Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Got a few newbie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Got a few newbie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Got a few newbie questions - 4/22/2011 3:55:18 PM   
daemon1129

Is there a way to easily add newly made ships to 1 fleet without having to find that ship,right click then join fleet? I know I can drag to select them all in the main screen, but they all runs off when made if I don't check right when finish. Also when I play a 4X games, I like to cheat a little bit just to role play a bit. When I change how fast I research (to 150 in race.txt, the potential value is way high but the actual output is no where near it. How do I be as effective as possible? The game tells me I need more research station, but I I kept building a lot but the max value keep going higher than I gain in actual value. I always start as starting tech, so is it my labs are too low level to be useful? Also can I trust the AI with the ship designs as of now? I am still learning the game and the ship designs (components, parts, etc) is a bit overwhelming for me atm. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Got a few newbie questions - 4/22/2011 4:36:21 PM   
Data

welcome to the forums daemon1129; let's see

1) Yes, you can add them via the ships and bases screen: locate the ship and you have a fleet button that you can use for this

2) AI ship design is still quite poor, you're ships will be underpowered and therefore not very effective; better rely on your knowledge (which will come in time) and superior design abilities

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to daemon1129)
Post #: 2
RE: Got a few newbie questions - 4/22/2011 4:43:45 PM   
daemon1129

I don't have access to the game right now, but are there something that tells me whether this ship is in a fleet or not in the ship and base screen? Also what about research? But thanks anyways.

< Message edited by daemon1129 -- 4/22/2011 4:44:58 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Got a few newbie questions - 4/22/2011 4:45:39 PM   
Fishers of Men

The actual research output is generated by a formula that includes the player's colonies' population and development levels. So you can increase your potential with adding new research facilities, but it will take awhile for the other factors to increase so you can use that potential. The atributes of your race and government type will also effect research growth by increase or decrease bonuses.

Welsome to Distant Worlds and the forums.

FoM

Old............but very fast

(in reply to daemon1129)
Post #: 4
RE: Got a few newbie questions - 4/22/2011 5:56:43 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: daemon1129

I don't have access to the game right now, but are there something that tells me whether this ship is in a fleet or not in the ship and base screen? Also what about research? But thanks anyways.

Yes, it's displayed.

(in reply to daemon1129)
Post #: 5
RE: Got a few newbie questions - 4/22/2011 11:20:26 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: daemon1129

Is there a way to easily add newly made ships to 1 fleet without having to find that ship,right click then join fleet? I know I can drag to select them all in the main screen, but they all runs off when made if I don't check right when finish.

Uncheck newly built ships are automated in the empire policy section screen of the hotkey 'O' options screen.

Build them from the Build Order Screen for maximum speed.

Go to Ships and Bases screen. Select military ships. Sort by role. Highlight building ships by shift click/control click then click add to fleet x.

Also when I play a 4X games, I like to cheat a little bit just to role play a bit. When I change how fast I research (to 150 in race.txt, the potential value is way high but the actual output is no where near it. How do I be as effective as possible? The game tells me I need more research station, but I I kept building a lot but the max value keep going higher than I gain in actual value. I always start as starting tech, so is it my labs are too low level to be useful?

What you need is three Research Stations of each type at 50% research bonus locations. Or as close to 50% as you can get. Build more than 3 for redundancy purposes if pirates get some or you have a war.

Empire Research potential requires a high strategic value. This is tied in to holding large high quality planets.

To make actual research output close to empire research potential retrofit your home space port to have more labs.

My current home space port has 60 labs of the three types. I remove the labs on new space port builds as the resources may not be in a ''new'' area.

This way you can control research output very easily by modifying your home space port.

Also can I trust the AI with the ship designs as of now? I am still learning the game and the ship designs (components, parts, etc) is a bit overwhelming for me atm. Thanks in advance.

You can get by with the AI designs at the start but you can get better performance by making your own designs.

(in reply to daemon1129)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Got a few newbie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI