Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Three Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Three Questions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Three Questions - 4/2/2011 6:19:29 PM   
Lion9

Hi Vic and everyone,

Long time hex-gamer, since Avalon Hill's "D-Day" and I am considering the purchase of ATG. I have a few questions that will help me decide if this game will work for me and fit my limited budget.

[btw Vic -- I was on your original site for 3 or 4 weeks -- back in '04 I think it was when you introduced your first game. Good to see that you are as friendly and accessible now as you ever were then! ]

1) I have read through many of the threads on your WW2 module, and wonder if ALL of the features -- especially WRT those unique WW2 graphics and scenarios, will be included with ATG? Or, should I buy the "AT WW2 module" game separately?

2) Has anyone made a mod for WW2 ETO grand strategy that has a scale of ~ 50 miles per hex? One that will work in ATG? For one instance, similar to SSI's old dos classic -- "Clash of Steel?" I haven't YET found a really good computer HEX game made at that scale. Though, good to see that Matrix is yet faithful to the WiF-FE project!

3) I am assuming that any scenario -- either included with ATG or in "the bank" -- that is labeled "human vs human only," could also be played as HOTSEAT? True or not true?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on these 3 questions.

Post #: 1
RE: Three Questions - 4/2/2011 6:24:24 PM   
Jeffrey H.

#3 is a yes. You'll have to run a PBEM type game and use the same passwords. It might be a bit klutzy, having to load and unload the file everytime. Never tried it myself.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 2
RE: Three Questions - 4/2/2011 6:35:39 PM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

#3 is a yes. You'll have to run a PBEM type game and use the same passwords. It might be a bit klutzy, having to load and unload the file everytime. Never tried it myself.

Thanks for the reply, but are you saying that I would have to send EM's to myself? That there is no "hotseat" choice on the start-game menu?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: Three Questions - 4/2/2011 9:40:12 PM   
Jeffrey H.

AT-WWII, not ATG, has no "hotseat" option. There isn't any intrinsic email function either. You need to have a game file. The way it wouldwork is you would need to "save and close" at the end of your turn and then reload immediately and use the file you just saved to your HD. A bit klutzy but possible.

I'm not sure if ATG will be any different.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 4
RE: Three Questions - 4/2/2011 10:41:54 PM   
Ande

wait what?
In AT-WWII you can start a game with two or any number of human players. Each player submits a password before their first turn. At the end of each turn there is the option "save & quit" for saving files for pbem games. There is also the option of "start turn". Selecting that option will prompt for the subsequent players password and upon recieving this that player can do his turn. By any definition of hotseat I know, this is it.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: Three Questions - 4/3/2011 12:00:28 AM   
Tac2i

And if your playing hotseat, you can dispense with passwords if you wish.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to Ande)
Post #: 6
RE: Three Questions - 4/3/2011 3:38:05 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ande

wait what?
In AT-WWII you can start a game with two or any number of human players. Each player submits a password before their first turn. At the end of each turn there is the option "save & quit" for saving files for pbem games. There is also the option of "start turn". Selecting that option will prompt for the subsequent players password and upon recieving this that player can do his turn. By any definition of hotseat I know, this is it.

Yep, that sounds like it to me. I haven't tried it myself.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Ande)
Post #: 7
RE: Three Questions - 4/3/2011 3:22:46 PM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

And if your playing hotseat, you can dispense with passwords if you wish.

Thanks to you and Ande for the clarifications. I will presume -- unless eventually told O/W -- that ATG will ALSO have this same ease of hotseat play.

Reason it is one of the main deciding purchase-factors for me is simply this: my son will come over every couple weeks or so and our respective wives will go out for a Ladies "mad-money" Day, and he and I will spend 4 or 5 hours playing one of the many computer wargames that I have -- hotseat.

When he was younger, we would play chess and also board war-games together -- we started early and with an easy one (... AH's "War at Sea") and graduated to the tougher encounters as he got older. At last we even managed to complete a full game of "Advanced Third Reich." Gave us then, and gives us now a great opportunity to re-establish old kinship. Fathers and sons have enough trouble bridging the "generation gap" as is, so having a shared common interest is ideal. Can't do much better than war-gaming, IMO.

And too, I like to occasionally play a scenario where I seriously play both sides, same way I would have to do it with A3R or WiF-FE when there were no easily apprehended human opponents. Really, it's one good way to learn the best possible strategies & tactics -- from both sides and simultaneously.

However, it does seem as though Vic might? Wish to actually put a selector button on the start-game UI? Would not apply to many scenarios, especially those that are random generated, but for all of the "HvsH" type scenarios, well, wouldn't that make it easier all around? IDK, maybe not.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 8
RE: Three Questions - 4/3/2011 3:36:15 PM   
Lion9

And so, we are left with 2 other questions, well, I am anyhow. If anyone knows something about these next 2, I would really appreciate further clarification.

1) Will those cool WW2-and-People-specific unit graphics be bundled with ATG? I would hope so, say, as an option that can be simply selected -- maybe in a drop down, one-click choice. Or might they be available later as an easily installed update?

2) Does anyone know if there is a WW2 ETO GS (... ~40-50 mile per hex) scenario? Again, I am thinking of something like SSI's old COS comptuer game. Since I don't own the first AT game, I can't DL any of those WW2 strategic scenarios to check for myself. Would if I could!

Side note for Vic: I wonder if it would be a good idea to include the SCALE on each individual scenario descriptor? You can take any map, even if no scale is provided and simply calculate distance between cities and come up with a fairly accurate hex-scale, I would guess. I wouldn't mind also seeing each scenario-creator provide a short and concise description, sort of a brief "designer's notes" so that all of us could better estimate playability.

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 9
RE: Three Questions - 4/4/2011 7:26:17 AM   
Grymme

1) dont know what graphics you mean, but if it the ones included in the ATG previews they should be there.

2) Here is a list of more or less all known scenarios for AT & some known for ATG. There are at least a couple of ETO scenarios, one of them an official scenario included in AT. Dont know the exact scale.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2759761

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 10
RE: Three Questions - 4/6/2011 8:20:15 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lion9

2) Does anyone know if there is a WW2 ETO GS (... ~40-50 mile per hex) scenario? Again, I am thinking of something like SSI's old COS comptuer game. Since I don't own the first AT game, I can't DL any of those WW2 strategic scenarios to check for myself. Would if I could!

hi there,

I think tom webers europe 1939 (included in AT(Gold)) and world at war scenarios (several versions on scenariobank and revamp packed with AT Gold) come very close to that scale.

Sadly i have no time to categorize user made scenarios on scale and stuff, basicly if you want to play scenarios that conform to strict scales and unit sizes and are very well documented and explained you might try Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris.

best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 11
RE: Three Questions - 4/7/2011 6:30:23 PM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

quote:

hi there,

I think tom webers europe 1939 (included in AT(Gold)) and world at war scenarios (several versions on scenariobank and revamp packed with AT Gold) come very close to that scale.

Sadly i have no time to categorize user made scenarios on scale and stuff, basicly if you want to play scenarios that conform to strict scales and unit sizes and are very well documented and explained you might try Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris.

best,
Vic

Thanks Vic (and everyone) for the responses.

1) The graphics are fine. No, better than only fine -- they are deftly done.

2) I can play any ATG game, whether "random" or a scenario -- "hotseat," so that concern is completely solved.

3) There is an ETO GS scenario included that is ~ 50 miles per hex (~ 90 km) I gather, so I am very glad to "officially" hear that.

All criteria mentioned in this thread -- satisfied? Check.

Having now had sufficient time to read through very many of the pertinent threads (especially helpful was Webizen's "concepts & tips" and "reference guide" -- thanks for those), and having visited the other VR sites, I am quite satisified that this game will prove to be great fun for years to come and I will most cetainly buy it and try it! Too and FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any other long-time hex-game player either. Like everyone else equally interested, I am merely awaiting the official release.

Later today would be nice!

I will surely take a long look at your other game Vic, and will also look forward to whatever comes next. My preference would be for an elaborate game that would "magnify" the Mediterranean -- air, land and naval wars, to include a complete North Afrika campaign and perhaps encompassing -- Yugo, Greece and the AB assualt on Crete (the original Avalon Hill game was excellent) and the US invasion of Rik's Place there in Casablanca. Maybe even the complete Italian campaigns, to include Anzio and Monte Cassino?

IMHO, "War in the East" has been done so many times (most recently by Grigsby, and not to omit the scenario included with ATG) that maybe it might be saved for later? Well, that decision is well beyond my pay-grade, so I'll just have to wait and see what... develops.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 12
RE: Three Questions - 4/7/2011 7:39:56 PM   
MemoryLeak

I don't have AT. I had intended to purchase ATG but I was reading the threads about AT and the lack of a decent manual. I ws going thru the supply guide for Newbies and about how the manualis severly lacking necessary information. And I was reading this thread about some "concepts and tips and tricks". I tried searching but no results. Can you tell me where that post is located?
I really dislike trying to muddle thru game mechanics without any useful reference manual. Historically I have always had great difficulty in comprehending game supply rules. They usually are not consistent in what they name a certain item from one screen to another, or the terms they use are confusing or down-right misleading.

DOH! I was looking in the wrong section. I just spotted the tips and tricks.

< Message edited by MemoryLeak -- 4/7/2011 7:53:19 PM >

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 13
RE: Three Questions - 4/7/2011 8:31:48 PM   
Tac2i

ATG: Key Concepts and Tips
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2756292

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 14
RE: Three Questions - 4/7/2011 10:40:14 PM   
MemoryLeak

Do you believe since ATG is an improved version of AT that I should wait for ATG to be released or is AT a very good product that I would use in addition to ATG? I just have a feeling that ATG is mainly a correction of defecienies or a fixing of problems, so that I would immediately shelve AT after playing ATG.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 15
RE: Three Questions - 4/7/2011 11:11:06 PM   
Tac2i

I would definitely recommend that you wait. ATG should be released very soon and it is backward compatible with AT.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MemoryLeak

Do you believe since ATG is an improved version of AT that I should wait for ATG to be released or is AT a very good product that I would use in addition to ATG? I just have a feeling that ATG is mainly a correction of defecienies or a fixing of problems, so that I would immediately shelve AT after playing ATG.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 16
RE: Three Questions - 4/7/2011 11:20:15 PM   
tweber

quote:

hi there,

best,
Vic

WAW uses two scales. The European scale just under 40 miles per hex (e.g., 20 hexes from Warsaw to Moscow which is about 750 miles). I found a nice application call google tile maps that puts together maps for any sets of lats and longs at a variety of scales.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 17
RE: Three Questions - 4/8/2011 12:16:16 AM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweber

quote:

hi there,

best,
Vic

WAW uses two scales. The European scale just under 40 miles per hex (e.g., 20 hexes from Warsaw to Moscow which is about 750 miles). I found a nice application call google tile maps that puts together maps for any sets of lats and longs at a variety of scales.

I have had a look at your WAW in the Mod thread, tweber, and it looks quite accomplished.

Vic has mentioned that another of your scenarios -- Europe 39 -- will also be included. Couple of questions for you:

1) What is the scale for Europe 39, and

2) Does it have an AI? Or can it only be played HvsH or hotseat?

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 18
RE: Three Questions - 4/8/2011 3:43:27 PM   
TPM

quote:

Jus want to chime in and say that I would like to see something like this as well...I loved Clash of Steel!

Sorry, just read the other posts...guess we've got it with tweber's scenarios. Thanks.

< Message edited by TPM -- 4/8/2011 3:46:58 PM >

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 19
RE: Three Questions - 4/8/2011 5:25:51 PM   
GrumpyMel

Lion9,

Welcome aboard. You'll find a very freindly community of users here for Vic's excellent game and plenty of potential opponents if you ever feel like flexing your PBEM muscles.

I would definately reccomend browsing through the AT scenerio bank, if you have the interest. One of the amazing things about the AT series is the flexibilty of the engine and the editor. I think you'll find a wide variety of scenerio's available covering many periods and scales. As I understand it, the scenerio's designed for classic AT should be playable under ATG.

Pretty much the only scale AT doesn't handle well (ironicaly enough) is tactical...as there is no facility LOS and a few other things that really only come into play on the tactical level. But you should have no problems finding a plethora of strategic and operational scenerio's.

< Message edited by GrumpyMel -- 4/8/2011 5:26:16 PM >

(in reply to TPM)
Post #: 20
RE: Three Questions - 4/8/2011 6:28:04 PM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

Lion9,

Welcome aboard. You'll find a very freindly community of users here for Vic's excellent game and plenty of potential opponents if you ever feel like flexing your PBEM muscles.

Thanks for that GrumpyMel. PBEM is certainly something I will do -- later, once I have learned the intracies of Vic's new game. Since I have not had the pleasure of playing the first AT, it will take some while to attain sufficient ATG-knowledge so that I might prove a worthy opponent. Reading through the various AAR's I can easily notice that very many are not only enthused about this game, but are also doggone good at it. Yourself included.

quote:

I would definately reccomend browsing through the AT scenerio bank, if you have the interest. One of the amazing things about the AT series is the flexibilty of the engine and the editor. I think you'll find a wide variety of scenerio's available covering many periods and scales. As I understand it, the scenerio's designed for classic AT should be playable under ATG.

I have already looked through the scenario bank and am satisfied that I will be able to find something suitable. I guess the older scenarios will have to be updated to include Vic's newest features, such as the "ore and oil" requirements. That alone changes things quite a bit I would guess, since you can no longer just stamp out the steel so to speak, but instead must build a more balanced OOB. As it should be.

Apparently, there are very many -- though, a few who do seem to excell at the creation of mods -- strategic choices available. The "grand strategy" is my first choice, but am not loathe to play a good tactical game either.

Here I will once again request that tweber let me know what is the scale and AI-ability of his Europe 39 scenario when he might have a spare moment.

I intend to buy the game anyhow, but like the eternal kid in the war-gaming store (... so many great stores of yore have gone under, and it's a shame really, but the new world waits for no man I guess) I am pleasantly anxious to know IF I will have that scenario akin to "Clash of Steel" or not?

quote:

Pretty much the only scale AT doesn't handle well (ironicaly enough) is tactical...as there is no facility LOS and a few other things that really only come into play on the tactical level. But you should have no problems finding a plethora of strategic and operational scenerio's.

RE: My question to tweber, I am interested to know if his Europe 39 that Vic has mentioned as being included with ATG, also has an AI?

And, if not, can I take that scenario and study up on the very helpful instructions that are pinned elsewhere, and TRY to insert a workable AI myself? Having been around the hex-gaming block for more years than I care to mention, I am fair satisified that well over HALF of the computer gamers do enjoy playing solo. I am one of those. Heck, I enjoy all kinds of well-crafted games, pixel or cardboard... yeah, true, I do miss the sound and the fury of rolling out those fickle dice!

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 21
RE: Three Questions - 4/8/2011 7:50:26 PM   
GrumpyMel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrumpyMel

Lion9,

Thanks for that GrumpyMel. PBEM is certainly something I will do -- later, once I have learned the intracies of Vic's new game. Since I have not had the pleasure of playing the first AT, it will take some while to attain sufficient ATG-knowledge so that I might prove a worthy opponent. Reading through the various AAR's I can easily notice that very many are not only enthused about this game, but are also doggone good at it. Yourself included.

quote:

I have already looked through the scenario bank and am satisfied that I will be able to find something suitable. I guess the older scenarios will have to be updated to include Vic's newest features, such as the "ore and oil" requirements. That alone changes things quite a bit I would guess, since you can no longer just stamp out the steel so to speak, but instead must build a more balanced OOB. As it should be.

Apparently, there are very many -- though, a few who do seem to excell at the creation of mods -- strategic choices available. The "grand strategy" is my first choice, but am not loathe to play a good tactical game either.

Here I will once again request that tweber let me know what is the scale and AI-ability of his Europe 39 scenario when he might have a spare moment.

I intend to buy the game anyhow, but like the eternal kid in the war-gaming store (... so many great stores of yore have gone under, and it's a shame really, but the new world waits for no man I guess) I am pleasantly anxious to know IF I will have that scenario akin to "Clash of Steel" or not?

quote:

RE: My question to tweber, I am interested to know if his Europe 39 that Vic has mentioned as being included with ATG, also has an AI?

And, if not, can I take that scenario and study up on the very helpful instructions that are pinned elsewhere, and TRY to insert a workable AI myself? Having been around the hex-gaming block for more years than I care to mention, I am fair satisified that well over HALF of the computer gamers do enjoy playing solo. I am one of those. Heck, I enjoy all kinds of well-crafted games, pixel or cardboard... yeah, true, I do miss the sound and the fury of rolling out those fickle dice!

Actualy the abiility to do resources already existed in the classic AT engine/editor. It just wasn't incorporated into the standard random games generated by AT. So don't be surprised to see resources in many of the classic AT scenerio's.... I know I made use of them in some of the ones I wrote.

Really, you can do so much with the editor...that for some of the scenerio's it almost feels like playing a completely different game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm HUGELY looking forward to the new features in ATG...... but the foundation for many of the things in there can be found in the classic AT editor.

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 22
RE: Three Questions - 4/9/2011 9:54:18 AM   
Vic

@grumpymel,

its the same scenario thats included with regular at.. its years old actually. sorry if i gave the impression its anything new.

the new scenarios tom did for ATG only are: a new WAW scenario, a new Eastfront scenario and a new Pacific scenario.

best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 23
RE: Three Questions - 4/9/2011 5:03:56 PM   
freeboy

are we goingto get these scenarios with purchase of atg?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 24
RE: Three Questions - 4/9/2011 8:59:39 PM   
Keunert

yes you get them for free from the scenario bank

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Three Questions - 4/10/2011 4:58:24 PM   
Lion9

quote:

@grumpymel,

its the same scenario thats included with regular at.. its years old actually. sorry if i gave the impression its anything new.

Exactly what are you referring to when you say -- "the same scenario?" Are you talking about the 39 Europe scenario that you had initially mentioned and that I (and not Grumpymel) had asked about earlier in this thread?? So, unless told O/W, I assume then that we will NOT have that "Clash of Steel" kind of 90 km scaled scenario included with ATG?

quote:

the new scenarios tom did for ATG only are: a new WAW scenario, a new Eastfront scenario and a new Pacific scenario.

OK, I think I have this straight... tweber's scenarios are just the 3 that you mentioned. Only one of which (Eastfront) has an AI, correct? Therefore you must be the kind of game-player who PREFERS to play HvsH and PBEM -- in order to enjoy the MAIN scenarios being (just now) offered? I mention once again that very many gamers, including myself, MOSTLY play solo games, and for that, it seems, we are pretty much limited to "random generation." Really not sure WHY it would be so problematical for you or Matrix to simply list all of the scenarios, and the scale, and whether they are AI playable or not?

It's like when you buy a new car, you kick the tires and look under the hood and sit in the driver's seat to see how that feels and in general examine all facets of the vehicle BEFORE you buy, no?

Which leads us to the next question -- are there any other ATG-specific scenarios that also have an AI?

Or is the case that we will have to use the OLD AT game (included with ATG) in order to play all those scenarios in the "bank?" That is, UNTIL such time as the old scenarios are updated, and/or -- NEW scenarios are created?

I would imagine they would NEED to be updated due to the new features and rules (such as -- stacking limits, and intercept-uncertainty and many others), but please, correct me if I am mistaken. I mean, the new game engine for ATG is hardly likely to be able to "recognize and adapt" to old and outdated scenarios, true?

Well, who knows, perhaps it will prove out that the eventual mods to come will not only use the new rules and features, but that the new or updated ATG scenarios WILL have a decent AI --even if having to use AI+ or AI++ -- and/or taking on 3 or 4 opponent AI's as Webizen has demonstrated, at one and the same time.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 26
RE: Three Questions - 4/10/2011 5:26:34 PM   
Lion9

One other simple but vital question:

Can I or anyone take a scenario that is included with ATG (and not one "in the bank" so that you might well need permission, or a password due to copyright exclusivity) and RENAME and save the scenario of interest -- oh, let's say the WAW for instance -- so that I or anyone else can improve it? I am especially thinking of upgrading the AI, at least -- insofar as that is possible with the game editor.

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 27
RE: Three Questions - 4/10/2011 6:21:30 PM   
Grymme

As for the scenarios included in ATG although i am not the designer i think i can safely say that Vic has never minded anyone trying to improve on his scenarios.

As for other scenarios i think its at least polite to talk to the author of the original scenario before uploading something, but its also done all the time.

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 28
RE: Three Questions - 4/10/2011 6:34:55 PM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

As for the scenarios included in ATG although i am not the designer i think i can safely say that Vic has never minded anyone trying to improve on his scenarios.

As for other scenarios i think its at least polite to talk to the author of the original scenario before uploading something, but its also done all the time.

From what I have been able to thus far gather Grymme, it's apparent that you've been around awhile, so I casually take you at your word.

Heck no, not possible that I could very much improve -- Vic's or tweber's or grumpymel's or your scenarios, most likely. But, there IS an editor and it has been highly recommended, so, I guess I am saying it would be great fun to just play around with it some, and see what happens. Maybe something terrible this way comes, but, you take those pixel-dice in hand, sure, you take your chances.

Yep, I appreciate that talking to the original designer is ideal. Problem arises when the original desginer is no longer anywhere to be found!

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 29
RE: Three Questions - 4/11/2011 4:21:36 PM   
GrumpyMel

I've never minded anyone doing a varient of one of my scenerio's...so for the record...feel free to mess around with any of mine that you like. I think most designers are pretty welcoming of that...but as Grymme states..it's usualy nice to drop the author a note, just to be sure.

I would suggest that for your first go with the editor that you start out with something small though... and usualy it's better to start fresh with a brand new one when learning the different features of the editor. It's very powerfull but there is a bit of a learning curve to it...and wading into some of the existing scenerio's with it would be pretty daunting for someone until they got the hang of using it. There are a couple of excellent tutorials on using the editor in the mods section here.... I imagine they'll be updated for the newer version of the editor sometime soon as well.

I'm betting that most of the existing AT Classic scenerio's will play reasonably well in ATG. They just won't use some of the new rules/features. I'm sure it won't be long before we start seeing ports of them to ATG as well. I know I'm definately planning on doing my next update for ETO using ATG...have been holding off doing any work on the scenerio until ATG is available actually. I'm sure there are plenty of other designers that are licking thier chops to get thier hands on the updated editor as well.

I know what you are saying about solo play. Unfortunately a decent AI is one of the hardest things to pull off...especialy with games that are so open ended in terms of strategy. I honestly don't even attempt to make my scenerio's work with the AI...simply because I don't have enough confidence in my ability to tweak it to be a good opponent.....but there are plenty of other folks here that do have good experience at tweaking the AI to play well...so I'm sure you'll see some scenerio's well designed for solo play.

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Three Questions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI