Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The short life of the Dhayut Overmind

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> The short life of the Dhayut Overmind Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 2/21/2011 6:45:54 PM   
Wreck

I decided to play a mostly hands-off game, to try to tease out an interesting way to use DW. So I chose the Dhayut (love those warriors, and the general distaste from other races). I controlled by ship designs, and I could give orders to one planet per year, no more than 4 ships at a base and one at the planet. So I sat back to see what would happen.

My first year's order is to build four scouts, and a colony ship. The scouts are finished quickly and zoom off to explore.

Quickly the AI pisses off most of the neighbors with spies, and gets into a local war, but that's OK. "I" am winning the war, more or less, although mostly just noodling around as the AI does.

One of my automated explorers finds the Desolation Moon! Interesting. And lo! My AI sends out a repair ship to work on it!

The war ends with me up two planets. Another minor war begins.

The Desolation Moon is finished! Hmm, means I should easily win the war, right? Well, no -- it jets off into the enemy rear, and starts blowing up planets! Boom! Woo... neat effect. Now it occurs to me wonder how the galaxy likes me doing that -- seems like it might annoy them. Check diplomacy... and I was right. Everyone is sour on me. The Moon keeps going. Boom! Another planet. Everyone dislikes me. Boom! War declared. War declared. Boom! Boom! Soon I am at war with half the galaxy. The Moon keeps rolling. Targets everywhere! Let's blow up a gas mine, good idea!! Now another planet. Boom! War declared. War declared.

Soon I am hated as the ultimate evil by everyone in the galaxy, with negative modifiers in the hundreds down to below -200, IIRC. Every other empire is at war with me.

I give up on the game, but I follow the Moon to see how long it can run. Eventually it stupidly charges a large starbase with two defensive bases, and gets whacked.

Moral of the story: do not let the AI control the Desolation Moon.
Post #: 1
RE: The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 2/21/2011 7:31:47 PM   
Data

desolating end but lesson learned

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Wreck)
Post #: 2
RE: The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 2/22/2011 12:51:00 AM   
Larsenex

Pure comedy!

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 2/22/2011 3:38:24 PM   
Wreck

I played another game with similar setup last night.  Except this time, I put the attacks on "Ask me".  And I got the Desolation Moon again.  I took control of fleet formation for a second to put it in a fleet by itself (by hand), so I could track it more easily.  So what happens?  I am continually being asked, "Can we go blow up a planet?  Everyone will hate us!"  I say No to every request.  And the Moon mostly just sits around.  It does not attack the enemy fleet.  It did ask to attack a few pirate bases (which I said Yes to).  Meanwhile, my main fleet is just sitting around. 

I am guessing the Moon is my most powerful fleet, and I guess the code is checking your most powerful fleet for the attacks it can do first.  For some reason, secondary fleets are rarely checked.  So, mostly I was doing nothing.  I did try giving the Moon orders to i.e. go an attack a gas mine.  Occasionally then my secondary fleet would ask me to attack something.   So maybe it gets checked when the primary fleet is already busy?

Next time, I'll try creating a fleet from the Moon and a bunch of assault ships.  Then maybe it will ask me about actually taking a planet.

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 4
RE: The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 2/24/2011 1:20:50 PM   
Bingeling

This explains the urge to have the main fleet able to bust huge planetary defenses run half across the galaxy to bust some mining base.

It picks the large fleet first as long as it is not on a mission, and ignore lesser, closer and still able fleets for the task. The AI is not a "right tool for the job" kind of guy.

(in reply to Wreck)
Post #: 5
RE: The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 2/24/2011 1:54:41 PM   
Data

AI not the right tool for the job? noooo

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: The short life of the Dhayut Overmind - 3/16/2011 7:53:57 PM   
cookie monster

I just had to attack a Kiadian construction ship to stop him from repairing Desolation Moon.

I then placed my own CS there.

Didnt do my rep with the Kiadian's any good but we still have a free trade agreement.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> The short life of the Dhayut Overmind Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI