Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 12:28:01 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Grinding away on the ground in Honshu while pursuing a strategic bombing campaign from Hokkaido seems like a recipe for victory to me - Rader's already lost, we're in 1944 and allied boots are on the big island - now it just remains to see how long the game will last.

True, might as well try and take something that will interdict the flow of oil. Ton of stuff has to be lightly guarded. US CV's are the strongest asset in the game right now and Rader won't pull aircraft from the HI

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 5761
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 12:48:02 AM   
cwDeici

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
The problem with any invasion is that if the enemy is there in strength then you are required to support it until it is decided. It would be incredibly risky for GJ to move his carriers away out of supporting range of his invasions, as we all have seen how Rader can take advantage of it. Odd as it sounds, until GJ clears out one or two invasions hexes, (or withdraws) Rader will hold the initiative, because KB still exists and does not have to be committed to fighting the invasion.

Oh I see... so his airforce is so weak now he needs to evacuate at least one of the beachheads? That's a pity.
Thanks for the answers!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop
One more point about owning bases is that obviously you control the port and airfield. Assuming you can keep them open in the face of enemy air and naval attack, you can unload troops and supplies more safely and can use the airfield to project air power.

Thanks for the answer!

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/20/2012 12:51:24 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5762
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 1:35:19 AM   
crsutton

Well, GJ is the final judge. He has a better appreciation of his overall strengths and weaknesses than I do.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5763
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 2:06:46 AM   
princep01

Ser Greyjoy, you are being plummeled by advice and observations right now, but I'd only add this. There are other avenues to victory available and you should NOT let despair creep into your planning. A Roman legion could often hold off a howling mob many times its number and you are the Romans here. Stand and bomb him where and when you judge appropriate.

While the airframe situation is a bit alarming, it surely is not unexpected. If nothing else, your experience should pound home the point to the game developer that if the Japas are to be given a free hand for production (especially in scenario 2), then the Allied air pools need to be increased sharply or Japanese air production adjusted. The US could out produce the Japanese by such a margin that they simply would have either increased production, shifted more to the Pacific or both. It is silly to give Japa this production capability and assume the US would have just gone oh-hummm. It sees the developer wants to produce a game that practically ensures the Japs have air equality or superiority.....fat chance in real life.

Sharing this great experience with you and friend,

princepBolton

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5764
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 7:06:12 AM   
GreyJoy

Sorry guys but yesterday evening i was tired like hell and got a bit of temperature so i didn't even stitch on the pc....

Ok, i made up my mind: we stay and fight! I've started to re-organize my air force and after a couple of turns of resting we should be able to fight back again.
I don't really need to LRCAP my beachheads imho...i don't think he will start a air war campaign against my troops....that would expose his fighters to some more slaughter. At the same time i don't think he can push me out....so we'll stay there and we'll grind them down!
Bombers and BBs will keep on bombing and occasionally we'll switch to strat bombing his industries.

For the moment i'n not planning any invasions in other sectors...let's face the truth: by now he must have so many fuel and supplies stockpiled that everything else than honshu would be just a side show....but a sideshow withbgreat risks! You have seeen his numbers....if i invade i'll be counting just on my CVs for cover....would that be enough? Don't think so....

And i have manymmore reinforcements coming down from India....so it's not over yet!

See u later for some updates....

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 5765
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 7:47:46 AM   
cwDeici

With most of his surface navy dead, maybe you can start raiding his tankers more freely with your subs and maybe some of your longer-range surface elements?

Anyway I fully support your decision to not LRCAP the beaches, they'll be fine going by the results so far when under attack and the forts they've put up and the expendable merchant marine.

So anyway I did a little calculation of how many times the AC frames Japan is producing compared to America in this scenario 2 campaign vis a vis the comparative OTL strength. According to an article I read the Japanese had numerical superiority over the Americans (and the allies at large?) until 1943 when it reversed.
More importantly so far in this campaign the allies have lost only 18,600 AC compared to the 205% of Japanese losses at 38,200.

This means that Japan can not only cherrypick frames but if Greyjoy is outnumbered say 2:1 then that means if I assume that in real life the allies had maybe 2:1 in numbers of aircraft by 1944, then Japan has eight times (was twice in real life by 1944 (guessing), is twice as much in the game (game), after twice as many casualties (checked)) the aircraft in real life. Of course that's not counting whatever production Japan gets from conquering China and holding India for some time as well as some other territories, if that's enough to matter significantly, but then again I'd be less surprised if the allies outnumbered them more than 2:1 OTL in '44 than that Chinese and Indian AC production mattered.

Scenario 2 is supposed to be more fun for the Japanese player, so what's necessary to balance out the other allied advantages is cherrypicking eight times the frames and nerfing radar? Are there important areas where Japan is significantly weaker than OTL and what is Rader giving up to crank out that many frames?
I'm just kind of in awe when Greyjoy pulls stuff like killing 2,750 in a day at Tokyo then says 'well, this should maybe give me air superiority for two weeks' and then it mostly doesn't, which I can understand now.

Sorry for asking so many questions and I don't have anything against scenario 2.
It makes for a more awesome game as clearly evidenced here! :D

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/20/2012 8:05:44 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5766
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 9:26:22 AM   
kfsgo

quote:

ORIGINAL: cwDeici

With most of his surface navy dead, maybe you can start raiding his tankers more freely with your subs and maybe some of your longer-range surface elements?

Anyway I fully support your decision to not LRCAP the beaches, they'll be fine going by the results so far when under attack and the forts they've put up and the expendable merchant marine.

So anyway I did a little calculation of how many times the AC frames Japan is producing compared to America in this scenario 2 campaign vis a vis the comparative OTL strength. According to an article I read the Japanese had numerical superiority over the Americans (and the allies at large?) until 1943 when it reversed.
More importantly so far in this campaign the allies have lost only 18,600 AC compared to the 205% of Japanese losses at 38,200.

This means that Japan can not only cherrypick frames but if Greyjoy is outnumbered say 2:1 then that means if I assume that in real life the allies had maybe 2:1 in numbers of aircraft by 1944, then Japan has eight times (was twice in real life by 1944 (guessing), is twice as much in the game (game), after twice as many casualties (checked)) the aircraft in real life. Of course that's not counting whatever production Japan gets from conquering China and holding India for some time as well as some other territories, if that's enough to matter significantly, but then again I'd be less surprised if the allies outnumbered them more than 2:1 OTL in '44 than that Chinese and Indian AC production mattered.

Scenario 2 is supposed to be more fun for the Japanese player, so what's necessary to balance out the other allied advantages is cherrypicking eight times the frames and nerfing radar? Are there important areas where Japan is significantly weaker than OTL and what is Rader giving up to crank out that many frames?
I'm just kind of in awe when Greyjoy pulls stuff like killing 2,750 in a day at Tokyo then says 'well, this should maybe give me air superiority for two weeks' and then it mostly doesn't, which I can understand now.

Sorry for asking so many questions and I don't have anything against scenario 2.
It makes for a more awesome game as clearly evidenced here! :D

I have plenty against SC2 as a concept. However, it is worth bearing in mind that for all the accelerated aircraft, ships, LCUs etc, industrial production is not something that changes significantly from SC1 to SC2. There is a very small increase in Japanese industrial (by which think heavy industry, armament assembly) capacity at the start of the scenario, and I don't doubt that most players will choose to expand on that further to an extent using the extra supply available to them. Still, Japan's ability to actually build stuff is not an order of magnitude greater than in SC1 - given increased demands on some sectors (HI for training all those extra pilots, for example) it's probably not increased significantly.

What it does grant, as far as I understand it, is the ability to crew all those aircraft effectively, insofar as the oil and resources don't stop flowing - which, of course, they haven't. This is something that can to an extent be fought - by forcing the Japanese to fight over those parts of Honshu with American troops on them to magnify pilot losses, say - but being on the defensive as they are Japanese pilot losses will not be completely catastrophic unless they're made to do that.

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5767
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 9:45:56 AM   
cwDeici

Thanks for the info.
So Rader has a metric -ton of aircraft because GJ hasn't taken the DEI or sunk the tankers & oilers?

< Message edited by cwDeici -- 1/20/2012 9:47:28 AM >

(in reply to kfsgo)
Post #: 5768
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 9:57:56 AM   
kfsgo

quote:

ORIGINAL: cwDeici

Thanks for the info.
So Rader has a metric -ton of aircraft because GJ hasn't taken the DEI or sunk the tankers & oilers?

Basically, yeah. Well - strictly speaking it would have been more help to sink the tankers and oilers six months ago, given that heavy industry points can be stockpiled; still. Whether it's sustainable long-term is a question I can't answer - even the NEI only produces so much fuel, and every industry or aircraft factory point repaired is 1000t of supply, for instance - but, y'know, industry is still getting everything it needs in terms of resources, so...factories keep pumping stuff out.

(in reply to cwDeici)
Post #: 5769
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 10:38:22 AM   
GreyJoy

God knows that i've tried to interdict his sealanes...since 1942...with my subs...i've tried to place them everywhere from DEI, SRA to the HI...even on the less important routes...japanese air ASW has been deadly...my subs were slaughtered with no mercy...and now his latest "E" class is prooving to be defenetly better than any ASW asset the allies have...every time the pass over a sub they score a kill...just every time!
Jzanez in his other game with Rader experimented the same thing...Rader has developed a system that keeps 99% safe all his routes from subs attacks...there's no way to penetrate there and to kill his tankers. Believe me.
Every single damned base has a dedicated Helen Sentai with 70 ASW skilled crews...and at 1000 feet they are really deadly....and he never moves his tankers in open waters....only shallow ones...under the cover of his ASW assets...

Rader has managed to develop an Air army which is much better than the allied ones. Now that he has the SAM for his CVs, he can easily outperform the Hellcats-5 (nearly 20 mph faster) and with the Ki-83 he has a plane that goes faster and higher than a P-47s...in few months he'll be producing 350 Shidens/months (yes, i've calculated the number based on my Recon) and nearly 400 KI-201 (the japanese version of the Me262)...you can draw your conclusions about my overall situation in the air...strat bombing will be nearly impossible against these numbers...we all know that

(in reply to kfsgo)
Post #: 5770
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 10:42:17 AM   
GreyJoy

and the latest battle over Aikita, where i lost 800 fighters planes against his 1200, clearly shows that his pilot quality is nowhere close to that vicious spiral we have been talking for months now...Rader is still able to put in his planes crews with enough skill to tangle at equal terms with my fighter army...and the 70% of my fighters are outperformed (Wildcats, Hellcats, P-40, P-39s and, to a certain degree, P-38s)...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5771
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 1:15:18 PM   
jeffk3510

I think you over estimate his situation this late in the game....his navy is wrecked, and even if he has a lot of AC, his pilot exp HAS to be embarrassing..

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5772
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 1:23:52 PM   
veji1

well if you estimate that he will be able to produce that many planes the course of actions is fairly simple, bomb the crap out of his AC factories... You want to kill his planes on the ground and in the factories before they are even produced. If your beachheads have to become WWI style for 3 months in order for you to achieve global air superiority, than as long as you can supply them, give yourself those 3 months.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 5773
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 2:38:46 PM   
House Stark

Greyjoy, do you have any spare long ranged DDs or obsolete but fast CLs? Rader might have your subs suppressed but if his air force is entirely in the Home Islands some raiding squadrons might be able to wreak havoc on his fuel/resource convoys, as well as kill some ASW ships. It would be pretty low risk, but potentially high reward if his air force is thin in the DEI.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 5774
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 2:44:24 PM   
jeffk3510

Your old USN Omaha class cruisers would be good for this. Not sure how many you have left.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to House Stark)
Post #: 5775
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 3:15:01 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

God knows that i've tried to interdict his sealanes...since 1942...with my subs...i've tried to place them everywhere from DEI, SRA to the HI...even on the less important routes...japanese air ASW has been deadly...my subs were slaughtered with no mercy...and now his latest "E" class is prooving to be defenetly better than any ASW asset the allies have...every time the pass over a sub they score a kill...just every time!
Jzanez in his other game with Rader experimented the same thing...Rader has developed a system that keeps 99% safe all his routes from subs attacks...there's no way to penetrate there and to kill his tankers. Believe me.
Every single damned base has a dedicated Helen Sentai with 70 ASW skilled crews...and at 1000 feet they are really deadly....and he never moves his tankers in open waters....only shallow ones...under the cover of his ASW assets...

Rader has managed to develop an Air army which is much better than the allied ones. Now that he has the SAM for his CVs, he can easily outperform the Hellcats-5 (nearly 20 mph faster) and with the Ki-83 he has a plane that goes faster and higher than a P-47s...in few months he'll be producing 350 Shidens/months (yes, i've calculated the number based on my Recon) and nearly 400 KI-201 (the japanese version of the Me262)...you can draw your conclusions about my overall situation in the air...strat bombing will be nearly impossible against these numbers...we all know that

Yes, the Allied sub effort is a no go. I can attest to that from my own experience. Any decent Japanese player can assure the safety of his merchant fleet to the point where the losses are acceptable and Allied sub losses very high. It is a pity and gets me riled when JFBs bitch about the power of the Allied 4Es, when one of the most crucial Allied weapons in WWII is a virtual no show in the game. I would gladly have my bombers nerfed, if they could give me a working sub force.

So DEI oil resources have to be attacked directly-which means every AFB should have some sort of plan to put bombers in range of Japanese oil production no matter what other plans are on the book. Your invasion of Hokkaido has taught us all a lot and taken the Allies where they have not gone before and I think was the perfect move for you. But it also shows that oil and lines of communications are key for Japan as well. By taking India and locking up the Indian Ocean and North OZ, Rader did a great job of protecting his oil. Sooner or later the Allies will get to them but he built a great perimeter to protect them which probably left you little choice but to take the open door that he left you. (I would have done the same, but probably not as boldly..)

The reality is that most of us AFBs won't really get a clean crack at invading Hokkaido. Thus, shutting off the oil flow is key.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5776
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 3:26:28 PM   
Canoerebel

I have referred to the massive quantities of Japanese aircraft and pilots in AE (presumably restricted to Scenario Two, but it may be more widespread than that) as "Star Wars."

Until GJ's game, there were various opinions tossed out that the Star Wars effect was limited by the particular circumstances of each game.  But this game proves that Star Wars is the norm.  If GJ hasn't reduced Japan's capcity to turn out zillions of aiircraft and pilots, then it's not ever going to happen.  GJ has just flat whiped Japan for two years of game time, inflicting staggering losses, but Japan still comes back with vast quantities every turn.

So, Star Wars it is.  All who play Scenario Two need to start with this information in mind.  I will always prefer Scenario Two, but I won't play with the idea that I can limit Japan's quantities.  The best I can hope for is to maximize Allied pilot quality so that my air forces can hold their own in the sky. 

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5777
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 3:43:33 PM   
Nemo121

I disagree with your conclusion CR. several players have forced the IJAAF and IJNAF into a death spiral of pilot experience in Scenario 2. That GJ hasn't done it is, in no way, conclusive proof it cannot be done. To be honest there are many things GJ could have done differently/better to cause tht death spiral but which he hasn't done.

So, you can't look at this game and generalise about what is achievable in Scenario 2 without including those Allied games in which Japan was trounced in 1942 or 1943 and in which the problem of their airforce production and pilot training was solved by Allied players.

cwDeici: that maths is highly suspect being he result of a conclusion built on foundations made of multiple suppositions.

Of note: I haven't stated anything specific at all about in-game advice here, just felt that the conclusions being drawn had reached factually unsupportable levels and needed a counter.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/20/2012 3:44:50 PM >

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5778
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 3:50:57 PM   
beppi

I think it is time to "expand" the Allied focus of operation to do the next proper steps. I still think that it is possible to get a solid foothold in norther Japan even if the initial assaults failed. But this will take time, maybe a lot of time. The latest date after which a base in norther Japan is ensured is whenever the soviets activate by their own (so non gamey) and the ETO reinforcements arrive.

Soviets will take half of China (which isnt even "ahistorical") and with that you can cut off any SRA movement just through air.
The allied ETO stuff allows just to break through in northern japan.

But the question is what to do that an earlier foothold in norther japan is possible and how to reduce the restistance of japan.

Some things i assume currently.

1.) I am not sure if the Japanese mainland "swims" in resources and Oil. It is not that easy to move the stuff back home and especially there isnt enough oil production to suddenly create a large stockpile back at home. Is it even possible to expand HI to a point raeder did and still have a surplus in oil production ?

2.) There might be a decent HI reserve, but that too is just speculation. I am not a japanese SCEN 2 economy expert but the question i ask myself if it is possible to build that much planes AND build a solid HI reserve. From my point of view it is that you can produce massive amounts of planes if you do not conserve a lot of HI for the reserve.

I think next to all operations similiar to the ones the last few months small style operations which gain a lot should be considered. I mean reader has pulled back almost all stuff back to japan, how is the situation in India, how in the SRA ? How well defended are the Marians/Iwo Jima/Rabaul+Kaviewng area ? To further reduce the Japanese fighting capabilities there have to be some additional operations.

Everything else will just result in the "style" Greyjoy did not want to play. Just sit and Bomb changed to Just sit and Bomb with 3 beachheads in Japan.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5779
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 4:05:58 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I have referred to the massive quantities of Japanese aircraft and pilots in AE (presumably restricted to Scenario Two, but it may be more widespread than that) as "Star Wars."

Until GJ's game, there were various opinions tossed out that the Star Wars effect was limited by the particular circumstances of each game.  But this game proves that Star Wars is the norm.  If GJ hasn't reduced Japan's capcity to turn out zillions of aiircraft and pilots, then it's not ever going to happen.  GJ has just flat whiped Japan for two years of game time, inflicting staggering losses, but Japan still comes back with vast quantities every turn.

So, Star Wars it is.  All who play Scenario Two need to start with this information in mind.  I will always prefer Scenario Two, but I won't play with the idea that I can limit Japan's quantities.  The best I can hope for is to maximize Allied pilot quality so that my air forces can hold their own in the sky. 

and what this tells me is that no AFB in his right mind (who isn't a masochist) should EVER agree to play the JFB wetdream scenario that #2 represents.....at least NOT without a compensating factor, the only one of which the game offers is not using historical torpedo duds for the US, nor should he ever agree to any limitations on the use of 4Es

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5780
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 4:10:01 PM   
Canoerebel

I wouldn't go that far.  I like the idea of playing Scenario Two against most experienced players.  It offers a very tight match.  It isn't World War II, but it is kind of like playing chess, though you do know the black (Allies) will eventually prevail.

As for my Star Wars comment, I stand behind it.  I don't see any experienced IJ player ever running out of aircraft or pilots (unless there is a patch that changes the equation).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5781
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 4:52:11 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Actualy its very easy if playing Japan to run out of certain AC frames or certain pilot types scen 1 or 2. Soso Japanese players will do that themself and experienced ones need help from the allies to make that happen.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 1/20/2012 6:00:47 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5782
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 4:54:18 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

and what this tells me is that no AFB in his right mind (who isn't a masochist) should EVER agree to play the JFB wetdream scenario that #2 represents.....at least NOT without a compensating factor, the only one of which the game offers is not using historical torpedo duds for the US, nor should he ever agree to any limitations on the use of 4Es

Disagree... I bitch about scen#2 all the time but think it is a fair and balanced game with all its flaws. In fact, if the Allies avoid autovictory in 42, then given equal skill levels, they should win. If you want a historical simulation then #1 is the way to go. If you want a good hard game, then #2 fills the bill. I would like to see a few modifications but think I would be bored playing the Allies in #1.

But I am not fooling myself. It is a total JFB wet dream...

< Message edited by crsutton -- 1/20/2012 4:56:21 PM >

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5783
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 5:23:15 PM   
Chickenboy

I won't disagree about anything said here re: unrealistic Japanese production or the rationale therein. In my opinion, one of the greatest benefits of scenario 2 v. 1 is the automatic 'pull forward' of the IJ production lines, REGARDLESS of research expenditures. This will shave several months off any airframe availability. Thus, Allied players are guaranteeing that they will lose air parity early and often just because of the defacto early research. When combined with increased resource, HI pools and infantry, CRSutton is right-it is a JFB wet dream.

@GreyJoy: while stopping Oil in the long run is a sage idea, I disagree about using it as the short-term focus of your bombing effort. In my opinion, it's all about the aircraft / engine production facilities. As it's likely that he has at least some engines stockpiled, I'd say that a/c production should come first. Only by taking his up-and-coming uber-fighters permanently offline (before production starts in earnest) can you really take his fight away from him.

If you don't do this soon, you'll be in the awkward position of having drained your replacement pools of fighters in 1944, while his fighter production pools expand at unfathomable levels into 1945. I wouldn't envy your strategic position in that case.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5784
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 6:19:08 PM   
AcePylut

Ladies and gentlemen - we can not compare Scenario 2 to "real history".  Scenario two is not supposed to be a representation of "history", it's a fantasy scenario with Japan on steroids... so complaining about Japan's production - well - that's what you signed up for. 

If you want to compare "real history" to "WITP-AE", then you must play Scen 1 and see what happens in '44, '45. 

Has anyone done that yet?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5785
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 6:21:36 PM   
Cribtop

Rader HQ, early 1945

"Sweep the Leg."

"But, sir, you're talking about using jet fighters against P-39s! It's inhuman!"

"I said, Sweep the Leg! Do you have a problem with that?"

"No, Sensei."

With apologies to non-GenXers who didn't see Karate Kid.

Scary stuff. JFB that I am, I've always said that the Allied production numbers in AE represent what they needed to trash Japan IRL, not the total potential a/c production of the USA. If we needed more, we'd have made them.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5786
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 6:24:03 PM   
Canoerebel

To the extent that there is any angst, it's the fact that the exact proportions of Scenario Two were rather unknown and unexplored when the game came out.  Everybody knew certain things - more infantry, more destroyers, ect.  But it wasn't until we got into the game that we began bumping our heads into certain other advantages we hadn't expected - like Star Wars.

I would expect the Japanese airforce to be a shambles if it had lost 38k aircraft to 18k for the Allies.  Japan should be able to put up just a handful or poorly piloted plains - or, perhaps it should be that the Allies should be able to flood the skies overwhelming Japan.  But that isn't the case, as GJ's game abundantly demonstrates. 

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 5787
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 6:26:26 PM   
GreyJoy

The problem is that all his factory bases are very well defended by hundreds of fighters and , with the new patch (that i firmly love) michealm has made for us, the CAP works really better..so every raid should be escorted by hundreds of long-legged fighters (AKA P-47s, P-38s or P-51) that will be sacrified in the intent of covering the bombers...which means, as you well understand, that i'll end up my best fighters pool within a couple of raids...
So it's a "dilemma"...don't have a "good" option imho..

This was a sleepy turn...with both parts licking their wounds after the battles of the last week...we have partially reorganized our air force and we started back on bombing Hachinoe...

However this turn gave us some answers....

@ Castor: take a look of the effect of japanese CD guns against my supply convoys unloading (only supplies) at Aikita....

@everybody: look at the difference between allied ASW TFs and japanese ASW TFs....i've lost 10 subs in the last 20 days in southern seas due to his "E" classes...they are more than deadly!!!!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Sep 16, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Hirosaki/Aomori at 117,54

Japanese Ships
SS I-174, hits 4

Allied Ships
DD Stockham
DD Wadsworth
DD Wadleigh
DD Trathen

SS I-174 is sighted by escort
DD Wadsworth fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Wadleigh attacking submerged sub ....
DD Trathen attacking submerged sub ....
DD Wadleigh fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Wadleigh fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Trathen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Trathen cannot establish contact with SS I-174
DD Trathen loses contact with SS I-174
SS I-174 eludes DD Trathen by diving deep
SS I-174 eludes ASW attack from DD Trathen
Escort abandons search for sub

Sub vs Sub: SS Clyde attacking SS I-154 at 116,54 - near Hirosaki/Aomori

Japanese Ships
SS I-154, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Clyde

SS Clyde launches 6 torpedoes at 2,000 yards

ASW attack near Niigata at 115,55

Japanese Ships
SS I-174, hits 6, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Wedderburn
DD Cassin Young
DD Young

SS I-174 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Wedderburn
I-174 diving deep ....
DD Cassin Young attacking submerged sub ....
DD Cassin Young loses contact with SS I-174
DD Young fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Cassin Young fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Young attacking submerged sub ....

Night Naval bombardment of Hachinohe at 118,55 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

3 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
BB New Mexico
CA London
CA Australia
CA San Francisco

Japanese ground losses:
77 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 18 (2 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Manpower hits 4
Fires 1060
Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 16
Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 2

Night Naval bombardment of Hachinohe at 118,55 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

9 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
BB Indiana
BB South Dakota
BB North Carolina
CA Astoria
CA Houston
DD Burns

Japanese ground losses:
303 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Sub attack near Iwaki at 123,68

Japanese Ships
E Mikura
E No.43
E Okinawa
E Daito

Allied Ships
SS Redfish, hits 31, and is sunk

SS Redfish launches 2 torpedoes at E Mikura
E No.43 fails to find sub and abandons search
E Okinawa fails to find sub, continues to search...
E Okinawa attacking submerged sub ....
E Okinawa attacking submerged sub ....
SS Redfish forced to surface!
E Daito firing on surfaced sub ....
E No.43 firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves

Morning Air attack on Hachinohe , at 118,55

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Allied aircraft
Liberator II x 3
Liberator B.VI x 35
Wellington Ic x 19
Wellington GR.VIII x 15
Wellington B.X x 18
B-24D1 Liberator x 10
B-24J Liberator x 115
B-25D1 Mitchell x 60
B-25H Mitchell x 69
B-25J1 Mitchell x 5
B-29-1 Superfort x 88
P-38H Lightning x 10
FM-2 Wildcat x 168
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 46
PB4Y-2 Privateer x 9
PBJ-1D Mitchell x 42
PV-1 Ventura x 31

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 1 damaged
Liberator B.VI: 9 damaged
Wellington Ic: 5 damaged
Wellington GR.VIII: 1 damaged
Wellington B.X: 7 damaged
Wellington B.X: 1 destroyed by flak
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 destroyed by flak
B-24J Liberator: 32 damaged
B-25D1 Mitchell: 8 damaged
B-25D1 Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak
B-25H Mitchell: 22 damaged
B-25J1 Mitchell: 1 damaged
B-29-1 Superfort: 26 damaged
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 15 damaged
PB4Y-2 Privateer: 5 damaged
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 10 damaged
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak
PV-1 Ventura: 17 damaged
PV-1 Ventura: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
505 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 98 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Port hits 25
Port fuel hits 3

Also attacking Kure 7th SNLF ...
Also attacking Combined 8th SNLF ...
Also attacking 7th Base Force ...
Also attacking Wake Coastal Gun Battalion ...
Also attacking 3rd IJN Special Coastal Gun Battalion ...
Also attacking 86th Division ...
Also attacking 14th Base Force ...
Also attacking 93rd Division ...
Also attacking 33rd Division ...
Also attacking 72nd Division ...
Also attacking 5th Depot Division ...
Also attacking 52nd Division ...
Also attacking 32nd Division ...
Also attacking 4th Guards Division ...
Also attacking 116th Division ...
Also attacking 15th Medium Field Artillery Regiment ...
Also attacking Hachinohe ...
Also attacking 1st Mobile Infantry Regiment ...
Also attacking 151st AA Regiment ...
Also attacking 11th Ind.Mixed Regiment ...
Also attacking 53rd Division ...
Also attacking 82nd Infantry Brigade ...
Also attacking 11th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 28th Mountain Gun Regiment ...
Also attacking 5th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 1st Mobile Engineer Regiment ...
Also attacking 48th Field Artillery Regiment ...
Also attacking 26th Field Artillery Regiment ...
Also attacking 12th Naval Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 71st Mountain Gun Regiment ...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Sep 17, 44

Invasion Support action off Akita (117,55)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

304 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
xAK Cape Ann, Shell hits 30, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Cape Greig, Shell hits 17, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Cape Elizabeth, Shell hits 17, on fire
xAK Cape Chalmers
xAK Cape Kildare, Shell hits 2
xAK Cape Stephens, Shell hits 4, on fire

xAK William Schirmer
xAK Sampan
AK Deimos
xAK Otis Skinner

12cm 10YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Ann at 12,000 yards
8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Ann at 12,000 yards
12cm 10YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Greig at 12,000 yards
12cm 10YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Elizabeth at 12,000 yards
8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Elizabeth at 12,000 yards
15cm 41YT CD Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Ann at 12,000 yards
12.7cm 3YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Elizabeth at 12,000 yards
8cm 41YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Greig at 12,000 yards
8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Chalmers at 12,000 yards
12.7cm 3YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Greig at 12,000 yards
8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Kildare at 12,000 yards
12cm 10YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Stephens at 12,000 yards
12.7cm 3YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Ann at 12,000 yards
xAK William Schirmer fired at enemy troops
xAK Sampan fired at enemy troops
AK Deimos fired at enemy troops

Sub attack near Hachijo-jima at 117,68

Japanese Ships
E Etoforu
E No.27
E Manju

Allied Ships
SS Herring, hits 10, heavy damage

SS Herring launches 2 torpedoes at E Etoforu
E No.27 fails to find sub, continues to search...
E Manju fails to find sub and abandons search
E No.27 attacking submerged sub ....

Morning Air attack on Hachinohe , at 118,55

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 7
A6M5c Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
Liberator II x 14
Liberator B.VI x 33
Wellington Ic x 15
Wellington GR.VIII x 15
Wellington B.X x 13
B-24D1 Liberator x 9
B-24J Liberator x 117
B-25D1 Mitchell x 63
B-25H Mitchell x 45
B-25J1 Mitchell x 5
B-29-1 Superfort x 85
P-38H Lightning x 10
FM-2 Wildcat x 171
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 40
PB4Y-2 Privateer x 9
PBJ-1D Mitchell x 40
PV-1 Ventura x 32

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 3 damaged
Liberator B.VI: 18 damaged
Wellington Ic: 6 damaged
Wellington GR.VIII: 3 damaged
Wellington B.X: 7 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 4 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 20 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed by flak
B-25D1 Mitchell: 21 damaged
B-25D1 Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak
B-25H Mitchell: 17 damaged
B-25J1 Mitchell: 2 damaged
B-29-1 Superfort: 51 damaged
FM-2 Wildcat: 2 destroyed
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 26 damaged
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 2 destroyed by flak
PB4Y-2 Privateer: 5 damaged
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 13 damaged
PBJ-1D Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak
PV-1 Ventura: 24 damaged
PV-1 Ventura: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
992 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 73 disabled
Non Combat: 14 destroyed, 278 disabled
Engineers: 14 destroyed, 45 disabled
Guns lost 105 (2 destroyed, 103 disabled)
Vehicles lost 38 (2 destroyed, 36 disabled)

Port hits 47
Port fuel hits 9
Port supply hits 5

CAP engaged:
S-304 Hikotai with A6M5c Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(7 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
S-310 Hikotai with A6M3a Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(11 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
345 Ku S-1 with A6M3a Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(12 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes

Also attacking 60th Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 8th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 36th Division ...
Also attacking 11th Ind.Mixed Regiment ...
Also attacking 151st AA Regiment ...
Also attacking 11th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 7th Ind.Tank Brigade ...
Also attacking 71st Mountain Gun Regiment ...
Also attacking 27th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 3rd Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 28th Mountain Gun Regiment ...
Also attacking 1st Mobile Engineer Regiment ...
Also attacking 5th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 26th Field Artillery Regiment ...
Also attacking 49th Mountain Gun Regiment ...
Also attacking 12th Naval Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 48th Field Artillery Regiment ...
Also attacking 11th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion ...
Also attacking 12th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion ...
Also attacking 1st Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 204th Naval Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 3rd Mortar Regiment ...
Also attacking 21st Ind. Engineer Regiment ...
Also attacking 206th Naval Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 6th Naval Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 1st Ind. Engineer Regiment ...
Also attacking 25th Ind. Engineer Regiment ...
Also attacking 13th Naval Construction Battalion ...
Also attacking 50th Field AA Battalion ...
Also attacking 8th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 4th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment ...
Also attacking 48th Recon Regiment ...

Invasion Support action off Akita (117,55)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

282 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
xAK Cape Stephens, Shell hits 19, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Cape Chalmers, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Cape Elizabeth, Shell hits 18, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Cape Kildare, Shell hits 1, on fire
xAK Cape Fairweather
xAK William Schirmer
xAK Sampan
AK Deimos

8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Stephens at 12,000 yards
12.7cm 3YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Stephens at 12,000 yards
8cm 41YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Elizabeth at 12,000 yards
12cm 10YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Chalmers at 12,000 yards
15cm 41YT CD Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Elizabeth at 12,000 yards
12.7cm 3YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Kildare at 12,000 yards
8cm 41YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Elizabeth at 12,000 yards
8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Fairweather at 12,000 yards
12.7cm 3YT DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Stephens at 12,000 yards
8cm T88 DP Gun Battery engaging xAK Cape Kildare at 12,000 yards
xAK William Schirmer fired at enemy troops
xAK Sampan fired at enemy troops
AK Deimos fired at enemy troops

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5788
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 6:32:58 PM   
GreyJoy

I have no problem with scenario 2 guys.
Just stop thinking about RL happenings and play the game as what it really is...a game.

Despite everything we've managed to reach the gates of japan and we're now fighting on the beaches of Tokyo bay....can we really complain?
The "air thing" is a problem....but it's a problem we've learnt to deal with since 1942....in 1942 we were facing sweeps of 400 Tojos with P-40s and Hurricanes....now we'll be facing hordes of Shidens, KI-83s and Ki-201 with Mustangs and P-47s...i say we've improoved our overall situation

The key is just don't think about RL...and always play as if you are the weak side...it gives a better taste when you win

No, seriously, we have better pilots, and i can say by 1945 we're gonna have a very good flow of good a/c...not superior to his best ones, but for sure not that inferior...you just have to play defensively and don't think you can sweep the skies of Japan with impunity...that's the secret

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5789
RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE - 1/20/2012 6:44:32 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Rader HQ, early 1945

"Sweep the Leg."

"But, sir, you're talking about using jet fighters against P-39s! It's inhuman!"

"I said, Sweep the Leg! Do you have a problem with that?"

"No, Sensei."

With apologies to non-GenXers who didn't see Karate Kid.

Scary stuff. JFB that I am, I've always said that the Allied production numbers in AE represent what they needed to trash Japan IRL, not the total potential a/c production of the USA. If we needed more, we'd have made them.

Great Quote and visual from one who still enjoys watching Daniel-san work things out with Mr. Miyagi!

I've always stayed away from Scen 2 because of much that is described here. I don't want to play TOTAL fantasy where the Japanese Fleet, air units, and Army get a HUGE addition to their opening abilities and large additions to the during the war capabilities. To me: it is way too much.

Since I love the Navy, I enjoy working with that (this is Reluctant Admiral's premise) but the work we did in expanding and tweaking was 'paid for' by a massive drawdown of Japanese fuel and supply to pay for the changes. Scenario 2 doesn't appear to do this in the least. The Allies also gain various items to counter balance the initial enhanced Japanese strength. That item does not appear to be the case with Scenario 2.

My .02...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 5790
Page:   <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: HAIRY TO THE BONE Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI