Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Interesting new game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Interesting new game! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 2:49:10 AM   
Hetulik

Question for those who mentioned Space Rangers. This is a game i've actually never heard of before. I did a few google searches and it looks very interesting.

If i was to purchase i'd likely target Space Rangers 2 versus Space Rangers 1.

Question, whats the difference between Space Rangers 2 Rise of the dominators and Space Rangers 2 Reboot.

It almost looks like all i'd need to buy is Space Rangers 2 Reboot and wouldn't need to worry about buying Rise of the Dominators since Reboot is standalone and has all the content of the original Space Rangers 2? Is there any reason I should buy Rise of the Dominators? Is reboot better than the original Rise of the Dominators?

What is everyones recommendation?

Thanks

< Message edited by Hetulik -- 5/31/2011 2:51:28 AM >

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 31
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 6:19:51 AM   
Data

Reboot definitly, it's the expansion to Rise of the Dominators and has a lot of improvments especially to the ingame search system. It indeed includes the Rise of the Dominators as well.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Hetulik)
Post #: 32
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 6:20:56 AM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Level cap is 100. It may sound high, but you still can't max everything in the research and have to make choices in what techs you specialize. Also, the bonuses you get while leveling up techs are randomly chosen at the start of each game (so I have understood). So, you could end up extremely powerful beams (which I luckily got in my current game) in one game and rubbish ones in another.   

WHAT? Really? Are those bonuses the ones viewable in the research screen? So you could start up a game and check the lvl 1-10 beams, start another game and compare? *tries now*

This game is awesome indeed. Though there MUST be more open explanation of game features and mechanics, things like randomized research bonuses should not be something one finds out about on a Distant Worlds forum :D

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 33
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 6:29:09 AM   
Data

Well, the game is pretty new and they also have a small three man team that worked about 50000 scripts for it, you can read about it in lordxorn's review on this. Since they also listen to the fan base I'm sure all these features will come in time.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 34
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 6:50:55 AM   
Hetulik

Thanks Data for your quick response!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 35
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 7:12:03 AM   
J HG T

@Hetulik
Reboot is the way to go. It fixes great many things and adds all kind of neat features and stuff.
Also, be friggin' careful! Space Rangers 2 is one of those games that should have warning stamp "CAUTION! CAUSES SERIOUS ADDICTION! CAUTION!" on it.

@Baleur
Yes, that's how I've understood it what I read from the forums. Unlocking components is always tied to certain levels of research though.

As a side note: The StarFarer sure is fun and challenging to play, even in its alpha state. The combat is fast and furious and needs you to pay attention at all times or you'll get absolutely mauled. Just try to beat the "predator or prey". And that's rated "medium" BTW.
Beat the "sinking the whatwasitsnamebattleship" mission las evening, and that was some crazy strafe bombing on that huge juggernaut right there!
With extensive balancing and full, freeform campaign with factions, characters, crew, salvaging, building, conquering and all that great stuff this game will be winner in my books.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 5/31/2011 7:31:22 AM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Hetulik)
Post #: 36
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 7:58:43 AM   
princej

@Hetulik
Heres a little bit more expanded info for you on the game.
What you have in this game is a mixture of several genres all compiled into one game.
For land based missions , its pretty much a land based mech game (and can even see through the
eyes of your robots ), but for space you have turn based movements., but... it doesn't end there...
when you enter into wormholes, you have an arcade style shooter where you have to be fast (so
make sure that you save before going in one) There is also the part I dislike the most whitch is
when you get thrown into jail and hope your cockroach wins you some
money but not to fear, if you have the money you can pay them off without spending a day there ;)
(this part of the game is text based)
As far as whitch one to buy , I would go with reboot. There are several places you can purchase the
game online but if you cant find it let me know and I'll post the links.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 37
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 8:54:53 AM   
Shuul

Text based quests in SR are the best thing in there, jail is one from hundreds. In some of them you should really THINK A LOT (my favorite is when you should investigate crime), so its a good brain trainer ))

(in reply to princej)
Post #: 38
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 9:29:48 AM   
Data

I also used to enjoy the quests more, the the rts, then the trading system, them missions....but in the end the hole package is designed in such a way that you can't just say no. I'm feeling like Malcolm Reynolds when I play it

(in reply to Shuul)
Post #: 39
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 12:01:22 PM   
princej

I played this game for hours (and hours and days...) and still didn't want to put it down so ya , as J HG T said its definately addicting and since each game is different (even if you take the same race) its not one your going to get easily bored with.
I am a little curious if any of you guys who own it used any of the cheat codes

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 40
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 12:04:34 PM   
Shuul

The only bad thing about SR is its translation to english (quite poor). It was made by Russians and contain lot of humor that cannot be really translated, especially in text quests. If you speak russian your enjoyment will double.

@princej

There is no need in cheats, dont ruin a game.

< Message edited by Shuul -- 5/31/2011 12:07:19 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 41
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 12:15:38 PM   
Data

I used them to make the game harder later when I have the best tech and artefacts. Now I use them even in the begining of the game to make it last longer.
Indeed, the translation is not great but when you enjoy the game even that can become a plus; not that you need to read anything once you've played the crap out of it

(in reply to Shuul)
Post #: 42
RE: Interesting new game! - 5/31/2011 12:56:39 PM   
princej

@Shuul
Aww, I only used them after I had successfully taken care of all the evil dominators !

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 43
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 3:32:56 AM   
Chromius

Aaaarrggghh,

I am really waiting on the Distant Worlds Expansion and came by to check while checking on patches for WiTE and now suddenly I own copies of SPAZ and Starfarer, curses to the OP! Lol
There is also Starpoint Gemini which is a little different also but good fun. Civ 5 was a massive letdown (Civ 4 w exp is better) wish they would do another improved upon Alpha Centauri.

Worn out on Gal Civ and Sins.  Seems all I am waiting for is an Improved Distant Worlds for current space strategy (I love fuel). I would love another new freelancer type sim also.

Cheers

The origin of the word "Apocalypse" = The revealing of hidden knowledge.

(in reply to princej)
Post #: 44
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 4:43:53 AM   
Hetulik

Thanks J HG T and Princej for your responses. I went ahead and bought the game as i too await the expansion of Distant Worlds.

Thanks again.

(in reply to Chromius)
Post #: 45
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 5:52:38 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

I'm feeling like Malcolm Reynolds when I play it

Don't you just wish they would rekindle 'Firefly'. A FANTASTIC Space Opera!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 46
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 6:27:31 AM   
Data

rekindle? that one should have the olympic flame under it, I'll never understand why they cancelled it

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 47
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 6:43:17 AM   
cookie monster

I downloaded the demo of S.P.A.Z

It only works on the VISTA Laptop and not my new Win7 desktop.

Although I have noticed in the forums the game has certain display issues on some rigs. They are aware of the problem.

Now for my question.

Is the game mostly about speeding around and zapping the enemy? I presume it is!

Cos the game makes me feel sea-sick. With the rapid ship speeds involved.

Of course you have to keep your speed up, so you don't get hit, perhaps my control is off as I'm a beginner.

It seems a good game, but I'm not really in the market for an arcady space shoot em up.

Is that what S.P.A.Z is? A shootem'up???

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 48
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 7:50:42 AM   
J HG T

The space combat is the main point of the S.P.A.Z. No doupt about it, as Star Control 2 is one of the developers all-time favourites.
The combat gets more complex, challenging and interesting later when you (and your enemies) start using different ships and more varied equipment loadouts. Also, later when you get bigger, slower hulls, the nature of the combat changes from zapping around to fine-tuning loadouts and positioning right in combat.
My absolute worst enemy has been StarCruiser with overload beam emitters, gravity missiles and thrust engines. My carrier got absolutely r***d by that beast. *shivers*
Now I'm trying to find couple of Sunspot blackboxes. That thing should teach StarCruiser the meaning of pain with the help of its agility and drone squadrons.

In short: You need to have great interest in pure space combat to really enjoy S.P.A.Z.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 6/1/2011 7:55:10 AM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 49
RE: Interesting new game! - 6/1/2011 8:11:29 AM   
cookie monster

Thanks.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 50
RE: Interesting new game! - 11/15/2011 7:23:54 PM   
cookie monster

A bit of thread necromancy here.

Just bought SPAZ for £11.

It's a great game and is good to chill out to for a couple of hours.

It's to me like a FPS but in Space.

I'm Level 41 teching up by blowing up Level 30 Warp Gate Blockades.

I would recommend the game.

Plus you can always download the demo and see if you like it.

Something to keep you busy till DW Legends arrives.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 51
RE: Interesting new game! - 11/16/2011 6:51:40 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1sean

Master of Orion Series
Space Rangers Series
Sword of the Stars Series
Armada 2526
Sins of a Solar Empire Series
Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ)
Galactic Civilizations Series

All of these games are available on IMPULSE and they have sales on games every weekend and on holidays. I have picked up most of these games at around 50% to 75% off. Hopefully we will see Distant Worlds for sale on there some day...

That's pretty much the pantheon. Throw in DW and Star Ruler, and you've pretty much covered every decent 4x(ish) space game out there.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 52
RE: Interesting new game! - 11/16/2011 7:03:52 AM   
HectorOfTroy

Starfarer looks interesting, but I will get it once they introduce other features (economy, strategic map, etc).

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 53
RE: Interesting new game! - 11/16/2011 4:59:17 PM   
nammafia

This free game is also a good one: Battleship Forever

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Interesting new game! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI