Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Books about the War in the Pacific?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/3/2011 1:17:15 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiornu

I'm waiting for some sort of open platform to come in and beat the pants of off Kindle and other proprietary systems. I mean, we do have pdf's now, don't we?
Thunder... is text-based, a set of essays on BC-related topics. There are only a few drawings and some photos.

I thought most platforms could do PDF? Kindle can .

(in reply to Tiornu)
Post #: 91
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/3/2011 2:11:10 PM   
redcoat

A few (English language) books about Jap warships:

Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945. Jentschura, Hansgeorg; Dieter Jung & Peter Mickel. Naval Institute Press.

Japanese Warships of World War II. A.J. Watts.

Japanese Naval Vessels at the End of World War II. Compiled by
by Shizuo Fukui. Photo editor - Christian W. Beilstein

Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War. Eric Lacroix and Linton Wells II

Submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Dorr Carpenter and Norman Polmar.

A good book about Kamikazes is Kamikaze Attacks of World War II: A Complete History of Japanese Suicide Strikes on American Ships, by Aircraft and Other Means - by Robin L. Reilly.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 92
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/3/2011 4:02:33 PM   
Tiornu

quote:

I thought most platforms could do PDF? Kindle can .

And so can my laptop. I don't think I'll need Kindle or Nook anytime soon.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 93
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/20/2011 6:37:32 PM   
Tiornu

In the US, at least, Thunder in Its Courses is now out in print version. The UK should follow soon.

(in reply to Tiornu)
Post #: 94
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/21/2011 1:33:21 AM   
jb123

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

a

Awesome... I memorized this series from my local library before I was twelve. Libraries here now are starting to go down the tubes for lack of money, I may have to buy this series so my (as yet to be conceived) son can read them as well.

< Message edited by jb123 -- 6/21/2011 1:44:37 AM >

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 95
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/21/2011 1:44:03 AM   
jb123

Tons of good suggestions on this forum and most of them are must reads for anyone interested in the theater.

To add my two cents, I would try to get a grittier anecdotal perspective to give some psychological insight into the severity (and barbarism) of the fighting and the notions about race and Empire that motivated the fighting men. While nowhere near the scale of (in terms of numbers or casualties), the levels of hatred between Japan and the United States made for a war more closer to the brutality and no-quarter of the Eastern Front than the rest of the European theaters. Sometimes understanding commanders' decisions and results of battles hinge of this type of analysis. (like some early timidity on the part of allied commanders because they thought the Japanese were somehow "supermen" capable of supernatural jungle fighting skills and the like)

Of course I'm also biased being a former Marine grunt.

For overview

War without Mercy, by John Dower

For that anecdotal experience that actualizes the scholarly narrative, the best is, I think Sledge, With the Old Breed

Leckie is also good, Helmet for my pillow and others

Their story was (badly, in my opinion) done in the Pacific series. Nothing replaces the book

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 96
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/21/2011 6:30:52 AM   
YankeeAirRat

For those of you all looking for some good fodder about the Operation Olympic and Coronet plans. I am about half way through "Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the invasion of Japan 1945-1947". There is some pretty interesting stuff here like how much the US was depending more on the Canadians and the Aussies then they were the UK forces to help round out the needed men for the invasion. The fights between the Atlee government and the Truman Government over the role and size of the UK forces. The fact that the IJN and the IJA was able to muster home almost two full combat armies from the mainland China and Korea, along with a sizeable amount of fuel oil from the Indonesian fields that would have been enough to fuel both plane and seaborne strikes, let alone tank attacks for a while.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 97
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/21/2011 6:33:17 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: jb123

Awesome... I memorized this series from my local library before I was twelve. Libraries here now are starting to go down the tubes for lack of money, I may have to buy this series so my (as yet to be conceived) son can read them as well.

Well do it now!!!! I was around 11 or 12 when I went through these books and thought they were the most fascinating collection/history of WW2 E V E R!!!!! The father of a friend of mine had them and I asked to borrow them one at a time. His father told me I couldn't read the next one until I returned the previous one. Can't blame him. If I were him, I would do the same thing now!!!!

Thirty years later, I finally found a complete set on Ebay in very good condition. I would say, don't wait and try to get a complete set now as I have never seen a reprint (except for the one volume compilation) and I don't expect another reprint anytime soon.

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 98
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/23/2011 9:02:58 PM   
Macca

I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the number of replies. Big thanks to all of you. Now saving bucks for some of them so that I could order them from the US as one shipment;)

Nice helmets BTW;)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 99
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 6/24/2011 12:47:42 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

The Home Library:

The Home Library: Sadly, I even recognize the C++ book. Where is your Kernigan & Ritchie?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI