Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Osama bin Laden is DEAD!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Osama bin Laden is DEAD! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Osama bin Laden is DEAD! - 5/14/2011 5:06:57 AM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

When someone tries to paint Yugoslavia as 'wag the dog', the argument is already poisoned. That conflict was the most successful the US has fought since WW2. Any trouble from that conflict occurred by trying to send ground troops to police the area afterward.

By the 'Libyan' standard you set, we've been in Iraq since the first Gulf War. It wasn't costing us trillions of dollars and I'd argue it was highly successful. A hundred thousand less people would be dead there, and Saddam's lack of popularity would be approaching the level of a Ghadaffy-like insurgency, not to mention a US economy benefiting from an extra trillion dollars, 5000 servicemen with triple that not disabled for life, along with cheaper oil.

I'm willing to forgive military mistakes. What I won't forgive is the adamant refusal to learn from those mistakes. And some lessons could have been learned in Vietnam.

We have 2 conflicts going on at once in southern Asia. One, a highly successful campaign using drones and commandos when targets are available, and one that is such a failure that it all but negates our success by maintaining an occupation force in Afghanistan. We should have been out of there yesterday. But to not see the success of our air/drone/commando campaigns is military ignorance of the highest order, and politically based.

You're having difficulty with the concept "national interest." We were in Yugoslavia for the same reason an aspirin factory was bombed. We had zero national interest in Yugoslavia and we have zero national interest in Libya. So why are we there??? To try out our drones and see how they work? If that's the case then let's go someplace where they can make a difference, like Iran. Libya is a tinpot country. Iran is a genuine threat to our national interest. To not see the difference is the height of ignorance. We should pick our wars against countries that are threats, not just because we can show off our military might.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 31
RE: Osama bin Laden is DEAD! - 5/15/2011 4:58:20 PM   
macgregor

The only thing Yugoslavia and an aspirin factory have in common is that they were both attacked by Bill Clinton, but that's where the similarity ends. The aspirin factory may have been a CIA goof(nothing like the ones under the Bush administration however) but Yugoslavia was a NATO attack to stop genocide in Kosovo(learn it). It resulted in 0 US casualties and the expense was largely paid by our allies. We forced the withdrawal of the 4th strongest army in Europe. Is calling you an partisan considered name-calling or just stating a fact? I agree that Iran is a genuine threat. Did you read my post?

< Message edited by macgregor -- 5/15/2011 4:59:26 PM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 32
RE: Osama bin Laden is DEAD! - 5/15/2011 10:51:09 PM   
JAMiAM

Hi all,

This thread never really was about TOAW, was it? Being political, as well as wildly off-topic, I think it's had more than its fair share of running on. Please discuss this at some venue other than Matrix Games' forum. Thanks, and closed.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Osama bin Laden is DEAD! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI