Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/12/2011 10:01:48 AM   
Bingeling

As the troop symbol is currently a tank, I guess they have some tanks...

I think one main worry for the developer(s) should be that any new functionality must be fun, relevant and work well. I think expanded ground combat will have a very high risk in the "work well", area.

This of course makes introducing new features more "dangerous", and they need new features to justify another future expansion... It does not look so well with an expansion containing just streamlined ship design screen and improvements to the AI in early research lab construction...

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 31
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/12/2011 11:37:00 AM   
Howard Mitchell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

2.Making each race more unique.I do not buy the fact that all species like would tourism.I think this should be unique to the human species type an example.Different systems for every species would be cool..

I wouldn't limit tourism just to Humans, I think some of the other races such as the Securans would be tourists to.

But the idea of Boskarans saying 'My, what a lovely sunset!' is a bit strange.

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 32
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/12/2011 12:54:00 PM   
Imrryran

No internal politics or factions?

(in reply to Howard Mitchell)
Post #: 33
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/12/2011 2:37:00 PM   
Tampa_Gamer

All 3 votes to Modding Support - which in my mind means (1) externalizing most of the data (e.g. game rules/parameters, components, AI, etc.) along the lines of the Space Empires series, (2) programming the game to first look to the customized folder for potential mods (e.g. data, sound and graphic files to potentially override any of the defaults files), and (3) incorporating a decent mod manager into starting game menu. If that is accomplished, then it will greatly enhance the longevity of this game and empower the modding community to achieve most of the other items in the poll and permit the programmer(s) to focus on programming the "hooks" the modders need to accomplish their goals.

(in reply to Imrryran)
Post #: 34
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/12/2011 2:38:25 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

2.Making each race more unique.I do not buy the fact that all species like would tourism.I think this should be unique to the human species type an example.Different systems for every species would be cool..

Good one. I'll put this in the next poll. This would work just the same as, 'can become a pirate'. Unique race traits/features (can build resorts Y/N).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Imrryran

That's a new for me. We've already got uprisings and civil war (if only we could reunite using diplomacy). And the leaders feature might give way to some internal politics in the future.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 35
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/12/2011 2:47:23 PM   
Igard

There's a clear message revealing itself now. We want new features but not if the AI can't handle them. AI is the most important thing by far as without it, the game will be broken. I might just remove it from the next poll as it could be considered a fundamental and incremental process as each patch is released. Not so much a feature to be focused on. Or I'll just give an additional extra vote.

There's a close battle between personell and components. That's interesting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 36
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 2:45:37 AM   
Balakirev

I bought the game, thinking the very small font and similar colors between foreground text and background were issues any developer would seek to resolve.  They haven't been.  I'd like to see a poll option for readability, but I'm not getting the feeling this is really anything that will ever show up in the game, in any case.  Kudos to the dev team for what they've done, but in all honesty, I'm playing on a wide screen at very high resolution, can't force it lower, and can't play.

< Message edited by Balakirev -- 3/13/2011 2:50:24 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 37
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 3:49:00 AM   
Haree78

I chose 3 but what wasn't on the list is I would like the option to have random 'Galaxy events'. Things that will happen only once per game kind of rare but real game changing stuff. Doesn't need to be 'balanced', it would just make each game unique and have different challenges. Replay value is the key.

Some examples:

A super nova taking out nearby systems.

Some tentacle monster thing coming in to the Galaxy slowly monching on everything in it's path, you would need to attack with Allies to take it out. Maybe even a random planet turns in to it.

Some hulk comes in from another Dimension and begins zombieing or turning Evil planets it 'invades'. The population can never be conquered again, only bombarded/destroyed.

A empire revolution of an AI suddenly makes them hostile to everyone as they are taken over by a mad dictator.

Some ruins that when discovered suddenly activates an automatic defence system (AI ships) that sole purpose is to purge nearby planets and ships.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 38
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 7:36:07 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balakirev

I bought the game, thinking the very small font and similar colors between foreground text and background were issues any developer would seek to resolve.  They haven't been.  I'd like to see a poll option for readability, but I'm not getting the feeling this is really anything that will ever show up in the game, in any case.  Kudos to the dev team for what they've done, but in all honesty, I'm playing on a wide screen at very high resolution, can't force it lower, and can't play.

Why can't you force the resolution lower? You could change the resolution of your desktop, and that should affect the game? Of course, depending on OS this may not be possible, and I have not actually tested it in recent games.

It is no proper solution of course, but a fix one can do.

Customizing ui scale (and font sizes) is a good option to have though. I have a largeish screen and good glasses, so I usually want my fonts and UI elements smaller.

(in reply to Balakirev)
Post #: 39
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 11:10:01 AM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

I chose 3 but what wasn't on the list is I would like the option to have random 'Galaxy events'. Things that will happen only once per game kind of rare but real game changing stuff. Doesn't need to be 'balanced', it would just make each game unique and have different challenges. Replay value is the key.

I like this idea, and the examples you suggested.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 40
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 2:05:14 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

It was my intention to make that sort of thing fall under story/exploration events (random or otherwise). Sorry if this wasn't clear. I'll change it to, More story/exploration/game changing events (small or large) in the next poll.

Great examples, Haree.

< Message edited by Igard -- 3/13/2011 2:07:55 PM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 41
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 2:12:41 PM   
Igard

Not much change. Only 3 votes for mod support in the last day though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 42
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 2:40:02 PM   
Hertston

Any improvements are good, but the biggie for me would be characters/leaders. Nothing gives a 4X game more atmosphere and immersion IMHO, particularly if you can build up experience, promote and fire 'people', and so forth.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 43
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 6:16:46 PM   
AminMaalouf

I would like to see some more economics and trade features but that would require another version of the game.
I have chosen in the poll: ai, map size, components.

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 3/13/2011 6:37:22 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 44
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 6:50:53 PM   
Noble713

1. Mod Support.
2. More Components.
3. Map Creator.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 45
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 7:19:54 PM   
Imrryran

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
quote:

That's a new for me. We've already got uprisings and civil war (if only we could reunite using diplomacy). And the leaders feature might give way to some internal politics in the future.

The ability to incite revolt in other empires through diplomacy would be good for sure. However imho it would still be far from a satisfactory internal politics design. I think the minimal step would be that Paradox proposes a games like EU3.

I suggested it in the wishlist thread but it looks like the compilation maintainer ignored it.

I'm not interested in modding improvements (I don't use mods for DW atm), components (I don't design my ships, I rely on default designs), characters (below the fleet level that would be too much micromanagement to my taste, although sectors governors and fleets admirals could be great if they had their own personal ambitions to manage), ship types (I manage ships only at fleet levels and now that fighters are in I'm happy). However this game sorely lacks internal politics management to make it not only a good game but a great game.

As the biggest strength of DW is the ability to delegate to the IA I'm quite surprised so many people are mostly interested in military side and not in other 4X parts being more detailed. I guess there is a bias in the forum (and in this poll as well) toward wargamers (as a Matrix games forum) and modders (as any hardcore game forum).

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 46
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 7:38:23 PM   
Data

"political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" or some such was the quote

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Imrryran)
Post #: 47
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 9:02:43 PM   
Cvan

I have to agree with Sartre , characters would be awesome. Could give them ability to gain experience and level up, with it making ship more effective (choosing by yourself which aspect of ship to boost). Or different characters with their unique speacialty, like bonus to ship speed or attack, etc...

PS: Probably my idea won't be appreciated by some of you (if not most of you), since it would add to game RPG style. Maybe a bit too drastic change.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 48
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 9:19:44 PM   
Data

I definitly want it also, already wishlisted....have you heard of SR2 (space rangers 2)?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Cvan)
Post #: 49
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 9:24:50 PM   
Cvan

Hahahah yea I played it! Awesome game (though it was hard as hell to me). Now when I think of it there is alot of things that could be somewhat implemented to DW. Would be cool also to see some add-on or expansion that would turn DW into such RPG space simulation!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 50
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 9:34:57 PM   
Imrryran

I advise you to try Crusaders Kings (nobilities, knights, princesses, bishops, etc.) or EU:Rome (generals, governors, senators, etc.) to see what characters can bring to a grand strategy game. ;)

Both these games have design problems, but their characters systems are impressive.

(in reply to Cvan)
Post #: 51
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 9:47:38 PM   
Igard

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ability to incite revolt in other empires through diplomacy would be good for sure. However imho it would still be far from a satisfactory internal politics design. I think the minimal step would be that Paradox proposes a games like EU3.

I suggested it in the wishlist thread but it looks like the compilation maintainer ignored it.

I'm not interested in modding improvements (I don't use mods for DW atm), components (I don't design my ships, I rely on default designs), characters (below the fleet level that would be too much micromanagement to my taste, although sectors governors and fleets admirals could be great if they had their own personal ambitions to manage), ship types (I manage ships only at fleet levels and now that fighters are in I'm happy). However this game sorely lacks internal politics management to make it not only a good game but a great game.

As the biggest strength of DW is the ability to delegate to the IA I'm quite surprised so many people are mostly interested in military side and not in other 4X parts being more detailed. I guess there is a bias in the forum (and in this poll as well) toward wargamers (as a Matrix games forum) and modders (as any hardcore game forum).

You're preaching to the choir here. I totally agree, there needs to be more non-military features.

Alot of suggestions get lost on the wishlist, it's just too big for everyone to read, so don't feel bad that your suggestion has gone unnoticed. I don't think the wishlist comp is maintained anymore either.

I'm not familiar with the polital mechanics of EU3 (I only ever played the first EU). Would this mean that, based on your syle of government, there would be votes/referendums to decide on new legislations that would affect your empire? Because that would be awesome. I'll put this on the next poll, Imrryran. Along with any other suggestions you might have. Keep in mind that I must keep each description brief.

(in reply to Imrryran)
Post #: 52
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 9:57:39 PM   
Merker

Yeah, I'd also LOVE to see more diplomacy and trading options. I mean the scope of the trading and diplomatic parts of the game could be much larger. Like for example, there should be a new class of station called a trade node, that can be placed on long trade routes as a resupply for freighters, or be used to direct the creation of trade routes to your liking, maybe even around that hostile empire between you and your trading partner, or around that pirate-infested nebula.
Not to mention the exploration aspect. Perhaps exploring ruins should take some time, and only resources be visible on the long range scanners. Perhaps more options regarding exploration could be added, like tell the E-ship to focus on finding habitable worlds and not linger in every system, or find fuel sources or other rare resources then tell you about it.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 53
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 10:00:36 PM   
Imrryran

quote:

I'm not familiar with the polital mechanics of EU3 (I only ever played the first EU). Would this mean that, based on your syle of government, there would be votes/referendums to decide on new legislations that would affect your empire? Because that would be awesome.

No, it's still quite basic, with sliders, many events depending on them involving the nobility, the peasants or the church, different types of rebellions, and national decisions that are some sort of laws.

Victoria 2 is much more complex in this respect, with simulated populations, voting for different political parties at elections, the political orientations of parties limiting decisions that can be taken. For instance you can only pass liberal laws if there are enough liberal in the parliament, or if conservative are afraid of popular revolt.

< Message edited by Imrryran -- 3/13/2011 10:01:25 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 54
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 10:04:25 PM   
Imrryran

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merker
Not to mention the exploration aspect. Perhaps exploring ruins should take some time, and only resources be visible on the long range scanners. Perhaps more options regarding exploration could be added, like tell the E-ship to focus on finding habitable worlds and not linger in every system, or find fuel sources or other rare resources then tell you about it.

It could be fun to have exploration be more random, the empire sending explorers that unveil the map only at their return, the player having no real control on the ship, just choosing the explored area.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 55
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 10:58:02 PM   
Igard

I'll add, More political complexity (parties, policy sliders etc), More exploration options (focus on finding life, fuel etc), More involved trade mechanics (trade nodes/routes).

What about an empire border system? This is something I forgot to add to the list and also something Elliot has contemplated before.

(in reply to Imrryran)
Post #: 56
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/13/2011 11:14:29 PM   
Data

I think you should add it. When we last approached borders the majority (me included) didn't want them.....but the vote will tell the story.
In general, you should add anything that comes to mind or is proposed and the votes will sort them out, this is a great idea and will help the wishlist as well.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 57
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/14/2011 10:37:39 PM   
Imrryran

quote:

What about an empire border system? This is something I forgot to add to the list and also something Elliot has contemplated before.

It might be a nice addition to the game. I guess it depends on how it is implemented.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 58
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/14/2011 10:58:29 PM   
Data

From what I've sampled so far I think there is only the model from civ games and galciv. Not sure what other alternative we would have with respect to this.
And in those games borders were heavily determined (exploited even) by culture and influence. So we should put our inovative hats on to avoid something similar as, in my opinion, this could ruin the feel of the game.

(in reply to Imrryran)
Post #: 59
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/15/2011 12:04:41 AM   
Igard

It's a highly debatable issue. My idea was slightly complex.

It would create a penalty zone around your colonies. This would represent your area of influence or your border. The settings for the size of this region could be changed in the game setup options, 1 sector, 0.75 sector, 0.5 sector, 0.25 sector, or not at all (the way it is now).

If an alien race has exceptionally good relations with you, they can colonise withing these regions without penalty, just as any race can do now.

If an alien race has exceptionally bad relations with you, they will find that the colony has a 'can colonise but proximity to hostile race will reduce culture and development' warning, just like there was a hostile independant race on the planet but with some differences.

The more aggressive the alien race is, the more likely they are to attempt colonising within your borders.

Of course, colonies within these regions would appear in the diplomacy trade options. They would have to be priced according to how prosperous the planet is, so new colonies would be reasonably affordable, since they would have a low value/GDP.

It's basically to emulate the nature of a civilian population. Some more aggressive, maybe less intelligent, races may be amenable to the idea of living near a hostile empire, some more passive, would most likely be averse to moving to such a place with the realisation it Would be first to be conquered should both sides go to war.

< Message edited by Igard -- 3/15/2011 12:05:16 AM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI