Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Turn 22: The Salient closed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Turn 22: The Salient closed Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Turn 22: The Salient closed - 3/30/2011 10:00:15 PM   
Aditia

Judging from your screenshots you now have some soviets holding the line without (heavy) fortifications in place. Opportunity!

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 91
Turn 22: The Remaining front - 3/30/2011 10:00:18 PM   
fiva55

The Soviets, seemingly unconcerned about the presence of 2 panzer armies just 70 miles from Moscow, have started a general offensive along the entire front line. In the northern sector, every few hundred miles a small breakthrough is achieved by the enemy, but due to the lack of an effective Soviet reserve in the area, these are easily contained.

The south however, is an entirely different story. Seemingly without numbers, Soviet troops swarm our defences without regard for their lives. In the first week, the first line of fortifications of 6th and 17th Army are already breached, and several enemy divisions have positioned themselves in these breakthroughs.

Although we never expected a static defense line to hold off the enemy forever, shouldn't they at least have hold longer? Perhaps the long quiet in this sector has dulled the fighting skills of our troops. This however, is no excuse. The commanders of both 17th Army and 6th Army have been dismissed, replaced by respectively von Manstein and Walter Weiss. The original commanders have been recalled to Berlin to give a explanation for this disaster.

Our defensive lines, impressive looking from the air, proved to be incapable of stopping the Soviets

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 12:24:55 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 92
RE: Turn 22: The Salient closed - 3/30/2011 10:06:19 PM   
fiva55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aditia

Judging from your screenshots you now have some soviets holding the line without (heavy) fortifications in place. Opportunity!

I could probably advance towards Tula or Moscow, but holding it is out of the question. With my panzers getting more depleted every turn, I would just waste them to an inevitable counter attack. The way things are going, I will probably start attaching a infantry corps to my panzer armies, just to keep my panzers fresh.

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 93
Turn 23: Exspect the unexspected - 3/31/2011 12:06:00 AM   
fiva55

Having long been forewarned by the Abwehr about Soviet amphibious capabilities, the Crimea was reinforced by an additional 2 German infantry divisions during the mud season. These proved to be invaluable when the Soviets decided to attack Kerch with 3 of their guard units as part of their winter offensive.

In de 2nd winter week, a Soviet fleet was detected by the Luftwaffe. Predicting that this was a invasion fleet heading for the Crimea, troops on the peninsula where put on high alert.

The destination of this fleet however, proved to be different.

The Soviet fleet detected by the Luftwaffe, destination unknown

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 94
Overview of the Southern sector - 3/31/2011 12:12:12 AM   
fiva55

The Soviets, deciding to outflank our defences, land behind our front lines. Though such an amphibious operation should be easily contained, almost all our reserves in this sector are already committed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 12:16:32 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 95
RE: Overview of the Southern sector - 3/31/2011 1:24:57 AM   
Ketza

Excellent AAR.

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 96
RE: Overview of the Southern sector - 3/31/2011 3:51:29 AM   
krupp_88mm

Sir i am receiving concerning signs, please reflect on what the spirits advise you

The way of war is like the milky way in the sky; which is a number of smaller stars, not seen asunder, but giving battle together; so it is a number of little and scarce discerned decisions, or rather sacrifices and rewards, that make men stand fall and rise, in the face of the whole sky you must pick out the stars, upon looking for the comet you are hit by the sun.

< Message edited by krupp_88mm -- 3/31/2011 3:52:04 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 97
Turn 24: Hotspots in the northern sector - 3/31/2011 8:29:51 AM   
fiva55

It's impossible to cover every battle that happened during a turn in my post, but I will use turn 24 to give you a brief overview of the more interesting things that are happening, starting with the north.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 8:35:44 AM >

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 98
RE: Turn 24: The central sector - 3/31/2011 9:10:17 AM   
fiva55

In the central sector, the Kaluga pocket is slowly being eliminated. Intelligence suggest that we have trapped almost 2 entire armies in this the encirclement.

Advancing towards Moscow or Tula however, is becoming increasingly improbable. The Soviets have blocked our path with strong formations, and have even started attacking 4th Panzer Army, forcing some of our division back, but not before they inflict heavy losses on the enemy.

The plan has been altered for now. 4th Panzer will remain on the front, defending this part of the line until the following up infantry has finished mopping up the entrapped Soviets. The infantry will then take over the defensive positions of 4th Pz Army, allowing them to be relocated behind the front for some much needed refitting. 1st Panzer Army has already begun a slow withdrawal from the fronts, and will be relocated to the Southern sector for refitting and act as a reserve.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 10:04:14 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 99
Turn 24: The southern sector - 3/31/2011 9:48:09 AM   
fiva55

Down south, things aren't looking as good, but hopefully the situation has been stabilized.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 9:57:21 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 100
Turn 24: The Crimea - 3/31/2011 10:01:42 AM   
fiva55

And finally, the Crimea. It seems like the Soviets are planning something over here, though I have no idea what.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 10:02:54 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 101
Turn 25: Steel storm - 3/31/2011 4:13:40 PM   
fiva55

Time: 12/12/1942

In the morning of 12/12/1942, the sound of hundreds of tanks can be heard by the tank crew of 1st and 4th Panzer Army. Generaloberst Hoth immediately requests a recon flight from the Luftwaffe, and they oblige. A few hours later, the air crew bring back worrying news: a massive concentration of Soviet armour has been detected assembling just a few miles from our positions. With 2 panzerkorps of 1st Panzer Army already redeployed in the southern sector, our armour, worn down by weeks of constant fighting, are spread thin in front of the projected axis of the Soviet attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 4:14:40 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 102
Turn 25: A tactical retreat - 3/31/2011 4:34:45 PM   
fiva55

It is clear that we need to consolidate our lines, and 1st Pz and 4th Pz Army are ordered to fall back.

The Wiking SS Panzer Grenadier division however, against all orders, decides to pre-emptively attack the assembling Soviet spearheads. With support of panzer divisions of 1st Pz Army, they actually manage to rout several soviet tank corps, claiming over 200 tank kills.

With results like these it is hard to decide whether to congratulate or reprimand the division for their actions, but for now we can only hope that their actions have at least delayed the Soviet tanks offensive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 5:10:00 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 103
RE: Turn 25: A tactical retreat - 3/31/2011 8:13:53 PM   
Aditia

ohh, those are 2 awesome pics. This AAR must be of one of the most fun games I have seen played thus far. For your opponent it must feel nice to be able to take some initiative again after all the setbacks he experienced.

Even tho I don't like the whole "most units in static mode", this seems to be one hell of a fun scenario (and maybe without less micromanaging than the 41-45 campaign?).

If you and your opponent would be willing to give an evaluation of the scenarion, with definite do's and dont's somewhere, that would be awesome

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 104
Turn 25: Overview of the southern sector - 3/31/2011 9:19:45 PM   
fiva55

In the south, things seems to be stabilizing. The enemy beachhead in our rear has been eliminated, and fresh reserves have arrived. With 2 panzer korps of 1st panzer army already in place and the rest of the army coming in the next week, the chance of a major Soviet breakthrough in this sector seems to be minimal.

Instead, a careful eye will be kept on the advancing Soviets. If a weak spot appears, von Kleist has been authorized to exploit the situation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 9:22:05 PM >

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 105
RE: Turn 25: A tactical retreat - 3/31/2011 9:45:44 PM   
fiva55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aditia

ohh, those are 2 awesome pics. This AAR must be of one of the most fun games I have seen played thus far. For your opponent it must feel nice to be able to take some initiative again after all the setbacks he experienced.

Even tho I don't like the whole "most units in static mode", this seems to be one hell of a fun scenario (and maybe without less micromanaging than the 41-45 campaign?).

If you and your opponent would be willing to give an evaluation of the scenarion, with definite do's and dont's somewhere, that would be awesome

I find it a fun scenario. Indeed, since a general advance all across the board is impossible, there is less counter shoving. That doesn't necessary mean less micromanaging though. It totally depends on how much time you are willing to spend on it.

Planning an offensive does take me some time, and the transfer of forces to an assembly area or threatened sector, activating the static troops and dismissing leaders can all be counted as micromanaging. Whereas in the 41 scenario, everything is already very much in it's place and ready to go. Though I assume if you wanted to start a historic offensive in the 42 scenario, it would indeed mean a whole lot less micromanaging, since you basically just control one army group.

As for do's and dont's, I obviously can't speak for the Soviets, but my opponent seems to like saving up his tanks. We will see how it works out for him. I will invite Jajusha back once the spring mud appears, so he can give you the do's and dont's.

Germans though, I can give you some playtips. In my opinion 1942 should be used shortening your lines, instead of rushing towards Stalingrad. Though an offensive in the south is tempting with all the 1=1 enemy units there, the only thing you will achieve in the end is overextending your already thin lines. Instead, taking Leningrad or eliminating the 2 Soviet salients are good targets for an offensive. A careful eye should also be kept on your armoured forces, less you lose too much of your offensive strength. Obviously, you should also try to destroy as much enemy units as possible, hoping to even the odds (a man can dream, right? ).

I also prefer to restructure my panzer armies, focussing all my mobile forces in a few armies, instead of spreading them out. Regiments are also reformed into divisions asap, though that is not always possible. The last 2 things are just my personal play style though, so feel free to disagree.

Also check Tarhunna's 42 GC AAR, he's playing German and is somewhere around turn 40 I believe. You might pick up some more tips there.

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 10:39:12 PM >

(in reply to Aditia)
Post #: 106
Turn 26: All along the front - 3/31/2011 10:12:15 PM   
fiva55

In the South, we allow the Soviets to slowly push us back. The intention is to make the Soviets overconfident, allowing 1st panzer to encircle and destroy them.

Meanwhile, in the central sector, the Kaluga pocket has finally been eliminated, with as result 33 infantry divisions and 9 armor brigades destroyed. Almost 250.000 prisoners have been taken, a great moral booster for our heavily outnumbered troops. 4th Panzer will for now remain in place until the infantry has the chance to dug in.

In the north, the Soviets manage to blast several more holes in our line, and our mobile reserves aren't enough to counter attack every incursion. Still, it seems that Operation Redemption, the planned offensive of 18th Army, is going well. Hopefully this will relieve the pressure on our frontlines in the northern sector.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 10:13:05 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 107
Turn 26: Operation Redemption - 3/31/2011 10:27:57 PM   
fiva55

18th army, infamous because of its looting and plundering of Leningrad, had finally been given the option to redeem themselves in begin December of 1942. They had volunteered to spearhead an offensive launched from the Finnish border, where heavy forest and swamps formed a natural defensive barrier. Projected casualties for this offensive were enormous, but OKH deemed the operation necessary to keep Soviet reserves in the north.

Luckily, 18th Army was supported by 2 Finnish armies. The Fins, experts in artic warfare, proved to be invaluable during the course of the operation. Their expertise allowed 18th army to overrun the Soviet border garrisons with relative ease, and great progress was made in the first few weeks of the offensive.

In the heavy woods near the borders of Finland, the Germans encountered a type of warfare that they hadn't experienced before. Luckily, the Fins, as seen here in this picture, were experts in this kind of warfare. Having faced the Soviets in similar conditions before, their presences was a large factor for the initial success of the operation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/31/2011 10:33:07 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 108
RE: Turn 25: A tactical retreat - 3/31/2011 10:34:47 PM   
hfarrish

I would second Fiva on the general objective as I am entering the winter in the same scenario. My tack was to launch a limited attack in the South with the armies at hand which I used to create two large pockets, then shifted north towards Tula to create another smaller pocket while seeing if I could press to Moscow...I then shifted north to try something similar to his approach on the pocket west of Moscow while at the same time building for an attack on Leningrad. This made sense because even with all the advantages in the South you can't help but see it becomes a push to nowhere that you can't possibly hold with the resources at hand.

Because I used all of AGS's southern panzers in the initial offensive, it took me too long to reorganize for the attack on the pocket (exacerbated by my very limited German experience to begin with) and I had to adjust and take a smaller bite out of the Southern side of it. I did let my infantry push on in the South which was a mistake as it became generally disorganized and eventually had to be pulled back without much of a fight, only weaker than it was when it went hurtling out that way.

< Message edited by hfarrish -- 3/31/2011 10:42:13 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 109
Turn 27: Weapons of war - 4/1/2011 12:49:27 PM   
fiva55

In the final week of 1942, the front has very much been stabilized. Progress in the north is slowing down, hindered by terrain and stiffening resistance. In the central sector, Soviets achieve small breakthroughs every few miles, but these are easily contained. In the south, it looks like von Manstein has managed to salvage the situation, and we are still holding the 2nd defensive line.

This seems be to a good time to look at the new weapons of war, employed by the Soviets and Germans:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 4/1/2011 12:52:51 PM >

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 110
Turn 28-29: Start of a new year, overview of the South - 4/1/2011 3:35:41 PM   
fiva55

With the start of a new year, OKH has decided to give all the frontline commanders a brief overview of the front, less they lose sight of the bigger picture.

Starting with some good news, von Manstein has guaranteed us that the southern sector is secure, and no Soviet will break through in this area. Trusting his judgement and acknowledging his skill, von Manstein has been transferred to another post, where he is much more needed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 111
Turn 28-29: overview of the central sector - 4/1/2011 3:47:00 PM   
fiva55

In the central sector, thanks to the presence of 4rd panzer army, the front near Kaluga is secure and unlikely to fall. A little north of this location however, where the infantry remnants of 3rd Panzer Army are stationed, the situation is looking grim. Stripped of all its armor, 3rd Panzer Army did an admirable job holding the line. Despite several breakthroughs, counterattacks managed to drive off the Soviets time and time again. A month heavy fighting however, ensured that many of its divisions are in need of refitting. The Soviets, apparently having noticed this, have increased the pressure on this part of the front. Sensing that 3rd panzer is in danger of collapsing, a panzerkorps has been diverted from Kaluga in order to stabilize the situation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 112
Turn 28-29: overview north - 4/1/2011 4:03:37 PM   
fiva55

In the north, the situation has become a stalemate. After great initial success, 18th army is unable to advance much further.
Becoming increasingly weary due to a month of constant fighting in very hard conditions, they too are in much need of some rest and refitting.
The commander of 18th Army has repeatedly asked OKH to dispatch 4th panzer to help their offensive, but all request have been denied.
Rumours have even begun to appear that 18th Army has been forgotten, left to die as punishment for their actions in Leningrad.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 113
RE: Turn 28-29: overview north - 4/1/2011 4:17:29 PM   
Q-Ball

This is an excellent AAR, love the screenshots and pictures. Makes mine look like grade school stuff by comparison!!!

Given the increase in Infantry Divisions in 1942, I think the Germans probably have to make one of the Panzer Armies an "Infantry Army" like you did. After 1941, you probably need to concentrate Panzers in a couple points only for offensives. There are too many German Infantry Divisions to use only the Infantry Army HQs, especially one you lose 11th Army. If my math is right, 16 Divisions is the max (assuming 4 Corps of 4 Divisions each), meaning after 11th is gone, you can lead 112 Divisions (7 Armies x 16)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 114
RE: Turn 28-29: overview north - 4/1/2011 8:58:31 PM   
MrLongleg

Great AAR - keep it up.

If I think about how many Russians you took out and seeing the masses you still face it becomes more and more clear that even under perfect circumstances German auto victory is not achievable against a human.

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 115
RE: Turn 28-29: overview north - 4/1/2011 10:13:36 PM   
fiva55

Ty for the compliments guys, makes it worth the effort too take the time to write the AAR .

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haudrauf1962
If I think about how many Russians you took out and seeing the masses you still face it becomes more and more clear that even under perfect circumstances German auto victory is not achievable against a human.

Lol it is indeed getting a bit depressing, seeing the Soviet outnumbering me all over the front. I too believe that a victory is impossible against a decent opponent, but a draw should be achievable with some skill. Now that I have shortened my lines considerably, I could probably prevent the Soviets from reaching Berlin, should I decide to remain defensive for the rest of the war, just using my panzer armies to contain major breakthroughs. There isn't much fun in writing an AAR about that though, so have no fear, a summer offensive is already being planned!

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 116
Turn 30: Where is von Manstein? - 4/1/2011 10:30:01 PM   
fiva55

In the greatest secrecy, Germany's third and probably final Panzer army has just recently been reformed. Von Manstein, having proved his skill during the defence of the southern sector, has been chosen to lead this army.

This fresh army, although not yet battle tested and still lacking one corps, will have its baptise of fire in the northern sector, where they will be send to help out 18th army in their offensive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 117
RE: Turn 30: Where is von Manstein? - 4/1/2011 10:58:57 PM   
krupp_88mm

quote:

In the greatest secrecy, Germany's third and probably final Panzer army has just recently been reformed. Von Manstein, having proved his skill during the defence of the southern sector, has been chosen to lead this army.

This fresh army, although not yet battle tested and still lacking one corps, will have its baptise of fire in the northern sector, where they will be send to help out 18th army in their offensive.

]

< Message edited by krupp_88mm -- 4/1/2011 11:00:22 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 118
Turn 30: Everything has it's price - 4/2/2011 1:12:42 PM   
fiva55

I seem to have discovered the joy of micromanaging, and finishing turns is taking a lot longer then before. Still, I have build up a sufficiently large enough backlog to update some more.

---------------------------------------------

Tactical surprise was achieved, and the panzers of 2nd Panzer brushed aside the weak defenders in front of their axis of attack with ease. The main obstacle, as would be proven later, was the harsh terrain and the long distance that 2nd Panzer Army had to cover in order to reach 18th Army. Perhaps being to careful, von Manstein had chosen to assemble his forces too far from the front. This would later prove fatal for the anticipated fast link up with 18th army.

2nd Panzer moving north towards their comrades of 18th Army. After some initial fierce fighting, the way north seemed clear of all enemies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 4/6/2011 1:18:15 PM >

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 119
Turn 30: End of turn overview - 4/2/2011 1:25:08 PM   
fiva55

It is as we feared. Despite weak enemy resistance, 2nd panzer only managed to advance 30 miles into enemy territory. The presence of a 3rd fresh panzerkorps to exploit the breakthrough was sorely missed, and the chance of a quick link up with 18th army is now all but impossible. There is some good news though: 18th army, having heard about 2nd Panzer trying to link up with them, have redoubled their efforts to push south, and have finally managed to make some progress.

By now, being very familiar with the Soviet tactics of almost instantly reinforcing a threatened sector, OKH has decided to relocate an additional panzerkorps of 4th Panzer to help the push north.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Turn 22: The Salient closed Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI