Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/21/2002 6:27:50 AM   
darroch

2:1 is good for these battles - feel free to ignore the computer's assessment - we have not had the time to playbalance the points - judge your own victory based on your interpretation of the intro text...

I have found there are several battles where you simply cannot get a DV if you play straight...

Battle 2 will give you a breather - you are attacking....

Battle 3 you are on the run again....

I don't think you'll see the Luftwaffe in anything like those numbers for many battles - I think - keep about 4 x AA weapons handy - once those AA weapons turn veteran they will start knocking planes down before they bomb....until then you can at least damage them and keep them from coming back for second (and third) runs...

Cheers,

B

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 31
Victory and loss levels - 10/21/2002 6:55:47 PM   
SittingDuck

Was just thinking about this victory level thing the other day. It's a big crapout in this game, even with the parameters that SPWAW extends to you. Simply because of their ridiculous ratios. But....

In reality it's more a matter of victory, draw, or loss. And I think that scenarios can be properly balanced for that. Forget the decisive levels and just assume both marginal and decisive render same result.

This is important in the campaign branching. Since decisives are quite often not mathematically possible, the designers should arrange their battle flowchart upon the marginal loss, marginal victory, and draw results, making the decisive victory/loss results be the same as marginal victory/loss results (for the next branching battle).

The other thing is this - how often do you get 100+ points for smoking a tank and just 50 points for holding a spot of terrain? That's ridiculous (this is in all SPWAW games so don't feel I am even highlighting the campaign). The only way to deal with this, IMO, is by reducing the values of both sides forces so that VP objectives actually ARE valuable.

Easier said than done, because you have to factor the value of each entire force, what a player may (or probably) would lose in the process, and so on. Not an easy issue to deal with. And probably the most underworked area of scenario development, according to what I've seen in the history of the game.

Nonetheless, we carry on!

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 32
Altering Scenario #1 - 10/23/2002 5:23:41 AM   
SittingDuck

Brad,

I am going into the editor and altering A_B's Dubno Defend scenario. I found out there are actually 16 planes for the Germans (not 14 as I had originally thought). I am cutting it down to 8 planes. That, and I am also changing one of the Soviet AUX units into the proper formation (it is a AT gun attached improperly to a wagon detail, not the rifle platoon I assume it should have been in).

I need to know how to forward these files to you.

-SittingDuck

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 33
- 10/23/2002 3:47:50 PM   
varjager

I would like to know where i can get a hold of the complete version of this campaign?
It sound intresting with a long Campaign from the russian side.

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 34
- 10/23/2002 6:51:43 PM   
SittingDuck

http://www.tankhead.ca/SPWaW/spwaw.html

Go to that link and search around, perhaps under Campaigns or something.

There are three files currently that you need to get: (RS2, RS3, and RS4). These have all the files that exist at this point.

It's an ambitious project.

(in reply to darroch)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI