Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Luzon Iron Triangle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Luzon Iron Triangle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/13/2011 1:50:10 AM   
topeverest

Armed with fresh experiences on the defense of Luzon and referencing the prior series of conversations over these last six months, I must amend my prior opinion that Bataan was a better defensive location. Clark Field's terrain is a significant factor in favor of choosing at least a meaningful defense there. It also has the benefit of having a place to retreat / reserve in Bataan if and when combat goes against you. While it does not share the same protection from naval bombardment as Bataan, the terrain is very suitable to a long defense against the Empire and the naval guns will deter most forms of bombardment. I find that supply probably will be the limiting factor in the defense from these two locations.

I do still think that Bataan and Clark Field both are far superior to Manila, but perhaps I just havent had the inspiration to do better there.

Andy M
Post #: 1
RE: Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/13/2011 3:02:22 AM   
Canoerebel

No question that Clark Field is the base to defend for the Allies.  For many IJ players, the optimum strategy will be to isolate Clark with a "holding force" of perhaps 600 to 800 AV, pound the base by air for months until it's out of supply, and then finish it off with the force at hand.  No need to waste good troops there when they can be put to more effective use in Phase I and Phase II attacks.

Q-Ball, among others, showed the way to do it for Japan.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 2
RE: Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/13/2011 3:22:13 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

No question that Clark Field is the base to defend for the Allies.  For many IJ players, the optimum strategy will be to isolate Clark with a "holding force" of perhaps 600 to 800 AV, pound the base by air for months until it's out of supply, and then finish it off with the force at hand.  No need to waste good troops there when they can be put to more effective use in Phase I and Phase II attacks.

Yup. Sounds about right.

A retreat by the Allies to Bataan is a bonus. From Clark, the Allies are capable of moving out to a number of other hexes and really throwing a spanner into the siege. From Bataan, there's no way out but through a Jap blocking force and / or Clark. 'Cept this time around, the IJ gets the defensive bonus at Clark-probably impossible to break through for the Phillipine army.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/13/2011 4:53:01 AM   
erstad

quote:

While it does not share the same protection from naval bombardment as Bataan

Don't you have to go past Bataan to bombard Clark field?

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 4
RE: Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/13/2011 8:46:05 PM   
Tijanski

quote:

I am playing the babes with the new map and Clark field is totally inland and Subic bay is a new port now. Has anybody played the clark defense with the babes new map? What happens when ships can not bompard Clark air base? And what happens when japan amphibious assault on Subic bay? A sqeeze play?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/15/2011 11:33:28 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tijanski

quote:

I am playing the babes with the new map and Clark field is totally inland and Subic bay is a new port now. Has anybody played the clark defense with the babes new map? What happens when ships can not bompard Clark air base? And what happens when japan amphibious assault on Subic bay? A sqeeze play?

They can't bombard it now either, they need to sail through Bataan.

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Tijanski)
Post #: 6
RE: Luzon Iron Triangle - 4/16/2011 12:43:31 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tijanski

quote:

It's really no different from AE. The Japanese cannot march to Bataan from Subic, they can only march to Clark Field -- same as they could from Lingayen. Once displaced, the US/Filipino forces will fall back on Bataan.

The sole meaningful difference from AE is that Subic Bay and Clark Field are no longer in the same hex, so the Japanese cannot bombard the airfield with ships.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Tijanski)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Luzon Iron Triangle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI