Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How To Get Back to "Simple?"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> How To Get Back to "Simple?" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 4/24/2011 6:42:39 PM   
edsan

At the risk of sounding like a heretic here, I would appreciate some help on making ATG simpler. I'm looking for a simple (still including basic production) game that's challenging and fun. I do not want continually increasing complexity or to build my own scenarios (editor). I gave up on Grigsby type games many many years ago since, to me, they became complex to the point of taking the fun out of it.

AT was VERY enjoyable for the 4 months I played it before purchasing ATG. AT had it's issues with concentric bonuses etc, but it sure was fun. I would have loved to just see AT patched up for those issues.

ATG has only been played for 2 days, but it's not the same any more. I would like to "simplify" it by turning off the things that I (personally) am not interested in such as OIL and RESOURCES ("supply" like in AT is fine). ATG, as mentioned in other posts, has an AI that is very unbalanced imho. It isn't held to the same rules/restrictions. The pendulum is certainly in its favor by a long shot. I look forward to upcoming patches that will bring the game back into balance (I have 2.01c already).

Specifically, I would appreciate advice on how to:

a) disable the new Oil and Resources aspect of ATG so I don't have to deal with it and it doesn't limit my game in any way (same as AT). Might sound crazy to others, but I'm not seeking the ultimate reality, just plain old simple fun shoot em up play. AT was closer than ATG.

b) disable any restriction due to battlestacking (still don't understand what it actually does to playing).

c) disable the AI advantages apparent in areas such as production ability, movement (?), and combat (?). In the evensteven games I've played so far it has (I think) huge advantages. Also, finding AI units such as one with only 40 bazookas isn't realistic either (doubt you'd find that in any army). I'm wondering if some of this can be done through the editor.

The more the game can have master "off" switches for its various sections would be nice.

This is NOT a criticism of the game! It's a great game!! I would just like to know how to a) get control/stop/eliminate some areas and b) have a more balanced AI.
Post #: 1
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 4/24/2011 10:37:02 PM   
papajack

Yes..I wish for the same , make oil/raw an option

Maybe even a AI- or AI -- for some " sweet revenge " ...I have not won a single game in ATG random games grrr grr

(in reply to edsan)
Post #: 2
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 4/24/2011 11:13:20 PM   
SSFSX17

Try classic random games using "classic.at2" or any of the ptmaster files, or play any scenario labelled Classic.

(in reply to papajack)
Post #: 3
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 4/24/2011 11:18:25 PM   
Tac2i

I simply wish to comment one thing: "ATG, as mentioned in other posts, has an AI that is very unbalanced imho. It isn't held to the same rules/restrictions. The pendulum is certainly in its favor by a long shot."

I disagree that the AI is very unbalanced in ATG. I don't think it unbalanced at all. I think some that perception comes from players trying games on large maps with lots of AI. I want a challenge when I play against the AI. I get that in ATG. The only AI game I've lost in ATG is when three AI declared war on me in consecutive turns. I played a lot of AT:WWII and games against the AI just weren't much of a challenge. That said the option for an A- AI would be a good idea as would the ability to turn off OIL and RAW. I imagine that Vic would entertain those ideas, especially the A- one.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to papajack)
Post #: 4
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/4/2011 8:51:18 AM   
lion_of_judah

I rather enjoy this game and find the oil/raw making it even more realistic. I like games which make you use your head not just go with the motions.

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 5/4/2011 8:53:20 AM >

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 5
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/4/2011 12:12:08 PM   
altipueri

I'm with OP Edsan. The AT supply was a great way to remember you had to pay attention to where the beans came from, but not so much as to make it a micromanagement bore. Nor any need to get too fussy about units and hierarchy - just have a bit of attention to your officer ratio.

I've plenty (too many) other games where I can drown in micro messing. I'm almost back to playing chess - no fog of war; no supply problems.

OT - What other games do you AT players go to for random games - the thing I like - anybody play Imperialism II ?

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 6
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/5/2011 3:01:46 AM   
Stardog

Wz up guys?!

I glad I'm not the only one haven my arse handed to me....I'm going to second Edsan .I even made a post about a AI- setting.

I too have yet to win a random game in ATG & I still have not beat the Arabs in the Even-Steven "French Vrs Arabs" game... I thought ATG was to favor the defender more..? AI has no prob's roll-in up my flanks like a sardine can when it attacks...

So I just went back to playing AT and will wait for patches or what ever..
This is not criticism ,there are a lot of posts on here and its clear these games are popular with a lot of folks.
I love AT & thats why to bought ATG..

Edsan has some cool ideas..

SD

< Message edited by Stardog -- 5/5/2011 3:09:12 AM >

Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great

(in reply to edsan)
Post #: 7
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/5/2011 9:39:41 AM   
Vic

Due to considerable number of requests i have added making an AI- option to the to do list for the next patch (v2.03)

best,
vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Stardog)
Post #: 8
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/5/2011 2:53:44 PM   
edsan

Thank you Vic for adding the AI- in the next patch (and thanks for many (many) hours of great fun!).

Please also consider having the "off" switches mentioned above to turn off some aspects of the game such as a) Oil, b) Resources, c) partisans, and, d) AI advantages. That might be of interest to many "simple" players who don't want continually increasing complexities.

Until then, I've done the same as Stardog, "So I just went back to playing AT and will wait for patches or what ever.. "

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/5/2011 6:11:43 PM   
mgaffn1

Gotta confess I love the oil & raw materials aspect - it's really busted my chops & made me rethink my game. Nothing like having a magnificent air fleet ready to strike, and finding your oil gauge at zero! I haven't won yet, but I'm getting closer (granted, I've got into the editor and made a few "cheats" for myself).
That said, maybe I can try version 2.03 on AI- and not try any cheats.....
cheers,

(in reply to edsan)
Post #: 10
RE: How To Get Back to "Simple?" - 5/6/2011 6:11:29 PM   
Appren

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Due to considerable number of requests i have added making an AI- option to the to do list for the next patch (v2.03)

best,
vic

This is certainly good for the newcomers, but I'd like an adjustment of the AI+ /AI++ levels as well. In original AT I could (barely, in decent terrain) beat a single AI++, or multiple AI+, while in AT Gold a single AI+ is beatable, while multiple AI+ (or even AI+ and normal AIs) feels too much to handle for me in most cases. Multiple regular AIs on the other hand is far too easy. Could it be possible to either lower AI+ and AI++, or add a level between AI and AI+ somewhere? (Although, if these values are easily editable instructions for that will certainly help as well!) :)

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> How To Get Back to "Simple?" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI