Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Les

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Les Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Les - 9/23/2002 3:40:38 PM   
nyarlathotep

Do you have SC? Noticed your posts on the forum but I'm still lurker status there.

If you do have it, have you tried PBEM? Up for a go at it?

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.
H.P.L.
Post #: 1
- 9/23/2002 10:40:25 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Nope still just got the demo, got the latest one to assess though.

The game looks appealing, but in a computer wargame sort of way.

Christmas season is approaching though. It might make the list. The price is nice.

But I am not entiiiiiiiiirely sure yet.

Not completely convinced. A bit leary of buying what might be no better than a complicated computer Axis and Allies.

For me it all comes down to the AI.

Online games are nice, but I can't justifiy getting a game on the basis of I might play it enough against humans to count.
It has to have a credible human versus computer capacity as well.

I have been following the threads over at Battlefront though, the game sure is being picked over well. A person is definitely easily able to see if they game is their cup of tea real quickly.

If it turns out I take the plunge though, I will no doubt give it a visible appraisal and everyone will know I have it heheh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to nyarlathotep)
Post #: 2
Fair enough - 9/24/2002 9:18:52 AM   
nyarlathotep

Hopefully I can help you on your decision to buy or not, as I have axis and allies as well. To compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges. If I had to compare it with something it would be clash of steel which would make it an orange and tangerine issue.

You mentioned the AI, which I believe is legitimate. I too like to have a strong AI since you can't always count on a human to be available. I can honestly say it is challenging but needs more work. There has been some good improvements up to version 1.04 and I believe it's going to get better.

I bought the game when it was first released and I am still going full steam against the AI(too scared to play human yet!) and haven't even thought about taking it off my hard drive. I have only two complaints with the game, one already mentioned on the forums, the other I don't think has been mentioned at all to my knowledge.

1. Submarine warfare component is not depicted accurately. Basically, as the Germans you have no chance to influence the war through flexing your undersea muscle as the German navy is immediately wiped out or bottled up by the RN. This needs work IMO.

2. Partisans. When partisan activity occurs, the allies essentially get half a corp worth of partisans. That comes out to roughly 25,000 men!!! In addition to the astounding number of partisans, they also have regular zoc like other units. When you consider how small the map is this comes out to way too much territorial influence and manpower. I would have liked to see a better depiction of partisans than this.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.
H.P.L.

Post #: 3
- 9/24/2002 11:14:42 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I think the sub comments are valid, they don't seem rendered well in my opinion as well.

The partisan thing sounds like a poor notion additionally. Must be a game mechanice that needs to be entirely redone much as subs can't likely be a regular unt as well.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Les Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote