Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETA on expac?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: ETA on expac? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 4:56:13 AM   
solops

You guys need to be a little more patient with posts like that from the OP. Not all of us frequent the forums that much or that thoroughly. Frankly, this is the first I have heard of a post-RoTS expansion and I am quite intrigued. Where can I find out about it? What news about it is there, including vague timing, i.e. 2011, 2012...? Any general ideas about what may or may not be in it? For those of us for which this expansion is news, these are legitimate questions. Matrix is not well organised on disseminating information in a coherent and easy to find fashion, but they usually get there eventually.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 31
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 7:34:37 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

Where can I find out about it?

There's no way to find out any information, aside from digging through their PHPBBS forums. It's a sore point with me - but Erik has said improvements are being considered.

quote:

What news about it is there, including vague timing, i.e. 2011, 2012...?

The fact that Erik has announced it - albeit informally, I'd expect it "soon". IMO, that means somewhere Q4 of this year. They'd probably want to jump on the X-Mas marketing bandwagon - so a Nov/Dec release wouldn't be a surprise.

*edit*
Actually, I take that back. I don't see any difference between an "official announcement" on the Matrix home page, and an announcement by Erik, posting on the forums in his official capacity. Both hold the weight of being "official announcements", with the only difference being the prominence of the former.

quote:

Any general ideas about what may or may not be in it?

See above regarding finding information. The following is what I've managed to find from Erik's sporadic posts.

Teasers from Erik so far:
- event-triggered space creatures (ie: event triggers creation and/or behaviour (and/or) characteristic change of space creature)
- Territory / Borders
- Unique Faction / Species characteristics and abilities, including victory conditions
- Leaders / Characters for each Faction, of various types and abilities, with the ability to improve
- Allow assignment of high-level objective to automated fleets – defend area, attack enemy, etc
- Offensive settings (do not attack, attack in area, attack in radius)
- Defensive settings (center of operations, local defense, defend system or sector, rapid response)
- Allow display of fleet objectives on either fleet screen and/or on galaxy or galaxy map screen as overlay

quote:

For those of us for which this expansion is news, these are legitimate questions.

More importantly - it can easily translate into pre-order sales. This, however, does not seem to be a priority for Matrix.

quote:

Matrix is not well organised on disseminating information in a coherent and easy to find fashion, but they usually get there eventually.

Is eventually damaging their market presence? What would the cost-benefit return on improvements to Matrix marketing promulgation? But hey - I have a rather weak locus standi; it's for Matrix to decide.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 7/12/2011 8:29:08 PM >

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 32
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 9:13:11 PM   
Igard

I wonder if J HG T has anymore popcorn left...

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 33
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 9:38:35 PM   
Data

Seems I'm next in line after you...should I bring the ale or you? Actually, it's the same ale so doesn't matter

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 34
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 9:50:11 PM   
J HG T

You can keep all the popcorn. They lost their taste for me years ago. *Throws the family sized bag to Igard and Data*
Actually, why I'm even watcing this when I could be playing DW, Guilty Gear X2 or Alpha centauri. Bye lads! *Runs away*

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 35
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 10:00:59 PM   
Igard

Yeah, you're right. Let's go play games.  

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 36
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/12/2011 10:04:29 PM   
Data

well, somebody has to stay and make sure the little kid behaves

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 37
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 12:33:53 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

I guess Igard is playing with himself, then.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 38
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 12:50:55 AM   
ehsumrell1

I think it's time to s t r e t c h my finger and press the green button!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 39
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 1:55:20 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

I think it's time to s t r e t c h my finger and press the green button!

That is one way to eliminate the completely off-topic posts which serve no purpose other than to increment someone's post-count.

Or you could just ask them what their popcorn comments have to do with the issue at hand - that being the ETA of the expansion, and perhaps get them to illuminate us poor souls on the wisdom their dorky gifs contribute to the discussion.

The responses should be interesting - though I suspect they won't go beyond the usual excuses for trolling.

Ref:
wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community." - by the common definition, what they're doing is TROLLING.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 40
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 1:56:58 AM   
Kayoz

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 41
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 4:33:06 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

No actually, I was off playing Distant Worlds. While you were here talking like a Klingon by the looks of things.

My advice to you, Kayoz. Accept that Erik is doing his best, as I'm sure are the rest of the Matrix staff. Don't state your opinions in such a way that is insulting to people who are working hard. Don't repeat those opinions over again until everyone is tired of listening.

That's all. Green button activated.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 42
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 5:40:24 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

No actually, I was off playing Distant Worlds. While you were here talking like a Klingon by the looks of things.

Actually it was JHGT who was babbling way out in left field. Or did the complexity of reading stymie your gathering of information before you started at your keyboard?

Scroll up - I was answering a question - and then certain trolls came into the thread and tried to incite a flame war. You might note that I offered information and responses to his questions. What, do you propose, did JHGT, Data or yourself offer that contributed in ANY WAY to the thread? Given the last question posted by solops, please indicate which post by yourself (or the others) offered anything by way of answering his question?

Or, heaven forbid - were you trolling? Extraneous? Off topic? Inflammatory comments? Indeed, your posts seem to fit quite nicely into the definition of trolling.

I expect that the ignore button is the only way one of your analytical and intellectual prowess can deal with such complicated topics as your own trolling.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 7/13/2011 8:18:45 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 43
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/13/2011 6:48:23 PM   
Webbco

Wow, this is all very volatile! Sad face .

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 44
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 2:48:03 AM   
tjhkkr

This is one of the funnest communities I have seen -- a good crew... I think that is why people are being so careful to keep it that way...
We help each other; we have a laugh... good clean fun.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 45
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 2:56:24 AM   
Facedrop

Kayoz you need to relax. If it were not for the the guys you are currently complaining about, very little would be said on these forums.
Furthermore you are bringing this thread even further off topic with your complaints.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 46
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 5:36:04 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Facedrop

Kayoz you need to relax. If it were not for the the guys you are currently complaining about, very little would be said on these forums.
Furthermore you are bringing this thread even further off topic with your complaints.

Perhaps you should direct your advice to the above trolls, instead of complaining about my outing them for the trolls that they are.

Regardless of your position as to who's at fault - the question is still unanswered, as to what they've contributed to the thread, beyond posts which fit perfectly with the definition of "trolling". Care to take a poke at answering the question? Or I'd be happy if you just tried to answer solops' queries and ignore the all-too-obvious implications of the preceding question.

(in reply to Facedrop)
Post #: 47
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 8:51:09 AM   
MaxyGamer

Soooooo .... *sips some coffee and procrastinates some work* ......um ...what's the ETA on expac?

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 48
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 8:55:28 AM   
Hanny

quote:

Perhaps you should direct your advice to the above trolls, instead of complaining about my outing them for the trolls that they are.

Not required, they (the many posters you reffered to as trolls) do not need such advice, you however do. Here is further advice, your attention seeking posts indicate a very sad person, try talking to a friend in real life about your issues and resolve them, rather than clutter up this board with your attempts to show how clever you are, (which backfires every time you attempt it in spades btw). Its your disruptive posting style that is the problem on multiple threads, not others, my last advice would be to stop posting until you have settled your attention deficite/lack of compliment, need to be cleverer than others, issues.

quote:

Regardless of your position as to who's at fault - the question is still unanswered, as to what they've contributed to the thread, beyond posts which fit perfectly with the definition of "trolling". Care to take a poke at answering the question? Or I'd be happy if you just tried to answer solops' queries and ignore the all-too-obvious implications of the preceding question.

Trying to be clever again*, and failing, compared to your contributions on these forums for DW advancment and information for interested readers, those posters are giants compared to your contribution.

*If your going to call others trolls, best not to be be doing the same yourself,a and doing it first, all from this thread.

quote:

quote:

I think the surfing technical level in Arizona is about at my skill level...

quote:

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
James Branch Cabell, in The Silver Stallion : A Comedy of Redemption (1926)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually it was JHGT who was babbling way out in left field. Or did the complexity of reading stymie your gathering of information before you started at your keyboard?

Scroll up - I was answering a question - and then certain trolls came into the thread and tried to incite a flame war. You might note that I offered information and responses to his questions.

quote:

That is one way to eliminate the completely off-topic posts which serve no purpose other than to increment someone's post-count.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 7/14/2011 9:32:38 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 49
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 10:32:55 AM   
J HG T

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaxyGamer

Soooooo .... *sips some coffee and procrastinates some work* ......um ...what's the ETA on expac?

No official word yet. Many think that it will come out late 2011 or early 2012. My (optimistic) guess is the 4th quarter of this year.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 7/14/2011 10:52:03 AM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 50
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 12:02:44 PM   
MaxyGamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaxyGamer

No official word yet. Many think that it will come out late 2011 or early 2012. My (optimistic) guess is the 4th quarter of this year.

Yeah, my thoughts, or, rather, hopes exactly. I, of course, would greatly appreciate if the date is 31/12/11 and not 01/01/12. That way I can keep telling myself that the release is this year. Silly boy!

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 51
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 12:07:52 PM   
Data

quote:

That way I can keep telling myself that the release is this year

You seem to be reading minds....wait, that was you not me....well, yes, that's silly....no?

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 52
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 1:30:23 PM   
Webbco

I'm hoping that Elliot can afford to employ someone else to see it through a bit quicker! I can't imagine just one guy by himself spending all this time continuosly developing one game....

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 53
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 3:53:49 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanny

Not required, they (the many posters you reffered to as trolls) do not need such advice, you however do. Here is further advice, your attention seeking posts indicate a very sad person, try talking to a friend in real life about your issues and resolve them, rather than clutter up this board with your attempts to show how clever you are, (which backfires every time you attempt it in spades btw). Its your disruptive posting style that is the problem on multiple threads, not others, my last advice would be to stop posting until you have settled your attention deficite/lack of compliment, need to be cleverer than others, issues.

Why are you telling me where to direct my advice? I didn't advise - it was Facedrop. I simply identified - correctly it seems - the posts as being nothing more than trolling.

And why are you now making personal attacks? Do you honestly feel you know me well enough to be drawing conclusions as to my state of mind? Do you feel yourself empowered with some mystical knowledge that you can divine the purposes of others from a few lines of ASCII text? Is this power limited to text, or can you read the minds of others - perhaps commune with the dead, or have been given special secret wisdom by a higher power? I fear for you, Hanna - I really do.

quote:

Trying to be clever again*, and failing, compared to your contributions on these forums for DW advancment and information for interested readers, those posters are giants compared to your contribution.

Explain? How was JHGT's references to popcorn, and Data's references to kiddies - "a giant of contribution" as you assert?

I would be most interested to hear your explanation as to how those posts were not trolling - yet mine - which was attempting to answer a set of questions in a post - was trolling. Please expand on your statement.

quote:

*If your going to call others trolls, best not to be be doing the same yourself,a and doing it first, all from this thread.

1. Irony was in reference to the questions posed as to the reasons for CookieMonster's comments on beaches in Arizona. Right or wrong, it was relevant to the thread.
2. The "troll spray" can, you will find, is quite commonly used as an un-subtle method of informing trolls that their "contributions" are not wanted.
And so on. You seem to be picking posts that you don't agree with, rather than posts which are off-topic. Perhaps you should go back and re-read the definition of "trolling". Your lack of agreement with a statement does not, in fact, make a poster troll.

In all seriousness, Hanny - stop it with the personal attacks. They're uncalled for. If you want a flame war, just say so.

And as for your confidence regarding my motivations and mental state - please see a psychiatrist immediately. The delusional state of mind can sometimes be corrected with medication and psychotherapy.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 54
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/14/2011 4:06:08 PM   
Data

Hanny, don't be his enabler....it can't get anywhere anyway, it's just background noise.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 55
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/15/2011 12:44:38 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco
I'm hoping that Elliot can afford to employ someone else to see it through a bit quicker! I can't imagine just one guy by himself spending all this time continuosly developing one game....

In some ways, I agree with you, but when you know a system... it takes no time at all, it really is not as hard. I personally would want a second programmer just for the second set of eyes... but.

Back in the days when I programmed to put three square meals on the table, I had a Star Trek game, and after a while, you just KNOW how everything works, so it is not as difficult to add stuff...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 56
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/15/2011 12:46:43 AM   
tjhkkr

Hey IGard: I thought the little green button made you disappear with that cloaking device of yours...
I did not know it made the other guys disappear. You are cloaking someone else... clever little Romulan!
Now if we could just cloak Data's beard...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 57
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/15/2011 12:58:39 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Now if we could just cloak Data's beard...

Did somebody say, 'Data's beard'?

http://databeard.ytmnd.com/

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 58
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/15/2011 5:25:55 AM   
tjhkkr

Did somebody say, 'Data's beard'?

http://databeard.ytmnd.com/

That is just evil!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 59
RE: ETA on expac? - 7/15/2011 5:37:55 AM   
ehsumrell1

Wow...that's hilarious!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: ETA on expac? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI