Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 4:48:22 AM   
Larsenex

So what do I do with the Death star? I was looking at the components and could not stop laughing. Its ridiculously over powered. I was laughing so hard I had tears. So I am now DUBIOUS with the rest of galaxy, what do I do now? Should I dismantle it? Or should I use it to conqueror my enemies? Are there any consequences to using such a great weapon? Hrmmm Atomics on an undefended civilian population, nope no problem there, nukem till they are a glowing slag! Ok so What do you all do with this beast of a ship?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Post #: 1
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 5:54:28 AM   
Delta_V

Dude, its your game; do whatever you want to with it, that's part of the fun. 

I personally like to keep them around and use them to fulfill my own personal version of the "tarkin doctrine".  I rarely use them but I keep them around  for the intimidation factor.   Don't let its stats fool you though; its by no means invincible and if you aren't careful its quite easy to loose them; they are very slow to accelerate and turn and their top speed is pretty bad too so if they are facing a superior force (especially a large amount of ships) they can get hammered pretty quick.  I've lost a few learning the hard way.

However, I didn't think that just completing the world destroyers affected your reputation...I know you can potentially take a hit by using them on inhabited planets but I didn't think completing it and taking ownership affected your reputation.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 2
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 6:13:58 AM   
Setekh

Building it shouldn't affect your rep at all.
Using it on populated worlds will DESTROY your reputation.

(in reply to Delta_V)
Post #: 3
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 6:48:07 AM   
Data

I'm speculating here but if after completing it you destroyed all the other AI ships stationed there to grab it than this could have actually caused the rep hit.
If you have a savegame before completion we can speedup to that point and check more closely.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 4
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 7:32:19 AM   
J HG T

Early-/mid-game the WD is one scary mofo, but in the late-/very late-game (sometimes even in mid-game) it can easily be destroyed by good sized state-of-the-art fleet who concentrate their firepower. The reason why WD is so "scary" is its super laser which gives it firepower of over 30K. Strip the supa laser and it's just advanced capital ship, nothing more.
Also, the super laser doesn't help against other ships 'cause it's slow firing rate and bad accuracy. "Killing fly with a 'zook" as they say
When RPing neutral or good race I usually just scrap the WD or destroy its wreck. It's an abomination, meant to destroy beatiful worlds that could be used for colonization!

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 9:13:30 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Strip the supa laser and it's just a mediocre capital ship, nothing more.

fixed.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 6
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 11:29:57 AM   
Merker

Hmm, about the rep drop from destroying planets, it's not that big. I used it on the capital world of another empire I was NOT at war with, 14bil pop +fleet and spaceport all that, and I only dropped from admired to respectable or satisfactory, can't remember which. Then they warred on me and I kept blowing up random planets and my rep stayed the same. It might be a bug though. I also love toasting planets without resources since the roid fields left behind might end up with something to mine, heheheheehhe

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 7
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 1:29:18 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Goodness, Merker, you are far more... resolved... to "toast" planets into asteroids ( )... than I as a galactic emperor, with a fully armed and operational battlestation. Indeed, you are powerful...

< Message edited by Caesar_Augustus -- 3/11/2011 1:31:10 PM >

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 8
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 1:40:33 PM   
Merker

Nah, just way too fun to see lots and lots and lots of roid fields, since they are so rare . I get the biggest ones around gas giants with lots of moons

(in reply to Caesar_Augustus)
Post #: 9
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 3:29:58 PM   
Data

So you're actually a space decorator / architect...very noble
btw it does sound like a bug, everyone that used them noted a serious rep hit with even a small number of planets destroyed. Myabe it's a function of the many settings or difficulty level.

< Message edited by Data -- 3/11/2011 3:31:22 PM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 10
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 4:46:39 PM   
Shark7

Just opening up more places for asteroid mining...besides, no one will miss the bugs.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 11
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 7:13:12 PM   
Wreck

quote:

everyone that used them noted a serious rep hit with even a small number of planets destroyed. Myabe it's a function of the many settings or difficulty level.

I posted that in an AAR. On the other hand, I may have not really understood what was going on. I was letting the computer play everything, so maybe it was not the planet-killing but the use of spies, attacks on neutrals, or whatnot. (Certainly I have noticed AIs getting evil reputations without killing planets.)

Perhaps more testing should be done...

Also, I am curious as to whether blowing up an uninhabited planet costs reputation. Seems like if not, one tactic to try would be to blow up all the unoccupied planets in an enemy's domain. Or to just focus on key strategic minerals.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 12
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 7:15:16 PM   
Data

Indeed, destroying uninhabited ones does not incurr a rep hit. Your tactics are worthy of the Shark school and that's saying a lot.

(in reply to Wreck)
Post #: 13
RE: Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. - 3/11/2011 7:42:43 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Indeed, destroying uninhabited ones does not incurr a rep hit. Your tactics are worthy of the Shark school and that's saying a lot.

I'm not evil...no...seriously...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Completed world destroyer and my rep dropped. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI