Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 12/30/2000 8:17:00 AM   
Charles22

Tombstone: It means that since I play by myself, one of the very things you pointed out was
quote:

the single player experience in real time games is pretty weak for the most part
that this may be why I'm keyed up on features, because the real-time experience lacks something from that perspective. It's not just that it's missing "a" feature, but a great many that are inherent to RTS. Can someone make better RTS than AOE and the general features of the market? I would think so. It's nice if an RTS tries to improve on RTS, but SS is a step backward (but more towards characteristics of FPS). I only see SS as great for RTS, featurewise, if it came out a year or two before AOE. I'm not an RTS fan by any means, and I have only AOE to my credit, but at least one would expect the genre to progress, and losing features key to the genre doesn't accomplish that, at least not in SS's case. Later.

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 31
- 12/30/2000 8:25:00 AM   
Tombstone

Sudden Strike is definitely underdeveloped as a system as SPWAW fans are used to it. But we have to realize that it's development is an order of magnitute (or two) more complex a system to refine. Eventually, If SPWAW turns occured for the player during his turn in real time and he had the opportunity to pause at any time and consider his next course of action we would have a turn based system that solved many of the issues dealing with order of movement, opportunity fire, and recon. If you had 4 minutes of 'real' time to move units and give orders and so forth then simultaneous movement would defeat singular enemy unit op-firing debacles and also make a player pay in time for sending forth recon units. The bounding tactics used by so many throughout history would come back into use and the concept of maneuver and fire would be expressed in a truer form. After a turn was over it would be saved into its current state and then sent to the other player. Artillery could be more responsive AND more avoidable... Certainly, it would be a massive adjustment to the current sceme. Tomo

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 32
- 12/30/2000 10:45:00 AM   
MarkFroio

I've wondered about East Front/West Front for awhile. I just saw Europe in Flames for $19.99 at Babbages. Is it worth getting? I've been playing Steel Panthers since SP 1 came out, and I really enjoy it. Does Europe in Flames offer anything that you can't get with SPWAW? What are the campaigns like? Is it worth it now that you can buy it for less than $20? ------------------ "In the field of opportunity it's plowing time again."

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 33
- 12/30/2000 10:51:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

quote:

Originally posted by Max VonLoben: I've wondered about East Front/West Front for awhile. I just saw Europe in Flames for $19.99 at Babbages. Is it worth getting? I've been playing Steel Panthers since SP 1 came out, and I really enjoy it. Does Europe in Flames offer anything that you can't get with SPWAW? What are the campaigns like? Is it worth it now that you can buy it for less than $20?
Just my opinion Max.......but dont miss out on that deal. It is well worth it.

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 34
- 12/30/2000 11:47:00 AM   
lnp4668

And I just purchased it for $39.99 |-(

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 35
- 12/31/2000 3:32:00 AM   
Fabs

I don't know how Sudden Strike developed from the demo that I downloaded earlier this year, but in that there were no machine guns, fro chrissakes! The terrain system was totally flat. Very pretty buildings, and very cinematic encampments, but flat as a pancake. The command system was also very rudimentary. In theory you could control lots of troops, but there was no subtlety to the way you could use them. You could form "instant" battle groups just by selecting troops in a wide area and sending them off in this or that direction, but you could not keep it cohesive from one order to another. My verdict: arcade rubbish. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 36
- 12/31/2000 6:55:00 AM   
Tombstone

-Charles, fair enough I see your point, but I persist in by high opinion of sudden strike. I don't think its a 'great' game, but I certainly enjoy some of the things it does offer that can't be found elsewhere at this point. -Fabs, What I think is awesome about the Sudden Strike single player experience is the pause feature. It allows you to basically get turn based control with a real time execution. In the full version there are TONS of unit types. In a really large defend scenario in the russian campaign I started off by pressing pause and then I queued up a string of commands for a significant percentage of the units. Gathering up a reserve of my scattered tanks, sending riflemen forward a bit to lay mines and return to the resupply truck. Pull back AT guns that are too far forward for my taste, and set up several hot-keyed unit groupings according to my various counterattack plans. It really is a lot of fun. I'm not saying it's the end of all games, I'm just trying to express what value it does have. Tomo

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 37
- 1/1/2001 4:25:00 AM   
Fabs

OK, Tomo, but what about MGs? In the demo there were none, not in the squads and not as separate crews. Are they in the game now? Do they have hills now? What maximum elevation? I also felt that ranges were a problem. Everything was happening far too close. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 38
- 1/1/2001 4:33:00 AM   
Tombstone

There are MG infantrymen, and stationary fixed heavy machineguns that require trucks to move arounds. Not perfect, I know. The pure infantry aspect of the game could certainly have been tweaked toward truer infantry combat. Tomo

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 39
- 1/1/2001 5:24:00 AM   
Dagobert

quote:

Originally posted by Max VonLoben: I've wondered about East Front/West Front for awhile. I just saw Europe in Flames for $19.99 at Babbages. Is it worth getting? I've been playing Steel Panthers since SP 1 came out, and I really enjoy it. Does Europe in Flames offer anything that you can't get with SPWAW? What are the campaigns like? Is it worth it now that you can buy it for less than $20?
The campaigns are pretty good, (except for the random ones which are a bit of a drag). I especially enjoyed the sea-lion one and the German North African campaign in which you command one of Rommel's recon units is pretty nifty as well. Not quite the realism of SPWAW, as has been mentioned, but you'll be getting a lot of game for twenty bucks.

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 40
- 1/1/2001 7:55:00 PM   
Charles22

Tombstone: You have described SS as 'awesome', while I have called it 'rubbish' and 'stinks to the heavens'. What we have at least in the case with me, and probably you, is an overemphasis of it's good or bad qualities. While I agree with another poster that it's arcadic and somewhat FPS or RTS for wargaming, those are very negative qualities for me. For the game falling into those categories I would be more inclined to call it 'fair', but the whole point is that I was having wargaming glasses on and I'm fairly disappointed at the lack of depth in RTS, and even more so in FPS, so that when I somewhat expected at the bare minimum a 'lift' beyond the least detestable of the two (RTS), it surely didn't do that. I have the AOE series representing RTS, and since I threw away any Doom/Doom II I once had, I'm unlikely to buy any more FPS; they're just not worth my time, time I could be using in using my brain a bit more for the likes of SPWAW etc. For FPS/RTS fans, my critique must seem a bit harsh, but I'm sure some of the really super-fans of both categories are severly disappointed as well, though they are putting on their respective different glasses. I don't think many FPS fans expected it to add to their interest in the genre, but that it favors FPS is largely just my observation, I sure didn't expect that going in. Now if I liked the game as you have, I might well have resorted to calling the game 'awesome', but context is quite important, we are in a turn-based environment after all. I wasn't attempting to sway you, indeed, I've had enough years to realise that when someone describes anything as awesome, particularly if they don't parrot that word every chance they get, and it would appear as though you don't, that there's no chance to sway them as only the game can get them down to something more resembling reality. My attempt is to dissuade others from wasting their money, money which in large part would seem to key towards turn or phase-based play. I also take into account that most people don't buy every game that comes out, so that, like I, they're discriminating. If they feel that having more than one visual feast like AOE is not too much icing on the cake, so be it, but at least RTS does have some strategy. I would have to have a hole in my head to be on an FPS forum, and to a lesser degree an RTS one, but if I were I would take that viewpoint in perspective when describing the game, in which case I would likely call it 'fair', but I'm not in those forums. I say if you just "have to" have 'one' RTS WWII game, that "maybe" Empire Earth could be the one (though one may spend almost no time in the WWII era - I'm not sure). That's easy enough for me to say, because Empire Earth from the distance, looks to be so much like AOE, and indeed it's unlikely to actually be considerably worse in RTS aspects, than what the market has been putting out for the last year or two. What the real shame of the game is that I think it's very unlikely to be a crossover game for RTS people, but only make the idea of wargaming in it's current and recent past, more abhorent to them. Unfortunately even Empire Earth, for as good for RTS as it might be, is unlikely to do crossover on RTS fans to WWII wargaming as well, simply because WWII isn't the primary era. So, in the foreseeable future, perhaps the most attractive aspect of RTS, that being upgrading and the strategy involved in that, in WWII form, will be, strangely enough, SPWAW (I now take off my campaigner WWII glasses). [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited January 01, 2001).]

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 41
- 1/2/2001 2:34:00 AM   
Major Tom

I have had Steel Panthers on my computer for years, but, unfortuantely haven't yet had the 3 days to download SPW@W If you are looking for a comparable game, I would suggest that you have found probably the best in its genre here for SPW@W. I wouldn't really place Combat Mission in the same area as SPW@W. It's focus is different from SPW@W, it sports the latest in AI and 3D Graphics suitable for mainstream computers. It looks great and plays fantastically. Its campaign system isn't quite as lengthy and connected as a Steel Panthers type scenario. It is more remaniscent of an improved Age of Rifles campaign. The length of the campaign, or operation, is restricted to just one segment of a battle (ie. the Battle for Arnheim bridge). You keep your 'core' or surviving starting troops througout the game, and sometimes gain reinforcements. I would recommend downloading the Demo. It is't quite as good as the current patched version of the released product, but, it gives a good impression on how gameplay goes. It does take a while to get used to

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 42
- 1/2/2001 2:47:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

Major Tom to download SPW@W i just logged on to AOL and started the download using get right anytime i left the house or went to bed ... sure at some point AOL disconnected me ya know it is going to and i usually meant having to restart the puter from a cold start to get things cleaned up and running right cuz Getright will even try to log ya back on ans that can mess things up but ... This IS a painless way to do it .. and the game is worth it

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 43
- 1/2/2001 3:05:00 AM   
lnp4668

I seens advertisement for SP4 for a while. Do anyone knows what it will be like?

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 44
- 1/2/2001 4:00:00 AM   
Randy

I don't think I've seen anyone mention the game Perfect General! It's weak by todays standards but for me it was a top notch game back in 91/92. All the equipment was generic but at the time I thought it was advanced. Then came along SP in 95/96. With the exception of Art of War, the SP series is the only set of games I've ever played. Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 45
- 1/2/2001 4:22:00 AM   
Charles22

AmmoSgt/Major Tom: When downloading, if you leave one of your windows at this address (and doubtlessly other websites will work - but not just any, but I know this one does) following, AOL will not knock you off: http://www.saint-mike.org/ Excuse me, but it may not work anymore, and considering I have a cable modem now, I cannot test it. I used to think the news ticker it had, kept a seeming activity so that AOL wouldn't log you off, however, I've noticed the news ticker is no longer there. Whether it was the news ticker or not I cannot say, but it may still work, but again, I cannot test it here. If the site will no longer protect you from AOL, I would suggest finding a site with a news ticker (though all of this is a complete guess on my part, all I know is that with news ticker it used to protect me). [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited January 01, 2001).]

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 46
- 1/12/2001 4:42:00 AM   
Blackbird

Perhaps someone here played General? http://newgame.agava.ru/eng/g_news.html OK, it's far from similar to SP, but it's great strategy. Warning: it's about 1Mb to download, and it has almost no graphics. I use it a when I need something different.

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 47
- 1/12/2001 5:09:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

And now we are working on Combat Leader...we need you SP grogs to come over and balance the Close Combat types :-) We want this to be a game you guys will want to play too. IT will have either real time like CC or WEGO turn sequences, so you can pick your poison...

(in reply to lnp4668)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI