Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/20/2011 11:35:55 PM   
Klydon

He seems to like to do things en-mass. Retreat a ton, put a lot of troops in your face, etc. Certainly an unusual play style compared to many Russians I have seen.

I didn't like the pull back up by Leningrad. He had a fairly good fort line in your face and as you can see the Luga line is probably not as far along on fortifications as he would have liked. I would have gone checkerboard there and in the swamps just to slow your advance down and also threaten 3 PG's northern flank, but he pulled it all back allowing you to get half the distance to Leningrad in 1 turn although your infantry is not up there yet. He also made it easier on 18th army up by Narva where he was 3 deep in nasty terrain in level 3 forts by pulling troops out, although I supposed he may have been concerned with getting cut off.

Be interesting how all this shakes out.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 121
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/21/2011 2:13:38 AM   
Mynok

You won't move that 3 stack in the Crimea. Move to the east and get the single unit (assuming you've done your recon).

< Message edited by Mynok -- 3/21/2011 2:14:18 AM >

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 122
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/21/2011 3:47:04 AM   
2ndACR

This time all the screen shots are after all recon has been done.

Yes, I would have had to stop until the swamp was cleared if he would have stayed. I was already at the end of my infantry rope and could not advance further with 2 exposed flanks.

On the 3 stack, the 3 German div north of there are going to head that direction and come down. I thought about stacking close to the 3 stack and deliberate attack and then shift the troops around to get another deliberate with fresh troops. But I still don't think it would work. I have been mulling it over in my head. This is where I need a few extra German Div now.

Almost time for my fresh Panzer Corp, any idea's on where to send them? Would be turn 16 before they arrived up in AGN area. But also the same time frame for the other fronts too. Guess I will see how far AGN can batter it's way in towards Leningrad or the Finns. Leningrad was not an initial target, but forts look weak enough that I might be able to bull my way thru.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 123
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/21/2011 4:53:52 AM   
Klydon

Tough call on the fresh panzer corps. Lot of different places it could go. I think the trick would be to figure out if there is a spot where they can tip the balance. To me, sending them to the middle where things are fairly static and you are not making a big push is not the place to send them. Leningrad area could be interesting and they may or may not tip the balance there. The other entertaining spot could be the Crimea. If you can break in, they could quick strike to loosen up the defenses perhaps where infantry would be plodding pretty slowly, giving him time to bring in re-enforcements if he wants to. This also leaves PG1 to do whatever you want them to do. The other thing to consider would be bring them in along the coast of the Sea of Azov and try to speed up the infantry advance in the far south towards Rostov. 

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 124
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:43:23 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13

Have not updated due to PC issues and work is picking up steam. Averaging 13 hours per day now, so forgive me if I skip a turn or 2 of updates.

Now on to the game....

In the far North, 18th Army continues the slow hammering advance. 1st Panzer now that it hammered a hole across the river for 18th Army, shifts back to the south of the Lake Whatever (you all know which one but I don't). LOL One to close the rest of the hole, trap what I can and support 3rd Panzer. Since Leningrad was not a serious objective, I am running them ragged, but they rested some and have good strength. 2nd Army continues advancing to the East and I have gotten to Novograd.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 125
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:45:19 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13

Here Tillius saw a gap that I stupidly forgot about and it cost me. 3rd Panzer got isolated but is back in supply and 1st Panzer has arrived back on the scene to support and trap what I can. Dumb mistake on my part and nice move by Tillius.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 126
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:48:33 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13

Now we have the Central front. Static except for small advances, but things have changed now. Advances made across the front. Small but he seems to have weakened his carpet. And another HUGE mistake on my part, I forgot all about a rail unit for I have no clue how many turns. The thing was sitting about 8 hexes north of Minsk where it was going to curve up towards VL. What a bone headed mistake.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 127
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:52:07 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13 Central Zone 2

Here we have 6th Army stretching across the front line to guard my southern flank while 2nd Panzer rockets back to the west and penetrates his front line. Now he has a choice, either un-hinge his line due west and give that ground up, shift forces to cover 2nd Panzer which if I am lucky will weaken his units facing my infantry or 2nd Panzer is heading due north by north east.

This rail is different, it has crossed the river at Gomel so supply and fuel will arrive in good amounts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 128
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:54:14 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13 Southern Zone 1

Here you can also see 6th Army stretching out along the top and everyone else heading east. Still no serious resistance down here. Fuel and supply is my main issue. That first 3-4 turns really put the hurt on my rail repair. Rail is now across and east of Kiev.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 129
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:56:20 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13 Southern 2

Here we have 1st Panzer Army heading East slowly due to fuel issues and since 6th Army is stretched all along the northern sector, I am lacking infantry support. 17th Army continues heading east and is slowly making progress. No major fighting but everyone is tired. They can rest during the mud.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 130
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 2:58:21 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 13 11th Army

We have breached his Crimea defense. But I cannot advance due to movement points. But I will next turn. Recon shows almost all troops on the line to hold those 3 hexes. I busted 1 and routed 2 units, so I cross next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 131
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 3:01:51 AM   
2ndACR

And finally, my newly arrived Panzer Corp heads to the front. Either they will deploy to the Crimea and help sweep that flank clean, or they will move to help clear Stalino area.

Due to his heavy presence up north and in the Center, I expect to find this is my heavy pressed area come winter. But it is also the perfect place everyone should push, especially along the mountain area. The lack of populated towns offer no protection against the blizzard. I have a plan for the winter though, will it work, who knows.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 132
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 9:51:38 PM   
2ndACR

Turn 14

Tillius' push in the north will cost him 3 Div, maybe 4 if I can hold. Not much, he did a major pull back from the bulge he created.

In the far north, 18th Army continues pushing towards Leningrad. Slow progress, but I have managed to tie up large Russian troop numbers up here. That was the main objective anyway. Tie up large numbers of troops. I would take the place if he gave me the chance, but am content to just tie them down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 133
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 9:55:07 PM   
2ndACR

Turn 14 North Zone 2

4th Panzer Army and 2nd Army are crossing south of the Lake. Objective, to keep as many forces here as long as I can. It is a long front that will be surrendered come blizzard with little fight. But I firmly believe he will use the mass troops in the north for his primary blizzard attack. Since there are few/no towns that offer protection, he can have it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 134
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 9:58:03 PM   
2ndACR

Turn 14 Central Zone

Here the push is on to shorten my lines prior to winter. 2nd Panzer is steadily pushing north/north east and causing him to un-hinge out of his forts which gives me easier shots at him. I forgot to click a 2nd Panzer infantry div from a stack to cover that exposed flank on the lower right side, but we will see if he shoots into the gap.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 135
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 9:59:44 PM   
2ndACR

Turn 14 Southern Zone 1

The advance continues. 6th Army advances and holds the flank. 1st Panzer Army prepares to head south east for Stalino area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 136
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 10:02:57 PM   
2ndACR

Turn 14 Southern Zone 2

Here we have the Stalino forces. Circled Panzer Corp did a HQ buildup for the push. Far left shows the newly arrived Panzer Corp which will join the push for Stalino. 17th Army will also head in that direction.

Since I feel the winter offensive will come from the north, I plan to shift a lot of southern troops to the large cities off the line and maybe send some to the Central/Northern fronts for winter duty. (Secret Info)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 137
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 10:05:45 PM   
2ndACR

Turn 14 Crimea

11th Army is on the move and 2 Corps are firmly in the Crimea. Recon showed Sevestopol un-defended. If I can just shorten this line some more, even to the Kerch, I will feel much better come winter. If 1st Panzer can grab Stalino in the next 2-3 turns, I will feel even safer come winter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 138
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 10:22:13 PM   
Klydon

Honestly, I would look to commit that new panzer corps to help the Crimea out. If you can get it secure, that would be a big benefit and allow you to reassign 11th army elsewhere to help with either a snow offense or just to shore things up down south. Optionally if you continue with your "south first" strat, you can have the 11th army available to get over the straits. It would also fit to leave the new panzer corps down there to work in conjunction with that as well. If you don't secure the Crimea, then you are looking at having the 11th army stuck there and as has been seen in other AAR's, Russians attacking out of the Crimea is not a pretty sight. 

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 139
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/27/2011 10:41:38 PM   
2ndACR

The only reason I am torn is recon shows nothing down here. Danged near nothing in the south. All detected units are in the Central Zone and up North.

So I am just not sure if I will face Russians out of the Crimea. If I am lucky, I can have Stalino before mud hits and then shift a panzer Corp down there before snow hits to clean out the nest of vipers.

Dang decisions.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 140
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 12:21:51 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 15

3 Major areas of operations this turn. Smolensk, Stalino, Crimea.

In the north, 18th Army continues the bettering ram, 4th Panzer and 2nd Army are across the rivers south of the lake and hammering north. Recon showed a huge carpet of enemy forces around Leningrad. Looks like my decoy operations have worked and he has most of the Russian army up there. Guess he wants to keep it.

No screen shot of the north since things are pretty static.

Smolensk area of operations has roughly 2 Infantry Armies hammering away and advancing on the city. 2nd Panzer is hammering north as well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 141
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 12:25:49 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 15

Stalino front. Here I stuck my neck way out some with 2 Panzer Corps. I managed to cut all the rails to the cities, so unless he can rail industry out over ports, he lost them now. Or until he can repair those rails. Worst case will have me take the cities during the snow.
Massive air lift of fuel to the 2 Panzer Corps'.

17th Army and the Romanians will mount the rescue operations (LOL) when he does the major pull back next turn to protect those cities. Luckily, he has few forces really down here to oppose me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 142
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 12:27:36 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 15

Crimea area, 11th Army continues swinging down to get to Sevestopol by mud. 1 Corp will siege the city and the other will continue to the Kerch along with the Romanian Corp. Another Romanian Corp is in bound with 3 more Div.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 143
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 12:32:00 AM   
2ndACR

Starting to plan out my winter defense, since TD is using BigA's winter idea, I am going to try and use a flexible defense, pulling back 1-2 hexes each turn to try and deny him the deliberate attacks.

I expect the North and the Center to be his main focus. So I am planning to send at least 6 more Infantry Div's to the north and central fronts to help out. I don't expect serious trouble in the south so remaining infantry will be broken down to regiments and strung out along the entire front.

Pray it works.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 144
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 2:46:33 AM   
Mynok

Interesting move at Stalino. Your panzers will be cutoff as he has cav and a tank brigade at the base, but should be easy enough to link back up with in your turn. I'm assuming you dropped fuel on them so they can do something once you put them back in supply. Might be able to finish closing that big pocket and make the south pretty much devoid of anything but what he rails in during his turn.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 145
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 3:10:20 AM   
Klydon

He will have his work cut out to get that mess in the south put completely out of supply. Axis have it a lot tougher to put guys out of supply there. Basically the three towns that are on the rail net are also ports, so they have to be taken to truly "bag" the Russians there, but I agree if he can pull it off, that will pretty much break any defense west of Stalino. Will be tough to get the infantry up that fast and mud is going to be a pita down there real quick.

He will for sure try to gather around your panzers down there. That seems to be something he likes to do by looking at his other AAR and what he has done with you as well in this game.

Pity on Crimea, because I don't know if you are going to be able to take out Sevastopol during the snow or not, because I don't see you getting it before mud sets in. Certainly knocking it off would help a lot.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 146
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 3:14:05 AM   
Mynok

If he puts appropriate support down there, I think he can get it during the snow. We'll see.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 147
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 5:01:25 AM   
2ndACR

I don't think I can grab those ports along the coast. Would love to do it though. I dumped 200 fuel on the farthest Panzer, and 130 on the SS, with 50-75 each on the 2 follow up div's. Would be nice though. I was mainly going to cut off rail from Stalino so he could not evac any industry out. I think I succeeded on that.

The mud has me worried, that worries me a lot actually. I must have talked myself out of and then back into this action 100 times. He will mob my armor, that he loves to do, but luckily, most of his forces down here are ants that have been kicked around a bunch already.

All German units in Crimea have pioneer support. One way or another I will have the place during snow if I have to send another German Corp down there.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 148
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/30/2011 7:26:39 AM   
76mm

Risky move near Stalino, will be interesting to see how it works out.

I'm not sure if I would extend yourself too far to take Stalino, because I doubt you'll be able to hold it during the blizzard. Of course it would be nice to take the cities, especially with industries un-evacced, but not sure if it is worth risking a bunch of panzer divisions...

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 149
RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) - 3/31/2011 2:24:14 AM   
2ndACR

Turn 16

In the north, not much has happened this turn. Almost stagnant now. He is fort 4 across the Leningrad front, and I got to save my troops up there for the winter.

In the Central Zone, Smolensk is temporarily cut off but will be turn 17 before the cut off is set to hold.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: German Folly 2ndAcr (GE) vs Tullius (Reds) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI