Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 12/28/2000 2:28:00 AM   
Charles22

Tombstone: So do you find it as I described, that units don't reveal themselves, till the "next" player turn and not the current one? I ask this question strictly from the point of view that we're talking about a unit which has not fired, and does not fire that turn. I know you can draw fire, but learning about dormant units would be so much more helpful.

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 31
- 12/28/2000 4:29:00 AM   
Bing

Thanks one and all for the comments, I have learned a good deal about SPW@W game play. Per above, it does take an enormous amount of Z-fire to have a real effect on unspotted units (assuming you knew where they were to begin with. The better the recon, the less need for Z-fire. Thanks again.

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 32
- 12/28/2000 5:17:00 AM   
Tombstone

I don't end up seeing them until next turn and even then only if they rout and run off( still, usually I only see smoke pop, no actual unit spotting ), unless I run right up to them. That happens sometimes, and they don't assault if I put enough hate into the hex (which often is NOT the case). It's not a good way to do recon, and an especially bad way to stay hidden. It's best use is when you get ambushed and have no other course of action because you're getting wailed on from invisible units. It's cool to have self-propelled howitzers at that point (M7's are wonderful in many ways), that way if you didn't see EXACTLY which hex it came from you can suppress 7 hexes that you think safely contains the offending hex. Under medium to small sized circumstances I usually pop smoke and rethink my advance a bit... or just take a beating. Tomo

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 33
- 12/28/2000 9:14:00 PM   
JTGEN

I have had in a couple of occasions engineers clearing 5 mines per turn with experience of 75-85 with Soviets and Germans. Usually if not under fire they clear 3-4 per turn. Also mine clearing tanks can get 3-4 per turn but usually les than the engineers. Using artillery of 150mm is good as it clears some of the mines but also on exposing them and killing the infartry close to the mines. When clearing the mines with smoke cover one must have protection for the engineers as the AI will bring tanks close to get you and also infartry. Unspotted units will get suppression and casulties. Many times I have seen one unit and fired it with Brummbär or my favorite sturmtiger and the most effects come to units in adjacent hexes that I do not see. Often they retreat and use smoke witch indicates where they were. Often the holes in minefields are places where the defenders were but then it shows that it is fortified hex when you enter it. Also AI has used an minefield against me with 1 line with mines is having a clear line and then again two lines of mines behind it.

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 34
- 12/29/2000 3:33:00 AM   
Daniel Oskar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JTGEN: ...Using artillery of 150mm is good as it clears some of the mines but also on exposing them and killing the infartry close to the mines... I've definitely seen the arty expose the mines, but it sure doesn't seem to reduce the density of the minefield.

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 35
- 12/29/2000 4:18:00 AM   
Charles22

Daniel Oskar: Back in the old days, when the number of mines were numbered, you could see the gradual reduction of the number of mines after bombardment, but I never studied it extensively enough to determine whether it was worth all the ammunition that might've been used otherwise.

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 36
- 12/29/2000 5:44:00 AM   
Captn_Jack

quote:

Originally posted by john g: Another gotcha is that defending troops right next to the field will help remove it, you want at least 1 hex seperation. This even applies to engineers set to lay mines, they will remove wire and DT replacing it with mines. thanks, John.
John, you can place engineers next to a mine, just click on "Will not remove mines" in the units status screen. Then casually wait on your prey... CJ

M(1)&M(9)'s...they melt in your tank...not in your hand!

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 37
- 12/31/2000 3:45:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Captn_Jack: John, you can place engineers next to a mine, just click on "Will not remove mines" in the units status screen. Then casually wait on your prey... CJ
I think that the time I tried "do not remove mines" the engineers removed DT from the facing hex. Now I just make sure I keep the 1 hex seperation and don't worry about it. Of course I never could see the reason for wire, mines stop moving infantry and cause casualties, wire just slows infantry down. Even when using wire similar to WWI with 50 pts of wire per hex with machine guns sited to sweep across the hexes. thanks, John.

(in reply to TunnelRat)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI