Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slope & Terrain Defense

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Slope & Terrain Defense Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slope & Terrain Defense - 10/8/2002 3:41:24 PM   
Alexei

Hi,

I have a dummy question that I wanted to ask for quite a long time... Suppose that I have one Infantry Sqd that is being fired at by another Infantry Sqd.
The ennemy is at ground level (heigth = 0). My sqd is on a hill. Will it be more protected on flat top terrain (10m) than in slope? I saw that slope adds good protection, but if I had the choice as a soldier being fired at, I would find myself more exposed on a slope than on the top of the hill... :confused: :confused:
Finally, does the relative height bring additional protection? Are my MMG more protected on a (height = 15) slope than on a (height = 5) one ?

Thank you,

Alexei.
Post #: 1
- 10/9/2002 2:22:54 AM   
Jim1954

Boy, don't have a clue on your first question but it's a good point. Think I'd rather have been on top of Little Round Top , for instance that on the side of it.

I think that that relative protection for that MMG is relative to the height of what's shooting at it. For example MMG at height of 15 being fired on by AFV at height of 5 seems like same as MMG at height of 10 being fired on by AFV at height of 0. Put that AFV at 5 and maybe the equation changes?

(in reply to Alexei)
Post #: 2
- 10/9/2002 3:20:26 AM   
Belisarius

From what I know, if you have e.g. a tank on a hillslope, chances for a top hit is increased - both for your tank being hit, and that tank firing on another tank below it. I think :confused:

Don't know if infantry is treated similarily.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Alexei)
Post #: 3
- 10/14/2002 3:51:38 PM   
Alexei

Looks like it's a tough problem :) !
Belisarius, Jim1954, thanks for your replies !!!

Alexei.

(in reply to Alexei)
Post #: 4
- 10/16/2002 7:08:38 PM   
Scharfschütze

I dont know how slope affects infantry, except for the fact that slope hexes give better defence that clear hexes.

As for tanks, the effect is significiant. Shooting upwards from a valley to a hill increases the angle at which the shell will impact, and hence armour thickness. The opposite effect takes place vice-versa. Starting a shoot-out with a decently gunnes, well sloped tank on a hilltop is courting disaster. I once shot up a company of Pershings with four IS-3s sitting on top of a lvl 3 hill(with ammo carriers sitting on the reverse side of the hill to keep them supplied with AP). Due to the angle of the shots, the IS-3s had effective armour ratings between 300-500, while the M26s got totally creamed. I didnt lose a single tank to their fire, and was secure all the time I wouldnt.

Okay, the IS-3 is ideal for this purpose, since it already has good slope and thick armour, but the effect is the same for all tanks. Use it, and fear it when this is employed against you (And use smoke to prevent it).

(in reply to Alexei)
Post #: 5
- 10/17/2002 10:29:35 PM   
vahauser

As far as I know, there is no height advantage for Inf vs. Inf firefights. I'm not sure there should be, either. Or, if there should be, then I don't think it should be a big one.

(in reply to Alexei)
Post #: 6
- 10/21/2002 1:52:25 PM   
Tomanbeg

In the real world there was a technique called plunging fire used by HMG's. They would shoot up in the air and let the bullets fall like rain. Sort of an indirect fire for MG's. I'm not sure, but it seems like SP simulates this only, since the Mg's don't make fire lanes like in the real world. No beaten zones in our little hex worlds.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to Alexei)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Slope & Terrain Defense Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI