Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the movie)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the movie) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the movie) - 5/15/2011 8:59:29 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Has anyone else read William Craig's Enemy at the Gates? Not to be confused with the fictional movie with the same title. Great book that I read years ago when it was out of print. It is readily available now under a reprint I think and I highly recommend it. Craig retells the Stalingrad story in all of its horrid detail after 5 years of research and hundreds of interviews from the highest commands on both sides on down the chain to unfortunate civilian trapped in the city. I may need to read it again. As I said it is chilling.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 5/15/2011 9:01:06 PM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/15/2011 9:14:51 PM   
benpark

That was maybe the first book that I read (at around age 11 or 12) that sparked my interest in Soviet-Axis conflict. It was so visceral that I could hardly believe that anyone lived through such horror. I'm 41 now, and still haven't had my interest in the conflict ebb one bit. I may have to reread it as well.

I'm reading "Battleground Prussia" now. That's particularly good as well. I'd also suggest "Bloody Streets", the best analysis of the battle for Berlin that I have yet read (I think I have read every book published on the topic at this point). It focuses on the military situation, rather than the political/civilian one as "The Last Battle" did.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/15/2011 9:19:19 PM   
Mad Russian

Have you read "Berlin Dance of Death" by Helmut Altner? That one is a particularly good account of the fighting in Berlin as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 3
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/15/2011 9:46:18 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

The only thing I've read of the battle for Berlin was Anthony Bevors book Berlin - The Downfall 1945 which I really didn't care for yet I forget why not.
I too am 41 and that was the first book I read about the East Front also, although I was much older when I did. Probably around 25.

I'll have to check out the e-book selection on these non-fiction titles. Love the Kindle. Lately I have been reading the literary classics and wouldn't mind a change in pace. Right now it's Charles Dickinson A Tale Of Two Cities. 

mo reb

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/16/2011 1:27:32 AM   
Richie61

Stalingrad by Heinz Schroter in 1958.

He was a 6th Army office and tells the story have right before to his POW days.

This is translated from German, and thus from the German perspective.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Post #: 5
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/16/2011 1:30:09 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

The only thing I've read of the battle for Berlin was Anthony Bevors book Berlin - The Downfall 1945 which I really didn't care for yet I forget why not.
I too am 41 and that was the first book I read about the East Front also, although I was much older when I did. Probably around 25.

I'll have to check out the e-book selection on these non-fiction titles. Love the Kindle. Lately I have been reading the literary classics and wouldn't mind a change in pace. Right now it's Charles Dickinson A Tale Of Two Cities. 

mo reb

They sell Kindle in Misery?

Oh yeah, I was there in that state of mind, errr state, before! Does Ft. Leonard Wood mean anything to anybody here besides me?!!

Thought so.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/16/2011 4:10:49 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/16/2011 1:31:15 AM   
Mad Russian

I actually have an Uncle that lives in St. Jo. That close to you Mo Reb?

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 7
RE: Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the mo... - 5/16/2011 2:01:26 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

I actually have an Uncle that lives in St. Jo. That close to you Mo Reb?

Nah, that's up in northern Missouri. I'm from near (a bit south) Eminence in the Ozarks. Lots to do if you like the outdoors. Did live in the city of St.Louis for a bit some years ago. Not really my thing. So send me to Hell or St.Louis city, they'd be 'bout the same to me.

http://www.eminencemo.com/springscaveshistoricsites.html

A fun fact. The original town of Eminence is located in what is what is now West Eminence, several miles down the road. Union forces burnt the town to the ground and the courthouse of the current town sits where the lead wagon broke down when the locals returned to rebuild.

As far as the Kindle goes I'm kind of a high tech redneck. Not much of one but considering my peers.....

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 5/16/2011 2:19:49 AM >

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Slightly Off Topic- Enemy at the Gates (Not the movie) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI