Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 5:41:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In Leningrad area I am massing my units in the frontline. Notice the defensive lines (a new one: southeast direction). There will be of course another defensive line along the Luga River.

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 661
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 7:05:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Volkhov and Northwest Fronts. More massed butchers. I guess the panzers in the north have to be in Pskov area. The poor things I will have to make place for the Volkhov Front, especially for its 1st Shock Army. The truth is everyone wants to smash the Germans so...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/23/2011 7:06:41 PM >

Post #: 662
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:40:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Kalinin Front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 663
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:41:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Western Front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 664
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:43:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Bryansk Front.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 665
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:44:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Southwest Front

Attachment (1)

Post #: 666
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:46:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Southern Front

Attachment (1)

Post #: 667
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:48:20 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And Crimea

Attachment (1)

Post #: 668
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 10:54:11 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Several armies had few divisions (especially in the Western and Bryansk Fronts), CP < 15:24. So I brought many Stavka rifle divisions and assigned them to these weak armies. Now minimum CP > 18:24.

On next turn I'll be assigning good leaders to Front HQs, if that's possible. And let's see what happens. Never did the Winter Offensive before, so mystery mystery

I also have formed 3-units stacks with Cavalry divisions, to start forming Cavalry Corps on december.

Post #: 669
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/23/2011 11:37:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, as for Big Anorak's rule, I have to be very clear on one thing. This is what BA himself said:

"If the Sovs can 'only' make 20-30 attacks with 4 fronts, I
would give them a bit more flexibility - remember, less than 45 retreats
per turn and the Axis are 'winning' the blizzard; 60+ and they will be crucified"

So I'll be using his rule + this addenda I did not fabricate it. BA did.

Example: with 4 fronts I can only make let's say 38 attacks. I would make MORE attacks with other fronts (up to let's say 52, and that's a maximum of attacks). BUT these extra attacks will NOT be followed by a movement of troops: these "extra" troops will NOT occupy enemy positions that is.

Post #: 670
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 6:28:42 AM   
76mm

You're using the house rule with 1.04? The patch already makes the Germans much stronger, using the house rule just gives them an additional advantage.

Post #: 671
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 6:32:48 AM   
randallw

Maybe play one or two blizzard turns with the house rules and see if they are necessary or not.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 672
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 11:38:00 AM   
76mm

I don't think they were necessary under 1.03, much less 1.04, but I guess it is up to them...

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 673
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 2:08:57 PM   
mmarquo

TD -

You need the houserule as much as you need Axis troops in Rodina...

No houserule

Marquo

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 674
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 4:20:54 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Humm, I trust Big Anorak I will use it, sorry. I don't want to ahistorically destroy my opponent during the blizzard. I want to take Berlin on 1945

But of course if I were not using the addenda I would be a moron: according to Big Anorak the Axis would be winning. And they should NOT win. They must get some.

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 675
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 8:46:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 25

4 december 1941

LOL, this seems to be a massacre. Now he's got A N T S. Serves him right

Soooo. Leningrad Front is one of my 4 active fronts (as per BA's rule). Which means I will be able to occupy enemy positions AFTER attacking and forcing him to retreat. Which has been obviously done

If I well understood the hardest part is now: enemy units are in fortified places... but if I manage to dislodge them from these hexes, soon or late he will run out of such fortifications. And then that should lead -if I well understood- to the utter massacres everyone has been talking about when the blizzard issue was raised.

7 attacks in this area so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 676
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 8:48:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, one more thing. I can see now the RR brigades can repair damaged rail lines NEXT to the enemy. This is new. With 1.03 my RR brigades could not repair these hexes and therefore I could not save the Armaments Industy in Stalino I want to assassinate someone ...

Post #: 677
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 9:21:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, and to avoid misunderstandings. A non active Front CAN occupy enemy hexes. But of course only the BUFFER hexes: the hexes that he is leaving between his forces and mine (trade space for time strategy). If I were not doing that then I could not do the minimum number of attacks. And above all it would be irrational: if he gives up territory I must occupy it (if I want to do it that is)

So, I will not be occupying the hexes already occupied by enemy forces which were forced to retreat and the hexes behind his frontline.

On this screenshot, let's imagine the Bryansk Front is not "activated". The buffer hexes can be occupied, but NOT the hexes behind his frontline.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 678
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 9:37:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

On this example, Kalinin Front is NOT an active front. I attacked an enemy unit (I can make up to 52 attacks, remember) which was forced to retreat. But I am NOT allowed to occupy the empty hex

Attachment (1)

Post #: 679
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 11:13:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok, if I counted well I did 47 attacks. No attacks left. Now I have 11 Cavalry Corps

My 4 Active Fronts this turn were:

- Leningrad (I occupied enemy hexes)
- Bryansk
- Southwest (I occupied enemy hexes)
- Southern (I occupied enemy hexes)

Post #: 680
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/24/2011 11:26:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I really am a history freak I had already the 1st Shock Army assigned to the Volkhov Front. Then the 2nd arrived this turn. And then I just remembered that the Shock Army assigned to this front was the 2nd (its boss Blasov became famous when captured)... The 1st Shock did fight in the center.

So what have I done? I have assigned the 2nd to the Volkhov Front and the 1st to Stavka (its divisions have been of course assigned to the 2nd). In other words, I have been forced to spend APs. Am I a moron? YES. But I can't help it, I'm a history freak!

Post #: 681
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 2:31:32 AM   
mmarquo

TD -

The new patch allows defensive SU and reserve defense committments - this has really changed the complexion of the blizzard; have you noticed any of these "commmittements" yet?

Post #: 682
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 6:52:01 AM   
randallw

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Oh, one more thing. I can see now the RR brigades can repair damaged rail lines NEXT to the enemy. This is new. With 1.03 my RR brigades could not repair these hexes and therefore I could not save the Armaments Industy in Stalino

Is this supposed to happen? I read most of the notes for the 1.04 patch but it seems kind of against logic that RR or construction units would put themselves so close to danger.

Post #: 683
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 12:58:52 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Marquo, yes, I have seen it hmm twice I think this turn. Tank brigades (on reserve mode) were sent to reinforce attacks.

Randall, but now it's possible Well, it's war. If some units refuse to go to 2 or 3 hexes behind the front... there's always the NKVD firing squad...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 684
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 1:05:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And by the way, I got Big Anorak's addenda WRONG. It's not "less then 45 attacks etc etc". It's 45 RETREATS...

Post #: 685
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 1:09:02 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
Well, it's war. If some units refuse to go to 2 or 3 hexes behind the front... there's always the NKVD firing squad...

But those units are not next to the enemy? I am pretty sure the RRCBs always did that...

Post #: 686
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 1:32:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

76mm, me too

Well, I keep reorganizing. All the armies had 1 Tank Brigade. But given that I have plenty of them now each army will have 2. As I said now I have 11 Cavalry Corps. Either I assign some of them to Army or Front HQs. The rest to Stavka.

Now there are only 16 Cavalry Divisions. I will assign them to Front HQs.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 687
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 2:02:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

More organization thing. I am basically imitating what the Soviets did in the real war (strategy, etc.). So, I want to simulate the reserves thing as well. In the real thing there were Stavka, Front and Army Reserves.

Armies: each army will have one division on reserve mode.

Fronts: each front should have between 2 and 3 divisions minimum attached to this HQ. NOT on reserve mode though. They will be "reserves" because when a frontline division is for example depleted (because of combat) I will send it to the rear to refit AND then one of those "Front Reserve Divisions" will replace it. Rinse and repeat. These reserves can of course be used to reinforce a critical place as well.

Stavka: obvious, so no need of comment.

Post #: 688
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 2:14:50 PM   
76mm

11 cavalry corps, that's great. I think I only had 2, it was a big mistake.

Post #: 689
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 4/25/2011 2:22:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

More organization thing I have plenty of Rifle Brigades. Yes, most of them -along with the Fortified Regions- will be forming the defensive lines behind my fronts (the '42 summer defensive campaign that is). BUT I would like to save brigades and assign 1 to each army on RESERVE mode.

76mm, I was convinced to form Cavalry Corps. Yes, I think it's a good idea.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI