases at Singapore, Batavia, Semereng, Soerabaja, Balikpan, Kuching, etc.  That is not a good thing for Japan.

When the war started, I hypothesized that Japan had roughly nine months (January through September '42) to run amock.  That is, Japan basically could go where it wanted when it wanted.  After that, the Allies begin to have enough assets to contest Japan in carefully selected areas and circumstances.  I think the Allies begin to transition from a defensive position in Sumatra to a stasis situation in September and perhaps October, and from there to offensive possibilities.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1592
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 6:41:03 PM   
zuluhour

2 cents from the peanut gallery: You have a very easy to follow AAR, it appears you have played a proactive game and Chez has been in a corner for some time. He said so as much in the thread relating to f-ups, (your thread I believe). I have never visited his AAR; would it be wrong to drop in on his, leave here and try and promote calculated aggression or SOMETHING? I've been in the shadows here for a long time, learning and appreciating all the well articulated commentary trying get some absorbtion (pardon the spelling) into my thick Yankee skull and I would hate to see this just evolve into you pounding him to dust and invade, pound to dust, invade etc. Not to provide technical advice, I have none worthy, nor disposition info, nor right or wrong areas etc for said aggression, just support for what ever hes doing? Probably something like Nemo mentioned many pages ago, step back and get a handle re-prioritize, and get get back in the fight. (in laymans terms )? or would this be taboo?

really just cheerlead

Forget it. I will not. I just want a BIG BATTLE!! If I had any patience I would have been a doctor.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 9/16/2011 6:46:26 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1593
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 6:58:16 PM   
Canoerebel

Without a doubt, a big battle or a series of battles will occur sooner or later.

Steve is in the driver's seat in the DEI for now.  That battle will happen whenever he elects.  Eventually, the Allies will be able to swing over to the offensive in this region, but that probably won't happen until late '42.  However, the Allies are currently gathering a force for a counterinvasion somewhere in the DEI timed to coincide with any IJ move on Sumatra.  Possible targets:  Sibolga, Sabang, Georgetown, Victoria Point.

The Allied move to reinforce and resupply the bases in the Kuriles could/should prompt some fireworks up there.

At present, I don't see any pending major Allied moves in the Pacific unless Steve pulls his carriers out.  If that happens, the Allies might invade Miri or move SW to occupy and build up the Santa Cruz Islands (in fact, the latter is pretty high on my list of objectives; doing that will really throw a kink into Steve's long (Long!) LOC to Fiji and Savaii Island.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1594
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 7:22:48 PM   
zuluhour

I will remain faithfully attached here. I guess several early whoopins took some teeth out of the tiger. You have provided such a clear picture of the battlefield; I have found following here quite entertaining.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1595
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 7:34:47 PM   
Cribtop

Canoe, FWIW, I think you have the timing of offensive action in the DEI about right - late year is the correct season.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1596
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 10:07:24 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi CR,

Sorry for the hijack. You mentioned in Greyjoy's AAR that is was possible to transfer restricted American LCU's to Capetown via Balboa or Eastern USA. I've been trying to do it, but can't find the transfer button you had mentioned. I'm looking at the unit screen and can't find anything relating to "transfer", am I looking in the wrong screen, or just not seeing it? Do I need to put the unit in strat mode? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1597
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/16/2011 10:49:57 PM   
Canoerebel

The unit doesn't have to be in strategic mode.  Click on the unit.  Then click the "Set Transfer To" button at the top right side of the unit box.  When the menu of destinations comes up, you can choose from various off map bases.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 1598
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/17/2011 4:38:02 PM   
Nemo121

Crib,

I think about two months ago would have been the correct time. As it is he could transition right now and be successful but he's being cautious ( IMO too cautious --- bur he's still learning to judge the proper time to transition so this must be viewed as part of a learning process ). It doesn't matter though, this thing was decided way back in February, now we're just seeing the inevitable being worked out.

Aggression now though could accelerate the IJN losses and continue drawing them into the DEI region - as opposed to giving them the leeway to continue surviving in out of the way regions.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1599
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/17/2011 5:05:53 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The unit doesn't have to be in strategic mode.  Click on the unit.  Then click the "Set Transfer To" button at the top right side of the unit box.  When the menu of destinations comes up, you can choose from various off map bases.

It does look like the unit has to be on the East Coast first. At least in the Vanilla not beta patched version. I just tested it .. just did a set destination to: cape town .. and it did it ..but from SF said invaild location ..

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1600
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/18/2011 9:39:54 PM   
Canoerebel

7/15/42 and 7/16/42

NoPac:  Wasp TF will reach Kodiak Island to refuel in three or four days.  The Allies paid some precious PP to buy some West Coast fighter squadrons that will base forward to Attu Island.  They will go to Paramushiro when the supply transports go in.  The main effort to resupply and reinforce should take place in about 20 days.

CenPac:  IJN carriers present at Majuro.  BB Arizona completed repairs at Alameda and is now heading for Christmas Island.

SoPac:  The Allies aren't having any success in bombing Savaii.  The B-17s aren't performing very well.

DEI:  IJN cruiser/DD TF came into Oosthaven, tangling with the stronger CA Salt Lake City and CA Chester TF.  The Japanese lost a DD with CL Abukuma afire.  The Allied ships didn't take any damage and will remain in place to watch over a transport TF that will unload a Marine tank unit beginning tomorrow.  No signs of imminent enemy moves here.

Comment:  The Allies have been pretty aggressive in the game to date.  Each act of aggression has been to serve one of three purposes:  (1) throw Japan off stride early in the game; (2) major invasion that would force Japan to divide forces, thus hampering Japan's ability to concentrate on Sumatra; and (3) major invasion meant to gain the Allies some territory just in case Sumatra falls and the Allies have to pick up the pieces - ie, I don't want to have to start from scratch.  Here's the major undertakings, which I think are pretty aggressive for a game that's just in July '42:

A)  Series of early naval engagements including surface combat raids and carrier ambushes.  These were quite successful and were primarily intended to serve objective one (throw Japan off stride).

B)  Invasion of the Kuriles:  March 1942 - objective two.

C)  Reinvasion of Western Sumatra:  Spring '42 - objective one.

D)  Raising the stakes at Pago Pago - objective one.

E)  Invasion of Thailand (Tavoy, Moulmein) - objective two.

F)  Invasions of Tarawa, Marcus, Ocean, Nauru and Baker - objective three.

Now we're about to embark on the resupply and reinforcing of Paramushiro.  With autumn approaching it is possible that the Allies may be able to hold this base.  Japan can't invade during the winter months, so Steve will have to act quickly.  This operation should force Steve to refocus some assets in the Kuriles.  If he fails to do so, the Allies will be able to make the lodgement at Paramushiro very, very hard to recapture.

That said, I see where Nemo is coming from. I have been concerened that Steve can still pull things together, but it possible that the Allies might have taken stronger, more focused offensive action that would have addressed this concern - instead of multiple (and effective in their own way) nibblings that are really hurting and distracting Steve, but not finishing him off.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/18/2011 9:43:07 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1601
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/18/2011 11:14:48 PM   
crsutton

Canoe,

Would you review major ship losses for you and your opponent to this date?

Thanks.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1602
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/19/2011 12:40:51 PM   
obvert

quote:

I think about two months ago would have been the correct time. As it is he could transition right now and be successful but he's being cautious ( IMO too cautious --- bur he's still learning to judge the proper time to transition so this must be viewed as part of a learning process ). It doesn't matter though, this thing was decided way back in February, now we're just seeing the inevitable being worked out.

Nemo

I think speaking about styles of play in language that presumes ultimate 'correctness' is unfortunate.

Each player has their own pace, style, interest, and focus while playing the game. The game takes on it's own 'feeling' for the two playing the game, and although CR does admirably relate most of that feeling to the readers of this AAR, we have no idea about the real intricacy of the strategic and psychological game between the two players creating it.

There are many ways to play a Sicilian (A defense against 1.E4 for the black player in chess). Fisher played it aggresively, while Karpov more often chose to play it quietly, positionally. Neither was better than the other, and both achieved successful results.

CR seems somewhere between the two. Stabbing aggressively during short periods of the game, then sitting back and solidifying positions to guarantee the stranglehold will only tighten. This kind of play is often stronger and much more frustrating to the opponent than continued risky aggression, which can open opportunities for counter-attacks, but in the end is quietly beautiful.

To presume one way is not as useful as the other, and that the player is still 'learning,' (with the assumption that once they 'learn' they will be more aggressive and quick to act in a continuous stream of campaigns), is to miss a different kind of lesson. Sometimes a lack of action forces the opponent to risk more to gain back what was lost, and push their own assets past the point of safety. I believe we're seeing this now from Chez in the DEI and in the South Pacific.

I also disagree completely that this game was decided in February. I'm sure if Nemo took over the Japanese side at that point he might have a different opinion of the possible outcomes of the contest.

< Message edited by obvert -- 9/19/2011 1:23:43 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1603
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/19/2011 2:44:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Per crsutton's request, a list of capital ships sunk (including note of date of battle in case damage wasn't fatal - to judge how long ship would need yard work):

Japanese Capital Ships Sunk

A.  Carriers
    1.  CVL Ryujo
    2.  CVL Zuiho
    3.  CVL Shoho
    4.  CVE Taiyo (crippled or sunk near Calayan 5/7/42)

B.  Battleships
    1.  Fuso (crippled or sunk near Oosthaven 7/7/42)
    2.  Haruna
    3.  Ise
    4.  Mutsu

C.  Heavy Cruisers
    1.  Mogami (crippled or sunk near Oosthaven 7/7/42)
    2.  Suzuya (crippled or sunk near Oosthaven 7/7/42)
    3.  Mikuma (crippled or sunk near Oosthaven 7/7/42)
    4.  Myoko
    5.  Chokai
    6.  Kako (heavily damaged, possibly sunk near Port Blair 4/5/42)

Allied Capital Ships Sunk

A.  Carriers - None

B.  Battleships
    1.  California - Pearl Harbor
    2.  Nevada - Pearl Harbor
    3.  West Virginia - just after Pearl Harbor (as I tried to move her)
    4.  Oklahoma - on way from Pearl to West Coast
    5.  New Mexico - 6/28/42 just after First Battle of Oosthaven
    6.  Mississippi - 7/7/42 Second Battle of Oosthaven
    7.  Prince of Wales - 7/7/42 Second Battle of Oosthaven
    8.  Resolution - 7/7/42 Second Battle of Oosthaven

C.  Heavy Cruisers

1.  Australia
    2.  Minneapolis
    3.  Louisville
    4.  Northhamptom
    5.  Astoria
    6.  Exeter

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1604
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 12:04:08 AM   
Nemo121

Obvert,

Judging the culmination point isn't a matter of style. Its a matter of judgement. What you do about it is a question of style.

What I said was "I think about two months ago would have been the correct time ( to transition to the offense )." I've highlighted the crucial component, "I think".

It is my assessment that the culmination point had obviously occured by the beginning of May. I believe I even said so at pretty much that time. You are, of course, free to disagree with that assessment. I, personally, think the facts support my assessment. You are free to draw a different conclusion.

Given my assessment that the culmination point had clearly occurred by then I think ( opinion ) that transitioning to the offensive then would have been a superior choice. Again, given my assessment that's my opinion.

I, personally, don't see anything there that presumes ultimate correctness. With that said if my assessment is right then I do hold that the time to strike for maximum effect was back then. Why? Simple, at a point in time where the fact that the offensive has culminated is clear to the defender but not yet fully clear to the attacker the attacker's mind exists in a state of dysequilibrium in which their Orientation to the battlefield ( within the OODA cycle ) is incorrect. As such a small push can topple them since they are already unbalanced. In OODA terms transitioning before they've mentally transitioned to a defensive mindset can result in a high-tempo cascading series of incorrect OODA loops which leaves them less and less correctly oriented and reacting to the objective reality of the battlefield.

If you make the same push 2 or 3 months down the road when your opponent has recognised that he has culminated and has had time to prepare both physically ( in-game in terms of defensive dispositions, forts etc ) and mentally ( in terms of correctly synchronising his orientation with the objective reality of the situation ) then you don't have any dysequilibrium to take advantage of and you'll have to begin the whole dyssynchronising process again.

That's why I think attacking 2 or 3 months ago would have been superior. It would have allowed more to be done with less, using the opponent's dysequilibrium as a force multiplier and also taking far greater advantage of incorrect orientation.

As to CR taking a different approach. Yes but based on conversations I've had I think he'd like to be able to use tempo and failures in opponent orientation as force multipliers. That's why I give the input I do. I don't go into Greyjoy's AAR and post anymore since this sort of advice isn't at all what is useful to him. He needs to focus on the very basics, not esoteric force multipliers based on human psychology. For CR though, whom I believe is solidly in the second tier of players, I believe this sort of discussion is useful. He may disagree at times but I also believe that he has stated himself that often when he looks back on such discussions he sees correlations which may not have been obvious to him at the time and reconsiders the utility of the conversations involved. I refer here to his previous game with Q-Ball as an example. I've gone on record before as stating that if CR doesn't want me to post here then he only needs to ask me not to post - I've never posted to an AAR if asked not to by the author. In fact mostly I only post after being specifically invited to do so.

As to CR's play vs "risky aggression". Well, solid play interspersed with attacks isn't inherently superior to thrusting aggressive play. It all depends on the quality of the player and the suitability of the style to the situation.

As to learning: I believe CR would be the first to say he is still learning. As to the assumption that he will be more aggressive and quick to act in a continuous stream of campaigns. No, I think you are missing the point. I don't mistake form for function. Being more aggressive and stringing operations together into a flowing campaign is form. Form which doesn't comport to function is worthless. What matter is effectiveness.

Right now CR can mount a solid defence and attack in a co-ordinated, cohesive manner when he has amassed superior force. He is also experimenting ( within this game ) with elements of aggression, misdirection and more finely parsed calculation than I think he normally utilised. I am interested in the discussion whereby he conducts more independent analysis unfettered by the constraints of the mediocrity of conventional wisdom and in which he develops the skillset necessary for raiding actions, rapid advances, utilising the OODA loop to his advantage, recognising and capitalising on culmination points and, generally, developing a fingerspitzengefeuhl which will stand to him in future games.

Is that because this is superior? No. It is because that is an additional skillset and the more skillsets he has available the more likely he is to have the skillset which will yield the most superior results in any given situation. Of course once he develops the ability to judge the situation more finely and utilise tempo to drive events he'll have to really look into his maskirovka again but that's a discussion to have at that time, when he is trying to use tempo etc.

As to what we're seeing from Chez right now. Your assessment is certainly your right. I disagree and feel we're seeing nothing more than the unfocused activity of a player who isn't quite sure what to do and is thus disippating his force in strategically irrelevant sideshows. I've said this before and been given out to for labelling given opeations as strategically irrelevant. I'd point out that at this point in the game none of those operations have resulted in anything which has actually discomfited Canoerebel. Of course you are, again, free to disagree.

re: the game being decided in February. Well I've always said that unless I specifically state otherwise any assessment is based on the current players involved in the game. It was clear, IMO, that Chez was dissipating his forces and didn't recognise the urgency of the strategic situation at that time. Since then I've only seen further proof that he doesn't recognise the vital nature of the threat to his strategic centre and further proof that he continues to dissipate his forces in strategically irrelevant sideshows. So, I think the call in February was correct. Of course you are, again, free to disagree.

With different players I do agree that the situation would not have been decided in February. Of course things could have gone even worse for Japan rather than better. We cannot lose sight of that reality.

Overall though the take home response is:
1. I would never view anything as being as simple as "Key 1 is better than Key 2 at all times." In reality different keys fit different locks. Life and conflict is like that. Apple the right key to the right lock at the most advantageous time and you'll go a lot farther.

2. I'm interested in the process of moving from Tier 2 to tier 1 and the differences between those tiers. Thats what motivates my contributions. When the sh*t gets too deep in this thread or elsewhere then I bail since life's too short to suffer through that for no reward.

3. I believe our assessments of many things ( culmination point, the desirability of striking in that period of time when you recognise the opponent has culminated BUT your opponent doesn't realise it ) differ but that's fine. Different opinions make for interesting discussions.

4. With a little luck we may see an interesting take on the effects of different play styles being parachuted into ongoing games. Change the players and the assessments change. I think you are right in that.

Thanks for the contribution though, it was interesting to consider.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 9/20/2011 12:25:59 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1605
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 1:26:57 AM   
zuluhour

by far the deepest thread....

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1606
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 2:31:14 PM   
Lomri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

It does look like the unit has to be on the East Coast first. At least in the Vanilla not beta patched version. I just tested it .. just did a set destination to: cape town .. and it did it ..but from SF said invaild location ..

Right, has to be on the EC. And to clarify, since I am just realizing I wasted a lot of lift capacity to move the 27th div to India, what you do is park the unit in EC (I had it in strat mode, but sounds like it doesn't matter) and click "Move to", then click on Cape Town. A pop up will say "Do you want to transfer this unit to Cape Town". You chick Yes (or hit "y").

For air units, the button is "Transfer to Base". The window for me has to be scrolled up to see Capetown, or you can select on the map.

(I'm mostly clarifying that the LCU doesn't have a transfer button. The method of moving them is as if they were to march from EC to CT).

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1607
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 2:56:08 PM   
Canoerebel

I know how you feel.  In my game with Q-Ball, I boarded 27th Div. on ships at San Diego, sent the unit to Cristobal, and then sent it on to Capetown.  That was alot of unnecessary ship usage.  However, I do think units aboard ships do make the cross-Atlantic journey a bit faster, if that is any consolation.

I have a turn in from Steve that I will be doing today.  So there will be a post.  Recently, he's forgotten to send turns a couple of times.  He has a major project at work this week, which may be all or part of it.  But I'm interested in seeing if the slow-down carries over.  I'm wondering if he might be so unsure what to do in the game that his interest is beginning to flag just a bit.  Not saying that's the case, but I'll monitor the situation.  It's important in game play, because a very engaged player usually means an excited player, and that usually means a player who has big plans.  So, a player whose interest is waning may indicate a player who doesn't have big plans.

(in reply to Lomri)
Post #: 1608
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 3:19:51 PM   
obvert

quote:

Judging the culmination point isn't a matter of style. Its a matter of judgement. What you do about it is a question of style.

from Wikipedia-

"The culminating point in military strategy is the point at which a military force no longer is able to perform its operations.

On the offensive, the culminating point marks the time when the attacking force can no longer continue its advance, because of supply problems, the opposing force, or the need for rest. The task of the attacker is to complete its objectives before the culminating point is reached. The task of the defender on the other hand, is to bring the attacking force to its culminating point before its objectives are completed."

I've always tried to see a game of strategy in two ways. The first is as a psychological and strategic struggle between two or more opponents. The second is as a strategic struggle divorced from the the psychology and playing style of the opponents, based more on tactical possibility, positional strength and timing.

The culminating point is difficult to find in AE, especially in a game played by others. You may be better at assessing it than most. For Japan in this game it could have been two months ago, but as highlighted recently by CR himself, the final turn toward increasing Allied offensive ability might be as late as Sept or Oct, several months on. Much of this depends on the player playing Japan. We can assume he will continue to play in the manner of the previous 6-7 months, (which would be the assessment from the first way of seeing the game), or we can take the possibilities inherent in the game itself, divorced from the player (who may yet change strategies and mount a strong offensive somewhere more strategic than Pago Pago), and say that Japan could still be very strong for a few months.

quote:

I think about two months ago would have been the correct time.

You've elucidated this statement further above and it feels much less judgemental in the longer explanation of your intent. When using the term 'correct,' this also assumes the alternative would be 'incorrect.' I think that more open, less binary language allows the idea of what one thinks to be seen as an opinion rather than a judgement. I also have no problem with this kind of language in the end, as it does lead me to respond and try to balance the discussion if possible.

Your final points are very good. I understand you're an exacting player with admirable ambition to become better. I feel that in this we're on the same page. I'm just a fair way behind you and most others writing here. I've learned a great deal from all of your comments, both tactical and psychological, and most especially those about how to 'play' the game engine without becoming too incredibly OCD. I hope there are no moments soon when the responses push you away from the desire to contribute.

Sorry for the momentary highjack. Now back to the game.

quote:

I have a turn in from Steve that I will be doing today. So there will be a post. Recently, he's forgotten to send turns a couple of times. He has a major project at work this week, which may be all or part of it. But I'm interested in seeing if the slow-down carries over. I'm wondering if he might be so unsure what to do in the game that his interest is beginning to flag just a bit. Not saying that's the case, but I'll monitor the situation. It's important in game play, because a very engaged player usually means an excited player, and that usually means a player who has big plans. So, a player whose interest is waning may indicate a player who doesn't have big plans.

I wish Chez did have more time, and had continued his AAR, where perhaps some of Nemo's comments and those of others might have influenced his thinking toward the most pressing objectives in the DEI. I hope this does have a chance to work toward a natural conclusion rather than another abrupt ending.

AARs seem to really play a part in the engagement for many players, and keep them involved when things aren't going well. Q-Ball's AAR also became sporadic and then disappeared as the game slowed to a crawl and then stopped. Chez hasn't posted since 5/17.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1609
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 7:25:21 PM   
crsutton

quote:

You move it just like any other land unit that is on map. For any unit in the East Coast hex, (or Balboa) you set movement and when then when you set direction you click on Aden or Capetown. The computer then asks you if you want to transfer the unit and you say "yes" and it is done.

But if you keep your fast liners in Balboa or the EC you can get troops to India faster. Early in the game that might be important.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 9/20/2011 7:32:20 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1610
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 9:26:38 PM   
desicat

Defining a Culmination point for the Japanese in this game is difficult at best. With a judicial use of the KB supported by land based air Japan should still be able to gain local and even theater superiority, but to what end?

It could be argued that Japan has been unable to adequately conduct coherent strategic operations nor sequential theater level campaigns from the outset of the contest. CR's raid that destroyed the fast AO's and the initial surface victories at Singkawang and Babeldaoab on 12/12/41 seemed to blunt Japans initial strategic thrusts and Chez appears to have never recovered. Did Chez still have the military assets and logistic capability to press on from that point? Sure, but he seemed to lack strategic focus. He has been unable to successfully execute a "successful" opposed campaign in any theater. He did take Singapore, but he did it behind schedule, at a high cost in ship and air assets, and CR was able to evacuate units of his choice. DEI invasion? Only able to take what CR gave him and again way behind schedule. Kuriles? A disaster. Pago Pago? Where is the payoff? China? I see more trouble than opportunity.

In the beginning of this game (or even to this point) did Japan suffer from a lack of supply, rest, or superior firepower (caused by an opposing force)? Nope, they appear to have no grand strategy for what they wanted to accomplish and that is hampering their efforts more than CR. Did they culminate militarily? Nope, and they may never get a chance to in a meaningful manner. Japan has yet to bring its superior Scenario 2 land based air forces into play to grind down CR's air assets, it looks like Japan will muddle along until the balance of power swings to the Allies.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1611
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 10:22:01 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

I don't go into Greyjoy's AAR and post anymore since this sort of advice isn't at all what is useful to him. He needs to focus on the very basics, not esoteric force multipliers based on human psychology.

Probably you're right. No, for sure you're right.
However if you want to jump in, even only to say "Hi", i wanna make you know that you're always welcome and, even if i don't grab and understand the most part of your suggestions and analizes, i thank you for all the attempts you made in the past!

Ciao

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1612
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 10:56:29 PM   
Nemo121

Obvert:

I think the wikipaedia definition of culmination point really isn't one I'd agree with. I think it captures a large amount of the essence of the culmination point but I think it misses out on the importance of focus and orientation. I'll explain....

Defining the culmination point purely in terms of logistics, exhaustion and enemy opposition leaves one of the most important factors in failed offensives unconsidered; namely the opposing commander's loss of orientation and persistence in ordering operationally and strategically irrelevant attacks. I define anything which fails to further a cohesive strategic agenda as being pretty much irrelevant.

At this point in time the attacker maintains the ability to continue attacking and may even be doing so effectively but all attacks do NOT serve to further the greater strategic goals. E.g. In this game Japan could still continue attacking. Chez could launch a major offensive against some of the small islands in between Fiji and Hawaii. He could commit KB and he could utterly destroy the defenders of these islands, capturing them and adding them to the Japanese hegemony.

By the wikipaedia definition he won't have reached his culmination point because he is still capable of offensive action. I, however, would argue that in such a situation Chez has culminated because he is NOT capable of further offensive action in the theatre of strategic decision ( the DEI ) given the misallocation of resources to subsidiary theatres.

Another way to look at this is to look at games I've played - I list this only because I'm quite familiar with these games and thus can speak of the force correlations with some authority. I have, on several occasions, forced my opponent onto the defensive in early to mid-42 while they possessed more and better quality aerial units, ships, CVs and land forces. By the wikipaedia definition my opponent's hadn't reached their culmination point since they were still capable of offensive action. On the other hand through some OODA loop games and misdirection I transitioned onto the offensive long before the enemy had actually reached what, conventionally, would be considered their culmination point.

This leads to my next critique of the Wikipaedia definition. It is passive. I think that the defender can do a huge amount to culminate the enemy:
a) long before the enemy's military might has been eroded even to a position of equality with the defender and
b) long before the enemy realises they have culminated.

Obviously different people see this different ways. I think you are defining the culmination point as that time at which CR will attack ( Sept/Oct ). I would argue that the culmination point is actually that time at which CR could have attacked with a good chance of success of rolling one offensive into another a la Bagration ( which, IMO, was May 42 ). IF he had attacked at that time Chez would have been forced into a reactive posture and culminated.

My assessment is coloured by my philosophical approach to the situation ( discombobulate the opponent, rattle them, misdirect them and be prepared to attack when hugely outnumbered relying on psychological dysequilibrium and tempo to make up for the lack of numbers and/or quality ). Others opinions may well vary, of course.

Bottom line though I think that the different way of viewing the field of battle and the game ( I take an avowedly psychological approach and believe that the actual in-game results are just the working out the almost inevitable sequelae of the combination of logistics and OODA/tempo superiority ) yields slightly ( but significantly ) different ways of viewing culmination points and who controls the onset of such a point.

As to correct: Well, we type quickly. Let's assume I would, now, substitute optimal for correct such that the alternatives would, IMO, be sub-optimal rather than incorrect. On the plus side, the binary language drew you out from your hide and that's a good thing. Interesting discussion is always good.

As to being a fair way behind.... I wouldn't be so sure. Being open to these concepts and discussing them ( whatever your own interpretation of them is ) is a pretty good sign. In the end what matters is that you fit all of these concepts together in a framework which is consistent AND not cognitively dissonant with your normal way of viewing the world.

I think psychologically a lot so I tend to view a lot of these things with that psychological prism. Someone who is an engineer might view these things much more concretely and functionally. Is either "better" than the other? Not necessarily so long as both interpretations are cohesive, coherent and not cognitively dissonant with the overall way of viewing issues.

As to being pushed away. Never by anyone willing to engage in a proper discussion in which adults can agree to disagree and still respect eachother. People concerned with being right rather than correct and people who disrespect others make me realise there are places I can spend my time which are less frustrating --- and so I go, for weeks or months, when those people begin to intrude and remain unchallenged.

Desicat,
Given Chez's current play do you really think he will combine KB and LBA and naval power backed by sufficient land power to achieve an outcome which has anything more than strictly local significance?

Physically he can combine them but, as with Hannibal Barca, the question is NOT whether he could win a victory but whether he'd know what to do with it in order to turn that victorious operation into a strategically decisive operation. I don't think that, right now, he can do that. That's one of the reasons I say he has culminated. Yes he can attack but, as you say, to what end?

I think though that there's more to culminating than being unable to mount offensives. I think a culmination point can also be reached when the commander is unable or unwilling to mount further DECISIVE offensive action. Yes they can attack but, in effect, those attacks are little better than fritterings away of power in subsidiary theatres.

Overall though, from a concretist point of view I can't see a flaw in your assessment. I just amn't coming from a concretist point of view . Not better or worse, just different.

Greyjoy,
I read but I think if I commented it would be counterproductive. Right now your issue is not a lack commentary but rather an issue of quality and cohesiveness. Assuming everyone gives brilliant advice you could still be faced with a situation where Desicat and Obvert might advocate one line of approach and I another because our approaches are rather different. Both might be quite valid. They might also be mutually exclusive. I think your AAR is suffering from a little of that. But, that's all part of the learning experience.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 9/20/2011 10:58:36 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1613
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/20/2011 11:50:11 PM   
desicat

Nemo, Because of the material assets that Japan still has at its disposal from Scenario 2 they still have the POTENTIAL to stabilize things in any theater of their choice - they may just not have the skill. It is for this reason that I feel they haven't culminated militarily - political or strategic culmination is a different question entirely.

The point of my reply to obvert was to call into question the definition he was using. Defining Culmination point in a multi-theater game like AE is very difficult. Hannibal in Italy was a good analogy, but let me try the US Civil War (or for CR the War of Norther Aggression). The South culminated in the West well before they did in the East at Gettysburg. The Southern campaign that led to Gettysburg was Lee's attempt to use his military power to achieve a political victory before the gathering Northern strength eliminated his offensive options and forced him into a complete defensive posture. Did the South culminate with the loss of the Mississippi river, at Gettysburg, when Grant took over, or when England decided to not intervene on behalf of the Confederates? Books have been written advocating all of the above and more.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1614
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/21/2011 12:11:18 AM   
whippleofd

I respectfully submit that "offensive actions" can have various meanings. I look at it like this: If you are disrupting your oponents OODA cycle, you are taking offensive action. Canoerebel has been doing it since the first naval battle at Rabaul. The opponent has never been able to commit to consistant strategic offensive operations because of this; therefore, he has been strategically defensive even though operationally offensive.

Turn out the lights, the parties over.
Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 1615
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/21/2011 1:05:24 AM   
princep01

OODALULU LOOPS, culmination points......bah, and a pox on your house to all that blather!

Be there firstest with the mostest and kill'm all. Beat them, pound them, squash them to bloody pulp until a wee small voice is heard whining "uncle". Then give them a hard kick in the posterior as a reminder and declare peace. Works everytime.

And, I might say, CR, you are doing a whale of a job of doing just that. Keep up the good work. This is going to be fun to watch as you transition to the strategic offensive. Good luck.

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 1616
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/21/2011 2:55:01 AM   
Canoerebel

7/17/42

Quiet turn (which is good for the Allies at the moment), so I'll give you an overall picture of what's going on:

A.  The primary focus is to keep watch on Japan, especially in the DEI, and to continue managing and maximizing the defensive presence there.  Two armored units are coming into Oosthaven in the next week.  Oosthaven forts go to level seven tomorrow.  Palembang is at 6.36.  More supply is on the way.  Many of the damaged ships are back online at Colombo and most of the rest will be fit for duty over the next week or two.  Cocos Island is pretty secure.  I'm considering grabbing and building one of the islands off Sumatra's south coast as a buffer point.

B.  While monitoring Japan, the Allies have three major offensive type operations in the works:

1.  Reinforcement and re-supply of Paramushiro and Onnekotan - there is risk here, but the rewards would be
         great if the Allies can push in enough supply to permit Para to really get up and running again.  With
         winter on the horizong, Japan would be facing a new crisis up here.  Four land-based fighter squadrons
         are enroute, and Wasp will provide some stand-off help and some offensive potential.  Supply, troop
         transports, and units are all in position in the Aleutians now.  Projected "D-Day" - two weeks.

2.  The next step in the Pacific:  In addition to guarding and building the bases at Pago Pago, Tarawa, etc.,
         Allies are gathering troops at Pearl for the next step.  This might be an invasion of Mili, but more likely
         the Allies will probe more deepy to occupy in strength the Santa Cruz Islands, which are still Allied bases. 
         Projected D-Day - a month.

3.  Counterinvasion in SEAC:  When (and if) Steve invades Sumatra, the Allies intend to counterinvade
         western Sumatra, Malaya, or vicinity.  The Allies are gathering the troops at Colombo, though it will take
         another month to get them into place.  If Steve still hasn't moved on Sumatra, then at some point the
         Allies will go on the offensive, using these troops as the core force.  D-Day - depends on Japan right now,
         but if Japan doesn't pull the trigger, the Allies will probably do so by November.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1617
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/21/2011 3:04:24 AM   
Ketza

I agree that this one is "over" but there is still fun to be had. Which is the point.

Enjoyable reading as always.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1618
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/21/2011 5:01:59 AM   
JeffroK

CR, are you at the point where the Chindit Bdes arrive or are the Parachute Marines in theatre??

Might make a useful reserve being able to fly them into a threatened base, or drop on a base Chez has left unguarded. Its always nicer to land at a freindly base than trudge through the mud.

As for all the opinions above, IFF Chez got his act together he could grab a last minute victory(being a major interupption to your plans), it would take a lot of luck and timing but at the moment he has a small chance.
How would it affect you, even if only for a few months if he got into two of your plans mentioned above, lots of hurt and put you onto the back foot for maybe the rest of 1942.

Be on your guard as the time isnt quite there where Allied air & sea power rule much of the map.

This small window for Chez will dissapear soon so be prepared for a last fling before your force is dramatically improved by the F6F & Essex class CV's.

(All of this is assuming tactics and approach which Chez hasnt really shown as yet)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 1619
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 9/21/2011 5:09:09 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whipple

I respectfully submit that "offensive actions" can have various meanings.

In support of your submission, I offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI