Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/28/2011 10:09:33 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Maybe I'll change one VP everytime a player uses it.

Still worth it.

The Moose

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 481
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/28/2011 11:38:57 PM   
BigDuke66

Shouldn't a TF that is not docked in a base hex be listed as "At sea in XY"?
I see some of my Mine sweeping and ASW TFs listed as At sea but even more just list the base as if they were docked but I can't see the difference between them.

Is the Burma Road checked daily?
Using "5" I can trace a path to Rangoon from Tsuyung but I still don't see a "Burma Road Open".

I would like to attach a save but all I get is:

C:\fakepath\wpae004.rar is not supported

Ok changed extention to txt, that did it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 4/29/2011 1:41:46 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 482
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/28/2011 11:53:26 PM   
ADB123

Michael -

In PzB's AAR Cap & Gown wrote the following:

quote:

I imagine you are still using the last patch. I wanted to give you a heads up about the beta patch. My opponent asked that I upgrade to the newest beta and I did. I found some very important changes for the Japanese side. First, you can now build PT boats (MTBs). That could be good for point defense of forward bases. I just turned on MTB production in a big way. The other extremely important change is that every Zero squadron can now upgrade to Georges and Jacks! I had relegated my Zero squadrons to rear area defenses and training. But now it looks like those squadrons will be useful again once I can get enough planes built. (I had to expand my production quite a bit since I was not expecting to be able use that many Georges and Jacks.)

I've looked through your updated list on the first page of this discussion and I can't seem to be able to find where you state these changes.

My JFB side says "oh boy" for my Japanese pbem.

My AFB side says "huh, what do the Allies get in return?" for my Allied pbem.

Thanks -

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 483
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 12:23:05 AM   
DivePac88

I've read-up on this beta patch, and it looks stable to me. I want to upgrade our PBEM game, can anyone see a problem with that?

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 484
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108j (build03) - 4/29/2011 12:31:47 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

So what exactly does:
quote:

Fixed Error in some calculations of MP and ARM points for squad-type devices in some places [MEM]

mean? Is now cost for devices closer to 1 Armament Point for 1 load point, as stated in manual?

In some places the ARM points were number of devices times device's load cost.
For squad like devices, it should be ARM points equal to number of devices.

The first method is the cost to build a non-vehicle non-squad device.

Michael

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 485
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 12:36:54 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Using "5" I can trace a path to Rangoon from Tsuyung but I still don't see a "Burma Road Open".

Yes daily.
The length of the 'Burma Road' supply is more than the 100 points that '5' key shows, so it can't be used to tell.

Oh and more importantly, the message is in the next build. The one that hasn't been posted yet.

Michael

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 486
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 12:43:00 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADB123

Michael -

quote:

I imagine you are still using the last patch. I wanted to give you a heads up about the beta patch. My opponent asked that I upgrade to the newest beta and I did. I found some very important changes for the Japanese side. First, you can now build PT boats (MTBs). That could be good for point defense of forward bases. I just turned on MTB production in a big way. The other extremely important change is that every Zero squadron can now upgrade to Georges and Jacks! I had relegated my Zero squadrons to rear area defenses and training. But now it looks like those squadrons will be useful again once I can get enough planes built. (I had to expand my production quite a bit since I was not expecting to be able use that many Georges and Jacks.)

I've looked through your updated list on the first page of this discussion and I can't seem to be able to find where you state these changes.

Thanks -

The MTBs was a bug. Building the ships use to get stuck on one day delay or 16 days or such. So switching to the beta often dumps a load of queued 'supply for ships' into the game.
Upgrade of the Zero has nothing to do with the code. That is controlled by the group upgrade paths. However,if you play with user-upgrade, then all bets are basically off.

Michael

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 487
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 1:40:35 AM   
BigDuke66

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Yes daily.
The length of the 'Burma Road' supply is more than the 100 points that '5' key shows, so it can't be used to tell.

Oh and more importantly, the message is in the next build. The one that hasn't been posted yet.

Well I guess that could explain it.

Post #: 488
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:00:37 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADB123

Michael -

quote:

Thanks -

The MTBs was a bug. Building the ships use to get stuck on one day delay or 16 days or such. So switching to the beta often dumps a load of queued 'supply for ships' into the game.
Upgrade of the Zero has nothing to do with the code. That is controlled by the group upgrade paths. However,if you play with user-upgrade, then all bets are basically off.

I'm cap_and_gown's opponent. I had no idea that his Zero squadrons were restricted before. Maybe that was a bug and it's now gone? Dunno.

Post #: 489
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:02:15 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I've read-up on this beta patch, and it looks stable to me. I want to upgrade our PBEM game, can anyone see a problem with that?

All total I've played about a bit short of 2 months of turns in PBM with the Beta. I felt confident enough in it to recommend that we upgrade to another PBM opponent ina game that we have up to end of February 1944. Never any guarantees of course, but I say go for it!

< Message edited by witpqs -- 4/29/2011 2:03:03 AM >

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 490
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 4:15:50 AM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi Michael,

I have been playing with the last 4 or 5 versions of the beta and first I want to say great stuff and thanks.

With the latest k9 I am seeing something I haven't seen with AE up until K9 (I installed K8, but never had a chance to play until K9 came out and I don't recall seeing this with K7.

Anyway, the game now always wants to be in the upper left-hand of my monitor.  If I drag the game window to the middle of the monitor, when it updates a screen it draws a large white box beginning at the upper, left-hand side of the screen bounds buy the lower, right-hand corner of the current position of the game window.  This white area may or may no blink a few times and then the game window jumps to the upper, left-hand corner of the screen.

I don't see this with stock, nor with earlier versions of the K series.

I haven' made any changes to the computer in the last few days, so I wanted to report this.

thanks,

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 491
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 5:23:46 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Michael: Small thing that I think is an old problem, but I noticed Combat Engineer '43 devices can't be paradropped (i.e. too big for a C-47). No biggie if it doesn't get fixed and I don't know what the proper solution would be, but since you're fixing so many other things...

EDIT: Just to be clear, some para units have these combat engineers and they stay behind in a fragment.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 4/29/2011 5:26:36 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 492
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 11:10:45 AM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

All total I've played about a bit short of 2 months of turns in PBM with the Beta. I felt confident enough in it to recommend that we upgrade to another PBM opponent ina game that we have up to end of February 1944. Never any guarantees of course, but I say go for it!

Thank you witpqs for your answer, I had suspected this beta was stable, and now you have reassured me. So I will now go with this Patch for our new PBEM.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 493
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 12:08:05 PM   
ny59giants

I have the Beta installed in three games and find it very stable. Yes, there may be a minor glitch here and there, but Michaelm usually has it fixed by the next version. He has been putting them out about every weekend for the last month plus. Thanks Michael!!

I have John 3rd convinced to install it for his game, but he needs to sell it for his opponent. While talking with him and showing him some of the features, I learned how to left click on destroyed ground units and then exit that window to see how many PP it would cost to get that unit to be available for rebuilding.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 494
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:00:32 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

Hi Michael,

I have been playing with the last 4 or 5 versions of the beta and first I want to say great stuff and thanks.

With the latest k9 I am seeing something I haven't seen with AE up until K9 (I installed K8, but never had a chance to play until K9 came out and I don't recall seeing this with K7.

Anyway, the game now always wants to be in the upper left-hand of my monitor.  If I drag the game window to the middle of the monitor, when it updates a screen it draws a large white box beginning at the upper, left-hand side of the screen bounds buy the lower, right-hand corner of the current position of the game window.  This white area may or may no blink a few times and then the game window jumps to the upper, left-hand corner of the screen.

I haven' made any changes to the computer in the last few days, so I wanted to report this.

thanks,

Did you remember to copy your switches over to the new shortcut? I forgot to once.

The Moose

Post #: 495
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:13:26 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Bullwinkle58:

That was a great idea, but for the fact that I haven't modified any switches (yet).  I want to start playing around with the resolution settings, but with so many other things to learn about AE, I didn't open that particular can of worms. 

The only switch is the -w, but that is set up by the patch installer and has been there on all of the patches I have used.

Thanks,

< Message edited by Major SNAFU -- 4/29/2011 2:14:25 PM >

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

One ping to link them;

Post #: 496
Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 - Replacement Pilots - 4/29/2011 2:21:09 PM   
PaxMondo

Replacement Pilots

So got suspicious about the replacement pilot pool, so I setup a test.  Modded so that I could pull a LOT of pilots. 

First I pulled all of the pilots out of the pool.  Ran a turn.  Then I pulled another +300 IJN pilots into training squadrons.  No change in pool numbers.  Ran the turn to see if any change.  None.

This picture is the from after the +300 pull, but the "before" screen is identical except that it is the 15 Jan 42.

Shouldn't the number of pilots have dropped? looks like I'm getting free pilots here ....

I ran this in K7, K8, and K9.

Michael: savegame available, but if you still have one of the saves I've sent you with a game date of before ~20Jan you can run this test. Look at Hiroshima squadrons and just fill them up. If you need another save, just let me know.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 4/29/2011 2:27:24 PM >

Pax

Post #: 497
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:30:11 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Bullwinkle58:

That was a great idea, but for the fact that I haven't modified any switches (yet).  I want to start playing around with the resolution settings, but with so many other things to learn about AE, I didn't open that particular can of worms. 

The only switch is the -w, but that is set up by the patch installer and has been there on all of the patches I have used.

Thanks,

Well, it was a shot.

FWIW, you may want to try the -altFont switch if you have eyes older than 21-YO. I've used it since early WITP and it reduces strain markedly for me. Doesn't play with resolutions or any of the other complex switchology topics like multi-cores. It just makes every screen easier.

The Moose

Post #: 498
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:31:45 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I'm cap_and_gown's opponent. I had no idea that his Zero squadrons were restricted before. Maybe that was a bug and it's now gone? Dunno.

Witpqs,

I don't think so. In stock, the George is NOT a carrier capable aircraft so AFAIK it cannot be used in a "zero" squadron. What I have done in my personal mod (and I have read many others doing the same) to enable this upgrade is to mod the George so that it is carrier capable and then add a house rule that states the George can only be transported by CV, not operated off of them. I haven't read any other solution in the forums ...

Pax

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 499
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:49:07 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

Hi Michael,

thanks,

Don't know what would becausing that. It would be a directx thing, but nothing has been changed in that area for zonks.
My game shows in the middle when playing normal window mode.
I noticed a large Windows update come in recently. I remenber we had trouble with some things last lime Microsoft did a big update on us.

Michael

Post #: 500
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 - Replacement... - 4/29/2011 2:52:43 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Replacement Pilots

So got suspicious about the replacement pilot pool, so I setup a test.  Modded so that I could pull a LOT of pilots. 

First I pulled all of the pilots out of the pool.  Ran a turn.  Then I pulled another +300 IJN pilots into training squadrons.  No change in pool numbers.  Ran the turn to see if any change.  None.

This picture is the from after the +300 pull, but the "before" screen is identical except that it is the 15 Jan 42.

Shouldn't the number of pilots have dropped? looks like I'm getting free pilots here ....

Michael: savegame available, but if you still have one of the saves I've sent you with a game date of before ~20Jan you can run this test. Look at Hiroshima squadrons and just fill them up. If you need another save, just let me know.

what was the experience rating of those pilots?

Michael

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 501
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 2:57:45 PM   
drw61

Michael
Suggestion - To make managing device pools easier it would be nice to be able to sort this screen by nationality. (I could then select only the CW devices and turn them off)
Thanks for your excellent support!
Daryl

Attachment (1)

Post #: 502
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 - Replacement... - 4/29/2011 3:13:40 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Replacement Pilots

what was the experience rating of those pilots?

The incoming ones to the squadrons? ~20 exp which is what I would expect. So, I cannot tell if it is a reporting screen issue or not.

Pax

Post #: 503
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 3:37:28 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

Michael
Suggestion - To make managing device pools easier it would be nice to be able to sort this screen by nationality. (I could then select only the CW devices and turn them off)
Daryl

I was thinking of that (or adding nationality filter) myself but thought that it might not be as useful.

Michael

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 504
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 4:14:27 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Bullwinkle58:

Thanks,

Well, it was a shot.

FWIW, you may want to try the -altFont switch if you have eyes older than 21-YO. I've used it since early WITP and it reduces strain markedly for me. Doesn't play with resolutions or any of the other complex switchology topics like multi-cores. It just makes every screen easier.

Thanks. I'll try if only if I don't have to sign something saying how long I have been playing wargames. But I will admit to purchasing a copy of Victory in the Pacific from Avalon Hill, 1st addition soon after the game was released... I still love to get it out, set it up and play.

One ping to link them;

Post #: 505
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108j (build03) - 4/29/2011 4:49:39 PM   
inqistor

quote:

In some places the ARM points were number of devices times device's load cost.
For squad like devices, it should be ARM points equal to number of devices.

The first method is the cost to build a non-vehicle non-squad device.

So now every squad uses always only ONE Armament Point? Well, that could allow giving REAL weight for cavalry.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Michael: Small thing that I think is an old problem, but I noticed Combat Engineer '43 devices can't be paradropped (i.e. too big for a C-47). No biggie if it doesn't get fixed and I don't know what the proper solution would be, but since you're fixing so many other things...

EDIT: Just to be clear, some para units have these combat engineers and they stay behind in a fragment.

Are you sure of that? drops are treated somewhere different, than transport (there was problem with 47mm AT guns in WITP, where you could drop them from any plane, but pick them up only with really large), and squads are treated even differently (I have modified squad with over 20 weight, and it drops normally). I actually can not see any Allied Combat Engineer squad even as big, as infantry. All are smaller.

quote:

Replacement Pilots

So got suspicious about the replacement pilot pool, so I setup a test. Modded so that I could pull a LOT of pilots.

First I pulled all of the pilots out of the pool. Ran a turn. Then I pulled another +300 IJN pilots into training squadrons. No change in pool numbers. Ran the turn to see if any change. None.

It is the same in stock. I have wrote about it earlier. Pilots seems to be "produced" exactly as in WITP, with comparable statistics, no matter of nationality. Actually it is easy to check, just fire up some GC Scenario. You can get pilots for Dutch (which is supposed to be 0), or you can click a while, and fill up Chinese, or Soviet squadrons (they have more capacity, than pools). I thought, that it comes from first side slot, as I have there smaller number, than in the rest, but it is probably only unlucky random generation.

Post #: 506
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 4:53:27 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

Michael
Daryl

I was thinking of that (or adding nationality filter) myself but thought that it might not be as useful.

Oh, THREAD!!! yes!!! That would be fantastic!

I'm an Allied device managing geek at heart.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 507
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/29/2011 8:42:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Witpqs,

I don't think so. In stock, the George is NOT a carrier capable aircraft so AFAIK it cannot be used in a "zero" squadron. What I have done in my personal mod (and I have read many others doing the same) to enable this upgrade is to mod the George so that it is carrier capable and then add a house rule that states the George can only be transported by CV, not operated off of them. I haven't read any other solution in the forums ...

Hmm. But if a squadron is upgraded to a non-carrier capable plane, it won't be able to operate from CVs then, right?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 508
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/30/2011 2:15:50 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

Michael
Daryl

I would love this feature. However, I do not think it is possible. The device tab does not have a nationality field. It has a "side" field. So, you can filter on Japanese or Allied. But, the game already does this, since you can't see the other side's device pools.

Michael would have to add a field to the editor, then update all the OOB's for all the scenarios to add this feature. While I'd love it, I doubt it's on the top of the list. I could just be a pessimist.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 509
RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April - 4/30/2011 2:27:47 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

Michael
Daryl

I would love this feature. However, I do not think it is possible. The device tab does not have a nationality field. It has a "side" field. So, you can filter on Japanese or Allied. But, the game already does this, since you can't see the other side's device pools.

Michael would have to add a field to the editor, then update all the OOB's for all the scenarios to add this feature. While I'd love it, I doubt it's on the top of the list. I could just be a pessimist.

I think you are right - "Devices" have no nationality.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 06 - Public Beta - Build 1108k9 updated 24 April Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI