Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! Page: <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 1:38:07 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

As a youngster Heinlein was my favorite author. I read every book he ever published.

"Never appeal to a man's better nature, he may not have one. Appeal insted to his self interest"

I read them all as well. "Starship Troopers" in 4th grade. It was a central impetus to my eventually serving in the Navy.

I posted those lines both as a gentle nudge to CR (too subtle?) and as an Are You a Geek? test. You, sir, have passed with flying colors, while it seems as if our own ChickenDoc might have failed to grasp the source. That Lazarus fought in WWI, WWII, but was writing the Notebooks from approximately 4000 A.D. is a little joke. Well, maybe.

Hail, Geeks!!!!

The Moose

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 2761
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 2:04:03 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I cannot envision a way that any fuel or oil from anywhere in the DEI could be shipped back to the home islands if it's bombed enroute. N. Borneo or Palawan, combined with Cebu in the Central Philipines combines with Leyte/Samar east of there forms an impenetrable barrier over any oil shipments through the region. Morotai or Palau / Bobble-do-rag would complete the eastern border of the 'no ship' zone.

CR's still 1.5 years from kamikaze enablement, so there's really no downside to getting as high up the Philipine chain. I'd do this in preference to landing directly on those respective oil sources. Reinforcing already held islands in the Philipines is essentially a zero cost option to this opportunity. This would be my preference-accomplish the strategic goal at zero cost.

You are objectively correct that POL out of Miri is not going to happen much longer one way or the other. But there are several reasons I still think standing on Miri is the best option right now, and why the PI route is riskier:

1) Miri is recon-visible. The PI is a leap into some degree of darkness.

2) Given 1), the PI would need carriers. Even then, depending on how far north the intrusion occurred, Chez woudl have a good strategic backfield to rally a response from. Marianas?

3) The PI invasion options need to be "bigger" and thus would take longer to mount.

4) Biggest reason to go at Miri is psychological. Not to go all Nemo here, but Miri "going green" would be a huge psychological blow to Chez. As the saying goes, nothing focuses the mind like the prospect of a hanging at dawn. Loss of Miri would be a back-breaker; Japan would have to respond in a massive way. It takes a Japan which is already on its heels in reactive posture and escalates that 150%. It does it quickly, in a low-risk way for the Allies, but would require an all-in move by Japan to eject the landings. Leyte Gulf in the DEI if you will.

The PI is a slow bleed over the next 8-12 months. It might take Chez a while to grasp that his home-bound convoys are in danger once credible air forces were established in the PI. But Miri is a right to the jaw. It's unmistakeable. Sometimes CR likes to be subtle, to feint, to jab, to bleed out his opponent. But sometimes an all-in challenge is the right move, particularly when you've already prepared the gorund for it. The Sink. battle and take-down is the prep. Taking Miri is the harvest.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/13/2012 2:05:50 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2762
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 2:21:40 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

After reading Bullwinkles posts I have a strange urge to reinforce Miri

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 2763
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 4:17:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I cannot envision a way that any fuel or oil from anywhere in the DEI could be shipped back to the home islands if it's bombed enroute. N. Borneo or Palawan, combined with Cebu in the Central Philipines combines with Leyte/Samar east of there forms an impenetrable barrier over any oil shipments through the region. Morotai or Palau / Bobble-do-rag would complete the eastern border of the 'no ship' zone.

CR's still 1.5 years from kamikaze enablement, so there's really no downside to getting as high up the Philipine chain. I'd do this in preference to landing directly on those respective oil sources. Reinforcing already held islands in the Philipines is essentially a zero cost option to this opportunity. This would be my preference-accomplish the strategic goal at zero cost.

You are objectively correct that POL out of Miri is not going to happen much longer one way or the other. But there are several reasons I still think standing on Miri is the best option right now, and why the PI route is riskier:

1) Miri is recon-visible. The PI is a leap into some degree of darkness.

2) Given 1), the PI would need carriers. Even then, depending on how far north the intrusion occurred, Chez woudl have a good strategic backfield to rally a response from. Marianas?

3) The PI invasion options need to be "bigger" and thus would take longer to mount.

4) Biggest reason to go at Miri is psychological. Not to go all Nemo here, but Miri "going green" would be a huge psychological blow to Chez. As the saying goes, nothing focuses the mind like the prospect of a hanging at dawn. Loss of Miri would be a back-breaker; Japan would have to respond in a massive way. It takes a Japan which is already on its heels in reactive posture and escalates that 150%. It does it quickly, in a low-risk way for the Allies, but would require an all-in move by Japan to eject the landings. Leyte Gulf in the DEI if you will.

The PI is a slow bleed over the next 8-12 months. It might take Chez a while to grasp that his home-bound convoys are in danger once credible air forces were established in the PI. But Miri is a right to the jaw. It's unmistakeable. Sometimes CR likes to be subtle, to feint, to jab, to bleed out his opponent. But sometimes an all-in challenge is the right move, particularly when you've already prepared the gorund for it. The Sink. battle and take-down is the prep. Taking Miri is the harvest.

I'm still in favor of the insidious expansion of forces in the Cent PI theatre:

Chez has demonstrated a disinterest or unwillingness to thoroughly recon Allied axes of expansion. He is coming into the fight blinded about CR's build in supporting bases elsewhere in the DEI.

Clearly something is 'up' at Miri now and Chez is alerted to the threat here. Allied capture of this base will now require a good deal more force than it once did against an alerted opponent. Allied carriers will likely be required to support troops en route. LRCAP from LBA will be insufficient for a Miri invasion. I agree that an exploitation of the central PI would require at least transient carrier support, as would Miri, in my opinion.

However, lodgements could be secured inexpensively and-quite possibly-concealed from the prying eyes of the IJ forces, because they've not been properly dealt with by the Japanese. Allied air supply can transport some small base forces (and aviation support) to N. Borneo bases right now. A couple DB units there would be easily supported by air supply. Air transport in some LCUs if you're concerned about a counterinvasion. A couple xAKs on a one-way mission could provide supplies en masse.

Cebu in particular, with its supply production, could be a real hub for Allied expansion in this area. CR knows the distance his air transport units can fly: if they're in range of modest-range reconnaisance assets (e.g., F-4 or F-5s), they're within range of Allied transport aircraft.

Miri may be the right cross to the jaw. Quietly building the central Philipines is like waking up in the morning and finding your midsection missing. No warning, no hint it's just not there one day. Maybe some diagnostic discovery could have been done, but it's too late now. This is the more subtle and nuanced play in my book.

Chez hasn't indicated that he'd be 'knocked out' by a landed blow before now. Heck-if he can fight on without Palembang (and not put up a knock-down fight for it), why should he care about lesser (much lesser) oil centers now? He'll likely look at it as "Well, that sucked. Now what?" and fight on. Removing his midsection will make the 'fighting on' aspect that much easier for CR to exploit in the future.

Post #: 2764
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 4:32:50 PM   
Canoerebel

Well....the next strike is probably going to be Balikpapan.  There is a beehive of Japanese activity all around Miri.  Once Singkawang falls it should be pretty easy to really stir up the bees:  some recon flights over Miri and Brunei, lots of shipping plying the waters, sub activity, patrols out of Groet Natoena, and suddenly a big force moving that way...while the real force moves on Banjermasin and Balikpapan.  (This wouldn't work the other way around, because Steve is primed to believe that Miri is the target and he won't be dissuaded from that belief.)

I won't do any recon of Banjermasin and Balikpapan until just before the operation gets underway.  But the Allies may go ahead and transport some base force and garrison troops into Sampit, which is still an Allied-controlled base.

None of this will happen for at least a month.  Singkawang has to fall first and the Allies have to begin prepping troops.

In the meantime, the Allies may proceed with the invasion of Victoria Point, assuming it remains vacant or lightly guarded, and assuming the Indian division prepping for Singkawang and just departing India isn't needed for that oepration and can be diverted.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/13/2012 4:33:12 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2765
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 4:59:34 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

BTW, I love Beeble-bo-bub

Then you might also enjoy its brotiher in the southern PI: ""Bojangles."

And the one on the eastern end of Java "Banjos and Wookies".

Post #: 2766
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 5:08:00 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

BTW, I love Beeble-bo-bub

Then you might also enjoy its brotiher in the southern PI: ""Bojangles."

And the one on the eastern end of Java "Banjos and Wookies".

and don't forget my all time favorite...the island of F_ckit...err I mean Phuket

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2767
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 7:08:01 PM   
BBfanboy

HB, when I first saw the name I thought the same, but friends quickly corrected me about the letter K being in the second syllable. It is pronounced Foo-ket if you wish to mention it in polite company. I was lucky enough to visit the place a couple of years ago. Beautiful island overall. The beach in the centre of the west side is a tourist trap where young people go to party. I much preferred the quieter beach we found at the southwest corner.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 2768
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 7:28:01 PM   
Canoerebel

11/27/42

Borneo:  Things are heating up.  Steve seems to have slipped a fast transport convoy into Singkawang during the afternoon phase, thus missing three Allied combat TFs that visited earlier in the day.  The IJ garrison is up to 14k, so this may be a tough battle.  Another IJ fast transport dropped off a small detachment of artillery units at Kuching.  I assume this is a scouting force belatedly diverted to this base after the Allied parachute assault.  PBYs out of Kuching report a variety of Japanese TFs in the South China Sea, including at least one carrier TF (appears to be the small force that stood watch near Kuching a few turns ago, not the KB).  The Allied army moving on Singkawang again covered 11 miles - the remaining distance is 41 miles, so perhaps the army will arrive in four days.  The Allies continue to send in reinforcements to Kuching and Sambas via air transport - those going to the former were intercepted by enemy fighters.  Kuching has clearly incited Steve, which is good.  However, I want to hold it if possible (Marine 'chutes won't be able to do so very long against a determined counterattack), so my transport aircraft will be committed to this operation for a few days.  As soon as they can get free, though, they'll begin transporting troops to Sampit, way over near Banjermasin.  26th Indian Div. 100% prepped for Singk is well on its way now.  I'm going to hold it in reserve somewhere south of Sumatra.  If needed at Singkawang, she'll be called in for duty.  If not, she'll form the backbone of the Victoria Point invasion. Lots going on here.

Singkep:  No enemy counterattack yet, but it's coming.  Like Kuching, the Allies would love to hold this base, but its going to be tough given its proximity to Singapore.  9th Marine CD unit, 100% prepped for Singkep, arrives at Oosthaven in a day or two.  Don't know how to shoe-horn these guys in, but I'm going to try.

Sumatra:  One of the big decisions is which troops I can afford to stand down from their current prep in order to develop of force of 1,000 to 1,500 AV to prep for Balikpan.  The threat to Sumatra is dimished considerably after the big naval battle that took Yamato out of the war for a good while, but there is still some concern.  I can't afford to lose Palembang, Oosthaven, Benkolen or Padang.  On the other hand, the American carriers will be back on station in about two weeks (unless the Allies pull the trigger on the Victoria Point invasion), so at that point I think the Allies are safe to act.

Burma:  Allied units will arrive at Prome the day after tomorrow.  Unlikely I have enough to take this base, but we'll see.

NoPac:  Para port goes to level four in a couple of days, which will bump up the supply limits, which is important.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2769
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 8:28:25 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

9th Marine CD unit, 100% prepped for Singkep, arrives at Oosthaven in a day or two. Don't know how to shoe-horn these guys in, but I'm going to try.

Fast transport TF's seem to work pretty well.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2770
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 9:09:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Not mine.  There is default coding in my copy of AE that reads this way:  "Fast Transport:  Fast Transport TFs will proceed at mission speed until they speed up enough to arrive at exposed bases under hazardous duty just in time to stay throughout the entire day, standing down long enough to permit massive enemy air raids in retaliation for their intrepidity in engaging in such missions."

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2771
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/13/2012 10:56:23 PM   
Cribtop

Dan,

Select the target base before loading troops. In theory, this will make the ships load only what they can unload in the night phase.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2772
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/14/2012 12:00:55 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Dan,

Select the target base before loading troops. In theory, this will make the ships load only what they can unload in the night phase.

The subtleties that this game expects you to remember never cease to amaze me! Advice like yours is why forums are the best learning tool of all. Would have taken me more years than I have left to find that one out on my own [if ever].

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2773
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/14/2012 4:14:43 AM   
Cribtop

Thanks, BB. I have a pretty much photographic memory and I've always joked it helps in this game. Be warned, my memory of this particular data point is of reading it in another thread. Therefore my certainty I saw it is 100% but my certainty the information is accurate is not.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2774
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/14/2012 5:03:39 AM   
Saros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Dan,

...That is certainly some very important information I did not know. We really need to make a thread with a whole massive list of quirky important things like that.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2775
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/14/2012 6:19:41 AM   
John 3rd

Heck...I NEVER heard of that Chickieboy! Take a look at the screenshot I will now Post in my AAR...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 2776
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 12:18:41 AM   
Canoerebel

11/28/42

The contest over southwestern Borneo continues to blaze furiously.

Pontianak:  An eight-DD Japanese TF came into Pontianak and tangled with a SC/xAKL force, sinking three of the latter.  Upon retiring, the Japanese TF bumped into two Allied TFs, one led by Royal Sovereign and the other by CA Pensacola.  The Japanese acquitted themselves well, sinking three low-value DD and a DMS.  I think four Japanese DDs went under, possibly five, with two more left in flames.

Kuching:  Japan is really hot after the Allied garrison at Kuching - diverting precious attention (IMO) from more important places.  BBs Kongo and Kirishima bombarded the base effectively.  Massed waves of IJA and IJN strike aircraft targeted the troops with relativley little impact.  Wtih the airfield shut down, the Allies are moving the PBY squadron to Groet Natoena - that ought to ruffle Steve's feathers if he notices!

Singkawang/Sambas:  Allied 4EB target Singkawang without opposition.  In the process, we learn that the Japanese garrison consists of three regiments (one a Cav unit), an AA unit, and a base force.  (There is one more unit there of unknown type).  The Allied army marching on Singk made 11 more miles - just 30 to go.  This is where Steve is making two important mistakes, though with everything going on I can understand why.  He wants to reinforce, so time is important.  He should be doing two things:  (1) bombing the Allied army to slow the rate of advance to a crawl, and (2) counter-invading Sambas so that he can land troops there and at Singk (it would be harder for the Allies to effectively shut down both ports).

Allied Naval Power:  BB Washington TF (commanded by Halsey) will patrol Singk tonight, as will the remnants of the Royal Sovereign Tf, plus the newly replenished CA Cornwall TF.  BB South Dakota and CA San Francisco are in a TF moving tonight from Oost to Billiton Island.  The Allies are playing all their cards now in an effort to either halt Japanese reinforcement efforts at Singk or make the effort as bloody as possible.

Burma:  Allied probing attacks at both Prome and Pegu tomorrow.

SWPac:  Garrison troops have unloaded at Taberfane and will unload at Saumlauki tomorrow.  No sign of detection.  So while the hot action is taking place in the western DEI, the Allies are taking the first steps toward making inroads in the eastern DEI.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2777
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 1:17:08 AM   
princep01

Nice intercept on that DD raiding party. 5 more DDs gone. You just keep bleeding those IJN units. They are hard to replace and it will get tougher as the oil intake drops lower and lower. Good work. Maybe some bigger fish will swim in sensing the blood in the water.....and join their brothern. BB Washington can handle almost anything, With HAlsey in command of the TF, they are liable to pursue back to Saigon or Cam Rhan Bay:). Keep him on a leash....he's not called Wild Bill for nothing.

On to Balikpapan....or whereever the next stop is.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2778
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 10:28:46 AM   
paullus99

Ouch - this is where his lack of CA's is really going to come back and haunt him. They are / were some of his best surface combatants & now that he's forced to use the remainder as either carrier escorts or risk them against superior allied numbers, he is caught between a rock and a hard place.

Where are his Betty's & Nell's? I can't believe he isn't flooding the area with LBA on anti-shipping missions - and he should still have plenty of airframes to go around. He's now fighting a war that he is well ill-equipped to win - surprise isn't on his side, he's having to react to your offensive moves now, and you have plenty of reinforcements in the pipeline.

I can see exactly why the Pacific has almost no priority for you - better to funnel everything into the DEI where you have major bases to stage from & shorter distances to his major arteries.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2779
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 1:55:44 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

I can see exactly why the Pacific has almost no priority for you - better to funnel everything into the DEI where you have major bases to stage from & shorter distances to his major arteries.

At this point I think CR would be nearly ecstatic to see the IJN bringing any strength into the Pacific. He's working on mid-43-44 objectives in late 42! By the beginning of 43 the Japanese economy should be feeling the pinch and the Allies might be re-stablishing outposts in the PI. Crazy.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 2780
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 3:38:36 PM   
Canoerebel

11/29/42

Das darf nicht war sein!  (This cannot be!)

Borneo:  Japan may be evacuating Singkawang.  This isn't confirmed yet, but one unit has moved out on the yellow road that ends in jungle a hex from Kuching.  I should know more tomorrow or the next day.  This would be an unimagineable misallocation of resources - evacuating the key base while focusing on lesser bases (Kuching and Singkep).  This whole region is important, but Singk is the key.  The Allies army made eleven miles again, with just 19 remaing.  Barring a slow-down, the Allies should be in position to attack Singkwang in three days.  An enemy attack at Kuching built on a weak armored unit got 1:1 odds but failed to dislodge the Marine 'chutes, who are holding on by their fingernails.

Singkep:  Two more enemy regiments coming ashore here, though in bad shape due to lack of prep.  Allied strike aircraft sank two xAK but took heavy losses in doing so.  Japan has 200+ AV and the Allies just 70 to 90 light infantry, but disruption may be playing the gremlin with Japan's abilities at the moment.

Java:  The Allies have been reconning western Java bases for month, but I've recently switched a few units around to target eastern bases including Soerabaja.  This is mainly to give Steve something to think about (acting as though I am using Java as a feint while the real effort will be towards Miri, when in fact Miri will be the feint and the real effort will go to Balikpan).

Malaya:  With Singkawang possibly becoming an open city, the Allies have reversed the 26th Div. transports and vectored them towards the Andaman Sea.  Recon still shows Victoria Point open.  I have lots of small units at Madras that need to be bought to join in the invasion.  Especially important will be armored units that can move forward quickly to claim other vacant bases and sever Japan's LOC down the peninsula.  Four Allied carriers will be available for action in six days, though it may take some time to retrieve the fighter elements of several (currently deployed at Sumatra-and-vicinity bases).

Burma:  The Allies take Prome easily and achieve a 1:1 attack at Pegu.  The IJ position is rapidly deteriorating.  Allied recon will switch to Moulmein today, which should worry Steve.

NoPac:  I have troops and ships ready to move to the front from Victoria, Canada, but no political points.  Right now, SWPac (restricted units in Oz bound for the DEI) and Malaya (restricted troops in India) are higher priority.  I still have three months to buy units going to NoPac, but the road seems wide open and therefore highest priority in the other two locations.

SWPac:  Garrison and base force troops ashore at Taberfane and Saumlaki without detection.  The Allies paid for an Aussie brigade at Townsville that will embark (along with a base force) for Boela (still Allied controlled) tonight.  Also have Aussie troops prepping for Babo, Sorong and Morotai (also Allied controlled).  Given all the activity in the western DEI and South China Sea it seems highly likely that Steve is ignoring the eastern DEI and hasn't attended to housekeeping.  I want to push the envelope here as quickly as possible.

Das darf nicht war sein!  It very much looks like the Allies will be communicating a peace feeler to Japan by the end of 1942. 

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2781
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 4:04:47 PM   
obvert

quote:

The Allies paid for an Aussie brigade at Townsville that will embark (along with a base force) for Boela (still Allied controlled) tonight. Also have Aussie troops prepping for Babo, Sorong and Morotai (also Allied controlled).

Boela and Babo have oil. It's obvious that he didn't really plan for being in this game long-term from quite early on. You don't pass up any base with oil playing the Japanese.

I had thought that he just stuck to pre-conceived or wildly optimistic new plans in the South Pacific. It now seems to me that he hasn't really been attempting to play with any eye toward the future from very early on in the game. Those weren't strategic plans in the Pacific, or anywhere else. They were tactical escapades or tests of equipment and logistics for future games.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2782
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 5:06:53 PM   
Cribtop

Wow. Just wow.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2783
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 6:22:06 PM   
Canoerebel

The theater reserve for all of SoPac and SWPac is a few unrestricted units in New Zealand that were prepping for targets like Fiji and Noumea.  Scrap that.  They're going ino the eastern DEI.  The first tranport TF is loading now.

The Allies didn't move into the eastern DEI earlier because doing so would have been counterproductive.  Steve hadn't performed necessary house cleaning, leaving important bases in Allied hands, albeit undefended.  Until the Allies could get some decent troops in it would have been foolish to draw Steve's attention to the theater, provoking him into attending to matters.  Instead, I let things lie while awaiting an opportunity to use some PP to buy units to shift into the theater.  Now, with Steve's attention draw to the western DEI, I have both the resources (limited as they are) and circumstances to make some headway here.  Steve can reassert control, but to do so will require that he pay appropriate attention, which he hasn't done yet, and shift critical resources here.

Steve still has a vast army (why hasn't he committed divisions to garrison critical forward bases or to counterinvade?) and airforce, but his navy - especially capital ships - are stretched to the breaking point.  He's in a tight spot now.

The Allies should be in a position by year's end to present peace feelers to Japan:  Is it worth continuing the war under these circumstances?

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2784
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 7:07:23 PM   
BBfanboy

Your sportsmanship and consideration for your opponent are outstanding, to let the game end before he suffers the agonies of 1943-44 [this game won't get to 1945].
OTOH I was looking forward to seeing you demonstrate another brilliant island-hopping campaign through the central Phillipines and likely Formosa/China while simultaneously pressing in from the NPAC. Oh well, it's been instructive and entertaining to watch the campaign thus far so I can't complain too much.
Muchos graçias señor[sp?]!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2785
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 7:10:10 PM   
Cribtop

Only the players can truly answer that question, but clearly the war has been decided for some time now.

I would seize Singkawang, invade the eastern DEI and cut the Peninsula at Victoria Point/Chumphon, then offer terms. By that point all hope will be lost for Japan and Chez could yield with honor. He may throw the IJN at one or more of these Ops and get it whipped. If that happens, offer peace the next day.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2786
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 7:22:28 PM   
BBfanboy

IRL Japan had lost the war by the time the Guadalcanal campaign ended [and New Guinea was pretty much hopeless for them]. However, there was still lots of fighting and drama on the long road to Japan. I wanna see another Leyte Gulf!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2787
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/15/2012 8:40:14 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I wanna see another Leyte Gulf!

Mixed emotions here. I confess I want to see as much action as possible in this well-written AAR. But I am highly impatient for it all to be over so we can find out what in Tartarus your esteemed opponent was thinking!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2788
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/16/2012 1:44:18 AM   
crsutton

CR, Did you get my PM response about Forty Oaks? I am not sure if my PMs are going out.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2789
RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! - 3/16/2012 3:33:41 AM   
JeffroK

Chez could try something brilliant, CR's reaction of CV's get hung up on mines and SS and the whole game change in another direction.

Pigs might fly.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2790
Page:   <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! Page: <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI