Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using weather fronts?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Using weather fronts? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using weather fronts? - 9/17/2002 9:18:31 PM   
Sleekit

Is there any way to use the historical tactic of your TF's closing on a target by following a weather front or hiding within it. It seems to me this was a favoured tactic, albeit weather dependant, but can it be simulated within UV?
Sleekit
Post #: 1
Maybe.. - 9/17/2002 10:45:57 PM   
BPRE

Hi,

AFAIK there's no way to sort of follow a front as such but last turn I found a Jap TF in Gili-Gili (4 APs/AKs) by sending a sub into the harbour.
I think they came from the Shortlands but I never sighted them on the way although I had a PBY squadron plus some Hudsons in Port Moresby.
Interestingly it was a Thunderstorm turn so the weather should have improved their possibility to avoid detection if it has any meaning.

Regards
BPRE

(in reply to Sleekit)
Post #: 2
- 9/17/2002 10:56:00 PM   
Matt Erickson

Yeah when it rains it sometimes poors:eek: two or three days of thunderstorms can give you some surprises...then again it is usaully not raining all over the map.

(in reply to Sleekit)
Post #: 3
There ARE no "fronts" in the tropics, folks - 9/19/2002 8:06:58 AM   
JohnK

Tropical weather doesn't play by the same rules you're used to. There's no regular march of fronts from West to East.

And even by tropical standards, the SW Pacific was especially erratic.

All you have is the ITCZ (zone of cloudiness and T-storms, occasionally developing a tropical cyclone) randomly oscillating N and S in a pretty much completely unpredictable way.

(in reply to Sleekit)
Post #: 4
- 9/19/2002 6:57:14 PM   
Admiral_Arctic

I've had some success in rainy and thunderstorms by splitting my taskforces into 4-5 ships. They seem to go undectected to get within 11-12 hexes. (Sometimes closer with a CV group) I don't bother in other weather types as it don't seem to help. I have found that large sized tf (12-15 ships) seem to get sighted in all weather conditions.

PS I've never divided my tf into very small groups of one or two ships in case I run into subs or trigger some reaction force and get blasted.

AA

I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.

(in reply to Sleekit)
Post #: 5
Response... - 9/19/2002 9:11:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

Attempting to find a spot of bad weather to hide under is the responsibility of your local TF commanders. As a poster noted above, weather in this area was notoriously fragmented and unpredictable. If you want to maximize your chances of avoiding detection, try to stay 8+ hexes away from an enemy base and use TFs of five ships or less.

I find players often use 10-15 ship TFs and at times have several in one hex. This is not really a difficult job for enemy search planes, barring very bad weather.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sleekit)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Using weather fronts? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI