Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The RN Worst Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The RN Worst Day Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/3/2011 2:50:52 PM   
Canoerebel

GreyJoy, those aircraft losses shown on your Intelligence Screen:  Wow!  Nearly two to one and decidedly in favor of the Allies.  Very few players have seen numbers like these, and for a newcomer to achieve them against an experience player in a Scenario Two match is remarkable.

You have found your opponent's achilles heel.  The tendon in his heel (the Japanese airforce) has snapped.  The wound is open.  He is bleeding profusely.  One of your highest priorities right now should be to further attrit the enemy airforce whenever and wherever possible (of course, you already know this, but soemtimes it helps to look at it from a different angle).

Typically, the Japanese navy is also an Achilles Heal.  Japan has a limited number of battleships, cruisers and aircraft carriers. Each one of those you claim is a big score.  Eventually you'll probably begin whittling down the IJN navy.  If you win the air war, Japan's aggression will diminish, you'll gradually change over to Allied aggression, and rader will have to employ his navy to slow you down.  But if you break the back of his air force in the meantime, his navy is going to be much more vulnerable.

Keep up the good fight.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1831
Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:19:19 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

GreyJoy, those aircraft losses shown on your Intelligence Screen:  Wow!  Nearly two to one and decidedly in favor of the Allies.  Very few players have seen numbers like these, and for a newcomer to achieve them against an experience player in a Scenario Two match is remarkable.

You have found your opponent's achilles heel.  The tendon in his heel (the Japanese airforce) has snapped.  The wound is open.  He is bleeding profusely.  One of your highest priorities right now should be to further attrit the enemy airforce whenever and wherever possible (of course, you already know this, but soemtimes it helps to look at it from a different angle).

Typically, the Japanese navy is also an Achilles Heal.  Japan has a limited number of battleships, cruisers and aircraft carriers. Each one of those you claim is a big score.  Eventually you'll probably begin whittling down the IJN navy.  If you win the air war, Japan's aggression will diminish, you'll gradually change over to Allied aggression, and rader will have to employ his navy to slow you down.  But if you break the back of his air force in the meantime, his navy is going to be much more vulnerable.

Keep up the good fight.

Don't know CR if this vision is too optimistic.
We all thought Rader's got his backbone broken during the air battles of Karachi, where his fighters and bombers were falling in droves...and he had not.
Probably his avg pilot quality has decreased. That's for sure imho. But he still has so many planes that it's easy to compensate at least part of his losses.
For sure we're improving. For sure we're getting stronger and our losses can, under certain limits, be replaced (talking about Navy now).
Now i need to start to exchange 1 ship for another ship of the same class. I have to stop losing major ships for nothing...but, unfortunately, i cannot count on Rader's mistakes, cause he seldom does any. So to sink his ships, to kill his pilots, i need to begin to really attrit him and the Solomons are prooving to be a good attrition field.

I need to have him bleed against my walls. he still has to save from destruction those 5 divisions trapped at Tulagi since Jannuary. Don't think he can efford to lose them. At the same time he cannot let me live in the Solomons...if he did so within the next few months i'd start to bomb Rabaul back to stoneage....no, he need to dislodge me from there. To do that, once he discovered that the frontal clash was too expensive (remember the terrible landings at Tulagi) he wisely decided to advance slowly building an incredible chain of mutually supporting bases in order to strangle Lunga and starve it imposing a definitive air and naval blockade.

...and we have to fight still to remain alive and to gain time...time is on my side (as the old song says). He's now fully committed here, as am i. But every day i get new toys...and in April things will be changing.
With those 130 Hellcats (plus the 45 Wildcats, the 65 P-40Ks, the 30 Kitti and Spits V, the 30 Corsairs, the 40 P-38s and the 25 P-39s) i'll be able to stand a continuous defensive CAP over Lunga and Tulagi...and my walls will get stronger.
...and in April we'll start our counteroffensive from Karachi...we'll open another front again....and he'll have to divert more air assets there...

I'm the man on the wall. I'm the man of the watch. I will never surrender

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1832
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:29:29 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Wow, this is not the same GreyJoy as started this game for sure
Going to be interesting

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1833
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:33:05 PM   
vettim89

quote:

"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall"

Col. Nathan Jesup, USMC

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1834
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:35:33 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall"

Col. Nathan Jesup, USMC

Excatly! i was thinking at that precise movie (or book, whatever)

Col. Jessep, was you the one who ordered the "Code Red" ?

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1835
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:36:28 PM   
House Stark

When this is over I'll be interested to hear from Rader whether it was his plan all along to see if numbers could make up for poor pilot quality in the air, or whether or Greyjoy just forced him down that path by mauling his air force so badly over Karachi.

Greyjoy, I'm in the camp that says if you're holding in the air now, the Hellcat with its increased numbers and quality will ruin Rader's day.
Re-edited in: Also, was that an ASOIAF reference?

< Message edited by House Stark -- 8/3/2011 4:48:39 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1836
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:38:25 PM   
GreyJoy

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come"

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1837
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:52:59 PM   
Canoerebel

As a region, the Solomons and New Ireland really aren't that important, especially as you get later in the game.  There are regions that are much more important (for resources) or much closer to Japan's heart.

However, the Solomons/New Irelland have become important because that's where the two sides seem to be fighting their Guadalcanal. It really isn't important when and even if you conquer Shortlands, Rabaul, etc, though you may well eventually and can make good use of them.  What is important is that you are meeting in a titanic engagement that is bleeding Japan badly. Hear this:  The real focus of this campaign is to kill the enemy and destroy his assets.  As long as he's coming to you, you are fine and don't have to press your luck.  Eventually, as he weakens, you may have to push him a bit to get him to fight hard.  But for the moment you are safe to put expansion plans way on the back burner as you concentrate on creating killing fields.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/3/2011 4:53:41 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1838
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 4:56:15 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: House Stark

When this is over I'll be interested to hear from Rader whether it was his plan all along to see if numbers could make up for poor pilot quality in the air, or whether or Greyjoy just forced him down that path by mauling his air force so badly over Karachi.

Greyjoy, I'm in the camp that says if you're holding in the air now, the Hellcat with its increased numbers and quality will ruin Rader's day.

Well, considering how my training program is going, i won't call his pilots "poorly trained". My guess is that, by now, most of his pilots are 50 exp, 70 A2A and 40/50 def...so basically as good as mines when they come out of the training program.
The fact is that my front line pilots are all well beyond those standards. USAFF, AUS and Brit pilots actually flyin are all with exp 70+, with the A2A skill in their high 70s and Def between 50 and 60. These are all those pilots who survived the Battle for India.
While my USMC pilots are probably matching their japanese counterparts.

(in reply to House Stark)
Post #: 1839
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 5:02:55 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

As a region, the Solomons and New Ireland really aren't that important, especially as you get later in the game.  There are regions that are much more important (for resources) or much closer to Japan's heart.

However, the Solomons/New Irelland have become important because that's where the two sides seem to be fighting their Guadalcanal. It really isn't important when and even if you conquer Shortlands, Rabaul, etc, though you may well eventually and can make good use of them.  What is important is that you are meeting in a titanic engagement that is bleeding Japan badly. Hear this:  The real focus of this campaign is to kill the enemy and destroy his assets.  As long as he's coming to you, you are fine and don't have to press your luck.  Eventually, as he weakens, you may have to push him a bit to get him to fight hard.  But for the moment you are safe to put expansion plans way on the back burner as you concentrate on creating killing fields.

Precisely CR. That's exactly what i think. At the moment i cannot hope to go on the offensive. He's still too strong and i wanna risk another disaster like Tarawa or PM. I could not efford a third one, while the early conquest of the Solomons is offering me now the chance of actually fighting him without always being offbalance. If i can bleed him enough here, then i will be able to start thinking of something more strategically important for the year 1944 (basically DEI).

Obviously a drawback in the Solomons will hurt...but not as much as a failure in a amphibious operation far from my bases (Timor, Southern Dei, Kuriles or whatever).

Now i'm curious to see how India will unfold during the rest of 1943. I know he's buildind a lot in Burma (intel says he has some good eng units there) and he had time to dig well in!...sooner or later i'll be able to get out of Karachi and reconquer India back...so then, at least, he will have to face me on 2 fronts

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1840
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 5:19:22 PM   
vettim89

quote:

Dead on the mark! The SoPac is only important if it is the theater where you have the Japanese engaed in late 1942/early 1943. It is vitally important to keep the pressure on your opponent at this time to start the attrition of his air, naval, and to a lesser extent his ground forces. Where this occurs will be different in every game but the Allied player has to find an area the Japn plyer has to fight for at this point in the game to keep the pressure up.

For the Allies, the overall air battle is like an old time steam locomotive starting from a dead stop. At first you expend tremendous energy and seem to be going no where. Then you finally see some movement but it doesn't seem like you've accomplished much at all. Here is where you are wrong because once you have broken the moment of inertia you've done over half the work. Before you know it, you will be roaring down the tracks at top speed. The "moment of inertia" in the air battle is the high EXP (not air skill) of the Japanese fighter pilots. You can train pilots up to reasonable air skill in a few months. What you can't do is get high EXP without actually fighting. The problem early in the war is that not only are the Allied pliots inexperienced, but that they are largely flying inferior a/c. SO tehy tend to die before they can accumulate decent EXP. As your best pilots survive, they will eventually move into better a/c. Meanwhile, the Japan player will be seeing his high EXP pilots slowly erode from ops losses alone. However, the shoe is on the other foot for him as his new pilots find themselves in increasingly inferior a/c as compared to the Allies. You don't need to nor will you likely ever reach a point where your pilots will be on the same level as the Japanese early war pilots. Once you reach parity, the superior numbers of equal or better a/c will swing the air battle your way. Eventually most Japan players reach a point where they have the late war a/c with crappy pilots to fly them. There are some exceptions to this if a player is crafty and saves a reserve. Even then, that reserve is a limited resource than will eventually be expended.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1841
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 5:53:39 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

Dead on the mark! The SoPac is only important if it is the theater where you have the Japanese engaed in late 1942/early 1943. It is vitally important to keep the pressure on your opponent at this time to start the attrition of his air, naval, and to a lesser extent his ground forces. Where this occurs will be different in every game but the Allied player has to find an area the Japn plyer has to fight for at this point in the game to keep the pressure up.

For the Allies, the overall air battle is like an old time steam locomotive starting from a dead stop. At first you expend tremendous energy and seem to be going no where. Then you finally see some movement but it doesn't seem like you've accomplished much at all. Here is where you are wrong because once you have broken the moment of inertia you've done over half the work. Before you know it, you will be roaring down the tracks at top speed. The "moment of inertia" in the air battle is the high EXP (not air skill) of the Japanese fighter pilots. You can train pilots up to reasonable air skill in a few months. What you can't do is get high EXP without actually fighting. The problem early in the war is that not only are the Allied pliots inexperienced, but that they are largely flying inferior a/c. SO tehy tend to die before they can accumulate decent EXP. As your best pilots survive, they will eventually move into better a/c. Meanwhile, the Japan player will be seeing his high EXP pilots slowly erode from ops losses alone. However, the shoe is on the other foot for him as his new pilots find themselves in increasingly inferior a/c as compared to the Allies. You don't need to nor will you likely ever reach a point where your pilots will be on the same level as the Japanese early war pilots. Once you reach parity, the superior numbers of equal or better a/c will swing the air battle your way. Eventually most Japan players reach a point where they have the late war a/c with crappy pilots to fly them. There are some exceptions to this if a player is crafty and saves a reserve. Even then, that reserve is a limited resource than will eventually be expended.

Thanks for the anlysis vettim. It's sound and fair to my ears.
However we're, concerning this game, we're just making assumptions without any evidence. Rader could have taken out his KB top pilots and substituted them with freshly trained 50-70-50 pilots and we would not know it, presuming we're winning the air war.

Rader till now has always used his huge numbers to compensate whaetever i could put togheder. Let's not forget that he has more than 1000 fighters in the theatres with lots of superior Tojos (probably nearly 250 of them). he doesn't really need to have the upper hand in terms of pilot quality has long as he has infinite numbers of a/c to throw in the meatgrinder... no matter how good my pilots are (and, mind you, they are CRACK!)...they will eventually finish their ammos, fuel and get some damage and will need to land...and it's in that moment that the battle can be decided...at karachi my SpitsVIII were running HAVOC among his lines...but he managed still to get 3/400 helens getting through and bomb the hell out of my AF...
Anyway...we all know what we have to do now: fight -maybe with care and focus- but fight nonetheless.
So blow your war-horns and get ready to sacrifice!

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1842
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 6:04:02 PM   
GreyJoy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1843
RE: Ti-i-i-me is on my si-i-i-de, yes it is! - 8/3/2011 7:38:35 PM   
vettim89

Greyjoy,

I agree that it is best to never assume anything. Recent combat results may or may not be an indication of the true state of affairs. My post was more in the broader sense of things rather than looking at a single snapshot. My point was that even though it may not seem like it, you are winning the air war. Your airframe quality will change by leaps and bounds over the next few months. The one thing you have going for you that Radar never will is pilot survival no matter what aircraft he is using . Your airframes are much more likely to be damaged than destroyed and the code allocates a higher percentage of Allied pilots survive being shot down to simulate DUMBO and plane guard subs

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1844
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/3/2011 8:54:24 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

I've seen what appears to be a movement in supplies and/or fuel between Tulagi and Lunga, even though they are separate islands. Since your supplies are so important on Tulagi it wouldn't hurt to hoard them (or whatever the command is in the base panel).

Cheers,
CC

Not sure if anyone has commented on this yet but ports will move supplies, fuel, etc.. between themselves within a 1 hex range if the ports are large enough - size 3 I believe. The amount moved is determined by the smaller of the 2 ports. So it is feasible that Lunga and Tulagi are 'exchanging' supplies all on their own.

Xargun

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1845
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/3/2011 11:05:00 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

I've seen what appears to be a movement in supplies and/or fuel between Tulagi and Lunga, even though they are separate islands. Since your supplies are so important on Tulagi it wouldn't hurt to hoard them (or whatever the command is in the base panel).

Cheers,
CC

Not sure if anyone has commented on this yet but ports will move supplies, fuel, etc.. between themselves within a 1 hex range if the ports are large enough - size 3 I believe. The amount moved is determined by the smaller of the 2 ports. So it is feasible that Lunga and Tulagi are 'exchanging' supplies all on their own.

Xargun

Oh Lord...if i only knew that...

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 1846
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/3/2011 11:23:57 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

Cheers,
CC

Xargun

Oh Lord...if i only knew that...

That would be 500 times the size of the smaller port .. I see no port size restrictions. So a Level 3 port X 500 equates to the transfer of 1500 supplies per day. I wonder what the supply requirements are for a 80K IJA force? and the supply requirements for the other troops in the area? This is excess supply according to 9.3.3.3 if both hexes are starving or if the port with teh supplies does not have excess [setting supply required up to 25K plus and there is only 20K supplies] then the transfer does not take place. [according to the documentation]

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1847
You Know Nothing GreyJoy - 8/3/2011 11:54:39 PM   
GreyJoy

Another bloody day of furious battles

Feb 28, 1 Mar 43

Our big convoy arrived only in half...japanese reaction as predicted was fierce and strong and we lost several importan transport ships (3 precious AKs and 2 LSTs) due to this reaction, and 60 bloody planes during a series of badly coordinated missions over Russell Island...nonethless japanese losses are higher again

Ok, with some order.

First Releigh TF bombed the hell out of Thousands Ships Bay, destroying more than 20 planes on the ground and closing the base. My TF went away without a scratch.
The first night passed without problems, with my CD regiment safely unloading at Tulagi along with 16k supplies brought by AKs...

When the day came, the KB and his LBA launched a serie of stiff attacks towards Tulagi, Tassafaronga and Karakira. Results were terrible for him. He sunk those 3 AKs fleing from Tulagi and 3 little APs unloading at Tassafaronga (luckly they unloaded mostly everything before the end came), but losses were extremely high for him. 250 planes destroyed, among them a good number of KB zeros, Kates and Vals. Our CAP at Tulagi proved to be impenetrable.

The bad news of the day was that our SDB and torpedo bombers attacked a small convoy at Tassafaronga. The escort didn't shot up and we ended up right in the middle of a 50 fighters LRCAP...among the 120 planes lost today, most of them were lost during these horrible missions
However we managed to sink a big CM and a couple of PBs full of troops

2 of my LSTs were sunk by subs near Tulagi despite my CRACK air ASW there...

the 1st and 2nd USMC Para BNs, preceded by a carpet bombing of the 2Es from Ndani, conquered back Rennell Island. We'll evacuate them right away as usual

more mines were laid at Thousands and Russell island today and more defensive mines are coming to Lunga and Tassafaronga.

I'll give some rest now to some of my air units on the front line and will draw back the SDBs badly depleted...they will need more weeks of R&R

A good day overall. Our positions are stronger now.

An extract of some of today actions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Thousand Ships Bay at 114,136

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 23 damaged
A6M3a Zero: 7 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 18 damaged
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 3 destroyed on ground
A6M2-N Rufe: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Raleigh
DD Taylor
DD Cony
DD Chevalier
DD Fletcher

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 10
Runway hits 54
Port hits 17
Port supply hits 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Russell Islands at 113,136

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 1
A6M3a Zero x 18
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 4
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 28

Allied aircraft
P-40K Warhawk x 8
SBD-3 Dauntless x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 2 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 12 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
PB Okiyu Maru
PB Kosin Maru #3
CM Tokiwa
PB Tyuwa Maru

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Russell Islands at 113,136

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 1
A6M3a Zero x 9
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 8
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 23
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 13

Allied aircraft
Beaufort VIII x 9
A-24 Banshee x 25
P-40K Warhawk x 11
SBD-3 Dauntless x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort VIII: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 4 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CM Tokiwa, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
PB Okiyu Maru
PB Kosin Maru #3, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
PB Tyuwa Maru

Japanese ground losses:
723 casualties reported
Non Combat: 10 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 28 destroyed, 20 disabled

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Russell Islands at 113,136

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 7
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 2
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 13
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 7

Allied aircraft
P-40K Warhawk x 2
SBD-3 Dauntless x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 10 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
PB Tyuwa Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PB Okiyu Maru
PB Kosin Maru #3, heavy fires

Japanese ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 0 disabled

Morning Air attack on TF, near Tulagi at 114,137

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 132 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 49 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 20
D3A1 Val x 15

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 15
Kittyhawk IA x 1
Kittyhawk III x 17
Spitfire Vc Trop x 25
Hurricane XIIb x 1
P-39D Airacobra x 4
P-40K Warhawk x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 2 destroyed
D3A1 Val: 8 destroyed

No Allied losses

Morning Air attack on Tulagi , at 114,137

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 122 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 36 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 87

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 15
Kittyhawk IA x 1
Kittyhawk III x 14
Spitfire Vc Trop x 22
P-39D Airacobra x 1
P-40K Warhawk x 10
F4F-4 Wildcat x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 8 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk III: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1848
RE: You Know Nothing GreyJoy - 8/4/2011 1:06:19 AM   
GreyJoy

This is my prediction: RADER will arrive to smash the Solomons with everything, kitchen sink included!

He's gathering 145 units at Rabaul and 550 ships in port are spotted . He's not using his Tojos lately...nor he's using Helens...i think he's saving his best crews and aircraft for a general offensive in order to shut down all at once all my AFs and counterinvade with overwhelming forces. Pretty sure of that...knowing Rader that's exactly his way of thinking...always the hammer, no matter what.

And i think he's not waiting April. He's too good to let me get my precious hellcats. I bet the days of waiting are over...soon we'll see if the last 2 months of preparation have been enough to resist.

Reinforcing Tassafaronga with a CD unit and a marines Regiment, along with another Artillery Bn. More units are being flown in to Tulagi and to Tassafaronga, including tanks. Forts are up to 6 at Tassa, 5 at Tulagi and 7 at Lunga. 130k supplies are distributed along these bases.

Mines are being plotted on my bases, while we're thinking about a general strategy to keep our airspace open when the final offensive will begin...

Will be a clash of Titans.

...this is the right time to move from karachi. We won't wait anymore

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1849
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/4/2011 5:32:45 AM   
House Stark

Your probably right in that he'll bring the hammer down, since as you noted he doesn't seem to respond in half measures. Look at the bright side though, there will be a lot of targets for you. You only have to stop his air force one last time, and then you'll have hellcats and he won't be able to play the numbers game quite so well. Maybe try to just be a nuisance and use PT boats and small destroyer TFs to try and get at his invasion groups, drive them off, anything to buy time and try to hit something important. 130 hellcats means you probably can equip the first marine squadron within 40 days, so you just have to throw a couple wrenches in his plan and the tide could really start to turn. Maybe you could consider basing some or all of your CV air groups on land to assist in the defense without worrying about them getting swarmed by LBA. Or when the hellcats arrive give em to the carrier groups and put em on land-if they survive you'll have some elite carrier pilots of your own then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1850
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/4/2011 6:13:38 AM   
GreyJoy

Well...i'm ready to suffer...but with the right mood this time

It's going to be a slaughterhouse...landings...naval bombardments (we'll see his BBs be sure of that)...clashes of air armies...and then the Marines will be called to hold the ground...as long as possible...to stop the enemy on the beaches...it's going to be fun, no matter the final result!

Oh yes, you can be sure that i'll do my best to delay him, to squander his plans.
I presume he may still have 7000 AVs at hand for this operation...but 7000 AVs cannot be landed so easily at once...so i think he'll chose Tassafaronga, which is the closest one to his bases...and the less defended. He'll probably leave LUnga alone for the moment cause if he can get at Tassa, he can march all the way to Lunga. Will be a race now...i'll do my best to reinforce Tassafaronga. Would like to have there at least 2 Inf regiments, one CD unit, 1 AA unit, 3 Artillery units and a tank Bn if i manage to unload it down... HQ support will be provided by the 2 Corp HQs present at Tulagi and Lunga...and then...supplies supplies and more supplies!!!

Post #: 1851
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/4/2011 6:30:37 AM   
String

Have you thought about using your subs in point defence? If they are under your CAP umbrella then his ASW Helens will get shot down in droves by your CAP.

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1852
RE: The RN Worst Day - 8/4/2011 6:47:57 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Where's that popcorn symbol? Ah, there it is: . This just keeps getting more interesting. Kudos to both of your playing styles. In a 1943 war of attrition I don't see how the Allied player can lose, although he may get bloodied. And let's hope your Inchon landing succeeds like the real-life one did.

Anyway, good to see Xargun confirmed my point on supplies moving between adjacent island bases (maybe Alzheimer's hasn't set in just yet). The button I was trying to think of was "stockpile" on the base screen (which I'm sure you've figured out). In real life, it was pretty easy to move supplies between the two islands, so I would call it a feature, not a bug. It will allow you to land supplies at Lunga if Tulagi is too hot.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 1853
UH-AH - 8/4/2011 7:05:09 AM   
GreyJoy

Breaking news!

A major allied naval victory...the first of the war so far!

At the expense of 1 DD we got in the bad 3 CLs and 2 DDs ...confirmed Sunk

Ok, here it is...

First when the night of the 2nd March came, a raiding SCTF arrived at Tulagi to sweep my shippings.

2 modern japanese CLs (OI and Kitakami), supported by the old beast Kuma and by 2 DDs were faced by 6 allied DDs who were guarding the Savo approaches...
The Japanese commander managed to cross the T but my guys responded with brevery and courage and managed to give the japs their own medicine...the torpedoes!
Oi was badly hit and left behind by the rest of the TF which suddenly retired...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 02, 43
Night Time Surface Combat, near Tulagi at 114,137, Range 3,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma
CL Kitakami, Shell hits 1
CL Oi, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hatsuzuki, Shell hits 3
DD Makigumo, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD O'Bannon, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Woodworth
DD Bailey
DD Jarvis, Shell hits 1
DD McCall
DD Wilson, Shell hits 1, on fire

...just to find at Thousand Ships Bay my bombardment TF coming from Ndani...the japs were surprised to see an allied TF daring to move into enemy waters and got mauled...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Thousand Ships Bay at 114,136, Range 1,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Kitakami, Shell hits 21, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hatsuzuki, Shell hits 2, on fire

Allied Ships
CA Salt Lake City
CA Vincennes
CA Australia
CA Hawkins, Shell hits 7
DD Benham
DD Lang
DD Sterett, Shell hits 1
DD Dale

Then S-47 finished the job with the Oi at Tulagi (in point defence String)...
Sub attack near Tulagi at 114,137

Japanese Ships
CL Oi, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-47

Massive explosion on CL Oi
SS S-47 launches 4 torpedoes

....The Boise took the duty to finish the wreck....

Night Time Surface Combat, near Tulagi at 114,137, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Oi, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Boise
DD DeHaven
DD Nicholas
DD Radford
DD Saufley
DD Waller

Then we bombed Thousand...expended too many ammos on the CLs so results aren't terrific...
Night Naval bombardment of Thousand Ships Bay at 114,136

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 21 damaged
A6M3a Zero: 5 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 damaged
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed on ground
A6M2-N Rufe: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Hawkins
CA Australia
CA Vincennes
CA Salt Lake City

Japanese ground losses:
146 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 16
Port hits 12
Port supply hits 7

...and Finally one of my subs in the DEI managed to catch something...a lonely TK...
Submarine attack near Ternate at 77,102

Japanese Ships
TK Arima Maru #4, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Stingray

...then when the morning cam 250 Zeros started to sweep Tulagi...the battle raged through 2 days in a row...42 planes lost for the allies...84 for Japan....

Oh, forgot to say...we sunk another AMC which dared to move EAST of PH...that was a bold move...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Hilo at 213,116, Range 23,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
AMC Nosiro Maru, Shell hits 17, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BB Massachusetts
CL Santa Fe
DD Jenkins
DD LaVallette

Morning Air attack on Tulagi , at 114,137

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 163 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 48 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 68

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 6
Kittyhawk III x 16
Spitfire Vc Trop x 24
P-39D Airacobra x 51
P-40K Warhawk x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 2 destroyed

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1854
RE: UH-AH - 8/4/2011 7:32:46 AM   
jonreb31

Brilliant. The storm is going to get worse, but with victories like the former you may break Japan's back.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

The way I see it the more CV TFs you have the less flattop targets you have neatly lined up for your opponent's strike aircraft.

That's was true in WitP. Not true in AE, where strikes target hexes, not TFs. The more ACTFs there are, the greater is risk that some fall behind or react into enemy (to which carriers are notoriously prone), causing a piecemeal defeat.

As about 25-ship TFs, really big ACTFs have merit, due to reasons described above. Very big SCTFs are at a disadvantage. They have more ability to absorb punishment, but most of their ships won't actively participate in a surface battle before enemy disengages.

Corrected. Learn/Delearn something new every day

< Message edited by JonReb -- 8/4/2011 7:33:09 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1855
RE: UH-AH - 8/4/2011 7:55:35 AM   
GreyJoy

Another big japanese SCTF (with CAs in it) is reporting to be steaming south through the Iron Bottom Sound...we have to make a plan.
We have to consider that hordes of Tojos are ready to sweep my to oblivion.
I need both to cover my beaches with my ships and to cover my ships with my planes...the CAP point defence simply cannot last forever. Russell Island is now back open and fighters are already placed there...so we need to close it back again...we need to keep Thousand and Russell non-operative...and we need to be ready to face his SCTF...so i don't really wanna get caught by his big SCTF while i'm bombarding...

mmm....really tough calls...we also need to clean the route to Tulagi cause he flooded again the area with subs...despite my efforts his damned subs cannot never be push away once for all from an area...

...ok, i'll have to do some RL work this morning...but you know...who cares...let's study a plan

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 1856
RE: UH-AH - 8/4/2011 8:25:30 AM   
GreyJoy

Results of yesterday aerial battles over Tulagi. The Zeros came in waves (with the biggest one being composed of 96 a/c), but our resistance was stiff. Only the P-39s suffered badly despite being flying at their best altitude band (<10k ft).

The Australian Kittihawks and Spits Vc are doing wonders over Tulagi...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1857
RE: UH-AH - 8/4/2011 9:48:24 AM   
GreyJoy

Ok, important decisions taken...we'll gamble a bit...a complex coordinated operation, concerning naval actions, air and naval bombings, PT actions...risky but we may gain some more days...

Later i'll explain the details...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1858
RE: UH-AH - 8/4/2011 11:41:51 AM   
GreyJoy

Don't have much time for the details...however here's a brief summary:

The "balance" will be shifted to Lunga instead of Tulagi.
I've ordered a 200 a/c CAP over Lunga. Point defence. Range 0.
CL Boise along with 5 Fletchers DDs will move north to meet at Thousand Ships Bay the enemy SCTF steaming south.
Two Cleveland Class CLs, along with 4 Fletchers DDs will bomb at night thousand ships Bay hoping to close the AF for another day (100 planes spotted there).
A Heavy Cruiser TF, leaded by Astoria, will move during the night from Ndani. Early in the morning, at the first lights of the new day, this TF is suppose to Bombard Russell Island and to close the AF.
The CL Releigh, along with 5 DDs will move during the night to Tulagi and will departure the very same night, in order to be back at Ndeni by morning lights.

All my TFs will have to meet and retire at Lunga, under a strong CAP. We hope that he'll remain focused on Tulagi at least for tomorrow.

35 Torpedo Bombers are based at Lunga too.

18 corsairs based at Tassafaronga and 18 P-38s from Ndani will sweep Thousand Ships Bay, followed by 75 4Es.

More 400 mines are supposed to be layed tomorrow and the CD unit is unloading at Tassafaronga, while a Marine Rgt is marching from Lunga, along with a Tank Bn.

If he comes with his surface assets as it seem...it's going to be bloody!

HURRAH!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1859
RE: UH-AH - 8/4/2011 2:25:03 PM   
ny59giants

Command HQs (page 178 in manual) - I would have 2 of them within 18 hexes (preferably 9 hexes) to add their weight to any of you bases in the lower Solomons that you expect to have a battle where you will be able to counterattack. Select two bases and set them to prep for them...NOW!! Japan has very few Command HQs and you can use yours to swing a battle back towards your favor. Find leaders high in Land, Aggression, and Leadership.

Do you have an APDs left to use in Fast Transport TFs??

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The RN Worst Day Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI