Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 4:47:13 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Hmm, no, Mynok Sabre and PDH said the carpet defence can be broken in ONE turn. Just because 2ndACR -and possibly many players- doesn't know how to defeat it (yet) this does not mean it is a sophisticated defence

Sabre, MUCH more experienced than me (a mere noob) said you need various defensive lines to really slow a competent German player down.

And it makes sense. Think about the mega hordes I'm using in these carpets... IF this carpet can be defeated in ONE turn (and as I have said both Sabre and PDH said so) then this means one thing: you are lost. Because all the eggs are in one basket. There's basically nothing behind the carpet.

Which means I have to learn this defensive technique. And presto

Well, I still think a carpet defence can be very useful here and there. A last stand for example, like in Leningrad on my game.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/6/2011 4:48:18 AM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 571
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 7:25:43 AM   
cpt flam

you'd better know that liberating a city
it will have 100 damage & repair by 1 a turn (at 1st glance)
quite a long run before becoming operationnal

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 572
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 9:18:16 AM   
karonagames

Question answered in the Kryptonite thread.

It's only a Game

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 573
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 6:18:08 PM   
Encircled

I really want to know how he's kept his army with such high numbers, and yet still managed to counter attack pretty much every chance he gets?

What is the secret, Tullius?

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 574
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 6:31:48 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

I really want to know how he's kept his army with such high numbers, and yet still managed to counter attack pretty much every chance he gets?

What is the secret, Tullius?

Hmm, not sure there's some secret It's very simple. I think that it's all about concentrating my forces. This is by the way one of the most basic principles of war. In a nuclear era war this is obviously a suicide but in WW2 it's still perhaps rule #1 In other words, I want to hit hard, with overwhelming forces. Same thing when I defend.

I have a big army simply because I haven't allowed my opponent to destroy it. That is my objective #3 (after Moscow and Leningrad, in that order).

EDIT: and don't forget that when you see I'm very strong in x place, I'm very weak in y and z places. The key? You have to know where you NEED to be stong and where you can afford to be weak

EDIT 2: and everything I did is on this AAR.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/6/2011 6:37:05 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 575
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 9:19:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Encircled, now the Red Army has 5,2 million soldiers But the fact that I concentrate my forces may create this illusion: that I have lots of hordes (when you see this concentration that is). That might explain why you seem to be "surprised".

Anyway, having 5 million men just before the blizzard has to be bad news for my opponent, if I remember correctly

Post #: 576
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 9:48:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok, I massively attacked the two German divisions but they held LOL!

And Vatutin and Tolbukhin had been appointed as bosses of the two armies that were attacking And Zhukov had been appointed as Boss-in-Chief of the Southwestern Front!

Morale of the story?

I should start a UTTER MADNESS thread full of vitriol!

Nah... when they said the CV is divided by 8 during the mud... they were not kidding

The good thing is that next turn is snow. Yes, this means the bulldog (the Tom & Jerry analogy that is) will not be tied anymore... and he should be chasing Tom (that is me) But maybe I will have that extra turn that might definitely kill (or NOT) these brave German soldiers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 577
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 9:53:36 PM   
cookie monster

Stupid eh! I bet they were outnumbered 10-1 and all.

Post #: 578
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 9:57:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Motorized division has been totally surrounded. I only attacked with 2 units (no MPs left) to sort of soften them. They obviously held.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 579
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 9:58:51 PM   
Klydon

Probably got some fellow by the name of Hermann Custer running things in that pocket or something.. 

I wonder if he has enough forces nearby left to be able to beat the Russians back where he can get to those guys or has just written them off.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 580
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 10:02:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Cookie Monster, no, more a 5:1 2ndACR has been of course airdropping kartoffel and choucroute What a silly thing to do he should have airdropped Iron Crosses instead! They are heroes now. Food? That's for sissies

Attachment (1)

Post #: 581
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 10:06:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Klydon, maybe I have this extra turn

Oh, if he is sending a 7th Cavalry thing from the south that might help to protect Stalino. But I really doubt I will be holding this town even without the panzers

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/6/2011 10:13:07 PM >

Post #: 582
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 11:39:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 99,98% done. I forgot I could do many hasty attacks against the surrounded divisions. Yes, my men will be tired but I wanted to soften the target. Before the attacks the CV was 2=6. Now it's 1=2. That might make the difference on next turn. Maybe

Attachment (1)

Post #: 583
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/6/2011 11:43:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, and the 1st Shock Army is here I have bought many support units, as you can see. I will attach minimum some Guards divisions (right now I have three) and of course the leader will be a good commander, not the incompetent moron now in charge.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/6/2011 11:44:09 PM >

Post #: 584
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/7/2011 12:14:47 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

you'd better know that liberating a city
it will have 100 damage & repair by 1 a turn (at 1st glance)
quite a long run before becoming operationnal

Sorry, I forgot to comment his

Well, then the game is not simulating the real war here. The objective of the '44 campaign in the south was liberating places economically important. The Soviets didn't wait until 1946 to put these reconquered areas to good use. So maybe an offensive in the south (blizzard offensive) should simply push the enemy. Oh well.

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 585
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/7/2011 1:13:22 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 22

13 november 1941

YESSSSS!! Mwhahahahahahahahahaha

The two German Infantry Divisions are finally in the bag...! I thought I would not make it... The bulldog almost caught me

So after all Operation "Watch Out! Monsters Under Your Bed" was 100% successful. Oh, and I wanted to know who runs faster in the mud... German infantry or Soviet cavalry... Obviously the latter

Attachment (1)

Post #: 586
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/7/2011 1:16:22 AM   
cookie monster

Well done!

But I guess we'll be seeing them again in six weeks, next time they'll be Noobs.

Post #: 587
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/7/2011 1:16:25 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Someone is going to work really hard somewhere deep in Siberia or in the Arctic

Attachment (1)

Post #: 588
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/8/2011 2:36:02 PM   
TulliusDetritus

For the very first time since I started the game I am not sending the newly arrived units to the front (and I did that because that's a luxury the Soviets cannot afford during the Blitzkrieg: the fascist hordes threaten to swallow Mother Russia, you need everything to stop them) So I'm following the manual and on the last 2 turns have kept these units far from the enemy. I send them mostly to big cities and dots (small locations), far from the font line. Hmm, I can see the morale is increasing much faster!

Post #: 589
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/8/2011 3:03:59 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I am reorganzing the airforce as well. I only had obsolete planes in the front. Now I am sending all these planes to the National Reserve (their morale and experience are high so they might be ready to come back with upgraded MODERN machines) and bringing modern machines. I put my fighters in the IAD bases. So now every front will have (in 1 IAD base when it's possible):

MiG-3s = two units
LaGG-3s = two units
Yak-1s = two units

Total = 6 units

The most abundant production is of MiG-3s and LaGG-3s: I have 1.469 and 1.041 right now in the pool (and only 239 Yak-1s) So in fact I guess I could be upgrading many units with obsolete planes to these modern machines.

Post #: 590
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/8/2011 7:52:45 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Air reorganization takes time

Now it's almost 99,87% done though

Soooo... I visited the wiki thing and found many interesting advices there. I have done exactly what is said there. One SAD for night tactical bombers and another SAD for IL-2s. Both have to be near the front. One BAD with two Il-4s units, two SB-2s units and two Pe-2s units. They are not near the front. Oh, and I attached one fighter bomber unit (obsolete planes) to this BAD. Protection duties. In theory they should be intercepting Axis bombers if they want to bomb this BAD thing.

Now all the Air Commanders' air ratings are MINIMUM 5. Most of them are 6 or even 7. In other words: incompetents out!

Post #: 591
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/8/2011 9:23:54 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok. No big changes in Leningrad area so no need of screenshot. As for the Northwest Front: as I said his panzers have more or less left the area, looking for shelter, no doubt. Chickens!

He had also retreated his infantry 2 or 3 hexes... Hehehehehe, if he thinks that is going to save him from my hordes during the blizzard... So I have obviously advanced all my lines. If he retreats again, I will advance again and so on and so on I want to start the blizzard massac... er, attacks sorry, next to him.

The 8 and 27 armies cover the whole front. The 11 is behind. And on next turn the Volkhov Front will be available too! On this same area, south of Lake Ilmen. 3 armies already assigned: one of them the 1st Shock with one Guards Rifle Division in it

Attachment (1)

Post #: 592
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/8/2011 9:44:39 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, I am retreating and concentrating the cavalry in 3-units stacks to form let's say around ten Cavalry Corps on december.

Post #: 593
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 3:04:24 AM   
mmarquo

Do not forget to organize the VVS airfields with the night flyers. Also, for grins I place 1 ski/1 engineer/1 AA/4 Art/2 RR construction SUs/Army Hq - what potion are you trying?

Marquo

Post #: 594
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 3:19:01 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Yes, the transport planes in the VVS bases only fly night missions. In fact on this turn I have assigned big bombers TB-3 or something like that to these bases (night mission), so they should deliver supplies to partisans too.

Oh, ALL my armies (even the ones that arrived this turn: 60, 62, etc.) have a LOT of support, since the beginning of the game

Minimum:
4 x artillery
2 x sapper Bns
3 x RR Bdes

Some of them get as well
Mortar
TD Batery
Ski thing
Katiushas

Support is not a problem. I'm paying a LOT of attention to this

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 595
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 6:24:09 AM   
randallw

One fighter unit to protect an air base is not a lot. 

Post #: 596
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 1:56:00 PM   
mmarquo

How does the CAP work anyway? I am not sure the the fighter at the base really protects the base - or if the CAP happens from fighters at multiple base which theorectically stage smoewhere and then try to protect the airfiled under attack. Any insights?

Marquo

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 597
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 2:33:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok... now that part of his panzers in the south were diverted to obviously try to help the two trapped German divisions --desperate operation which obviously did not work -- I am launching a very small operation in the south. As you may imagine I am trying to save Stalino! So I am throwing some units through his lines: yes, there is a GAP.

If I well understood blizzard starts on turn 24. Is that correct? Soooo, if that's true he's only got ONE more turn and then... HE will be the one having ANTS If he does not pay attention to these nasty infiltrators he might have some er... "problems".

We will see

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 598
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 2:37:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In theory I already have planes which should be intercepting any enemy attack: the 6 units in my IAD base. The fighter unit I am placing in this BAD thing is simply an extra. I don't know if this will make any difference.

Post #: 599
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/9/2011 3:57:36 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

If I well understood blizzard starts on turn 24. Is that correct?

Turn 25, mate.

Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI