Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/2/2001 9:16:00 PM   
Kluckenbill

I'd like to see a "Delay" option for PBEM games. The defending unit would fire at attackers until they returned fire, then it would retreat. The current method of fighting until destroyed is realistic for the Main Line of Resistance, but not for a delaying force. I'd also still like to see improvements in the Op FIre routine for PBEM. I know this has been addressed before and is unlikely to happen, but hey, I tried. I'd also like to reduce the effectiveness of infantry close-assaulting tanks. I think their effectiveness should be based on their organic AT weapons, not some mysterious close assault capability. I too like the idea of a "Pause" capability during the AI's move. My wife and kids always have issues that need to be addressed immediately, right when I spring the big ambush and I have to make Op Fire decisions. Finally, thanks for a truly amazing game. I play SPWAW far more than any other computer game. Rest assured that when you guys start selling stuff I'll be buying. ------------------ Target, Cease Fire !

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 31
- 1/2/2001 10:42:00 PM   
Charles22

One thing that this close-assault on tanks brings to mind, is that one of the factors of tanks surviving is it's speed when attacked. The problem here is that tanks don't retain their speed. So if you would wish to somewhat simulate an overrun attack, you would need to back up a few hexes to get a head of steam, whether the previous turn you were at full speed or not. I guess it's a difficult concept. If the prior turn tha tank were going fast, and it's statinoary on the turn, wouldn't it have to be zooming around the hex, to actually be going that fast and continue in that hex? If that were so, then surely the tank will be exposing some of it's flank and rear at times to enemy fire.

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 32
- 1/3/2001 7:38:00 AM   
Cona

What about re-thinking Command & Control ? I like the option and never played without it, but "no step back" once an objective is set is a bit drastic. Other problem of C&C deals with transport type units who which objetives usually aren´t VH but move troops and vehicles and have to wait several turns to build up enough orders points. Of course, remains the frequently mentioned problem of the squads that being isolated cannot move in no way, even being experienced troops. Saludos a todos, Cona.

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 33
- 1/3/2001 10:06:00 AM   
kao16

Let player fire smoke dischargers in Op-fire. e.g. Puma armoured cars in cover when T34/85s (lots of them) suddenly appear and start shooting at them - I'm pretty sure the chance of penetrating with the 50mm L60 on front armour isn't good, and when I'm out numbered 7 - 2, discretion is the better part of valour. I want to be able to pop smoke to protect my vehicles ratehr than get into a fire-fight with people I can't hurt but can blow me away.

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 34
- 1/3/2001 11:04:00 AM   
Anzac

Gidday folks. I love all these ideas but I particularly like the previous one abt being able to pop smoke as opportunity fire. That's a hell cool idea. It's like a featherweight taking on a heavyweight when you have a tank vs. a/c situation. So getting out of it would be cool. I also like the idea of different icons for tank/infantry kills. Anyway I know that whatever improvements the dudes at Matrix make will just make the game even better. Can anyone remember ver. 1.0? How far SPWAW has come! Long live SPWAW! ------------------ Anzac "Lest We Forget"

Anzac "Lest We Forget"

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 35
- 1/4/2001 1:58:00 AM   
heintz28

I really like that defensive smoke idea... also I'd like to see the addition of infantry casualties and unitID to the scrolling messages in the bottom right corner. [This message has been edited by heintz28 (edited January 03, 2001).]

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 36
- 1/4/2001 2:00:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: -Surrendering player shouldn't get points for his victory hexes.
This is important in league SPWAW where the points are the only thing that matters. A player can rush to the vhexes and surrender, getting a few thousand points while his opponent gets nothing. By the by, is it intentional that non-moving units with advance stance go "In cover"?

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 37
- 1/4/2001 3:02:00 AM   
Beetlecat

quote:

Originally posted by Anzac: Gidday folks. I love all these ideas but I particularly like the previous one abt being able to pop smoke as opportunity fire. That's a hell cool idea. It's like a featherweight taking on a heavyweight when you have a tank vs. a/c situation. So getting out of it would be cool. I also like the idea of different icons for tank/infantry kills. Anyway I know that whatever improvements the dudes at Matrix make will just make the game even better. Can anyone remember ver. 1.0? How far SPWAW has come! Long live SPWAW!
Yes indeed! SPWaW has to be one of the greatest stories of the last 1000 years. Regarding the popping of smoke, am I on drugs, or did this happen quite frequently in SP1? I remember moving an AFV forward and ending my turn only to see tank after tank appear and start firing back. The only thing that saved it was the fact that either it or an adjacent vehicle popped smoke in the line of sight of the opposing vehicles. This happened quite often and probably doesn't appear now due to the fact that SP3 may not have had this type of op fire.. As for tank/inf/gun/truck kills being indicated... It would be nice but not crucial -layne

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 38
- 1/7/2001 2:15:00 AM   
Kharan

-Make reinforcement hexes stick. You can't even set them in an empty map without battle generator resetting them. -Why isn't there more breakdowns in forests? Or is the text just missing in terrain.txt? -Add "D - Fire smoke grenades" in gamehelp.txt. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited January 06, 2001).]

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 39
- 1/7/2001 2:04:00 PM   
Reg

quote:

Originally posted by Cona: When I play PBEM (and I have not played a lot) I can always see (in the version 4.5) the exchanges of shots between my units and the enemy, but I cannot see the enemy units moving it faces of mine neither to know that they made it although they have been seen by several of my units if they begin and they finish their movement in some hexagon where they are hidden to the eyes of my troops. Do you understand me? It is for this reason that I think that the VCR should be improved.
I agree that VCR should include movement because if an opposing unit quickly passes across a gap in the trees without firing (and generating an event), you will never know he passed that way. However, by generating and recording more events we could end up with a huge VCR file situation like we had with v4.4 (and memory allocation probs of v4.5). I'm afraid we may have to live with the programmers technicial advice on this one. Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Harry)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI